Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

different scoring leagues

I am playing in a league this fall that weighs heavily towards the qb position. 6 points for tds and alot of bonus points. I haven't played in a league like that. I was wondering if draft completely different. I can see picking a qb a little sooner but I would still think you would want to get rbs and wrs before qbs. Also, this league plays IDP. I really have do idea when to draft them. your thoughts

I'd only change draft tactics if the bonus' heavily favored a small group of QB's over the field.  Otherwise, the structure is irrelevant because the scoring rules apply to all QB's.  Last year, the top 5 scoring QB's in a standard league were Allen, Herbert, Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers... one ran a bunch, two ran a decent amount, and two ran almost never. 

In a league like yours, that I was in last year, the top 5 were Allen, Brady, Herbert, Mahomes, and Stafford.  Rodgers was 8th.  Not really much of a difference.  I didn't change my approach in that league from my other league.

• Like 1

It probably depends on how "alot of bonus points" are earned.  Otherwise, like TBay said, the rules apply to all QBs equally.  But you know, if you get a +5 if your QB runs for more than 50 yards in a game, or you get points for pass attempts as opposed to just yardage and TDs, those kinds of things could influence draft priority more than just 6 pt TDs.

Yea no change, no qbs should be drafted until the double digit rounds.  

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

It probably depends on how "alot of bonus points" are earned.  Otherwise, like TBay said, the rules apply to all QBs equally.  But you know, if you get a +5 if your QB runs for more than 50 yards in a game, or you get points for pass attempts as opposed to just yardage and TDs, those kinds of things could influence draft priority more than just 6 pt TDs.

Agreed.

Well, it depends on how balanced the scoring system is.

I've mostly played in 6 pt passing TD leagues, and I can't say it makes big difference to draft a QB a lot earlier. Perhaps you should look for a QB a round or two earlier, but nothing too drastic like moving up from round 10 to round 2 to draft a QB or something like that.

As for bonus points? Well, that depends on what they are. If there are seemingly equal bonuses for rushing and receiving pts, then I wouldn't factor it in much. If they drastically seem to favor QBs though? Then yes, it could mean you should draft a QB earlier.

22 minutes ago, polecatt said:

If they drastically seem to favor QBs though? Then yes, it could mean you should draft a QB earlier.

I don't think this changes anything either because all QB's are affected the same.  The gap between QB's and RB's is irrelevant, it's the gap between each other that is.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'd only change draft tactics if the bonus' heavily favored a small group of QB's over the field.  Otherwise, the structure is irrelevant because the scoring rules apply to all QB's.  Last year, the top 5 scoring QB's in a standard league were Allen, Herbert, Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers... one ran a bunch, two ran a decent amount, and two ran almost never. 

In a league like yours, that I was in last year, the top 5 were Allen, Brady, Herbert, Mahomes, and Stafford.  Rodgers was 8th.  Not really much of a difference.  I didn't change my approach in that league from my other league.

its not so much about ranking.

its about how the rule changes affect one certain aspect.

how big a point advantage do you have if the best QB available give you compared to what you would likely score if you grabbed a QB in the next round.

while the ranking of QB's may not change dramatically if the scoring system changes,  the difference between the top 2 or 3 QB's vs the rest may.

for example with 6 point TD's I wouldnt expect a huge different in the rankings, but those QB's who throw a lot of TD passes will perhaps give you a larger advantage over those who do not.

so a top QB may be more desireable because he gives you an extra 2-3 points per game advantage when playing with 6 point TD's .    That may be enough to make you take a QB instead of a RB at certain points in the draft where you perhaps wouldnt before.

it may not hurt to get the previous years draft results (if they are available) to see how the first 2 rounds typically break down.    if the first round is 8 RB's 2 WR's and 2 QB's  you probably are not changing your strategy a whole lot.  but if the first round is more QB's than RB's you probably need to find out how the rule changes are affecting peoples overall rankings and make your own adjustments.

usually that tells the tale in terms of where you likely need to go but it may not be a bad idea to look at the previous draft to see also if you dont take a QB at a certain point in the draft, how many QB's are likely to go off the board before you pick again.   and how many fantasy points do you lose at the QB position.   then do the same thing for RB.    pick the alternative where you are likely to score the most.    

I do realize this years draft wont go the same as last years, but the draft percentages usually dont change a whole lot in one year.  maybe last year 6 RB's went in round 1 and this year maybe its 5 (or 7) but the overall numbers generally wont change a ton from year to year.

2 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

its not so much about ranking.

its about how the rule changes affect one certain aspect.

how big a point advantage do you have if the best QB available give you compared to what you would likely score if you grabbed a QB in the next round.

while the ranking of QB's may not change dramatically if the scoring system changes,  the difference between the top 2 or 3 QB's vs the rest may.

for example with 6 point TD's I wouldnt expect a huge different in the rankings, but those QB's who throw a lot of TD passes will perhaps give you a larger advantage over those who do not.

so a top QB may be more desireable because he gives you an extra 2-3 points per game advantage when playing with 6 point TD's .    That may be enough to make you take a QB instead of a RB at certain points in the draft where you perhaps wouldnt before.

it may not hurt to get the previous years draft results (if they are available) to see how the first 2 rounds typically break down.    if the first round is 8 RB's 2 WR's and 2 QB's  you probably are not changing your strategy a whole lot.  but if the first round is more QB's than RB's you probably need to find out how the rule changes are affecting peoples overall rankings and make your own adjustments.

usually that tells the tale in terms of where you likely need to go but it may not be a bad idea to look at the previous draft to see also if you dont take a QB at a certain point in the draft, how many QB's are likely to go off the board before you pick again.   and how many fantasy points do you lose at the QB position.   then do the same thing for RB.    pick the alternative where you are likely to score the most.    

I do realize this years draft wont go the same as last years, but the draft percentages usually dont change a whole lot in one year.  maybe last year 6 RB's went in round 1 and this year maybe its 5 (or 7) but the overall numbers generally wont change a ton from year to year.

Agreed.  When I said "small group of QB's over the field", the word "field" was specific to the QB field.  My wording was vague and could've been misinterpreted.  My bad.  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed.  When I said "small group of QB's over the field", the word "field" was specific to the QB field.  My wording was vague and could've been misinterpreted.  My bad.  :thumbsup:

its all good.  we have made it a bit more clear.   In general it feels like we agree

16 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think this changes anything either because all QB's are affected the same.  The gap between QB's and RB's is irrelevant, it's the gap between each other that is.

The bigger the scoring the more the margin between each is gonna be.

Besides, RBs aren't relevant in the way they used to be, and WRs are plentiful. So if there's a big time imbalance in QB scoring, then getting a top QB would be important