Sign in to follow this  
deejsixer

Frank Gore Compiler Ranking

Is this an error? How can he be ranked behind Selvin Young, FatDale White, Justin Fargus, etc... in a PPR league?

while im not a gore fan at all - him at 21 is just stoopid! i'd move him up about 10-15 places (at least) in the martz system. even then, im not targeting him for anything better than my #2 rb (at best).

Rankers just don't reckon he will recapture it... I can see why, though I think he will get in between 12-16 but has a higher ceiling...

Pre-existing injuries - hasn't played a full season since high school I believe...

Weak line to run behind.

Will be the ONLY offensive threat on the team. QB position is still a major toss up and the preseason game didn't instill me with faith from any of the three.

Just possible reasoning...

Gore isn't Faulk... RBs generally see a lot less time with Martz at offensive helm, and the team has Bowe, a better receiving threat than Gore IMO.

:thumbsup:

Hey its 1am go easy on me :thumbsup:

So Gore is the only serious receiving threat, which is even worst for him... He may be the focus for the Niners offence but it also means he is the focus for the defence... Both rushing and receving...

Rankers just don't reckon he will recapture it... I can see why, though I think he will get in between 12-16 but has a higher ceiling...

Pre-existing injuries - hasn't played a full season since high school I believe...

Didn't miss a game in 2006. Didn't miss a game his rookie year at Miami. He doesn't have ant pre-existing injury. He's 5 years removed from any surgery to his knees. I'm pretty sure they're healed by now. His shoulder surgery was now 3 years ago, so I don't think those could be pre-existing either.

Weak line to run behind.

The line was MUCH weaker in 2006, when he was the #4 overall RB. Joe Staley had a pretty good rookie year in 2007, and is only getting better. They added another 3 in the draft and picked up. They also picked up a couple players in free agency. The only changes to the line are the departures of the 80 year old Larry Allen and a pretty good Justin Smiley. Other than that, the line is pretty much intact and healthy.

Will be the ONLY offensive threat on the team. QB position is still a major toss up and the preseason game didn't instill me with faith from any of the three.

Even though Martz is seen as a 'glory send', I don't see it happening... Gore isn't Faulk... RBs generally see a lot less time with Martz at offensive helm, and the team has Bowe, a better receiving threat than Gore IMO. Martz won't turn gore into Faulk. The offense also won't be on the field a hell of a lot, given it is weak...

As stated above, he was the only threat in 2006 and finished #4. Last year he still finished #11 after missing a game and playing with a sprained ankle for several. If anything the sprained ankle slowed him down more than the line. The key is he PLAYED through the sprained ankle. He didn't hurt hurt manjina and take himself out. Bowe plays for the Chiefs, not the Niners. The Rams did add Isaac Bruce who knows the Martz system better than anyone. They also added on of the better FA WR's Bryant Johnson in the off-season. Gore is only outmatched by LT and Westy as better pass catching backs. He will be heavily involved in the passing game.

I'm not denying the team has some issues. The QB position is obviously a place of concern. Even with that, looking at the schedule and knowing how much he'll be used in the offense, there's no way he finishes between 12-16 at the end of the season. Will be be a top 5 RB, probably not. Somewhere between the 6 and 10 range is pretty much a lock.

Valid rebuttal. MY views are just an opinion though...

He had serious health issues when he was younger with bust knees. Thats a pre-existing injury... PRECENDENCE for injury is a better term, sorry for the confusiong... Duly corrected about 06... And TECHNICALLY I was correct about not playing a full season concerning Miami :thumbsup:

Still a weak line... And rookies won't be helping him much...

I like Gore... But I wouldn't want him as my no. 1 RB... And I personally prefer MJD as a receiving back in PPR, but thats me...

Valid rebuttal. Just an opinion though...

No, you're giving opinions and I'm rebutting with facts!

One last thing! FFToday had him ranked the #4 RB last year. Now all of a sudden he's ranked 21, because Martz is in town? It's called someone at FFT has sour grapes. If you look at all of their RB projections, you'll see the trend. Most of the players ranked high in 2007 that underperformed are WAY lower this year. Rudi was #8, Maroney #11, Bush #12. This year Rudi #27, Maroney #20, Bush #21, etc, etc.

Last year they were down on Clinton Portis, Jamal Lewis, and Peterson. We all know how those three turned out.

This year they look to be down on Jacobs, Gore, and Ronnie Brown...

One last thing! FFToday had him ranked the #4 RB last year. Now all of a sudden he's ranked 21, because Martz is in town? It's called someone at FFT has sour grapes. If you look at all of their RB projections, you'll see the trend. Most of the players ranked high in 2007 that underperformed are WAY lower this year. Rudi was #8, Maroney #11, Bush #12. This year Rudi #27, Maroney #20, Bush #21, etc, etc.

Last year they were down on Clinton Portis, Jamal Lewis, and Peterson. We all know how those three turned out.

:first: Gore being ranked #21 in PPR or any other format is ridiculous

Nice couple of posts concerning Gore. By far the most intelligent and thought out post this preseason about him..........

The guy had an amazing 2006 and actually a great 2007 considering the situation. Perhaps the worst game planning I have ever seen. You could sit at home and call the play before it happened. Pretty easy for the defense to stack the line with the knowledge that you don't have to defend the intermediate and deep routes. But Gore fought through this and had a decent season. He came into camp in even better shape, dropping 7-8 pounds to improve his quickness.

Now, concerning Martz. You can't possibly think that he will have a negative influence on Gore. He will find a way to get the ball into his hands as often as possible and there will be more space because of players like Bruce, Johnson and Davis being utilized as they should be. Like him or not, Martz is a huge upgrade over the idiot running the offense in 2007.

Where you have Gore ranked among running backs will vary based on opinion of course, but the #21 ranking given by FF today is a joke. I think the lowest I have seen him on any other site is the 8-9 range. Our boys must have been a little off their game when the subject of Gore came up.

Interesting. Someone should take this up with management!

No seriously, it is an interesting point. I'm sure we all suffer from being burned one year and then not giving a player much hope the following year. I bit on Randy Moss as a Raider in only 1 league 2 years ago. As a result of that though, I didn't give very much thought to drafting him last year thinking he had lost it, couldn't stay healthy, had a bad attitude, etc., etc. Whoops. That didn't work out.

I agree, do you know how to move him in the compiler ranking?

Hi deejsixer. There are 2 ways to adjust a player's ranking in the Compiler and Draft Buddy.

1. In the Compiler, simply go to the RB tab and in the yellow section that says FF Today 2008 Projections, find Gore and change his projections. Hit Compile Cheatsheets again to see the result of your new projections. This will alter his projections for all leagues you have in the Compiler. Note if you hit Update Projections though, it will overwrite your changes.

2. In Buddy, after you've run the Draft Buddy Setup which brings over the cheatsheets from the Compiler, switch to the offense tab. Scroll to the right and you'll see the cheatsheet copied from the Compiler with yellow boxes over the Tier and Rank for each player. Change those as you see fit, and hit the appropriate re-rank button to sort the list. This change will only impact the one league for this Buddy file, but you don't have to mess around with the projections. Note here if you run the Draft Buddy Setup again it will overwrite your changes.

Cheers.

Hi deejsixer. There are 2 ways to adjust a player's ranking in the Compiler and Draft Buddy.

1. In the Compiler, simply go to the RB tab and in the yellow section that says FF Today 2008 Projections, find Gore and change his projections. Hit Compile Cheatsheets again to see the result of your new projections. This will alter his projections for all leagues you have in the Compiler. Note if you hit Update Projections though, it will overwrite your changes.

2. In Buddy, after you've run the Draft Buddy Setup which brings over the cheatsheets from the Compiler, switch to the offense tab. Scroll to the right and you'll see the cheatsheet copied from the Compiler with yellow boxes over the Tier and Rank for each player. Change those as you see fit, and hit the appropriate re-rank button to sort the list. This change will only impact the one league for this Buddy file, but you don't have to mess around with the projections. Note here if you run the Draft Buddy Setup again it will overwrite your changes.

Cheers.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.

Valid rebuttal. Just an opinion though...

He had serious health issues when he was younger with bust knees. Thats a pre-existing injury... May pop back up, may not. But they were there... Duly corrected about 06... And TECHNICALLY I was correct about not playing a full season concerning Miami :doh:

Still a weak line... And rookies won't be helping him much...

I like Gore... But I wouldn't want him as my no. 1 RB... And I personally prefer MJD as a receiving back in PPR, but thats me...

Gore has started 31 of 32 games since becoming a starting NFL RB including a FULL 16 games in 2006. So you were wrong about him not starting a full season since high school. And his knee injuries were several years ago and have fully healed. They cant "pop" back up. If he tears up a knee again, like any RB can do, it would be a new injury independent of his prior issues.

I like Gore this year and think he's in solidly the 2nd half of the top 10. I understand there's plenty of concerns with him but I just dont see how he could be worse than last year when SF's offense was completely inept with a first time play caller.

What I really dont understand about his projection on here is the 38 receptions. That's 33% LESS than he's averaged the last 2 years. I could see how Martz could lead to fewer rushing attempts but the reception total makes ZERO sense to me. Its almost like they're projecting him to get hurt which is a very dicey thing to do.

Weak line to run behind.

Even though Martz is seen as a 'glory send', I don't see it happening... Gore isn't Faulk... RBs generally see a lot less time with Martz at offensive helm, and the team has Bowe, a better receiving threat than Gore IMO. Martz won't turn gore into Faulk. The offense also won't be on the field a hell of a lot, given it is weak...

Excellent analysis, especially the Bowe part. :lol:

Prepare to finish last in your league.

Commented on Bowe in the next post I made :unsure:

Hey just think he will fall just outside the top 10...

And I am sure I won't win it, but I won't lose it with LdT, TO, Reggie Wayne in the ranks :P