Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

H.S Football Gurus or former Refs

Had a play this weekend.....at our game....

Punting team punts to us, ball rolls to 1/2 yd line,  the punting teams player dives on ball and "downs" it while the ball was still not touching goal line, but his body was 3/4 in the endzone. 

Refs set ball at 1/2 yd line. 

Our fans, and the YouTube announcer were up in arms about that it shoulda been a touchback. 

The ref was RIGHT THERE to see it.  Couldn't have missed it.  Because of this, I'm thinking the rule in H.S. is different than the NFL Rule.

In the NFL, if any part of your body is in the endzone, it's a touchback.  In H.S, I'm wondering the ball has to actually go into the endzone for it to be a touchback. 

Anyone know?  I tried finding the answer in an online NFHS rulebook, and I didn't ever clarify that situation.  At least that I saw. 

I guess that's why the ref is working high school games. What's he get paid, $25 a game? If that? 

But it brings up a good topic about NFL refs. Why in the fock aren't they full time? It's got to be the toughest job in the NFL. And it's not like the NFL doesn't have the money to pay them $100K a year of something. Jeez.

17 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

I don't see why the HS rule would be any different :dunno:

The only thing I was thinking, is ....if a player in h.s dives at a ball, and touches it outside of the end zone and slides into the end zone.....well in h.s football, the INSTANT a ball carriers thigh, butt, knee touches the ground, he is down.  The play is over over. Sooo...he dives at ball, knee hits while ball is on 1/2 yard line...is the play INSTANTLY over, so it doesn't matter what happens after that? 

11 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

The only thing I was thinking, is ....if a player in h.s dives at a ball, and touches it outside of the end zone and slides into the end zone.....well in h.s football, the INSTANT a ball carriers thigh, butt, knee touches the ground, he is down.  The play is over over. Sooo...he dives at ball, knee hits while ball is on 1/2 yard line...is the play INSTANTLY over, so it doesn't matter what happens after that? 

The whole continuation thing is focked up across the board. A guy in the NFL can make a catch in endzone and control the ball and that should be the end of the play. Yet, if he falls down and doesn't hold onto the ball, it's incomplete.

Robot referees is your answer.