Sign in to follow this  
Bills04

Dave Gettleman sooooo effed the G-Men..

First he took Saquon over Josh Allen, who went to Buffalo.

THEN he took David Jones over "the other" Josh Allen, who went to Jacksonville.  And - I remember that draft.  The first six rookies were THOUGHT TO BE set-in-stone.  I watched it, and was eagerly awaiting the G-men to grab the consensus sixth-best rookie.  And then Gettleman uses the first of his TWO first-round picks that year, on Jones..

"The other" Josh Allen just got a massive pay day:

Jaguars signed DE Josh Allen to a five-year contract extension worth up to $150 million.
Jacksonville had used the franchise tag on Allen before the start of free agency while the two sides hammered out a long-term deal. Allen’s extension will reportedly include $88 million in guarantees — an enormous payday for the standout pass rusher. Pro Football Focus in 2023 graded Allen as the league’s 11th best EDGE. He was fourth in quarterback hits and eighth in QB pressures last season. Allen notched a career high 17.5 sacks in 2023. He’ll continue to anchor the Jacksonville defensive line for years to come.

25 minutes ago, Bills04 said:

First he took Saquon over Josh Allen, who went to Buffalo.

THEN he took David Jones over "the other" Josh Allen, who went to Jacksonville.  And - I remember that draft.  The first six rookies were THOUGHT TO BE set-in-stone.  I watched it, and was eagerly awaiting the G-men to grab the consensus sixth-best rookie.  And then Gettleman uses the first of his TWO first-round picks that year, on Jones..

"The other" Josh Allen just got a massive pay day:

Jaguars signed DE Josh Allen to a five-year contract extension worth up to $150 million.
Jacksonville had used the franchise tag on Allen before the start of free agency while the two sides hammered out a long-term deal. Allen’s extension will reportedly include $88 million in guarantees — an enormous payday for the standout pass rusher. Pro Football Focus in 2023 graded Allen as the league’s 11th best EDGE. He was fourth in quarterback hits and eighth in QB pressures last season. Allen notched a career high 17.5 sacks in 2023. He’ll continue to anchor the Jacksonville defensive line for years to come.

He also drafted Dexter Lawrence and Andrew Thomas, who are all-pros. So some good, some bad like a lot of unsuccessful GMs…

18 minutes ago, jrokh said:

He also drafted Dexter Lawrence and Andrew Thomas, who are all-pros. So some good, some bad like a lot of unsuccessful GMs…

sadly if the QB position doesnt work out that usually means the GM loses their job.

that's just the way of things.

as such, hes no longer there.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

But he wiffed on the really really important stuff, like building around a young QB. He was a terrible GM

13 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

But he wiffed on the really really important stuff, like building around a young QB. He was a terrible GM

He was actually a decent talent evaluator, just sucked at some of the other stuff. like free agency. Not a terrible GM, just not a good one…

10 minutes ago, jrokh said:

like free agency. 

And evaluating the coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

He was actually a decent talent evaluator, just sucked at some of the other stuff. like free agency. Not a terrible GM, just not a good one…

yeah, and giving that massive contract to Danny Dimes after not renewing the 5th year option.    that may have been the icing on the cake.

if they had taken the 5th year option, they wouldnt have even needed to spend on him at all.    then Sequon might have been resigned instead. (which in hindsight was likely the better move)

That was a different GM

The Saquon pick was the worst. You draft a RB high when you're ready to compete, not when you suck. A half decent GM should of known that. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

The Saquon pick was the worst. You draft a RB high when you're ready to compete, not when you suck. A half decent GM should of known that. 

he hit on the pick.  so I dont consider that to be a fail.

if Sequon was a dud then yes.    but at the time if Danny Dimes had turned into the player he was supposed to be the Sequon pick would have been just fine.

I know hindsight is 20-20 but at some point you need to take the leap of faith that the previous players you have drafted will turn out.   and many thought at the time that Dimes was gonna be the real deal.

so I dont fault him for that.

it just turns out Dimes didnt pan out and thus the situation arose that you speak of.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

That was a different GM

sorry, I mixed up my incompetent GMS.  same team, and I'm not a G man fan, so its an easy mistake to make.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

he hit on the pick.  so I dont consider that to be a fail.

It doesn't matter if it's the wrong pick. Had he spent that draft capital on the offensive line instead of a RB that they didn't need then we're probably talking about the 2019 Danny Dimes pick in a different light. 

16 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

It doesn't matter if it's the wrong pick. Had he spent that draft capital on the offensive line instead of a RB that they didn't need then we're probably talking about the 2019 Danny Dimes pick in a different light. 

I can relate.

too many teams bring in a young QB and put them behind a leaky line and then question why the QB didnt develop as he should.

lots of times when a GM fails its not one or two bad moves that does it.  lots of times its other things people dont notice.   and the Line in New york has been bad off and on for a long time.

not sure if thats a product of the O line coach or bad drafting but they actually drafted and brought in free agents that were supposed to solve the O line problems only to have the problem come back a year leater.

at the end of the day, whether the problem was he hired bad coaches or drafted bad players, it doesnt matter.  the bottom line is he couldnt make the team win.    Thats the bottom line.

but he did do a lot of things wrong.   I dont think drafting Sequon was one of them.  he was a legit playmaker and he could play.   and if as a team you believe in the draft picks you have made up to that point I dont think it was a bad move.  it just turned out that many of the players drafted or signed prior to that point didnt pan out.

They brought in a free agent Tackle from the pats who was an all star, and then 2 or 3 years later he was a bum and they released him.   They drafted another guy I think with the first or second pick of round 2 who had a nice year or two and then regressed.

is this a talent problem?   or bad coaching?   I dont know.   but the team did try to address the line on multiple occasions and just couldnt get it right.

11 hours ago, LaChup said:

The Giants also thought Eli Manning was a good QB. Nothing has changed.

Uh .. two Super Bowl wins, and being voted the MVP of both?  History disagrees with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bills04 said:

Uh .. two Super Bowl wins, and being voted the MVP of both?  History disagrees with you.

yeah, I gotta agree.    if the QB takes you to a superbowl win, it was the right move to make.

35 minutes ago, Bills04 said:

The Hall of Fame will soon be the final arbiter...

34 minutes ago, jrokh said:

The Hall of Fame will soon be the final arbiter...

honestly the superbowls tell the tale.   this is the goal of every team when they draft/sign any player on the roster.   so if the team wins and that player made a significant contribution he was the right player to sign/draft.

I dont see how any starting QB's contribution would ever be insignificant as they touch the ball on every offensive play so to that end, with 2 superbowl wins I'd say he was the right choice.

if you consider him the wrong choice, I'd take that wrong choice to get 2 superbowl wins 100% of the time.

Eli has a better chance of finding his belly button than the Hall of Fame. And believe me, that's not going to be easy.

9 minutes ago, LaChup said:

Eli has a better chance of finding his belly button than the Hall of Fame. And believe me, that's not going to be easy.

honestly, I'm not a Manning fan.  but hes won 2 superbowls.   Most QBs dont even get one superbowl appearance let alone win the thing.

if it happens once I suppose it could be a fluke if the player catches lightning in a bottle.    but he won it twice.   not a fluke.

trust me, I'm not a Giants fan, but I'll give cudos where they are deserved.   Manning was a very good QB.

Not just two super bowl wins, but two over the best team in the league during that time, with some guy named Brady at the helm.  

Eli needs to be in the HOF.  

On 4/10/2024 at 2:29 PM, Maximum Overkill said:

Also terrible with the Panthers

4 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

It's ashame, Bryce Young just isn't an NFL QB. 

I think its too early to wright him off yet.     The team around him wasnt very good.  

its not unusual for a QB's rookie year to be a bit rough.