Sign in to follow this  
DEEZNUTS

Did Kyler Murray Throw A Slider?

Nah, just looks like a Patrick Mahomes knuckle curveball, lol.

18 hours ago, DEEZNUTS said:

Please settle a debate I'm having with someone in my FF league...

I stand by Kyler Murray throwing a slider on this play. 

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1437107255653113857?s=20

No, the angle and trajectory of the ball just make it look like it.  Look at the field when Murray releases the ball, focusing in on where the ball is in relation to the "20" paint.  Then draw a straight line perpendicular to the end zone.  The ball going up and down with the camera moving makes the ball appear to be breaking.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:52 PM, DEEZNUTS said:

Please settle a debate I'm having with someone in my FF league...

I stand by Kyler Murray throwing a slider on this play. 

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1437107255653113857?s=20

No, it is the camera angle fooling you.  He threw basically right on top of a number, and it was caught basically right on top of where a number would be.

The shape of a football, combined with the spiral you throw it with, would make it impossible to throw a slider (or any curving pitch).  The only way it is getting that lateral movement is from outside forces, such as wind.

1 hour ago, Kelvarr said:

The shape of a football, combined with the spiral you throw it with, would make it impossible to throw a slider (or any curving pitch).  The only way it is getting that lateral movement is from outside forces, such as wind.

Yes and no.  A rotating object will drift right or left, depending on the direction it is spinning--but the effect is due to the pull of gravity on the rotating object.  So yes, the drift is due to an outside force--but it's an outside force that is always present.

That said, it would be difficult to observe the effect in a thrown football, because even for a rapidly spinning bullet, the effect is only about 8 inches at 1000 yards.

• Like 1