Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

** 2023 Golf Talk Thread **

headed to orlando for a 4 day trip this Wednesday. 16 guys. Made sure to set dad’s wake for the day after I get back ;)

52 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

i've been considering the 790's for a while. 

got to play a few rounds last week when we had high 70s here. 

I love my SIM driver, 3w, and 5w and wouldn't trade them for anything. When it comes to irons - I'm a Titlesit guy. The T-series can't be beat in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I love my SIM driver, 3w, and 5w and wouldn't trade them for anything. When it comes to irons - I'm a Titlesit guy. The T-series can't be beat in my opinion. 

I’ve been browsing for a pre owned sim 3 wood. Original not sim 2. My rental set in Spain was sim woods and p790 irons. Didn’t care for the driver but loved the 3 wood. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I’ve been browsing for a pre owned sim 3 wood. Original not sim 2. My rental set in Spain was sim woods and p790 irons. Didn’t care for the driver but loved the 3 wood. 

My D and woods are original 2020 SIM. I did not care for SIM 2 and want no part of Stealth at this point. 

2 hours ago, bostonlager said:

My D and woods are original 2020 SIM. I did not care for SIM 2 and want no part of Stealth at this point. 

I have a stealth 2, by far the best driver I've ever hit. Didn't care for either SIM driver.

I didn't have the original from 1991, but I had the Warbirds from the mid 90s. 

I had a warbird 3 wood as my first "driver"

i've seen some of those vids. about what I would expect, especially from a good golfer. A good golfer can play with anything. Of course they will prefer the newer tech that they can max out. I think as you get higher in handicap and to your weekend hackers, the technology is so much more beneficial in terms of forgiveness, bigger sweet spots, lighter shafts and heads and shock absorption (on those off center hits)

saw some videos of one of those annoying "IG golfers" the other day. His gimmick seems to be his pause at the top of his backswing. Or at least thats part of what got him his following. He capitalizes on it with videos focused on it... for example he has to answer trivia questions while paused at the top of his backswing before he can follow through, etc. 

only reason I mention it is that in one of his vids he finally did pauses during his putts. Didn't do any research but am wondering if this is legal. It almost seems to me that taking your putter back and pausing and then finally following through could be pretty beneficial for anyone who struggles with "yips" or just basic nerves over shorter putts. Eliminate any mechanical issue during a normal take back and follow through that causes you to push or pull a putt off your intended line. You could take the putter back, pause, look at the hole and bring your eyes back down to the ball, and just push forward when you feel confident. Basically eliminate the back stroke from the equation completely = just focus on the follow through = easier to keep the ball on your intended line?

I have no idea. have not tried it. If it did help, I would think it only helps for short putts. 

idk, its out off season here and i'm bored between indoor sim sessions :lol:

In the market for a new bag.  My sun mountain still is fine but the red is faded pretty well.  

I didn't walk as much this year for whatever reason.  But im usually 60/40 in favor of riding.   So I need a stand bag, but I opt for the bigger models. 

Im open to keeping with sun mountain, it was a solid bag.  But for the super fun thrills I may just try a different brand.   

Ill save that looking for after the 1st of the year.  Those are the long months and golf will be on the mind.  

32 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

In the market for a new bag.  My sun mountain still is fine but the red is faded pretty well.  

I didn't walk as much this year for whatever reason.  But im usually 60/40 in favor of riding.   So I need a stand bag, but I opt for the bigger models. 

Im open to keeping with sun mountain, it was a solid bag.  But for the super fun thrills I may just try a different brand.   

Ill save that looking for after the 1st of the year.  Those are the long months and golf will be on the mind.  

i had a hoofer as a junior golfer and wore it into the ground. Replaced it... damn, probably been 8 years now... with a new hoofer. I had stayed away when they were using retractable straps and that nonsense. 

My old hoofer would always lean/slump on the back of a cart but my newer one has been great. Stays upright and in place. They probably have individual divider style options if one really wants. 

I also walk a lot but have opted for a push/pull cart when I do and my current hoofer has no issues on a hand cart. 

some might say its an overrated bag because its Ping and that titleist or sun mountain are better but I think all are good. Sun Mountain was super trendy 20 years ago and have continued to make quality bags. 

4 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

saw some videos of one of those annoying "IG golfers" the other day. His gimmick seems to be his pause at the top of his backswing. Or at least thats part of what got him his following. He capitalizes on it with videos focused on it... for example he has to answer trivia questions while paused at the top of his backswing before he can follow through, etc. 

only reason I mention it is that in one of his vids he finally did pauses during his putts. Didn't do any research but am wondering if this is legal. It almost seems to me that taking your putter back and pausing and then finally following through could be pretty beneficial for anyone who struggles with "yips" or just basic nerves over shorter putts. Eliminate any mechanical issue during a normal take back and follow through that causes you to push or pull a putt off your intended line. You could take the putter back, pause, look at the hole and bring your eyes back down to the ball, and just push forward when you feel confident. Basically eliminate the back stroke from the equation completely = just focus on the follow through = easier to keep the ball on your intended line?

I have no idea. have not tried it. If it did help, I would think it only helps for short putts. 

idk, its out off season here and i'm bored between indoor sim sessions :lol:

Have you come across DOD guy? (Driver of the deck.) he’s a 20 something d-bag that says using tees equals cheating and he has IG beefs with other guys that hit off the deck. I want to punch them all in the face but I also follow and watch their posts. I guess I’m just he loser here 

1 hour ago, BiffTannen said:

Have you come across DOD guy? (Driver of the deck.) he’s a 20 something d-bag that says using tees equals cheating and he has IG beefs with other guys that hit off the deck. I want to punch them all in the face but I also follow and watch their posts. I guess I’m just he loser here 

i found him briefly via the backswing pause guy.   total nozzle. 

I’m good going into this year equipment wise.  No need for upgrades at this point. 

D- 3W- 5W - OG 2020 Sim Max - 

5- PW, 48, 53 - 2021 Titleist T-300

58 - Taylormade hi-toe full face 

64- Cleveland Zipcore hi-toe full face 

Putter - 2020 spider tour black 

Played 18 today, mid-December. 60 degrees, incredible time with the fellas, Southern Indiana. 

Global warming might be real and, it's glorious.

I have been thinking about ditching the 3W for a TM mini- driver in the 13.5 model. I never but 3W off the ground and feel like the mini may be better for off the tee 

Just now, Reality said:

Played 18 today, mid-December. 60 degrees, incredible time with the fellas, Southern Indiana. 

Global warming might be real and, it's glorious.

Cincinnati here. I litter and leave lights on for no reason hoping it keeps the snow away from these parts. 

2 hours ago, BiffTannen said:

I have been thinking about ditching the 3W for a TM mini- driver in the 13.5 model. I never but 3W off the ground and feel like the mini may be better for off the tee 

i did something similar a while back by getting a callaway xhot 3deep. deeper face, really designed to be an off the tee 3 wood.

no clue why I did this. I love my driver and would never opt to hit this 3 wood off the tee. If I need something "safe" i'll hit 3H or 5 iron off the tee.

so this 3 wood was rarely used until recently when I started making a point to use it off the fairway on reachable par 5's without too much trouble. It's a good 250-260 but with the deep face and loft it's a challenge. That's why, possibly in this thread, I was mentioning looking for an original SIM 3 wood. That thing was so easy to hit when I had it as a rental in Madrid. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

i did something similar a while back by getting a callaway xhot 3deep. deeper face, really designed to be an off the tee 3 wood.

no clue why I did this. I love my driver and would never opt to hit this 3 wood off the tee. If I need something "safe" i'll hit 3H or 5 iron off the tee.

so this 3 wood was rarely used until recently when I started making a point to use it off the fairway on reachable par 5's without too much trouble. It's a good 250-260 but with the deep face and loft it's not as forgiving. That's why, possibly in this thread, I was mentioning looking for an original SIM 3 wood. That thing was so easy to hit when I had it as a rental in Madrid. 

That is my 3W, I might sell it to you :lol:🇺🇳

I have no issues hitting 5W off the ground, but 3W just doesn't feel comfortable. If I can't get there in 2 with 5W its a lay up for me. 

Off the tee, I love driver too, but some days it isn't there and if a fairway is tight I like a little safety that goes farther than my 5i

12 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

That is my 3W, I might sell it to you :lol:🇺🇳

I have no issues hitting 5W off the ground, but 3W just doesn't feel comfortable. If I can't get there in 2 with 5W its a lay up for me. 

Off the tee, I love driver too, but some days it isn't there and if a fairway is tight I like a little safety that goes farther than my 5i

yeah im still a 3H guy. havn't carried a 5W in a long time. Mine is an original TM rescue dual TP edition. Still going strong. 

I have a few other 3W to choose from but something stood out to me about that SIM. The way the 3Deep sits at address it's almost begging for a pull and i really have to concentrate a lot harder on clearing my hips. Didn't feel that way with the SIM. 

Taylormade running a special - buy 3 dozen get one free TP5 and X with free personalization. 

15 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Taylormade running a special - buy 3 dozen get one free TP5 and X with free personalization. 

I got that deal from golfballs.com for Srixon the other day

2 hours ago, edjr said:

I got that deal from golfballs.com for Srixon the other day

I keep saying I'm going to try Srixon but haven't yet. I just got 4 dozen TP5x and will get 4 dozen ProV1x when Titleist runs their deal here in a month or so. 

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I keep saying I'm going to try Srixon but haven't yet. I just got 4 dozen TP5x and will get 4 dozen ProV1x when Titleist runs their deal here in a month or so. 

I used the free personalization to say  "If found please contact - my buddies number"