Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Predict the Bears record for 2024

2 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I think fans get confused when teams draft QBs high thinking the execs think that QB will be their savior. In reality, the execs just are hoping they hit. They know the risks. They know the QBs downsides. The Bears' execs knew the mental processing quickness risks with Fields and they are trying to still figure out if Williams is a head case or not. But they will take a risk on him or another QB this draft. So,...:dunno:

Be very happy. They got the right guy, enjoy the ride. 

5 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

Didn't Minn pick up Jones. GB NEEDS  a backup RB. They could use a guy like Singletary if a player like him is out there. 

Minnesota consistently tries to overtake Green Bay by picking up our cast offs.  

Sharper

Longwell

Stenerrude

Jennings,

Favre

Dale

Paup

Now Jones

The Lions won 3 games in 2021. The days of having to wait years to win in the NFL are over. 

5 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It’s guys like this why I fully expect Williams to take the Bears to the playoffs his rookie year. He’s one of many.

Nobody likes Caleb Williams more than I but I don't think the Bears finish 1 or 2 in that division next year. At the very least that's what it's going to take to make the playoffs. There's just too many new moving pieces. 

BUT, I'd fully expect them to compete for the division in year 2 or 3 of the Caleb Williams era. 

9 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Minnesota consistently tries to overtake Green Bay by picking up our cast offs.  

Sharper

Longwell

Stenerrude

Jennings,

Favre

Dale

Paup

Now Jones

Zadarious Smith

8 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It’s guys like this why I fully expect Williams to take the Bears to the playoffs his rookie year. He’s one of many.

https://x.com/k_reedhimself/status/1770225136547090708?s=46

Some random guy?  Lol

8 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

https://x.com/k_reedhimself/status/1770225136547090708?s=46

How about guys like this who were in the game.   My only point here is there is no far and away consensus that Williams is a lock to be great. 

I’ve now evaluated USC quarterback (QB) Caleb Williams in every snap he took in 2022 and 2023 and I’ve written approximately 11,850 words reflecting on him in articles.

The takeaway: Williams is too undisciplined, moody, and immature to ever realize his potential.

Yes, he is loaded with God-given raw arm strength, and elite ability to create and extend (which is the draw to him), but he’s underdeveloped in the finer points of the position. His skillset doesn’t translate well to the next level ⎯the NFL game is about quick time to throw, precise downfield ball placement, and ball security.

The only box he checks is ball security improving from 35 pass breakups (2.5 avg.) in 2022 to 15 in 2023 (1.25 avg.).

Final words

Williams is an elite athlete, but there’s nothing ‘generational’ about him as a passer.

It’s important to be able to separate the two.

Daniel Kelly is a former NFL Scout with the New York Jets. He was hired on the regime which featured Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Scott Pioli, Mike Tannenbaum, and Haley. 

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

How about guys like this who were in the game.   My only point here is there is no far and away consensus that Williams is a lock to be great. 

⬆️      THIS

He has every tool he needs to be great, now it's time for the Bears to make it happen. 

I wouldn't trust the Bears with a potted plant. They F'd Fields up beyond belief. 

21 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

⬆️      THIS

He has every tool he needs to be great, now it's time for the Bears to make it happen. 

I wouldn't trust the Bears with a potted plant. They F'd Fields up beyond belief. 

Hawk I believe is just going with the "well he better be good, you said he was, lets see it" tone since he wanted to keep Fields.  

Some people may be saying he is a lock to be good if not real good.  But it isn't a consensus.   Luck and Burrow I believe were both better thought of.  Williams just holds the joker of having tools that put his upside potentially higher.  

Sam Darnold at USC had a tremendous year as a 19 year old, simply amazing the things he did.  I remember following him closely and really liking him.  He stepped back his next year then went pro.  The consensus #1 guy for about a year and a half ended up not going number 1.  

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Zadarious Smith

Some random guy?  Lol

I just shared one example of many.

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I just shared one example of many.

Well hes going to go number 1.  Not surprising there are plenty of people gushing about him.  

But its a random guy.  A random guy's opinion...let's say many random guys, makes you fully expect playoffs this year?  I mean ok but seems weird.  

There are plenty of actual football people who have shared concerns about him.  

Point remains, there are people on both sides.  Not every single person out there is calling him the next great or cant miss.  He certainly can be great or be a bust.  Just like each year in the draft.  He definitely has something bustable about him. 

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Well hes going to go number 1.  Not surprising there are plenty of people gushing about him.  

But its a random guy.  A random guy's opinion...let's say many random guys, makes you fully expect playoffs this year?  I mean ok but seems weird.  

There are plenty of acrual football people who have shared concerns about him.  

Point remains, there are people on both sides.  Not everyone single person out there os calling him the next great or cant miss.  He certainly can be great or be a bust.  Just like each year in the draft.  He definitely has something bustabld about him. 

Like I said, he's one of many.  Plenty of talking heads as well.  It's been the biggest talking point in Bears social media for months.

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Williams just holds the joker of having tools that put his upside potentially higher.  

Right, but isn't that any prospect though? Landing spot, coaching and system all determine Caleb Williams fate, not just talent. 

Caleb Williams is CAN'T MISS if provided the tools to do his job successfully. I trust the player, I'm not sure I trust his employer. 

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

They said that about Trevor Lawrence too

It gets said every few years.  There's always a new generational talent.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Like I said, he's one of many.  Plenty of talking heads as well.  It's been the biggest talking point in Bears social media for months.

There are tons of people out there each year who gush and rave about any QB that goes number 1.  

Im not even sure what my point is here.  Just thought it was odd that you say some random people loving Williams thr number 1 prospect makes you fully expect playoffs this year.  

Rookies can have good season.  Many great players have their worst season year 1.  Williams isn't immune to that strong possibility.   

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Right, but isn't that any prospect though? Landing spot, coaching and system all determine Caleb Williams fate, not just talent. 

Caleb Williams is CAN'T MISS if provided the tools to do his job successfully. I trust the player, I'm not sure I trust his employer. 

No one is cant miss.   Id say a mature tactician like Luck is more cant miss than a guy like Williams.  Williams actually has some bustable traits.  We arent talking ceiling here.  

Williams has the pure talent.  Sure.  Many busts did.  

Of course where he lands and how they operate will matter.  But if he is immature hes immature.   Kyler Murray needed a claus to not play so many video games.  I have no idea who Caleb Williams thr man is.  Just rumblings and a few situations make people wonder about him.  He also plays school yard ball.  Guys like Allen and Mahomes do as well but school yard ball doesnt always translate.  Is Williams going to run and truck people like Allen does?  No.  Does Williams have as strong of an arm as Allen?  No.  

Lets not act like Williams is the toolsiest of player to come out.  Allen and Richardson off the top of my head both had/have more pure physical ability.   Both way bigger and faster.  Both with bigger arms.  

7 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

They said that about Trevor Lawrence too

Doug Peterson isn't exactly an offensive mastermind. If you held a startup rookie draft for all 32 teams I GUARANTEE you Trevor Lawrence would be one of the first QBs taken. He's still very young and insanely talented. 

No one is cant miss

No, but the skill sets are. Does that compute to NFL success? Rarely

That doesn't mean you draft a less talented QB either. 

We will get indications of who and what Williams is at the draft and during subsequent contract negotiations. Then we have minicamps and the preseason.  lots of time yet to form opinions on the young man, all of which may well get thrown out the first snap he takes under live fire.  I will watch with great interest.  I have been watcvhing the Packer/bear rivalry for over 60 years and in that time the Bears have never had a great quarterback and have had damn few average ones.  I have come to expect mediocracy or less at the position.  What a stunner it would be if they finally got it right.  The law of averages says eventually they will, maybe this is the time.  I hope not.

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

No, but the skill sets are. Does that compute to NFL success? Rarely

That doesn't mean you draft a less talented QB either. 

Im not saying dont draft him.  Not sure what we are even discussing here.  

All I was saying to hawkeye is a few randos with an opinion doesn't mean everyone and theit mother is dead set on Williams being a star.  Plenty of actual football people have questions.  So it is not cut and dry like oh every person says this guy cannot bust.  Its actually quite the opposite.  Plenty people have brought up bust qualities.   

So to auto expect at least playoffs in his very 1st year because some randoms love the guy is a bit of a leap.  Like I said, thr 1st few and last few years are the worst years of even the greats.  I dont care who the rookie is.  They are still a rookie.  

Who is his agent?

Has he spent considerable time and effort on coordianting his bling and his suit for draft night?

Has some female got her hooks in him?

Does he have a posse?

Will he be concerned with keeping it real?

Has he started lining up endorsements and if so with whom?

When selected will he refer to the team by name or will he call it "my team"?

Me, I like the way Joe Thomas handled the draft.  I knew he was going to be successful.  

Williams a little shy of 6'1.  217lbs. 9 7/8 hand which is good size.  

19 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

Didn't Minn pick up Jones. GB NEEDS  a backup RB. They could use a guy like Singletary if a player like him is out there. 

Didnt see this post.  They brought Dillon back for a team friendly dirt cheap deal.  Something like 1.3 mill this year on the cap.  Jacobs and he dont necessarily complement eachorher.  The undrafted kid Emmanuel Wilson looked good in limited time last season.  I expect them to draft a RB mid rounds.  Probably a speedier back.  I like Jaylen Wright from Tennessee.   

19 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

You are a big packers fan. You of all people should believe in sitting a rookie QB like Williams. 

It cant hurt.  But Williams has an ego I am sure and is thr 1st overall pick.  The Packers last 2 situations are much different than this one.  

QBs dont need to be sat 1st overalls rarely are.  It couldn't hurt if Williams accepts the situation.  

Rodgers and Love were both drafted in the 20s.  Love pretty raw out of Utah St.  With a HOF vet that hung around.  Much different scenarios.   

"I'm letting you know right now, man, I'm not losing to Green Bay this year," Sweat said. "I can't do it, I can't do it, man. I'm not losing to Green Bay this year. We've created a real rivalry over there."

They were chirping last offseason as well thinking they were good with Rodgers gone.  

They created a real rivalry but getting handled both times last season.  

Bears players and fans are delusional.

"I'm letting you know right now, man, I'm not losing to Green Bay this year," Sweat said. "I can't do it, I can't do it, man. I'm not losing to Green Bay this year. We've created a real rivalry over there."

They were chitpinchirping last pffseason as well thinking they were good with Rodgers gone.  

They created a real rivalry but getting handled both times last season.  

Bears players and fans are delusional.

Imagine Sweat thinking he is amoung the "we' that has created this rivalry.  The rivalry goes back over 100 years.  It has involved greats of the game clashing for years in a row.  This newcomer is not even an astericks in the history of the matter.

32 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Imagine Sweat thinking he is amoung the "we' that has created this rivalry.  The rivalry goes back over 100 years.  It has involved greats of the game clashing for years in a row.  This newcomer is not even an astericks in the history of the matter.

Damn I really butchered some of that post