Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Where to draft IDP players

I have never played in a league with IDP before. When I do a mock they stat drafting them in the 5th round that seems really early. We play qb, 2 rbs, 2 wrs, 2 Tes, 2 flex and 2 IDP. Appreciate any help

With only 2 IDPs, there will always be a ton of legitimate starters available on waivers.

Draft your IDPs with your Kickers and Defenses, and actively stream them.

• Like 2

as late as allowed. I have a dynasty team with 7 starting idp.  2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB and 1 defensive player. The defensive player spot is always filled with an inside backer or a tackling safety. 

New high tackle players emerge off waivers EVERY season. 

I don't do any redraft with IDP anymore because IDP is awful in general, but if I did, I would let everyone else overdraft the Donalds and Watts (TJ) of the world and I will be perfectly fine being the last to pick my defensive players. 

9 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

What is the scoring for the IDP? How many points for tackles, sacks, etc?

sack = 1

sack yardage lost = 1/5yards lost

tackle = 1

tackle for lost = 2

interception = 1

return yards on int = 1/10 yards

fumble recovery = 1

fumble return = 1/ 10 yards

forced fumble = 1

safety = 2

solo tackle = 2

assisted tackle = 1

10 plus tackles bonus = 5

3 hours ago, gitrdun said:

sack = 1

sack yardage lost = 1/5yards lost

tackle = 1

tackle for lost = 2

interception = 1

return yards on int = 1/10 yards

fumble recovery = 1

fumble return = 1/ 10 yards

forced fumble = 1

safety = 2

solo tackle = 2

assisted tackle = 1

10 plus tackles bonus = 5

Ok. 

So I've done quite a few IDP leagues over the years and one of my major leagues I do is IDP. The best advice is draft your starters first at WR, RB, and maybe TE. Try to grab a backup at the spots too. So really maybe around round 8. And stay to that even when Darius Leonard goes early. But make sure you get a stud linebacker or two to put there. They are going to contribute to your team more than the 3rd or 4th running back most likely and they will start every week. If you get the 2 stud linebackers, then grab your QB and then look for best available offensive and defensive players and take them as the ADP falls.

Also, look for middle linebackers on bad teams. 

• Like 1

There are only about 256 legitimate IDP candidates in the NFL on any given week, so be sure to get yours early and often.

Hey, you're right, it DOES feel good to mislead people!

I've been doing it wrong all these years!

This is great!

BREAKING NEWS: AxeElf with another crappy take and more bad fantasy advice....Experts are saying to ignore what he says in every way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

BREAKING NEWS: AxeElf with another crappy take and more bad fantasy advice....Experts are saying to ignore what he says in every way.

It was a joke, Brainiac.  I was parodying the post above mine, in which some idiot was suggesting that IDP players are important enough to draft in the 8th round.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

It was a joke, Brainiac.  I was parodying the post above mine, in which some idiot was suggesting that IDP players are important enough to draft in the 8th round.

"Maybe around round 8" is not "Should draft in round 8" you dope.

OP- again....get your starters at the offensive positions like RB, WR, TE definitely. Feel out when the draft starts to look like it is going heavy defensive players then jump in.

Again- a Darius Leonard is going to be more valuable to your team than a 4th receiver or 3rd running back most weeks (obviously depending on how many starters you play each week)

Or do the sensible thing and take your two IDPs in the last two rounds based on Week 1 matchups and stream.

4 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

"Maybe around round 8" is not "Should draft in round 8" you dope.

You are correct, "maybe around round 8" means anywhere from round 6 to round 10.

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 FLEX

1 WR BACKUP

1 RB backup.

2+2+1+1+1+1= 8....So no it is not "round 6"...Round 8 is the highest anyone should conceivably go. 

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

Round 8 is the highest anyone should conceivably go.

And if you double that, Round 16 is the highest that any IDP should go.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

And if you double that, Round 16 is the highest that any IDP should go.

No that is a stupid take and dumb advice. 

53 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

What round do you draft your Kickers?  "Around" round 9?

3 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

What round do you draft your Kickers?  "Around" round 9?

Last round. 

You are being intentionally obtuse. 

3 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Last round. 

You are being intentionally obtuse. 

Since Kickers and IDPs are approximately equal in relative availability and relative value, how do you justify taking IDPs so much earlier than Kickers?

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Since Kickers and IDPs are approximately equal in relative availability and relative value, how do you justify taking IDPs so much earlier than Kickers?

They aren't though. You are just telling yourself that to justify your stupid advice. 

6 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

They aren't though. You are just telling yourself that to justify your stupid advice.

They are though.  You are just trapped in the illusion that they're not.

Wanna put your money where your fingers are?

You choose any IDP you want--you're the first guy to pick an IDP in the draft in the 6th round and you choose...?

You will have him all 17 weeks.  I will stream an IDP each week from the remaining IDPs in the NFL.

You score more points on the year, I pay you $20; I score more points on the year, you pay me $20.

Any week your guy misses a complete game due to an official injury designation, I don't pick an IDP and we both score 0 for that week.

Deal?

8 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

They are though.  You are just trapped in the illusion that they're not.

Wanna put your money where your fingers are?

You choose any IDP you want--you're the first guy to pick an IDP in the draft in the 6th round and you choose...?

You will have him all 17 weeks.  I will stream an IDP each week from the remaining IDPs in the NFL.

You score more points on the year, I pay you $20; I score more points on the year, you pay me $20.

Any week your guy misses a complete game due to an official injury designation, I don't pick an IDP and we both score 0 for that week.

Deal?

I don't pick IDPs in the 6th round. Where are you getting this stuff?

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

I don't pick IDPs in the 6th round. Where are you getting this stuff?

I just pulled a number as an example of the earliest someone might pick an IDP to convey the notion that you get to pick anyone you want.  Pick 1.01 if you choose.

So, tailtuck?

It's not a tailtuck- it's you setting up an impossible situation. 

Case in point I am saying you do not wait until the last picks, you are saying you do. So the reality of the situation should be I pick my first guy and then you can not pick anyone who would go before like the 3rd to last round in the draft considering that is when you would be picking them.

Also, a challenge was posed for a fantasy league between people here. You never responded. 

17 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

It's not a tailtuck- it's you setting up an impossible situation. 

Case in point I am saying you do not wait until the last picks, you are saying you do. So the reality of the situation should be I pick my first guy and then you can not pick anyone who would go before like the 3rd to last round in the draft considering that is when you would be picking them.

Fair enough.  You pick your guy and designate 19 other IDPs who would have been drafted and thus off the waiver wire.

I'll stream my guy each week from the other 587 IDPs other than the 20 you have excluded.

17 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Also, a challenge was posed for a fantasy league between people here. You never responded.

Yeah, I posted it, Brainiac.

In fact, I typically post 2-3 opportunities to compete against the legend that is Axe Elf every season, and I have yet to get one off the ground.  I get a couple of prop bets, maybe, but nobody wanting the season-long headache of dealing with Axe Elf in a fantasy football league.

So the tail is tucked on the other butt.

49 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Fair enough.  You pick your guy and designate 19 other IDPs who would have been drafted and thus off the waiver wire.

I'll stream my guy each week from the other 587 IDPs other than the 20 you have excluded.

Yeah, I posted it, Brainiac.

In fact, I typically post 2-3 opportunities to compete against the legend that is Axe Elf every season, and I have yet to get one off the ground.  I get a couple of prop bets, maybe, but nobody wanting the season-long headache of dealing with Axe Elf in a fantasy football league.

So the tail is tucked on the other butt.

I'll do it but I'm not sending money or my name over the Internet to someone. How about winner gets to choose the loser's board name from the end of the season until week 1 of 2023?

1 minute ago, Sean Mooney said:

I'll do it but I'm not sending money or my name over the Internet to someone. How about winner gets to choose the loser's board name from the end of the season until week 1 of 2023?

The integrity of the Axe Elf brand is worth more than some random internet bet; no deal.

I'd do it for free, though, just to have a thread on record where people in future years can point to it and say, "See?  You should never draft IDPs before the last rounds."

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The integrity of the Axe Elf brand is worth more than some random internet bet; no deal.

I'd do it for free, though, just to have a thread on record where people in future years can point to it and say, "See?  You should never draft IDPs before the last rounds."

Yeah- right....people really count on "Axe Elf"

Fine...the name change thing would be more worthwhile but I'll get enjoyment out of proving you wrong. 

39 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Yeah- right....people really count on "Axe Elf"

Fine...the name change thing would be more worthwhile but I'll get enjoyment out of proving you wrong. 

Yes guru 

18 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

10 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

So you've decided on condescension? 

12 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

So you don't know what "condescension" means?

I think it is when humid air sticks to glass and turns into water.