Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2016 Masters Thread**

Masters Week is HERE!...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. Here are my final top ten favorites for this year as has been done for several year. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Adam Scott- Scott has been the best player in the world this calendar year and I think he's got the best shot at winning this, although the top five are almost interchangeable.

2. Phil Mickelson- I have been very impressed with how well Phil has played since the calendar hit 2016. I think he's got one more major in him, and I think it very well could be this one. In the end, I'm going to predict he finishes one shot off the pace.

3. Jordan Spieth- After watching Spieth's intense focus in all four majors last year, it's just hard to keep him out of the top three for me. He was awesome at Kapalua, but has struggled a bit since. Here's guessing he'll be hitting on most of his cylinders at Augusta.

4. Bubba Watson- Probably have him ranked too low. Incredibly good at Augusta and will be until he's 45-50 years old, most likely.

5. Brooks Koepka- It simply wouldn't shock me much to see Koepka win a major either this year or next. He has the game to contend at the Masters now and for a long time.

6. Charl Schwartzel- Schwartzel has been solid world-wide this year so far and I think his experience at Augusta coupled with good form will lead him back into the top ten here in 2016.

7. Jason Day- Would surprise no one if Day won, although I don't think he will this time around.

8. Hideki Matsuyama- I still think he'll be a major winner before the age of 25. Hard to say which major that will ultimately be.

9. Rory McIlroy- Play in 2016 has been sloppy thus far and I don't see an end to that in the near future. As such, a back-door top ten seems like a realistic expectation for one of the world's very best, but also very streaky players.

10. Shane Lowry- The F-bomber is a lot better player than most people realize. That win at Firestone last summer was impressive and I think he'll out-perform all other Europeans in this year's tournament.

Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning: Justin Rose, Rickie Fowler, Bill Haas, Louis Oosthuzien, Branden Grace, Marc Leishman, Brandt Snedeker (ribs), Henrik Stenson, Sergio Garcia.

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2016, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Zach Johnson, Paul Casey, Dustin Johnson, Hunter Mahan, Patrick Reed.

Young, exciting players with little Masters experience, but tons of game: David Lingmerth, Danny Lee, Daniel Berger, Harris English, Emiliano Grillo, Smylie Kaufman, Justin Thomas, Russell Knox, Andy Sullivan, Matthew Fitzpatrick.

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Martin Kaymer, Jason Dufner, Kevin Streelman, Ryan Moore, Kevin Na, Billy Horschel, J.B. Holmes, Kevin Kisner, Matt Kuchar, Scott Piercy, Jimmy Walker, Graeme McDowell, Danny Willett, Bernd Wiesberger, Chris Wood, Lee Westwood, Jamie Donaldson, Rafa Cabrera-Bello.

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Angel Cabrera, Vijay Singh, Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley, Ian Poulter, Charley Hoffman, Chris Kirk, Steven Bowditch, Fabian Gomez, Cameron Smith, Troy Merritt, Robert Streb, Anirban Lahiri, Thongchai Jaidee, Soren Kjeldsen, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, B.H. An, Victor Dubuisson, Vaughn Taylor, Jim Herman.

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Bernhard Langer, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Mark O'Meara, Tom Watson, Mike Weir, Ian Woosnam, Darren Clarke, Ernie Els, Davis Love III, all amateurs.

Not playing due to injury: Jim Furyk, Jose Maria Olazabal, Tiger Woods

I know the top ten is pretty much chalk, but I just don't see anyone surprising really breaking through this year. There has been a real separation the past few months in terms of who is playing well and who is not.

The Masters is now just about a month away...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. So, to begin the Masters discussion, I thought I would list my top ten favorties for this year as has been done for several years. Will make some adjustments as the next few weeks unfold. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Phil Mickelson- I have been very impressed with how well Phil has played since the calendar hit 2016. I think he's got one more major in him, and I think it very well could be this one. The pick could change in the weeks to come.

That's all well and good, but does he still have one more epic US Open choke in him, much more entertaining?

That's all well and good, but does he still have one more epic US Open choke in him, much more entertaining?

Probably, definitely.

Just checked the Day 2 scores at Doral. Phil is tearing it up so far. Hope he doesn't peak too soon..... (if there is such a thing).

Possibly. I like his chances at the PGA this year as it returns to Baltusrol, where he won in 2005.

Not big on Phil this time around.. Still think he has a major in him, and I think that window will be open for at least 3 more years.. But he's still going thru swing changes. He himself says he's getting there, just not sure he will be, or it's major ready, by tournament time.

My pick to win: Adam Scott... nobody was sure how'd he handle the big change, but early showings have him putting lights out. And of course, he's killing it from tee to green still.

Others in the immediate hunt: H. Matsuyama, S. Garcia J. Dufner

Not big on Phil this time around.. Still think he has a major in him, and I think that window will be open for at least 3 more years.. But he's still going thru swing changes. He himself says he's getting there, just not sure he will be, or it's major ready, by tournament time.

My pick to win: Adam Scott... nobody was sure how'd he handle the big change, but early showings have him putting lights out. And of course, he's killing it from tee to green still.

Others in the immediate hunt: H. Matsuyama, S. Garcia J. Dufner

You think Dufner can putt well enough? He looks like he's back to being himself tee to green, but I have my doubts about him ever putting well enough to contend at a Masters.

You think Dufner can putt well enough? He looks like he's back to being himself tee to green, but I have my doubts about him ever putting well enough to contend at a Masters.

His current #'s def dont' support it - but I think he's getting there. I also think he's going to have a great year - with a shot at Augusta.

I popped in just to make sure phil was in the top 10.

I'll comment in more detail this evening

So, basically everybody except the amateurs, 14 old guys and Jim Furyk (not playing) has a shot. Thanks for the insight.

So, basically everybody except the amateurs, 14 old guys and Jim Furyk (not playing) has a shot. Thanks for the insight.

I gave you a projected top ten. What do you think will happen?

Round by round scores, you lazy SOB!!!! :mad:

You should go back to your little pizzhole.

Round by round scores, you lazy SOB!!!! :mad:

Harder this year. I can't pencil in Crenshaw for 92-90.

• Like 1

Nippleson is in a NOSE DIVE! -6 and falling

Nippleson is in a NOSE DIVE! -6 and falling

Now -5. Still having a resurgent season, but the promise of the early afternoon has dimmed for now.

Now -5. Still having a resurgent season, but the promise of the early afternoon has dimmed for now.

very unlucky to plug in that bunker on his drive.

My favorite sports weekend of the year. In fact, I always take Thursday and Friday off work so I can watch the 1st two days. Good list you have made there and don't disagree. I like Spieth to repeat, but Phil has an excellent shot to win. I would say Scott, Bubba, and for some reason Dustin Joihnson to round out my top 5.

Always a great tournament to watch.

My favorite sports weekend of the year. In fact, I always take Thursday and Friday off work so I can watch the 1st two days. Good list you have made there and don't disagree. I like Spieth to repeat, but Phil has an excellent shot to win. I would say Scott, Bubba, and for some reason Dustin Joihnson to round out my top 5.

Always a great tournament to watch.

you should join our Masters draft, coming up in only a few weeks!

• Like 1

Good to see Scott win these last 2 weeks. He deserves a few more breaks in life :thumbsup:

Good to see Scott win these last 2 weeks. He deserves a few more breaks in life :thumbsup:

:D

Right?

Poor bastard.

You gave a top ten, but then categorized just about everyone as being able to win. Barring injury and drug addiction relapse, I think it's Dustin Johnson's year. I'll predict nothing more than that.

You gave a top ten, but then categorized just about everyone as being able to win. Barring injury and drug addiction relapse, I think it's Dustin Johnson's year. I'll predict nothing more than that.

He played great on the back 9 yesterday

He played great on the back 9 yesterday

He's working out the kinks in his game.

:D

Right?

Poor bastard.

LOL - golf humor most prolly don't get. :D

But seriously, the hell with wanting to trade lives with Brad Pitt, Leo or George Clooney - Adam might be #1 on my list.

LOL - golf humor most prolly don't get. :D

But seriously, the hell with wanting to trade lives with Brad Pitt, Leo or George Clooney - Adam might be #1 on my list.

I'd still take Leo over Adam, dummy went and got married like the rest of those tards

I'd still take Leo over Adam, dummy went and got married like the rest of those tards

Na, not me. Divorces are expensive, but legal - happen every day.. Adam can pull just as much quality ass as Leo - and Jack Dawson will never be able to hit a golf ball like Scott.

Na, not me. Divorces are expensive, but legal - happen every day.. Adam can pull just as much quality ass as Leo - and Jack Dawson will never be able to hit a golf ball like Scott.

HE'S MARRIED NOW and has kids :nono:

HE'S MARRIED NOW and has kids :nono:

Uh, I know - what part of getting a divorce is confusing? .. I'd get one of those, support and take care of my kids, get more/new ass - and compete in golf majors the world over for another 10 years. You can go make movies and attend awards shows. :thumbsup:

Yesterday's win puts Jason Day back into the top ten for me. Can't leave him out when he's playing well. Still sticking with most of the same stuff from a few weeks ago. I still think Mickelson has the best chance to win with Spieth, Scott, and Watson not too far behind.

Day is in the top 10 for this Green Jacket simply bcoz he's one of the best 5 players in the world - but I'm not to high on him this time around... He slopped it around tee to green all weekend, was bailed out by a hot putter and about 5 weekend chip ins..... Scott is still my pick to win, have him in the Sunday final group with Matsuyuma, followed closely by Rose and Rory - yes that Rory. I think he's had just about enuff of this J. Spieth stuff.

Day is in the top 10 for this Green Jacket simply bcoz he's one of the best 5 players in the world - but I'm not to high on him this time around...

Agree completely. Can't leave the #2 player in the world out when he gets a win three weekends prior to the Masters...but I don't see him as a contender on Sunday on the back nine for the same reasons you noted.

edit: nah i just cant leave Spieth off the list. So i'm making it a top 11

1. Scott

2. Mickelson

3. Day

4. Watson

5. Schwartzel

6. Fowler

7. Rose

8. Matsuyama

9. Casey

10. Reed

11. Spieth

something to note on Patrick Reed. Im not a big fan but I need to point out that Fumble has him listed under the category of highly ranked players off to a slow start. Reed has 5 top 10's in 9 events. Granted he was doing better earlier in the wraparound season but I'd hardly classify him as being off to a slow start in 2016. He does have 3 top 10's this calendar year with a 2nd place at the tournament of champions.

Stenson has 7 2nds in his last what 20 events they said? no 1sts

he's nearing 40.

its now or never

Stenson has 7 2nds in his last what 20 events they said? no 1sts

he's nearing 40.

its now or never

Idk, the way he hits it and as strong and fit as he is - I think his window is a least 5 more years.

Idk, the way he hits it and as strong and fit as he is - I think his window is a least 5 more years.

He hits that focking 3-wood 310 on a rope, it's incredible

He hits that focking 3-wood 310 on a rope, it's incredible

And, he doesn't even use a tee... He just turf jacks it a bit and bam - it's sailing.

edit: nah i just cant leave Spieth off the list. So i'm making it a top 11

1. Scott

2. Mickelson

3. Day

4. Watson

5. Schwartzel

6. Fowler

7. Rose

8. Matsuyama

9. Casey

10. Reed

11. Spieth

something to note on Patrick Reed. Im not a big fan but I need to point out that Fumble has him listed under the category of highly ranked players off to a slow start. Reed has 5 top 10's in 9 events. Granted he was doing better earlier in the wraparound season but I'd hardly classify him as being off to a slow start in 2016. He does have 3 top 10's this calendar year with a 2nd place at the tournament of champions.

Good call on Reed. When I made the original list, he was coming off a missed cut at the Honda Classic and I think that tainted my perspective a bit. Reed has only really gotten into contention once in a major in his career so far (Chambers Bay) and kind of fell apart after doing so. I think he'll contend again...just not putting much confidence into it being this time around.