Sign in to follow this  
Flyfreak

D.Murray's days in Dallas appear to be numbered

this is pretty much my thinking.

that said, it's easy for us to look at it from the outside and say "well...a shot at a lombardi is worth more than just money." but i have to question whether i could bring myself to turn down an extra $10M or so lifetime earnings, just to stay in dallas.

Yeah its not like dallas is some perennial powerhouse. I wouldnt think twice if it was between dallas or more money.

to be fair, the opposing viewpoint is that dallas went 12-4 after losing the 3 best players from a very bad defense the year before, and only getting partial seasons from the less talented fill-ins they brought in to replace them (lawrence, durant, mcclain, melton).

so even with a collection of junk on defense, dallas crushed the regular season, beat the eventual SB runner-up, and threatened GB right down to the end. a very strong case can be made that any kind of defensive talent injection can solidify their status as a serious contender for the next couple of years.

but there would be more cash in JAX.

to be fair, the opposing viewpoint is that dallas went 12-4 after losing the 3 best players from a very bad defense the year before, and only getting partial seasons from the less talented fill-ins they brought in to replace them (lawrence, durant, mcclain, melton).

so even with a collection of junk on defense, dallas crushed the regular season, beat the eventual SB runner-up, and threatened GB right down to the end. a very strong case can be made that any kind of defensive talent injection can solidify their status as a serious contender for the next couple of years.

but there would be more cash in JAX.

This is still dallas we are talking about. There has been a lot of years of hope only to end in disappointment.

The big day is here and the leading rusher of the league last year is free and available... Where are all the offers? Where are the droves of teams beating down Demarco's door? Jax is it?

I wonder if, in addition to his frustration with Dallas, if Murray is also shocked at the lack of teams begging for his services...?

The big day is here and the leading rusher of the league last year is free and available... Where are all the offers? Where are the droves of teams beating down Demarco's door? Jax is it?

I wonder if, in addition to his frustration with Dallas, if Murray is also shocked at the lack of teams begging for his services...?

Apparently NFL teams do their homework, and realize a 27 year old RB with an injury history coming off a season where he had a million touches might not be the best investment. Fantasy owners should follow suit and draft accordingly.

He'd make that Eagle defense better, just like he did in Dallas. And their offensive line is just as good. The Chipster is wheeling and dealing.

He'd make that Eagle defense better, just like he did in Dallas. And their offensive line is just as good. The Chipster is wheeling and dealing.

i wonder what his price tag would be

i wonder what his price tag would be

Well, he wants to be paid like McCoy for starters.

Well, he wants to be paid like McCoy for starters.

16m a year? is that right

i thought he'd be okay with 10m and loads of guaranteed cash

Yeah its not like dallas is some perennial powerhouse. I wouldnt think twice if it was between dallas or more money.

They are with Murray. Period.

They are with that offensive line. Period.

ftfy

as far as the importance of the skill position players go:

Romo >> Dez >> Murray.

16m a year? is that right

i thought he'd be okay with 10m and loads of guaranteed cash

No, $8 to 9m a year - something in the range of $25m guaranteed.

ftfy

as far as the importance of the skill position players go:

Romo >> Dez >> Murray.

DeMarco Murray broke the Cowboy single game rushing mark as a rookie in 2011, before most of the current line was in place. That means he outperformed players like Emmit, Tony Dorsett, and Herschel Walker. That was the same year Romo was almost killed by the same offensive line. Murray has averaged 4.8 yards a carry since that season. And though he HAS had injuries, any football person could see that his monster performance last year had just as much to do with an increased workload ie. opportunity than with the stellar play of that line.

DeMarco Murray broke the Cowboy single game rushing mark as a rookie in 2011, before most of the current line was in place. That means he outperformed players like Emmit, Tony Dorsett, and Herschel Walker. That was the same year Romo was almost killed by the same offensive line. Murray has averaged 4.8 yards a carry since that season. And though he HAS had injuries, any football person could see that his monster performance last year had just as much to do with an increased workload ie. opportunity than with the stellar play of that line.

- he got the increased workload because the line played remarkable football. period.

not knocking his talent and work ethic... but if you think that he is more important to the overall scheme, as an individual, than Romo or Dez ... that's just crazy talk.

btw, Romo and Dez have their share of records as well ... whoop dee fockin' doo.

Murray is third in the pecking order, and the current contract situations of all three verify that.

- he got the increased workload because the line played remarkable football. period.

not knocking his talent and work ethic... but if you think that he is more important to the overall scheme, as an individual, than Romo or Dez ... that's just crazy talk.

btw, Romo and Dez have their share of records as well ... whoop dee fockin' doo.

Murray is third in the pecking order, and the current contract situations of all three verify that.

You're talking apples and oranges lad, and doing a poor job at that. Not arguing the merits of Dez and Romo in that offense, but in both 2012 and 2013 those guys had great seasons and the team finished 8-8. Murray does so much more than gaining yards and scoring touchdowns, his game keeps the defense off the field. That more than anything led to 12 wins last season. If you can't understand that concept I'm wasting my time.

If you want to fall into the trap of thinking the Cowboy's success in 2014 was solely the offensive line's glory, then by all means help yourself to 8-8 again.

You're talking apples and oranges lad, and doing a poor job at that....If you want to fall into the trap of thinking the Cowboy's success in 2014 was solely the offensive line's glory, then by all means help yourself to 8-8 again.

Okay - so what are you arguing, to just pay Murray his $9m a year or so and move on? In a perfect world, or league with no salary cap - sure no problem. But that isn't a reality - in the real world there is a cap and bcoz of the mismanagement that Jerry and Stephen have done in the past this team is strapped hard against it.

Dallas has about $11m of cap space to work with. Another $12m could be freed up if Romo's deal was restructured - which Dallas doesn't not want to do. So you're suggesting to blow the wad and pay Murray? Over paying for players is exactly why Dallas is in the cap mess they are in now - toss in all the dead money, and it's a cluster fock.... Murray is great - but there is no way he is worth 9, 8 or even $7m a year. The draft is loaded with rb's that would be younger, cheaper - and possibly even better... I say stay the course, don't get sucked in and over pay, draft a rb - utilize cap space for defense - we need help at every position on that side of the ball.

cowboys announced their priorities with the doug free signing--O line continuity is more important to them than murray. you don't pay a RT $5M/y and then turn around and offer the rushing champ $7M. they knew murray would be watching that deal, and that he would want substantially more than free--like $9M. and they're not going to pay him that. i suspect that this is why murray scrubbed DAL references from his twitter feed.

jerry is playing hardball here, and PHI's signing of mathews only helps him. murray now has his choice of DAL or non-contenders like JAX, OAK, and TB.

jerry is playing hardball here, and PHI's signing of mathews only helps him. murray now has his choice of DAL or non-contenders like JAX, OAK, and TB.

Depending on what AP does, I'd add Minny to that list as well.

Depending on what AP does, I'd add Minny to that list as well.

philly is still in on murray

the boys offered him 5m per, i don't see him taking that offer

Hes coming to philly i can feel it....bradford was just on saying hes in contact with murray etc. Pulling him for birds. At this point ill take Murray lol

With philly just signing Matthews I don't see Murray coming to philly

mathew's deal isn't anything great, more like a backup rb contract

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports free agent DeMarco Murray's "top choice" is to play for the Eagles.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported this afternoon that Murray personally reached out to the Eagles, perhaps with designs on facing the Cowboys twice per year. Murray feels slapped in the face by Dallas, which rode him into the ground in 2014 on a career-threatening workload, before offering him a deal worth just $5 million per year. The level of Philadelphia's interest is not known, but Murray might be willing to go there on a cost-friendly deal.

How many rbs do the eagles have now with Matthews added? I would think if they wanted Murray they wouldn't have wasted money signing Matthews to a deal but then I'm not part of the organization or know their plans

How many rbs do the eagles have now with Matthews added? I would think if they wanted Murray they wouldn't have wasted money signing Matthews to a deal but then I'm not part of the organization or know their plans

sproles, polk, mathews

murray would be nice in philly as mathews is a good backup if he can stay healthy

they can trade polk to dallas for a 1st

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported this afternoon... Murray feels slapped in the face by Dallas, which rode him into the ground in 2014 on a career-threatening workload...

And that's exactly why Philly, or any team, can have him for anything more than $5m a year. I'd much rather draft a fresh, young, less expensive rb than be tied up in guaranteed money to Murray when he's 30.

And that's exactly why Philly, or any team, can have him for anything more than $5m a year. I'd much rather draft a fresh, young, less expensive rb than be tied up in guaranteed money to Murray when he's 30.

guaranteed $ is the most important thing with murray as he can be dropped whenever

i thought for sure the cowboys would have given him a nice chunk of guaranteed cash to keep him in dallas

everyone knows the draft is a crap-shoot

True - but you're not talking about AP here. It's C. Polk - at worst the odds are even money (cheaper money) the rb drafted will be just as good.

True - but you're not talking about AP here. It's C. Polk - at worst the odds are even money (cheaper money) the rb drafted will be just as good.

alright, a 4th and lets call it a day

alright, a 4th and lets call it a day

What part of 'No thanks - will pass' is confusing? Rather draft one.. If you are hell bent on just dealing Polk - will give you a 5th in 2016 for him.

What part of 'No thanks - will pass' is confusing? Rather draft one.. If you are hell bent on just dealing Polk - will give you a 5th in 2016 for him.

i love it when you talk dirty

i love it when you talk dirty

Ha, I feel like I need a shower now...... Actually - I might deal Polk for a 4th. He's only making about $1.5m and that's a hell of a price for a starting rb. Question is - is Polk starter quality?

Ha, I feel like I need a shower now...... Actually - I might deal Polk for a 4th. He's only making about $1.5m and that's a hell of a price for a starting rb. Question is - is Polk starter quality?

From what I've seen. Meh

i'm not impressed