Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Childhood hobbies?

football cards, pogs, basketball/backyard football, interested in golf when pretty much no one my age was, i got into fantasy football when I was like 9 so that was a hobby pretty hard for a while, madden

Dungeons and Dragons

It took until post 22 to get this?

:headbanger:

When I was a little kid, I used to play a game I called "roll the balls".

Was too short to use a pool cue effectively, but that didn't stop me.

Instead of playing solids and stripes, I had two different groups; The good and the bad.

Good:

2,4,14,6,15,7,10, Cue

Bad:

From there, it was played basically like 9-ball without a cue. The balls sharing the same color were brothers, but sometimes,tragically, brothers would become divided. Such as in the case of 7 and 15. Still they rarely went after each other.

Cue and 8 were of course, naturall rivals and pretty much the leaders of their respective groups. Ten and 12 were both a little sketchy and tended to play whatever shot was easiest for them to sink. Not the kind of balls you'd like with you in a foxhole.

Six and Fourteen, however were stand-up balls. Loyal as the day is long. 7 was the best ball of all - and frequently went after 8 with a passion - because 8 was the toughest ball on the bad side.

God, I played the shiit out of that game. :mellow:

Come to think of it, I anthropomorphized my hot wheels into good and bad units too...

Then I discovered my weemus. :banana:

Of course, the Good Guys are led by the white ball and the Bad Guys are led by the black ball.

RACIST!

It took until post 22 to get this?

:headbanger:

I may be in the minority but I hated DandD. Couple friends loved it but I could not get into it.

I wanted to do reenactments, but you had to be 18. By then, I figured out that I was glad the south lost the war.

:first:

baseball cards.

used my own money (lawn mowing, lunch money, etc) to buy 'em and had nearly everything from late 70s to late 80s.

it was a business enterprise for me: use lunch money before school to buy nickle candy. sell nickle candy at school for 25cents each, go to card shop after school and buy cards. Rinse/Repeat.

Sophomore year of college, I was short my end of the tuition. Sold a stack of cards for $2k - ripken, henderson, boggs, clemens, gooden, strawbetty, canseco, mcguire (olympic) rookie cards and more. Paid for some school that way. Broke my heart to do it back then, but I sold high - those cards are not worth anything near that today.

sports - all sports but baseball crazed

everything baseball, playing baseball, watching This Week in Baseball and The Baseball Bunch with Bench and Lasorda.

manhunt / relevio / capture the flag

Look, kids have all different names for this "advanced" hide and seek game - one group hides in the woods, the other group finds them, sometimes a flag/goal/etc is involved. We would spend hours/DAYS playing this game... on foot, on bikes, in the woods, through the town.

dungeons & dragons

Loved it. Read more than any kid I knew because of it. Loved the game/rules/mechanics and all the worlds/stories behind it all. I owned/bought every book/module/hardcover/rule/extension possible. I read any/every novel that ever came out - Weiss/Hickman/Greenwood/R.A. Salvatore/etc, etc.

Paintball

manhunt/allevio eventually graduated to spray bottles with hot water and salt in them - rake the eyes man, find 'em and gun 'em down with hot salt water in the eyes.... it was squirt gun fights with a bit more pain involved. Then paint ball was invented in High School. We all bought pistols and rifles and would go off into the woods. Very good times.

video games

from Pong to Atari, Nintendo, Sega, and beyond - video games were a cornerstone of my childhood.

i think i might have already answered, but my "hobby" was masturbating. once i discovered what that little thing could do, it was on.

I grew up in the NE, so being in the marching band did make you a bit of a nerd. I was in the drum line until my senior year when i became a drum major, so I was basically King of the Band Nerds. But I was able to cross into a bunch of 'circles' because of the rock band and getting voted class clown (still one of my life's crowning achievements).

My experience was similar; I was the lead trumpet player but also lettered in two sports, so I ran in multiple circles and to the chicks in the band, I was the shiznit. I've often said that while the football players rode the bus back from games with other sweaty football players, I was hitting on some majorette or flag twirler.

Legos

Great one. In the mid to late 70s my bro and I often spent days at my grandma's house while my parents worked. They bought us a ginormous box of legos and we spent countless hours creatively building stuff. We often asked to bring the legos home, but they wouldn't let us. It was a special thing for grandma's house, and we were eager to go there and build with them. Pretty smart, my parents.

Legos have changed a lot, for the worse IMO. Nowadays you can mostly only get the pre-defined kits with instructions. Where is the creativity in that? Give a kid big box of piece parts and say "go build something." :thumbsup:

Like others I was baseball crazed and when not playing baseball of some kind I was at the pool swimming.

I had some collecting hobbies as well had a huge beer can and wine bottle collection but from 9 on I became a music geek and ended up with over 700 albums and hundreds of 45's and lost all of them in a fire as a young adult. :(

dungeons & dragons

Loved it. Read more than any kid I knew because of it. Loved the game/rules/mechanics and all the worlds/stories behind it all. I owned/bought every book/module/hardcover/rule/extension possible. I read any/every novel that ever came out - Weiss/Hickman/Greenwood/R.A. Salvatore/etc, etc.

Yeah I was in the same boat. Getting friends together and planning campaigns, creating characters with a DM etc was hard logistically. We did it on occasion, but I just liked to read the rulebooks and mostly the monster manuals. I still have the original AD&D Manster Manual, Fiend Folio, Moster Manual II (I think that's what it's called). I loved how each creature had a story, strength and write up.

I remember when I did get a chance to play it was usually me and my one friend - one would control the party, one would be DM. I remembered we both knew the monsters pretty well, so if the guy controlling the partry was taking too long and just sitting around trying to find secret doors and stuff, the DM would say "You hear Demogorgon coming" and that was pretty much the signal to get a move on. Demogorgon was a bad ass mo-fo from what I recall.