Sign in to follow this  
Engorgeous George

Recurve bows, Would I stick with shooting one ...

...or tire of it quickly and regret the purchase?

There is a range very conveniently located for me a few hundred yards from where I take out my kayak after a morning paddle and some fishing.  i am thinking I might enjoy shooting maybe twenty arrows or so a day after I finish up paddling and fishing.  Would I get bored with it quickly if I did?  Would I become proficient shooting twenty times a day four times a week.  

I have hunted with a compound bow a few times but I would not say I have any particular proficiency with them.  They are inherently accurate and easy to use.  A recurve seems it would be more of a challenge and therefore more interesting.

I’ve often thought about trying a recurve. I like the idea of primitive arms, and many states carve out special weeks for primitive arms. 

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I’ve often thought about trying a recurve. I like the idea of primitive arms, and many states carve out special weeks for primitive arms. 

Had a neighbor as a kid who would get his white tail every year using one.  I use to watch him practice sometimes.  He was pretty accurate at 35 yards or so which was his usual practice set up, or so it seems in my memory.  I had another neighbor who fished with one.  He was not very good.  he never really got the hang of the refraction angle of water. The few times he got a fish it seemed to me he hit one in a school next to the one he was actually aiming at.

48 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Had a neighbor as a kid who would get his white tail every year using one.  I use to watch him practice sometimes.  He was pretty accurate at 35 yards or so which was his usual practice set up, or so it seems in my memory.  I had another neighbor who fished with one.  He was not very good.  he never really got the hang of the refraction angle of water. The few times he got a fish it seemed to me he hit one in a school next to the one he was actually aiming at.

One thing I’ve never tried is bow fishing. It’s not hugely popular around here, and it’s  only legal for what I consider nuisance species. 

3 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

I’ve been bow fishing many times at night on a flat air boat in the marshes of south Louisiana for redfish.. Limit is fiver per angler plus ten more for the group of five as the captain and deckhand count for the rest. I usually get my limit n an hour whilst everyone else is struggling. You just need to trust the light refraction and shoot one foot in front of your target. After I hit my limit, I shoot from the side, not the front so the other guys miss and I pick them off on the side.  I learned at summer camp as a kid and taught it as CIT.Good times.

I’m tempted to buy one now for wall decor. I have a compound and a crossbow so I doubt I would use it, but they look cool. 

You have to be prepared to do a LOT of practicing. Shooting a recurve is most instinctive and takes a lot of practice. Stick to a compound with sights if you don’t have the time to dedicate to it. 

Recurve bows are nonsense. And I don’t they actually are effective and why would you want one? Dumb.

I grew up on a lake. We use to go out on the pontoon boats at night with a garbage can or two on the front and with bright spot lights and spear gar. It was pretty fun. Nasty fish though. We did a pretty good job as there's a very healthy largemouth bass population since we took out a lot of gar many years back.

9 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Recurve bows are nonsense. And I don’t they actually are effective and why would you want one? Dumb.

For the challenge of obtaining a bit of competence in a difficult skill.  To gain an appreciation for where we come from.