Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Teen jailed for Facebook comment learning prison is not so much fun

Dude, please tell me you're just pretending to be this stupid.

I'm going to say this for the fifth time now. I'll say it in caps. Please read it slowly so you don't miss it again.....I FEEL THE PUNISHMENT WAS TOO HARSH.

Should I type it out once more? Just to make sure you really got it? Ok....

.....I FEEL THE PUNISHMENT WAS TOO HARSH.

Am I clear now about the fact that I think the punishment was too harsh?

but if it is a true terrorist threat like you say it is why is the punishment too harsh.

2. So you're going to apply the law differently based on whether someone has "access to any weapons" or not? That doesn't seem like much of a slippery slope.

Yes, of course. If you choose to have weapons, you are voluntarily taking on a little extra responsibility. It's not much of a price to pay for the right to arm yourself.

Simply put, if a guy without access to a gun says he is going to shoot me, I'll react a little differently than if a guy holding a gun says he is going to shoot me. And police should do the same.

I know you say that - then you seem to go on about how it is just that this is a real crime! You seem to think he deserves some kind of punishment for this... granted - you think what happening is "too harsh" . So then what punishment would you of given him? if indeed you feel what he did was a crime - which seems to be the sentiment of your argument.

I think what Newbie is saying, and he is 100% correct, is that yes it was a crime. Yes, the kid deserves to be punished. He just doesn't think it should be the felony 10 year $500k bond type of crime. A lesser charge.

As to what charge? I guess I'd have to hear the options for what people making murder threats can be charged with.

I think what Newbie is saying, and he is 100% correct, is that yes it was a crime. Yes, the kid deserves to be punished. He just doesn't she be the felony 10 year $500k bond type of crime. A lesser charge.

As to what charge? I guess I'd have to hear the options for what people making murder threats can be charged with.

Golf clap. That wasn't so hard, was it? Quite a few other people had a real hard time figuring that out.

but if it is a true terrorist threat like you say it is why is the punishment too harsh.

As I stated, I need way more information than that article gives to make a decision on how severe the penalty should be.

(why am I answering you as if you are an intelligent person asking a legitimate question?) :wacko:

Newbie, you seem to be characterizing this a terrorist threat, but don't you have to put the comment into context? Its being made on Facebook to his supposed friends in the context of playing a violent video game. Who is he intending to threaten? If you look at the text of the TX statute, it really only applies if you are trying to place someone in fear that they are going to be harmed (which is a misdemeanor under the statute btw) or if you are trying to shut-down a public service such as transportation (i.e. threaten to blow-up a train and the gov't has to shut down the train system to check for bombs).

None of this happened here. It was just a stupid distasteful comment which was meant as a joke and not intended to threaten anyone. Not a crime in my opinion :dunno:

Also, bail is not supposed to be punishment, it is only supposed to be used to insure you will appear in Court for trial. You are only supposed to be punished after you have been found guilty. Sounds to me like bail is being used in this case as a form of pre-trial punishment which is highly improper.

• Like 1

I think what Newbie is saying, and he is 100% correct, is that yes it was a crime. Yes, the kid deserves to be punished. He just doesn't think it should be the felony 10 year $500k bond type of crime. A lesser charge.

This was a stupid kid saying something really dumb. yes there could be and likely is more to it -- but based on the little we know here it is exactly that. Going by this criteria Phillybear,Swerski,Meph,Gutter,etc. would be serving life sentences for things they have posted here. Unless this guy put on facebook some elaborate plan to go to a school and kill a bunch of kids , posted details , and made actions like he was really going to follow up on it -- then any punishment other than a small fine is crazy.

Newbie, you seem to be characterizing this a terrorist threat, but don't you have to put the comment into context? Its being made on Facebook to his supposed friends in the context of playing a violent video game. Who is he intending to threaten? If you look at the text of the TX statute, it really only applies if you are trying to place someone in fear that they are going to be harmed (which is a misdemeanor under the statute btw) or if you are trying to shut-down a public service such as transportation (i.e. threaten to blow-up a train and the gov't has to shut down the train system to check for bombs).

None of this happened here. It was just a stupid distasteful comment which was meant as a joke and not intended to threaten anyone. Not a crime in my opinion :dunno:

Also, bail is not supposed to be punishment, it is only supposed to be used to insure you will appear in Court for trial. You are only supposed to be punished after you have been found guilty. Sounds to me like bail is being used in this case as a form of pre-trial punishment which is highly improper.

What was said by the guy before someone said to him that he's insane or crazy? I really don't have any context to go by here? Is it possible the kid has a reputation as a freaky scary kid who people have always been a little nervous about? I know none of these things. I DO think the penalties seem too severe for the info we are given, but this article was pursued by the kid's father. So he's obviously talking from a dad's perspective.

This was a stupid kid saying something really dumb. yes there could be and likely is more to it -- but based on the little we know here it is exactly that. Going by this criteria Phillybear,Swerski,Meph,Gutter,etc. would be serving life sentences for things they have posted here. Unless this guy put on facebook some elaborate plan to go to a school and kill a bunch of kids , posted details , and made actions like he was really going to follow up on it -- then any punishment other than a small fine is crazy.

It was 19 year old. Old enough to vote, go to war, etc. It's not a 12 year old mouthing off. It's a college aged kid that can legally buy weapons. Still, I'm not saying he deserves to be in jail for 10 years. And common sense says that isn't going to happen. Even here in Texas.

I wonder what the reaction would be if he was a 19 year old Muslim saying he was going to blow up a school on FB. Or a 19 year old inner city kid threatening to cap some kids the next street over on FB. Would everyone still be saying small fine at most?

What was said by the guy before someone said to him that he's insane or crazy? I really don't have any context to go by here? Is it possible the kid has a reputation as a freaky scary kid who people have always been a little nervous about? I know none of these things. I DO think the penalties seem too severe for the info we are given, but this article was pursued by the kid's father. So he's obviously talking from a dad's perspective.

Well, just look at the text of the statute I posted earlier. You have the requisite intent in order to commit a crime. Do your really think this kid intended to "cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service"? Because that is what the government has charged him with.

I wonder what the reaction would be if he was a 19 year old Muslim saying he was going to blow up a school on FB.

Guantanamo Bay B1tch...................... :mad:

Well, just look at the text of the statute I posted earlier. You have the requisite intent in order to commit a crime. Do your really think this kid intended to "cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service"? Because that is what the government has charged him with.

I'd say 95% chance he did not have those intentions.

The judge in this case has been reprimanded for over reach before. Once threw a dad (or grandfather, not sure which) in jail for 30 days for calling a family member a fool in a courthouse bathroom during a custody hearing.

I think what Newbie is saying, and he is 100% correct, is that yes it was a crime.

Please quote the statute he 100% violated.

I like this judge.

Texas justice > Massachusetts justice

You're sure you're a libertarian? I mean SURE sure?

Guantanamo Bay B1tch...................... :mad:

While you may or may not be joking, you realize these are pretty much the equivalent threats for each race, right?

Black - Threaten to smoke someone in a drive by

Muslim - Threaten to blow up people

White - Threaten a school shooting or mass shooting

I'm not really arguing about this kid per say, because I don't know enough case details. But in concept, don't just laugh off the white kid as joking around, simply because we know lots of white kids that joke around. I'm sure if I was Muslim, I'd know Muslims that make jokes.

As I stated, I need way more information than that article gives to make a decision on how severe the penalty should be.

(why am I answering you as if you are an intelligent person asking a legitimate question?) :wacko:

but you also said this 5 times, now which one is it?

I'm going to say this for the fifth time now. I'll say it in caps. Please read it slowly so you don't miss it again.....I FEEL THE PUNISHMENT WAS TOO HARSH.

How do you know without all the information?

While you may or may not be joking, you realize these are pretty much the equivalent threats for each race, right?

Black - Threaten to smoke someone in a drive by

Muslim - Threaten to blow up people

White - Threaten a school shooting or mass shooting

I'm not really arguing about this kid per say, because I don't know enough case details. But in concept, don't just laugh off the white kid as joking around, simply because we know lots of white kids that joke around. I'm sure if I was Muslim, I'd know Muslims that make jokes.

If he were a Muslim he would not be in jail. HTH

Nobody here has enough information to give an informed answer, but that hasn't stopped anyone from offering up an opinion, has it, Grampa?

Please quote the statute he 100% violated.

I can't. I don't know the law well enough. Maybe threatening to kill kindergarteners isn't illegal. Maybe a Muslim threatening to blow up a school isn't illegal either.

And just for the record, I am in favor of logical discretion. If someone says something stupid like this, I want it checked out in a very serious manner. But if it's proven to obviously be a stupid person making a bad joke, then I'm ok with a misdemeanor of some sort. I am fully aware that we'd all be in jail if saying something for shock value were all it took.

But if it's proven to obviously be a stupid person making a bad joke, then I'm ok with a misdemeanor of some sort.

So, bad jokes should get you a misdemeanor charge?

Nobody here has enough information to give an informed answer, but that hasn't stopped anyone from offering up an opinion, has it, Grampa?

Especially you until you got called on it and then you back peddled. You really suck at this Dork.

:banana: :banana:

I wonder what the reaction would be if he was a 19 year old Muslim saying he was going to blow up a school on FB. Or a 19 year old inner city kid threatening to cap some kids the next street over on FB. Would everyone still be saying small fine at most?

Of course not. Everyone knows that blacks are dangerous. And Muslims. But not black muslims; their danger factors cancel each other out.

I can't. I don't know the law well enough. Maybe threatening to kill kindergarteners isn't illegal. Maybe a Muslim threatening to blow up a school isn't illegal either.

And just for the record, I am in favor of logical discretion. If someone says something stupid like this, I want it checked out in a very serious manner. But if it's proven to obviously be a stupid person making a bad joke, then I'm ok with a misdemeanor of some sort. I am fully aware that we'd all be in jail if saying something for shock value were all it took.

Here's the thing, law enforcement had already decided to charge him with terroristic threat BEFORE they ever talked to him.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/teen-wanted-for-threatening-students

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Austin police are looking for an 18-year-old man who made a threat to "shoot up a kindergarten school" on Facebook.

According to an arrest warrant, police received a tip on Thursday that Justin R. Carter had made a posting on his Facebook page that stated "I'm f****d in the head alright, I think I'ma a shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of innocent rain down and eat the beating heart of one of them."

When authorities looked into it further, they found out that Carter's last known address is within 100 yards of Woolridge Elementary School.

Once arrested, Carter will be charged with terroristic threat.

But if it's proven to obviously be a stupid person making a bad joke, then I'm ok with a misdemeanor of some sort.

Why would you even be okay with a Mis. offense for this -- if that was proven the case?

Here's the thing, law enforcement had already decided to charge him with terroristic threat BEFORE they ever talked to him.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/teen-wanted-for-threatening-students

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Austin police are looking for an 18-year-old man who made a threat to "shoot up a kindergarten school" on Facebook.

According to an arrest warrant, police received a tip on Thursday that Justin R. Carter had made a posting on his Facebook page that stated "I'm f****d in the head alright, I think I'ma a shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of innocent rain down and eat the beating heart of one of them."

When authorities looked into it further, they found out that Carter's last known address is within 100 yards of Woolridge Elementary School.

Once arrested, Carter will be charged with terroristic threat.

Wow - How can anyone that reads this even partially condone the Judges actions

So, bad jokes should get you a misdemeanor charge?

It depends on how bad they are and on what forum.

Isn't that obvious?

Isn't that obvious?

Whenever RP and Phurfur are losing arguments, they turn to a game of semantics and try to have a "gotcha" moment with a word you may have misused. It's adorable, actually.

Whenever RP and Phurfur are losing arguments, they turn to a game of semantics and try to have a "gotcha" moment with a word you may have misused. It's adorable, actually.

Like correcting spelling?

Isn't that obvious?

So Bad jokes = Jail time -- I hope you were being sarcastic.

Are you joining in on the semantics game? The morphing is now complete. Congrats, are are RP junior.

Are you serious?

Asked about bad jokes = misdemeanors, I wrote "It depends on how bad they are and on what forum.". and you equate that to me saying "Bad jokes = Jail time". You've lost it in general here in recent weeks. Your agenda is blinding your ability to process.

What was the joke about and where did I say it? I can't go to a presidential rally and threaten to kill the president. Yet I can do it at home to a buddy and it's likely not an issue. Flipping it, I can likely tell one of my lawyer buddies that 100 lawyers at the bottom of the sea is a good start. But I probably can't walk around with a baseball bat telling people I don't know that I'm looking for a homo to beat up.

Likewise, I can't be within 100 yards of an elementary school, and post on Facebook that I'm about to kill kindergarteners.

Isn't that obvious?

Ok.

Bad joke while playing video games online = misdemeanor.

Who exactly gets to determine what constitutes a "bad joke"?

You're sure you're a libertarian? I mean SURE sure?

I may or may not have been setting the trap for Mr. Texas aka Recliner Pilot.

Way to fock it up, Parrot. :doh:

:doh:

Mr. Texas is way too smart for your dumbass traps, Mr. I Have RP On Ignore.

Police departments and State Judges shouldn't be like school principals and have zero tolerance policies. Context, circumstances, and common sense should all apply.

Unless there is more to the story this is way out of line. Like WAY out of line.