Sign in to follow this  
whoisjgalt

Another vote we need (not roster size related)

See this one on the LOST bored. Last year, Tony Hollings was available "for free." There should be a cost associated with the pick-up of a NFL Sup draftee.

Idea 1) Don't have our rookie fraft until after the last date in which a NFL Sup draft could be held. (In 2003 the supp. draft was on July 10th)

Idea 2) Leave it as it was last season - potentially first come first served for Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett (I don't like this one).

Idea 3) Have our own Sup fraft. Bernie can use next year's first on a player or pass and keep it 'til next year. Then Orgazmo, then Danzone, ... down this year's fraft order by round until either both are gone or four rounds have been completed. if you've already traded away a 2005 pick, then the guy who got it can use it in that slot. If a conditional 2005 pick was involved in a trade and the conditions are not resolved, then both of you can (both would have to) agree to use the pick for a player. Or something like that - perhaps the cost ought to be higher.

Idea 4) Force them to remain free agents until next year's rookie fraft (I don't like this one).

Idea 5) Allow both players to be picked in our rookie fraft even if not available in the regular NFL draft. If neither plays in the NFL next season, then it's just a dead roster slot that you'd be stuck with (buyer beware). You can't put them on the IR - not hurt. Kinda like Ricky Watters.

...perhaps there are other ideas as well...

whoisjgalt:

Idea 3) Have our own Sup fraft. Bernie can use next year's first on a player or pass and keep it 'til next year. Then Orgazmo, then Danzone, ... down this year's fraft order by round until either both are gone or four rounds have been completed. if you've already traded away a 2005 pick, then the guy who got it can use it in that slot. If a conditional 2005 pick was involved in a trade and the conditions are not resolved, then both of you can (both would have to) agree to use the pick for a player. Or something like that - perhaps the cost ought to be higher.

Sweet

whoisjgalt:

schweet.

*can we name the rule after me? banana

I think Idea 3 can fock up things for you later on, I think #1 is the best option at this point.

My vote: #1

I think 5) makes the most logical sense. Why go through tortured processes to draft players? I have a philosophy that you should always be allowed to draft or pick up anyone you want, whenever you want. Why not? If he's 12 years old, and you're willing to keep him filling a space on your roster for 10 years, go for it! If you want to draft Maurice Clarett and sit on him for who knows how long, go right ahead.

The cost is always a roster spot. Speculating on non-active players in that fashion has a clear risk-benefit ratio that is part of what makes the game fun.

Idea 1 is the best idea. I know it may interfere with prep or even drafts for next season, but a mid-July 4-round draft isn't that bad.

torridjoe:

I think 5) makes the most logical sense. Why go through tortured processes to draft players? I have a philosophy that you should always be allowed to draft or pick up anyone you want, whenever you want. Why not? If he's 12 years old, and you're willing to keep him filling a space on your roster for 10 years, go for it! If you want to draft Maurice Clarett and sit on him for who knows how long, go right ahead.

The cost is always a roster spot. Speculating on non-active players in that fashion has a clear risk-benefit ratio that is part of what makes the game fun.

So you'd be open to drafting current college players then?

I thought about idea 5, but added a caviat. If they don't become the property of an NFL team during that year then they should be placed into the the following years rookie/FA draft.

thedanzone:

torridjoe:

I thought about idea 5, but added a caviat. If they don't become the property of an NFL team during that year then they should be placed into the the following years rookie/FA draft.

Or we could allow them to be the property of the team that frafts them (as long as they stay on that roster) but only allow players who apply for the NFL draft to be frafted. Right now, we effectively require a player to be drafted. Change that to "apply to be drafted."

thedanzone:

Idea 1 is the best idea. I know it may interfere with prep or even drafts for next season, but a mid-July 4-round draft isn't that bad.

I agree. But I also realize that we'll all get anxious to fraft when the time draws near.

thedanzone:

torridjoe:

I'm open to drafting current college players, high school players, basketball players and your mom. What's the diff? If you want to waste years' worth of roster spots on people who will do nothing to help you win in the current year, be my guest! I'll draft someone who might play.

torridjoe:

thedanzone:

torridjoe:

I'm open to drafting current college players, high school players, basketball players and your mom. What's the diff? If you want to waste years' worth of roster spots on people who will do nothing to help you win in the current year, be my guest! I'll draft someone who might play.
I'm drafting both my sons! headbang

thedanzone:

I'm drafting both my sons!

Hey, they're worth at least as much as Ricky Watters.

I like Idea 3.

Simply because it was done, with a slight modification in another one of my leagues.

Essentially, after the supplemental draft, every team in the league that wished submitted a request to the commish on what draft pick they would use to pick up a supplemental player. The highest bid for Tony Hollings was a 2nd rounder. The blind bid process makes things a bit more interesting.

Dan - I think we ought to pick two of the five and have a vote. The even-numbered ones are out, it seems.

Favorable comments counter:

Idea 1) rurb, jgalt, danz, ted

Idea 3) bernie, org, mongo, auk, v4e

Idea 5) tofro

Why don't we just have a waiver wire session a couple weeks before the start of the season, without penelty or loss of future picks. The order could be determined by total points scored as opposed to final win-loss record.

thedanzone:

Why don't we just have a waiver wire session a couple weeks before the start of the season, without penelty or loss of future picks. The order could be determined by total points scored as opposed to final win-loss record.

That would be fine for players who have already had a chance to be drafted. But a waiver pickup as the only cost for a player who hasn't been through a draft doesn't seem right. Bernie should at least have to give up something meaningful to get Mike Williams. Too late for Tony Hollings.

thedanzone:

What was the reason Tony Hollings missed the original draft last year?

Chimi drafted in May and Hollings didn't get grabbed by Houston as a Supplimental pick until June.

whoisjgalt:

thedanzone:

What was the reason Tony Hollings missed the original draft last year?

Chimi drafted in May and Hollings didn't get grabbed by Houston as a Supplimental pick until June.
What I mean is, why did Tony Hollings miss the NFL Draft? Was he not drafted? He was lost at sea and later rescued, but he missed the application to be drafted date?

thedanzone:

What I mean is, why did Tony Hollings miss the NFL Draft? Was he not drafted? He was lost at sea and later rescued, but he missed the application to be drafted date?

Hollings was going to play at GT, but he failed to qualify academically. Instead of sitting out the year just to play one more, he declared for the supplemental.

Vikings4ever:

I'll go with number 3.

Although number 5 would be pretty interesting, if we can draft anyone.

Why not, right? If Bill Veeck can hire a dwarf...!

I don't like the ability to draft anyone... it cheapens the rookie draft.

No NFL team is allowed to draft Cadillac Williams this year, so I don't think any of our teams should be able to either.

thedanzone:

1) Makes the most sense

3) Seems the most fun

5) Would we know who other supp-draftees beside Clarett and Williams are in time for the fraft?

bigmarc27:

I don't like the ability to draft anyone... it cheapens the rookie draft.

No NFL team is allowed to draft Cadillac Williams this year, so I don't think any of our teams should be able to either.

the difference is that drafting in the NFL doesn't cost a roster spot. There's not disincentive to lock kids up in diapers in that scenario. If the Cardinals had to save a space on the 48 man roster for him THIS YEAR, I bet a) the NFL would let them, and B) they wouldn't draft him.

whoisjaglt, you want to set-up the vote for this. I have a morning meeting. If you haven't I will after the meeting.

Dan

thedanzone:

whoisjaglt, you want to set-up the vote for this. I have a morning meeting. If you haven't I will after the meeting.

Dan

Sorry, us left coasters aren't usually the first ones awake in the morning (especially me).

Also, how about one more vote - the roster expansion idea (add one per year until we get to 30)?

Is there an actual decision in this thread? :o I dunno.

Anyway, if he's not allowed, its cool. No one here will even know who he is so I can just pick him up later in the summer when he hits waivers. :blink:

Is there an actual decision in this thread? :bandana: I dunno.

Anyway, if he's not allowed, its cool. No one here will even know who he is so I can just pick him up later in the summer when he hits waivers. :bandana:

:bandana:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) -- Former Clemson wide receiver Roscoe Crosby says he'll apply for the NFL's supplemental draft.

Crosby, a second-round pick for Kansas City in 2001, told the Herald-Journal of Spartanburg he thought about this option since February. That was when Major League Baseball ruled against him in an arbitration case with the Royals, costing him the last $750,000 of a $1.75 million signing bonus he got.

Injuries have played a big role in Crosby's stalled athletic career.

He bruised a knee in an early season game against Wofford in 2001 and later broke his nose in a victory celebration at Georgia Tech. Still, Crosby finished with a freshman record 27 catches for 465 yards and four touchdowns.

The next year Crosby needed Tommy John surgery to correct an elbow problem lingering from high school. He eventually withdrew from school.

After getting a medical waiver from the Atlantic Coast Conference, Crosby returned to Clemson to restart in football career in August 2003. A few weeks later, Crosby withdrew from school again, citing family reasons.

"It's been a difficult road for me, but I've always wanted to be a professional athlete," Crosby said. "I've been really happy with my progress, so that's what led to the decision" for the NFL.

Crosby says he'll hold a workout for NFL scouts closer to the supplemental draft this summer.

If Crosby, 22, is not picked, he can sign with any team as a free agent.

Is there an actual decision in this thread?  :bandana:  I dunno.

Anyway, if he's not allowed, its cool.  No one here will even know who he is so I can just pick him up later in the summer when he hits waivers.  :bandana:

:clap:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) -- Former Clemson wide receiver Roscoe Crosby says he'll apply for the NFL's supplemental draft.

Crosby, a second-round pick for Kansas City in 2001, told the Herald-Journal of Spartanburg he thought about this option since February. That was when Major League Baseball ruled against him in an arbitration case with the Royals, costing him the last $750,000 of a $1.75 million signing bonus he got.

Injuries have played a big role in Crosby's stalled athletic career.

He bruised a knee in an early season game against Wofford in 2001 and later broke his nose in a victory celebration at Georgia Tech. Still, Crosby finished with a freshman record 27 catches for 465 yards and four touchdowns.

The next year Crosby needed Tommy John surgery to correct an elbow problem lingering from high school. He eventually withdrew from school.

After getting a medical waiver from the Atlantic Coast Conference, Crosby returned to Clemson to restart in football career in August 2003. A few weeks later, Crosby withdrew from school again, citing family reasons.

"It's been a difficult road for me, but I've always wanted to be a professional athlete," Crosby said. "I've been really happy with my progress, so that's what led to the decision" for the NFL.

Crosby says he'll hold a workout for NFL scouts closer to the supplemental draft this summer.

If Crosby, 22, is not picked, he can sign with any team as a free agent.

:bandana:

O wins!

Seriously, this kid was ranked as the #1 overall player coming out of H.S. the year he came out. He only played half of his freshman year for us, but he was the most talented player I've seen at WR in all the ACC games I've watched in person over the past 6 years - that includes Rod Gardner, Anquan Boldin, Peter Warrick, Troy Williamson, etc...

Of course, that was 4 years ago.

-

The article mentions the injury, but the biggest thing is that the guy had a lot of bad things happen to him. His best friend got killed coming home from a Clemson game when he was hit by a drunk driver. Like 2 weeks after that, his little brother drowned. Tough times.

I'm pulling for him

ETA:

Tom Lemming Article from 4 years ago... who knew Kevin Jones' forehead was that big.

Even though this isn't shaping up to be a premium supplemental draft, there have been solid players over the years from supp drafts. We best git to coming up with a ruling, for the future if nothing else.

Didn't we actually have a vote?

It depends on the wording. Did we decide that since the courts had designated that Clarett & Williams were draftable, that they would be eligible for our draft? Maybe something like that? I guess I should try to find that thread to bump.