Sign in to follow this  
Flyfreak

D.Murray's days in Dallas appear to be numbered

Ingram's health and plan B is a great point, and def Randle is not a full time solution.

That being said, an extra $2 or $3m a year is a big deal. Reason? Bcoz even if Murray was still under contract and signed - we still don't have a pass rush, a reliable secondary or any idea who will be playing LB next year. We had Murray last year and still couldnt stop Green Bay or anyone else when it really mattered. In a perfect world Murray and Carr could swap contracts - but that's not a reality.... Point is if we spend to keep Murray and give him what he deserves, we still don't improve as a team. Given his health history and coming of 437 carries - it just isn't a smart gamble imo.

Carr was playing for life last couple games... actually did good on Nelson and Megatron. But he'll still be a cap casualty.

R8RMick, on 28 Jan 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Carr was playing for life last couple games... actually did good on Nelson and Megatron. But he'll still be a cap casualty.

I love Carr the person - great guy who really had a hard time personally losing his mother last year. Towards the end he did come around some, but he isn't a $50m corner - and his contract is a real albatross on this team. Of course that's Jerry's fault - but still, it is what it is.... He, Clairborne, Scandrick and the rest did a pretty good job last year given the fact they had no pass rush - were asked to cover for long periods of time........... If/when we address the defense in the draft and spend some money in FA - our secondary will improve overnight. Of course, we will be limited if Jerry decides to pay Murray or AP $9m plus.

Free agent DeMarco Murray says he hasn't started thinking about his contract yet, but left open the possibility that he won't be back with the Cowboys.

"You never know what’s going to happen, we’ll see what happens," Murray said in a radio interview. "But all you can do is hope for the best." The early signs suggest Murray will be allowed to walk, but owner/GM Jerry Jones has always been extremely reluctant to part with home-grown talent.

ESPN's Adam Schefter says at least six teams have done background work on Adrian Peterson in the event he becomes available.

Peterson's legal issues coupled with his $15.4M cap number mean he could very well be headed for a split from the Vikings. He won't lack for suitors even at age 30, as he's proven repeatedly that he is built differently than mere mortals. Schefter mentions the Cowboys as a possible landing spot if DeMarco Murray moves on in free agency.

not a fan of the eagles, but would love to see them sign murray or ap and trade shady, foles and a bunch of picks to tb for mariota

not a fan of the eagles, but would love to see them sign murray or ap and trade shady, foles and a bunch of picks to tb for mariota

What would be Tampa's motivation for making a deal like that? McCoy has a huge ass contract with several years still left on it - and nobody in their right mind would rather have Foles over Mariota.

What would be Tampa's motivation for making a deal like that? McCoy has a huge ass contract with several years still left on it - and nobody in their right mind would rather have Foles over Mariota.

but the draft picks man, the draft picks

also, not everyone is sold on mariota

watch Jerry steal some thunder and make the deal during the Superbowl lol

He's notorious for doing this locally - would not be surprised to see him do it here too. :lol:

but the draft picks man, the draft picks

also, not everyone is sold on mariota

Agreed on Mariota... But no way I see Tampa taking on Shady's contract - nor do I see them salivating over drafts picks that aren't anywhere near to the top of the rotation.... Likewise - is Philly a qb away from the SB? Absolutely not - they need defensive help, rather urgently in the secondary.

Agreed on Mariota... But no way I see Tampa taking on Shady's contract - nor do I see them salivating over drafts picks that aren't anywhere near to the top of the rotation.... Likewise - is Philly a qb away from the SB? Absolutely not - they need defensive help, rather urgently in the secondary.

yeah, agree about the secondary priority, however Kelly wants maroita and has made it known...i think the bucs are playing the "we want mariota" card to see what the birds might offer...also, shady only has two years remaining on his contract, maybe the eagles will have to retain some salary

Flyfreak, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:10 PM, said:

yeah, agree about the secondary priority, however Kelly wants maroita and has made it known...i think the bucs are playing the "we want mariota" card to see what the birds might offer...also, shady only has two years remaining on his contract, maybe the eagles will have to retain some salary

The Birds would have to do something. Even at 2 years remaining - there is still about $17m owed to McCoy. Rebuilding teams (which the Bucs are) don't benefit any from having a $9m a year rb eating up valuable cap space.

not familiar with the bucs cap right now, but pretty sure they have tons of money to burn

at the moment, they're sitting at $117M on the books. this figure obviously does not include their UFAs or RFAs.

but cruzer is right--there's no incentive to bring in a high-dollar FA unless he's the kind of player who can turn the team into a playoff competitor. improving from 2-14 to 8-8 doesn't mean anything.

at the moment, they're sitting at $117M on the books. this figure obviously does not include their UFAs or RFAs.

but cruzer is right--there's no incentive to bring in a high-dollar FA unless he's the kind of player who can turn the team into a playoff competitor. improving from 2-14 to 8-8 doesn't mean anything.

lots of trades don't make sense, but they still happen

see herschel walker trade to vikes

lots of trades don't make sense, but they still happen

see herschel walker trade to vikes

that trade actually made a lot of sense--a top RB was viewed as the missing piece that would propel an already good MIN roster to SB contention. they had a top-5 defense and a solid passing game, but absolutely no rushing threat. so adding walker was a win-right-now move.

didn't pan out, but the reasoning made sense.

that trade actually made a lot of sense--a top RB was viewed as the missing piece that would propel an already good MIN roster to SB contention. they had a top-5 defense and a solid passing game, but absolutely no rushing threat. so adding walker was a win-right-now move.

didn't pan out, but the reasoning made sense.

well tb's gonna suck regardless of who they draft

foles, shady and a bunch of draft picks for #2 would help the bucs quite a bit

well tb's gonna suck regardless of who they draft

foles, shady and a bunch of draft picks for #2 would help the bucs quite a bit

that's the whole point--they're going to suck anyway, so spending big money on FAs isn't going to help. and it's going to overload the cap in the future. wiser to draft for 2 more years, then bring in value FAs, when the (inexpensive) draft picks have accumulated some experience.

you build a team through the draft, and finish it through high-end FA or trade acquisitions. doing this is what dallas did right back in the 90s (haley, sanders), and backwards in the 00s (a big long list of trades/FAs). TB isn't even close to being built yet, so adding a guy like mccoy or murray would be a bad move.

dream situation for TB would be trading out of #2 to PHI, so that chip can grab mariota. i don't have the chart handy, but that would probably be two 1sts and a 2nd-3rd.

interesting tidbit i picked up today--the 4yr/$16M offer to murray was not new--it's the same offer that has been on the table since september.

so it's not at all the insulting lowball that a lot of people (myself included) thought it was.

interesting tidbit i picked up today--the 4yr/$16M offer to murray was not new--it's the same offer that has been on the table since september.

so it's not at all the insulting lowball that a lot of people (myself included) thought it was.

that's not a bad base contract, but would need to have a signing bonus and maybe a few performance bonuses as well

that would make him the 12th highest paid RB in the league (with bush, CJ, PHI's backup RB, and steven jackson), right behind ryan mathews on his rookie contract. jonathan stewart averages over $7M per year.

the offer isn't even remotely competitive for a guy who just won the rushing title. i suspect he's going to want something on the order of $8M, which would put him at 4th. dez is going to want $12-14M. with romo's weird 2015 cap hit, that would be almost $50M for 3 guys. fixable in accounting, but still...

that would make him the 12th highest paid RB in the league (with bush, CJ, PHI's backup RB, and steven jackson), right behind ryan mathews on his rookie contract. jonathan stewart averages over $7M per year.

the offer isn't even remotely competitive for a guy who just won the rushing title. i suspect he's going to want something on the order of $8M, which would put him at 4th. dez is going to want $12-14M. with romo's weird 2015 cap hit, that would be almost $50M for 3 guys. fixable in accounting, but still...

if lynch hits paydirt, murray and ap will not be far behind

Flyfreak, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:43 PM, said:

not familiar with the bucs cap right now, but pretty sure they have tons of money to burn

That's actually a pretty good way to put it, money burned is exactly what it would be. The Bucs have won a combined 17 games the last 4 seasons - 17! Have only won 6 combined the last 2 seasons...... You don't rebuild by committing $9m a year to an overvalued position. Even if, and that a huge if, the Bucs turn it around - McCoy will be long gone by the time it happens and not be a part of it anyways.

And I really don't know why the Hawks would even entertain the idea of giving Lynch a new deal at this time. Unless a long term contract provides a significant discount - why bother? They have him for next year at $5m already - I'd ride it out and test the market come this time next year. If you still want to pay him then, fine - but why do it now and pay twice for him this year (basically).

Teams shouldn't overpay just because some dumbass GM gave Jonathan freaking Stewart $7 million per.

That said 4/16 does seem a bit low for Murray. I'd say 5.5 million a year would be reasonable

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones admitted talks with free agent DeMarco Murray have been "slow," and Murray will make it to the open market.

"[Murray] is probably going to, you know, get some peace and see what's out in the market and then we'll talk and see," Jones said. "I do believe deep down he'd love to stay in Dallas." The Cowboys couldn't reach a long-term deal with fellow free agent Dez Bryant and will be forced to tag him this week. Murray's days with Dallas aren't necessarily over, but the 27-year-old should chase the money.

say hello to the vikings next rb

If I were a Murray owner, I would be shopping him yesterday, I just think its best to unload now and get max value because I just dont see him gaining any value in the future, unless Dallas resigns him, but as a Dallas fan, I can tell you I really dont see that happening, but thats besides the point, because if your playing the odds, the chance Murray signs elsewhere with an inferior OL is much more probable than Murray coming back to dallas, and thats the chance you have to take at this point, but I would maximize his value now, he is the classic "I wish I would have sold then" guy right now, before he ends up on a team like Indy, Oakland, or the Jags, and his value drops like a lead weight in water.

Teams shouldn't overpay just because some dumbass GM gave Jonathan freaking Stewart $7 million per.

That said 4/16 does seem a bit low for Murray. I'd say 5.5 million a year would be reasonable

He'll get way more than that.

He'll get way more than that.

Then he's not worth it simply by virtue of the position he plays.

If I were a Murray owner, I would be shopping him yesterday, I just think its best to unload now and get max value

Max value would have been stretch runs last season. Right now I know several people holding out for another player 'of his stature' in return, and no one is buying. IF he ends up back in DAL then he'll have perhaps as much as 75% of his value at week 10 last year. Pretty much anywhere else and you'll be looking at 55-65 cents on the dollar.

the eagles just entered the rb market

i could see them offering murray 8m

I'd expect them to go into this FA pool with about 25-30 million in cap space. Iggles have huge needs on the defensive side of the ball though...

I'd expect them to go into this FA pool with about 25-30 million in cap space. Iggles have huge needs on the defensive side of the ball though...

agree, there are many good FA rbs that don't have shady's price tag

they have to fix that secondary, also, they released cole

this sounds interesting

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Jaguars "could push hard" to push free agent DeMarco Murray out of the Cowboys' price range.

Robinson reports the Jags are seeking a "centerpiece" back. Jax is awash in cap space, and would win a bidding war with Dallas if Murray pursues top dollar.

Dallas is not going to shell out $9m a year for Murray - simply not going to happen..... Enjoy your $$$ and sun in Jacksonville Demarco, enjoy your 8 and 9 man fronts in Jacksonville, enjoy your 5 win season - thank you for a memorable season last year.

Dallas is not going to shell out $9m a year for Murray - simply not going to happen..... Enjoy your $$$ and sun in Jacksonville Demarco, enjoy your 8 and 9 man fronts in Jacksonville, enjoy your 5 win season - thank you for a memorable season last year.

I wonder if Murray will give home team discount like Cobb did

I wonder if Murray will give home team discount like Cobb did

Some are calling it that, but I don't see it as Cobb giving a "hometown discount". Yes he took less money than he could of gotten on the market - but he still turned down the Pack's initial offer of 8-to-9 million and got $10m a year... I think the Cowboys ceiling is going to be $6.5m a year for Murray - and with Jax willing to empty the checkbook, I don't see him staying for that.... And like I've said before, don't blame him one bit. This is Murray's 1 shot at mega payday, will never happen again.

Enjoy your $$$ and sun in Jacksonville Demarco, enjoy your 8 and 9 man fronts in Jacksonville, enjoy your 5 win season - thank you for a memorable season last year.

this is pretty much my thinking.

that said, it's easy for us to look at it from the outside and say "well...a shot at a lombardi is worth more than just money." but i have to question whether i could bring myself to turn down an extra $10M or so lifetime earnings, just to stay in dallas.