Sign in to follow this  
edjr

First person to receive a genetically modified pig kidney transplant dies nearly 2 months later

https://www.yahoo.com/news/first-person-receive-genetically-modified-010509774.html

BOSTON (AP) — The first recipient of a genetically modified pig kidney transplant has died nearly two months after he underwent the procedure, his family and the hospital that performed the surgery said Saturday.

Richard “Rick” Slayman had the transplant at Massachusetts General Hospital in March at the age of 62. Surgeons said they believed the pig kidney would last for at least two years.

The transplant team at Massachusetts General Hospital said in a statement it was deeply saddened by Slayman's passing and offered condolences to his family. They said they didn't have any indication that he died as a result of the transplant.

some actual news posted at fft? non-political? cmon you focking losers ruining this place. you can do it too!!

45 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Today’s pig kidneys are completely unreliable. 

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville? I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we? Oh, yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

• Haha 2

A pity. I think trying to grow functional organs on animals could help a lot of people and not at great cost either, if ever perfected.

That's not to say this was a full failure, the death is not (officially) linked to the failure of the kidney as of now but the patient died.

The nice thing about using a pig kidney is after you can celebrate with a BLT. 

12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The nice thing about using a pig kidney is after you can celebrate with a BLT. 

I learned that Jews can't eat things like cheeseburgers because cows provide both milk and beef. I thought that was a bit much.

Anyway, you'd make a lousy Jew.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I learned that Jews can't eat things like cheeseburgers because cows provide both milk and beef. I thought that was a bit much.

Anyway, you'd make a lousy Jew.

:lol:

4 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

it was prob the jab

Pigs got the jab?  Liberals aside