Sign in to follow this  
kozmiq

Things That Go Bump In The Night

Folks who know me know that I love Key West, Florida. From my very visit there in 1977, I have had a strange allure to the island. Although I have made many recurring trips there, the one in February 1984 was the strangest.

On this particular vacation, I decided to stay at several different Inns. I stayed at the Atlantic Shores as I have many times and I worked my way up Duval Street staying at several more establishments. On my last night there, I stayed at what I called the Key West high-rise. The La Concha Hotel is the tallest building on the island at seven stories with an observation deck.

My room was 505 on the 5th floor. The view was spectacular but catching the elevator proved to be problematic. Two times when I boarded the conveyor from the Lobby and pushed the floor 5 button, the car did not stop at the 5th floor but instead deposited me on floor 6.
And another 2-3 times when I left my room to descend to the street, the elevator instead took me to the 6th floor instead of down to the Lobby.

On my last night out on the town, I returned to the La Concha about 1:30 AM in an intoxicated state only to find an empty food cart on the elevator but with no Hotel employee around. I squeezed on past the cart and pushed the floor 5 button. This time the elevator did stop at the 5th floor and as the doors opened, there stood a Hotel bus-boy. He looked at me with a steel-eyed stare and in a monotonic voice indicated that there was the food cart that he was looking for. He boarded the elevator as I was stepping off but I noticed that he pushed the 6th floor button. I was a bit tipsy but I decided to rush up the steps and see what room was getting an empty food cart. When I beat the elevator to the 6th floor, I witnessed the doors open and the food cart sitting in there but no Hotel employee present.

Yes, it was strange but I was high as a kite and decided to go back to my room on the 5th floor. When I got back down to floor 5, there stood that same bus-boy. He looked at me and laughed and said that he couldn’t get to the 6th floor for some reason. Had I not been inebriated, I may have continued with this crazy situation but I was and I went into room 505 and went to sleep.

It was not until four years later in 1988 that I was able to vacation in Key West, again. I decided to stay at the La Concha and called them for a brochurer. When the literature arrived in the mail, I noticed that the Key West Chamber of Commerce had sent a pamphlet along with that of the La Concha Hotel’s package. As I perused the the information that I had received, I came across an advertisement for Key West Ghost Tours. I was shocked and dumbfounded to read the following blurb :

The 160 room, seven story La Concha Hotel, haunted by a man who lost his life in the hotel after falling into an empty elevator shaft from the 5th floor on New Year’s Eve, 1983.

My 1984 visit to the La Concha was just five weeks after this incident.

I will admit to you that I did not stay at the La Concha on that 1988 visit .. nor any of the other visits that I have made to the island. And when I find myself walking on Duval Street and come to the 400 block – I cross the street and walk adjacent to the La Concha. I barely look at the structure and focus my attention on all the other wonderful things about Key West.

• Like 1

Did you contact the ghost tour to see if they could provide a picture of the guy who died?  Would you have (or do you) remember what he looked like?  

I have not seen a picture of the man who died (and don't really want to) and even though it's been 35 years ago and me being drunk that night, I can still see those eyes; it was as if there was nobody home.  But I am absolutely sure I saw the dead man's ghost.

I have been told the ghost still haunts the Hotel.

Thanks for reading .. I know it's a bit long.

3 hours ago, kozmiq said:

Folks who know me know that I love Key West, Florida. 

Key West is known for being very "gender fluid". :lol:

4 hours ago, kozmiq said:

Folks who know me know that I love Key West, Florida. From my very visit there in 1977, I have had a strange allure to the island. Although I have made many recurring trips there, the one in February 1984 was the strangest.

On this particular vacation, I decided to stay at several different Inns. I stayed at the Atlantic Shores as I have many times and I worked my way up Duval Street staying at several more establishments. On my last night there, I stayed at what I called the Key West high-rise. The La Concha Hotel is the tallest building on the island at seven stories with an observation deck.

My room was 505 on the 5th floor. The view was spectacular but catching the elevator proved to be problematic. Two times when I boarded the conveyor from the Lobby and pushed the floor 5 button, the car did not stop at the 5th floor but instead deposited me on floor 6.
And another 2-3 times when I left my room to descend to the street, the elevator instead took me to the 6th floor instead of down to the Lobby.

On my last night out on the town, I returned to the La Concha about 1:30 AM in an intoxicated state only to find an empty food cart on the elevator but with no Hotel employee around. I squeezed on past the cart and pushed the floor 5 button. This time the elevator did stop at the 5th floor and as the doors opened, there stood a Hotel bus-boy. He looked at me with a steel-eyed stare and in a monotonic voice indicated that there was the food cart that he was looking for. He boarded the elevator as I was stepping off but I noticed that he pushed the 6th floor button. I was a bit tipsy but I decided to rush up the steps and see what room was getting an empty food cart. When I beat the elevator to the 6th floor, I witnessed the doors open and the food cart sitting in there but no Hotel employee present.

Yes, it was strange but I was high as a kite and decided to go back to my room on the 5th floor. When I got back down to floor 5, there stood that same bus-boy. He looked at me and laughed and said that he couldn’t get to the 6th floor for some reason. Had I not been inebriated, I may have continued with this crazy situation but I was and I went into room 505 and went to sleep.

It was not until four years later in 1988 that I was able to vacation in Key West, again. I decided to stay at the La Concha and called them for a brochurer. When the literature arrived in the mail, I noticed that the Key West Chamber of Commerce had sent a pamphlet along with that of the La Concha Hotel’s package. As I perused the the information that I had received, I came across an advertisement for Key West Ghost Tours. I was shocked and dumbfounded to read the following blurb :

The 160 room, seven story La Concha Hotel, haunted by a man who lost his life in the hotel after falling into an empty elevator shaft from the 5th floor on New Year’s Eve, 1983.

My 1984 visit to the La Concha was just five weeks after this incident.

I will admit to you that I did not stay at the La Concha on that 1988 visit .. nor any of the other visits that I have made to the island. And when I find myself walking on Duval Street and come to the 400 block – I cross the street and walk adjacent to the La Concha. I barely look at the structure and focus my attention on all the other wonderful things about Key West.

You need to turn to the Lord Jesus Christ, the devil has a strong hold of you.   Pick up the Bible and accept and receive the Lord Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.   You will have peace, comfort, and joy in your life.  

Thanks.