Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Is God Real?

I just dont see it. I mean i want to believe because the thought of dying and never seeing my wife again is a bit depressing, but wanting to believe doesnt make me believe. Every time i try to understand what is being preached it all ends up seeming fake and made up.

It doesn't matter and you'll never know the answer, so worry about something else.

Is there anyway to believe in evolution and Christian/Muslim/Jewish at the same time?

I mean if you don't believe in evolution there isn't much to say. 1 is fact and science. The others come from writing that man wrote a couple thousand years ago.

We have people who thought the world was flat and the moon was made of cheese. And we concede that they really knew nothing much of how the world worked. Yet we want to blindly follow people of the same time period and their stories? I never understood why anyone who find these scriptures from people of this time as credible.

I also don't understand how people can say Christianity is real and right, but all the other religions have flaws or are total bunk. So over half of the world who believes is wrong? That is hard to believe.

I'd rather live my life through facts and some common sense than hanging on to the stories of people long ago with no common sense explanation for any of it. I don't need to cling onto the thought that there is something more, I'm not entitled to be comforted. Millions of people and animals have died throughout time....it is called the final stage of life. We don't need to make up stories to feel comforted. As if this life isn't enough and there should be more. It is really a greedy way of looking at death...to think you will frolic in heaven after forever. No, you probably sit in the ground and rot...like all other past living things.

Science changes constantly and evolution is just a theory, not a proven fact.

Not sure about religion but I think the bigger leap is that we all spun out of nothingness rather than believing in GOD.

Not sure about religion but I think the bigger leap is that we all spun out of nothingness rather than believing in GOD.

Actually, evolution is a proven fact. Humans have evolved to not require a ton of body parts. Why would god put an appendix in, If we did not need it? We needed it, when we had a diet of mainly leafy vegetables. Another example is Darwin's Points (the little points in the top inside of ears). Mammals use them to focus on sounds. Only 10% of the population has them now. Or there's the Plantatris muscle in the foot. It's used by animals to grip with the feet. Modern humans have it too, but it's so underdeveloped it serves no purpose anymore. 10% of people are born without it now. There's quite a few other examples too. The next to go will be the pinky toe.

That said, I think there's room for both of them to live together. Evolution doesn't necessarily discount the bible or religion. A lot of evolution is just adaptation. Just like anything else, if you don't use it, it becomes a basically useless parasite. If you sit on your ass all day, your legs turn to putty.

:doh:

I love how science helps people in everyday life. All people pretty much depend on science of all kinds in every day life.

But somehow when it comes to what happened a billion years ago, Science isn't worthy to answer it as best as it can. No, a book and a word passed down for a couple thousand years out of the billion that earth and the universe has been around is a better tool somehow. It really is hilarious.

I think even the Pope accepts evolution as true.

There may have been some sort of single energy or something to get this all in motion that we can call GOD. Scientists routinely say they don't know what happened before what they call "the big bang". And aren't willing to make something up to fill the void. Just because you can't explain how something happened doesn't mean it has to be "GODs work". We couldn't explain much of anything 500 years ago. We couldn't explain some things 10 years ago, that we now can.

"GOD" in terms of some singular thing getting it all started can co-exist with evolution. The traditional religious rendition of GOD doesn't seem to work though. If you think some boat carried animals. Or some dude pointed his finger and boom there was the ocean, lands, and the sun. Then that is just goofy in my opinion. Like this Neil Tyson guy said in one video, they have evidence of dried up rivers and valleys on Mars. Proof that things change over time...a whole hell of a lot. Saying some dude created it in 7 days from nothing but his "powers" and imagination is pretty far fetched in my opinion. And has no basis for any sort of explanation at all.

Actually, evolution is a proven fact. Humans have evolved to not require a ton of body parts. Why would god put an appendix in, If we did not need it? We needed it, when we had a diet of mainly leafy vegetables. Another example is Darwin's Points (the little points in the top inside of ears). Mammals use them to focus on sounds. Only 10% of the population has them now. Or there's the Plantatris muscle in the foot. It's used by animals to grip with the feet. Modern humans have it too, but it's so underdeveloped it serves no purpose anymore. 10% of people are born without it now. There's quite a few other examples too. The next to go will be the pinky toe.

That said, I think there's room for both of them to live together. Evolution doesn't necessarily discount the bible or religion. A lot of evolution is just adaptation. Just like anything else, if you don't use it, it becomes a basically useless parasite. If you sit on your ass all day, your legs turn to putty.

Have you looked into science that takes into account these thoughts and looks at it another way? Not an unscientific way...the scientific method is honored, but there aren't some presuppositions (in fairness- there are others) involved that there were with the other take.

Organs that were thought to be vestigial have later been understood as important. In trying to figure out my multiple chemical sensitivity, I found out that there's a good chance that the vomeronasal organ in humans plays a role in how our brains react to chemicals.

the accessory olfactory bulb, although present in the human fetus, is not thought to be present in the adult human brain. However, numerous, small, unmyelinated nerve fibers have been reported in the lamina propria surrounding the human VNO, and it has been hypothesized that these fibers may participate in communicating signals from the VNO to the central nervous system (CNS) (59). Several functional lines of evidence, discussed below, suggest that such a connection should not be ruled out and that excitation of the VNO by airborne chemicals may cause neurally mediated changes in physiology and behavior.

Prevalence of the VNO

A number of studies have examined the prevalence of the VNO in adult humans, as identified by observation of the nasal opening of the organ (the VNO pit). An early study by Johnson et al. (58) found at least one VNO pit in 39% of 100 adults; examinations were conducted with the naked eye, without magnification. Moran et al. (62) described a study of 200 adults with examinations conducted using a 40× binocular operating microscope. Bilateral VNO pits were observed in all 200 subjects, and the authors remarked that a number of the pits would not have been visible without magnification.

Mainstream scientists (where that report is from) are still on the fence about it, and probably bias against warming up to it as an organ with its primary function active. Not until wanting to understand a mysterious ailment is some of the overlooked ground dug into. Read up on organs that have been reclassified as active in their primary functions. It's a compelling list. If you don't intimately understand a system and the component in question, to assume it won't be better understood in time, and instead incorporate it into a wider theory for mutual perpetuation, is rash and unscientific.

The traditional religious rendition of GOD doesn't seem to work though. If you think some boat carried animals.

With recent research, ironically enough, science has confirmed that it's pretty much a fact that a very great flood took place in the Middle East around the time that would have matched up with Noah. A flood and an ark and animals really happened. Worldwide? Who knows. But it's not like people in the Middle East even knew that North America or Antarctica existed.

I've seen it repeated in several articles and stories I've come across in the recent past. Don't expect a link, as I can't cite it from work.

Evolution is a proven fact. Who was able to convince you otherwise? Maybe they sold you a ketchup stick too. You dont even have to use humans as an example. Darwins studies on the golapagos ilslands shows all you need to realize evolution is real.

Evolution is a proven fact. Who was able to convince you otherwise? Maybe they sold you a ketchup stick too. You dont even have to use humans as an example. Darwins studies on the golapagos ilslands shows all you need to realize evolution is real.

It has been proven beyond this as well, through divergence

I feel like people don't grasp how long the earth has been around. And how very small a couple thousand years is. It is basically nothing.

Life more than likely didn't start on earth. To think it did is sort or narcissistic. It wasn't there is a sheep. There is people. There is the story for both to believe. It was small organisms that probably came from somewhere else in the universe that got this whole thing started. The Neil Tyson dude said the same important elements in the universe, are basically the same exact top elements in order that are found in humans. Everything is made up of various elements. You don't just pop out of a top hat as a human one day.

Evolution is absolutely real. Where it got started seems uncertain. If you want to use humans from a weird time period that have re-wrote their version of what happened, to explain where it all got started, then I guess that is your choice.

If we ignored science in other arenas and went on faith, you and I would be wearing a crotch flap and picking bugs out of eachothers hair still.

If we ignored science in other arenas and went on faith, you and I would be wearing a crotch flap and picking bugs out of eachothers hair still.

Are you flirting with me :huh:

With recent research, ironically enough, science has confirmed that it's pretty much a fact that a very great flood took place in the Middle East around the time that would have matched up with Noah. A flood and an ark and animals really happened. Worldwide? Who knows. But it's not like people in the Middle East even knew that North America or Antarctica existed.

I've seen it repeated in several articles and stories I've come across in the recent past. Don't expect a link, as I can't cite it from work.

Cultures around the world have similar legends of a big flood.

The bible talks about "fountains of the great deep broken up" as a factor along with rain in the flooding. That there are fountains of the great deep was amazing insight.

The dimensions for the ark laid out in bible hold up to scrutiny of what makes a stable vessel of its scale. It's more stable than speed concerned modern ships of similar size.

If you consider a great world wide flood and get into the how of it, it's fascinating. I haven't carefully considered all of what's said here but it's an example of where the discussion goes.

listen2me- I caught a NOVA episode recently that went into how anthropologists, archeologists and geneticists are increasingly seeing how Neanderthals and [officially recognized as] Humans are more similar than they expected- their intelligence is not how we've appreciated it, and they had language. We've assumed modern humans are more evolved and have run with it, if we're being honest. It's not that the new information seals the deal, but it shows how much faith mainstream science has in some of its presuppositions (it shelves what should be open, valid curiosity). That's not science worth venerating.

What about the little piggy who goes wee wee wee all the way home?

What about the little piggy who goes wee wee wee all the way home?

Probably gonna need new underwear.

Darwin's Galapagos observations don't establish speciation/divergence.

Perspective

Since people default to being "respecters of person" swayed by who courts the most respect in the fickle court of public opinion, it's worth noting that author holds a biology M.A. and Ph.D. from Harvard, with chemistry and biology honors from Tufts University.