Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Attention Deficit Disorder

Wooosh. The whole point here is that Jerry is an engineer. Try and keep up.

I know he is an engineer, or trained as one at least. I’m sure he’ll confirm if he was making a funny.

So you think people should be able to purchase and use any drugs they want? Is that right?

No. I think we need to shift our focus in the “war” on drugs to prevention and rehabilitation, rather than punishment.

No. I think we need to shift our focus in the war on drugs to prevention and rehabilitation, rather than punishment.

How about those that manufacture, transport and sell those drugs?

They are criminals, and should be treated as such.

Ok. So you think people are doing lengthy prison sentences for using?

No, but there are plenty of people in jail whose most serious crime was drug possession:

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/node/3713

Need more info. How much weight are we talking? If a guy is pulled over for a traffic infraction but has 100 vials of crack, yeah, his most serious crime is possession. Do you think he was going to smoke all that ? No, he was going to sell it. And also priors would have to be included in the analysis. Some states have a 3 strikes and Your out deal. So a guy does a robbery, then a burglary, then his third arrest is possession and he goes away. But he didn't really go away for possession, but the SJW's aren't going to let you know that. They are just going to say possesion. Stats are like a Bikini. They show a lot, but they don't show everything.

This is patently false.

I have never come across anyone ot heard of anyone being recommended to get off of it. Anytime I have seen anyone quit using it, was by their own choice.

I have never come across anyone ot heard of anyone being recommended to get off of it. Anytime I have seen anyone quit using it, was by their own choice.

Every physician is aware of the abuse potential of these medications, and most of us try to limit their use. The problem is, there are enough docs who freely prescribe that people believe all physicians act in this fashion.

Personally, I've never prescribed Adderal. But my roommate from med school is a pediatric psychiatrist. The next time I talk to him, I'll ask about his experience.

Every physician is aware of the abuse potential of these medications, and most of us try to limit their use. The problem is, there are enough docs who freely prescribe that people believe all physicians act in this fashion.

Personally, I've never prescribed Adderal. But my roommate from med school is a pediatric psychiatrist. The next time I talk to him, I'll ask about his experience.

I guess I am missing the point on taking anyone off it.

Are you saying adderall cures ADD? I dont think you are.

So it would be like prescribing month of pain meds to someone with "chronic pain" then saying okay you should get off these.

Why prescribe them in the first place when these are "chronic" issues....if you are supposed to take them off of them?

My stepbrother and his son are walking ADD poster children.

My brother has been on aderall since he was like 8. He stopped taking it in middle school though. Said he doesn't like how it makes him feel. He has been filling the script for years though, and selling it to a dealer friend every month.

I used to take it occasionally in law school during finals time or if I was driving home (St. Pete to Memphis is a long focking drive by yourself). I like it.

I'm no expert...but...I think your wife's approach is wrong. Well, ask her, how is working out? Is she expecting a different result when her attempts don't change?

I'm against medicating kids...but I'm also against kids failing because of an actual issue beyond their control. I am good at understanding that there are things in life I don't understand. This issue could be one of them.

Adults can often compensate or adapt to dealing with ADD/ADHD. Kids can't.

I coach youth sports, so I have a handful of parents that come up to me and say "Hey...if little Johnny is acting differently....here's why...." So often, later, I ask them how its working out...and almost all said everyone's world has changed. The kids, the parents (no longer arguing about homework,etc), the teachers...

I'd look into it. The yelling and fighting over homework isn't worth it. (I see kids yelled at in sports by parents...and its just not a good thing when kids are yelled at by parents when the action by kid can't be controlled by the kid. Leaves the kid wondering "what did I do wrong")

He won't have to be on it forever. At some point, he will be able to adapt and compensate.

I'm a hard ass (conservative) and don't believe in cutting slack to those not trying. I'm against anything politically correct, and I'm sure I come across as a heartless right wing ass on here at times.

That being said, I understand that people are different. And telling a kid to "snap out of it" or "do better!" isn't always the answer.

It's like the electronic thing that doesn't work. Shaking it or yelling at it won't work. It might have to have some wiring modified to make it work. People's wiring is sometimes off, and that medication can be the same as taking that electronic gadget apart and uncrossing the two wires that are causing the problem.

I don't know how things roll in the volty house, but China is a trip with kids man.

These kids NEVER have free time to just play. EVER. They have hours of homework every night. If I don't assign enough, the parents will complain to me.

Most of them, after being in school from 8-4, then go to a training center during the evening for further study. Usually english or something. Same for Saturdays. My students always b!tch that they hate saturday, because its more school, but small groups where they can't get by with much.

And school here? It is sit with your back straight with your arms folded on your desk, and usually just copying sh!t all focking day. No videos, songs, activities, etc.

Its no wonder the kids are crazy when they are let loose. They never get to be kids. The whole focking society is socially stunted.

Then, after middle school, they sit through the goukou (sp?) which is the national college entrance exam. This is such a big deal that they actually turn off the cell phone towers near the testing sites so the kids can't cheat.

Then its four years in a dorm room with no heat, air, or shower, that you share with as many as 5 other people.

The parents are psychotic. Once, during parent teacher conference day, I said something to one of the little girls in my class. She didn't understand what I said. Her father, in front of all her classmates and their parents, focking blasted her, chewed her ass, shamed the family, worthless, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, its a different focking environment. I honestly don't know how the suicide rate here isn't through the roof.

My stepbrother and his son are walking ADD poster children.

My brother has been on aderall since he was like 8. He stopped taking it in middle school though. Said he doesn't like how it makes him feel. He has been filling the script for years though, and selling it to a dealer friend every month.

I used to take it occasionally in law school during finals time or if I was driving home (St. Pete to Memphis is a long focking drive by yourself). I like it.

thankfully you didn't kill anyone. My god the stupidity in this world....

I know he is an engineer, or trained as one at least. I’m sure he’ll confirm if he was making a funny.

Actually no, I wasn't trying to make a funny. I think a problem with the way medicine is practiced in the US is that it too often follows a strict flow chart to determine a specific acute diagnosis instead of taking a step back and looking at the situation holistically. :thumbsup:

Actually no, I wasn't trying to make a funny. I think a problem with the way medicine is practiced in the US is that it too often follows a strict flow chart to determine a specific acute diagnosis instead of taking a step back and looking at the situation holistically. :thumbsup:

Isn't that a big issue with Obamacare?

Great, I'm glad you confirmed HT's misinterpretation. Speaking of which, I don't think you understand much about how medicine is practiced.

Great, I'm glad you confirmed HT's misinterpretation. Speaking of which, I don't think you understand much about how medicine is practiced.

Unfortunately I'm more familiar with it than I wish. For example, my mom died of sepsis from her colon twisting on itself. It presented itself as severe back pain and constipation. I'm guessing this isn't the first time this has ever happened, but it wasn't on the flowchart, so the docs never thought to look. Perhaps it is rare unless you knew that she had had a lot of stuff taken out years earlier as part of a stage 3 cancer surgery, so maybe stuff moves around? And hey she can't poop, maybe there is a problem with her colon? The generalist in charge of her was a young smug who in hindsight I should have punched in the face in front of his wife and kids. :dunno:

Unfortunately I'm more familiar with it than I wish. For example, my mom died of sepsis from her colon twisting on itself. It presented itself as severe back pain and constipation. I'm guessing this isn't the first time this has ever happened, but it wasn't on the flowchart, so the docs never thought to look. Perhaps it is rare unless you knew that she had had a lot of stuff taken out years earlier as part of a stage 3 cancer surgery, so maybe stuff moves around? And hey she can't poop, maybe there is a problem with her colon? The generalist in charge of her was a young smug ###### who in hindsight I should have punched in the face in front of his wife and kids. :dunno:

I’m sorry you had to go through that, but don’t mistake a missed diagnosis for the overall process of medical care.

I’m not defending the smug physician, but constipation and back pain are extremely common, while volvulus is not. But if she were anywhere near septic during her evaluation, the doctor should performed some sort of abdominal/back imagery, an X-ray at the minimum. But even if the diagnosis were made, there’s no guarantee your mom would’ve survived the surgery she’d likely need.