Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

So my kid played the entire season on no ACL.

First game of year, Aug 26: while getting face masked, and pulled "backwards" he got hit on outside of knee (pushed it inwards).

Came out for 3 plays. I was worried for a bit. Trainer checked him, cleared him.  Very first play he comes back in, runs for a 57 yd td.   Worry left. 

Got home, iced knee, swollen on medial side (got hit on lateral side).   Again,  I think nothing of it.  He played entire game, made cuts, etc.

About midseason, he mentions "still tight...can't really bend it, not sure if I could get into referee's position (a wrestling term, as wrestling season was about 5 -6 weeks away).

I say "well, does it buckle, feel lose, etc.... " He says no.  I say "Well, its only 4 weeks. If it's an MCL strain/sprain, that's gonna take a while etc"

2nd to last game of year... breaks his collar bone.  Actually played 1 full series on offense (RB) and 1 series on defense (CB), then halftime came.  Went to locker room, dug 3 Advil out of bag, takes those, he's listening to the coach talk.... reaches in his pads....feels it.... tells trainer".

So season done.
We go to ER, they tell us "broke" duh. On Monday, we go to walk in orthopedic for his collarbone.

"If he gets surgery, 4-6 weeks, no surgery 6-8 weeks" so I'm sort of optimistic that he can get in half his wrestling season...other than his knee is STILL just as swollen as week 1. 

I said "While we are here...take a look at knee"   He looks at it...feels it, say "doesn't look good." Sends us to MRI.

Get MRI

Comes back complete torn ACL, partial MCL, partial PCL, major damage to meniscus.

So... yeah. 

I get trainers can miss things.  The trainer tested and cleared

I later found out that he had not been squatting during workouts since week 1 as he couldn't bend it that way due to swelling.  The strength coach noticed this, but said nothing. Weird.

Part of me wishes we woulda known earlier.  But he did finish with 750 yds, 13 TDs,  8.1 yards per carry and made All Conference. 

The way it looks, definitely no wrestling, no spring baseball, and likely no summer baseball.

Junior in h.s. If he were a senior...we'd hold off on surgery and wrestle. 

:(

Damn. Sorry to hear.  I can’t believe he was able to play. I tore mine and didn’t know until about 3-4 months later, but I was only walking on it.

I hope his surgery and recovery goes well. 

22 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Damn. Sorry to hear.  I can’t believe he was able to play. I tore mine and didn’t know until about 3-4 months later, but I was only walking on it.

I hope his surgery and recovery goes well. 

Thank You.

Surgery the Nov 18th . 

He lives from one sports season to the next. I coach wrestling (his h.s team), and its so disheartening him not being there, for him, myself and the others.  The fact its likely he misses summer baseball and the thought of no "real action" until NEXT football season is hard to grasp. 

And that's why I was always just thinking "at the worst, he'll need his meniscus scoped, and that will recover while his collarbone is recovering"--(my research showed the "not bending" issue was possibly meniscus.).  The fact he played the whole season told me "not the ACL". 

That's one mentally and physically tough kid you're raising.

Hopefully he recovers fully and competes again at a high level his senior year. 

1 hour ago, tubby_mcgee said:

First game of year, Aug 26: while getting face masked, and pulled "backwards" he got hit on outside of knee (pushed it inwards).

Came out for 3 plays. I was worried for a bit. Trainer checked him, cleared him.  Very first play he comes back in, runs for a 57 yd td.   Worry left. 

Got home, iced knee, swollen on medial side (got hit on lateral side).   Again,  I think nothing of it.  He played entire game, made cuts, etc.

About midseason, he mentions "still tight...can't really bend it, not sure if I could get into referee's position (a wrestling term, as wrestling season was about 5 -6 weeks away).

I say "well, does it buckle, feel lose, etc.... " He says no.  I say "Well, its only 4 weeks. If it's an MCL strain/sprain, that's gonna take a while etc"

2nd to last game of year... breaks his collar bone.  Actually played 1 full series on offense (RB) and 1 series on defense (CB), then halftime came.  Went to locker room, dug 3 Advil out of bag, takes those, he's listening to the coach talk.... reaches in his pads....feels it.... tells trainer".

So season done.
We go to ER, they tell us "broke" duh. On Monday, we go to walk in orthopedic for his collarbone.

"If he gets surgery, 4-6 weeks, no surgery 6-8 weeks" so I'm sort of optimistic that he can get in half his wrestling season...other than his knee is STILL just as swollen as week 1. 

I said "While we are here...take a look at knee"   He looks at it...feels it, say "doesn't look good." Sends us to MRI.

Get MRI

Comes back complete torn ACL, partial MCL, partial PCL, major damage to meniscus.

So... yeah. 

I get trainers can miss things.  The trainer tested and cleared

I later found out that he had not been squatting during workouts since week 1 as he couldn't bend it that way due to swelling.  The strength coach noticed this, but said nothing. Weird.

Part of me wishes we woulda known earlier.  But he did finish with 750 yds, 13 TDs,  8.1 yards per carry and made All Conference. 

The way it looks, definitely no wrestling, no spring baseball, and likely no summer baseball.

Junior in h.s. If he were a senior...we'd hold off on surgery and wrestle. 

:(

Guessing that he didn't "tear" anything until the end of the season.  He probably had bad sprains, but they worsened as he kept playing.  If you try to make a cut with a torn ACL, you're very likely to fall on your azz and be in terrible pain.  He likely slowly broke down the sprains over time until they just tore at the end.

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Guessing that he didn't "tear" anything until the end of the season.  He probably had bad sprains, but they worsened as he kept playing.  If you try to make a cut with a torn ACL, you're very likely to fall on your azz and be in terrible pain.  He likely slowly broke down the sprains over time until they just tore at the end.

trainer tried saying that....asked him flat out --- and I asked him flat out ----at ANY other point in the season did you have ANYTHING that felt off of or a hit or a cut or annnnnnything that felt like a tear or a pop or pain or annything.  Myself, the surgeon, ortho guy all asked him that.  He said "NOTHING---nothing ever hurt other than the play in the first game.   If he hadn't broke his collar bone...he'd have played the last game and the playoff game.

Had it happened like you're suggesting....2nd game? 3rd game? 5th game? 8th game....he wouldn't have played after that  I mean I GET what you're saying ...but the "end" like you're suggesting...when was it?  The last play before half after he had already broke his collar bone?   He would have noticed.  The only thing he noticed was the first game.

I'm not trying to argue...I've been through this around and around with everyone trying to figure it out.   The trainer of course, didn't want to be known as the guy who didn't find an ACL tear right after it happenend. So he of course said "musta did it during last game" -- to which....okay...if it did happen "the last game" --when?  Why didn't he go down in pain at that moment instead of the first game (the first game he was on the ground for a good 60 seconds before he got up).  Why didn't his knee buckle in the last game at the moment it "theoretically happened". 

31 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

He will love you in his 30s when he cant chase his kids

If they can repair his meniscus, surgeon says he'll be fine. If not (if they have to just cut it out), he'll have arthritis later in life.  That's what the doc said. 

Hines ward played an entire nfl career with no acl 

man up 😐