Sign in to follow this  
devildog

Why is every MNF country themed?

Modest Mouse is in the mainstream now, they've played SNL, they're on the radio, their video was blasted all over MTV2, no doubt about it.

Iron and Wine SUCKS.

BSS deserves respect.

Go listen to the Evens... better than all of 'em.

P.S. Never thought I'd see someone talking about Iron and Wine on this message board, so I guess you're not that bad. :lol:

Modest Mouse appeared on an episode of the OC...I think that qualifies them as gay. End of story.

fixed

I've never heard of Modest Mouse or seen the OC

Country music is by far the most popular radio format in the

us. Personnally, I turn up the halftime broadcast when Tim McGraw comes on. Plus go to a country concert to find the hottest chicks out there.

I agree that it's an image thing.

Country is a pretty safe image.

Also, as much as the more urban fan doesn't want to admit it. Football has a much bigger hold in the more "country" areas. Where it's not really even getting competition from the NBA or NHL and the MLB is finishing it's season as they start.

That being said I would also love an old school approach to half time. Recap the highlights of the first half, throw in some "around the NFL" action from the day before, maybe a touch of sportscenter if there are other sports stories worth noting. Theme it to a good old NFL films soundtrack and let it roll.

Worse to worse you use it to get people to want to see more of that which directs them to ESPN and ESPN News which are two other Disney/ABC channels.

The intro music has sucked since the days of Dandy Don, Frank and Ali's man. :headbanger:

My idea of country music is Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, and Hank Williams...not Faith Hill and Tim McGraw- thats just pop music with a twang

They need to have that clip of Cosell yelling, "Look at that little monkey run!"... and play it over and over again during the highlights.

I'd watch that... for sure.

Actually... they need to have a button in the booth that would trigger the clip too... so Al can hit it everytime there's a breakaway.

you whine like that and they'll just play michael bolton sh1t on you! actually, what they should do is just play bolton's "when a man loves a woman" and show randy moss and terrell owens td celebrations. be sure to get the one where moss pretends to poop on the frozen tundra. that would get people to watch!

I miss the old theme for MNF.  Why would they change it to this crap??  The halftime blows beyond belief.

This is the point. I'm not asking for "rap" or "hip-hop" or anything else. The original orchestral score for the MNF theme is an AWESOME piece of music - and what could be less controversial than orchestral music?

Remember the intro in the 70's and 80's where they showed the great plays and great hits while the MNF theme played? Then it would go into the violin crescendo while a long pass sailed through the air? What could possibly beat that or get you more in the mood for a great game?

Now we have dirty hicks and hillbilly music.

Modest Mouse appeared on an episode of the OC...I think that qualifies them as gay. End of story.

fixed

I've never heard of Modest Mouse or seen the OC

:pointstosky:

Gimmie rapid fire highlights of big plays and big hits and put it to Fear Factory's Zero Signal. I'd pop a friggin' chub. :doublethumbsup:

I miss the old theme for MNF.  Why would they change it to this crap??  The halftime blows beyond belief.

This is the point. I'm not asking for "rap" or "hip-hop" or anything else. The original orchestral score for the MNF theme is an AWESOME piece of music - and what could be less controversial than orchestral music?

Remember the intro in the 70's and 80's where they showed the great plays and great hits while the MNF theme played? Then it would go into the violin crescendo while a long pass sailed through the air? What could possibly beat that or get you more in the mood for a great game?

Now we have dirty hicks and hillbilly music.

Everyone on this board is missing a major point. I don't like country, but I'm ok if they play it at halftime if that is what their "core" demo wants to hear. But for God's sake,

DON'T PLAY THE SAME FOCKING SONG EVERY WEEK!!!!!!.

Change it up. Play a little rap when you go to Atlanta. Try a little Jazz when you play New Orleans. Cleveland, Rock.

You can even do it as a way to promote up and coming artists that people will know in 6 months. I'm sure you could get more viewers with that than rednecks who want to hear the SAME DAM SONG every week.

A lot of you people are talking about the NFL protecting their image by using country for Monday Night Football. But MNF is only one game of the week. Neither CBS, FOX, OR ESPN use country music for the Sunday games. So it's not the NFL that controls how these stations promote the NFL product. It's how the "individual stations" want to promote their OWN selves, with "APPROVAL" from the NFL.

FOX promotes a more hip version of the NFL. CBS is more conservative and plain. ESPN is straight up sports, maybe more directed to sports geeks. And MNF is country hillbilly Monster Trucks. So I guess there's something for everyone. I don't see any single "core" demographic being catered to here.

You all have only yourselves to blame.

When the neck is on at the beginning, I turn the channel.

When the neck is on at halftime, I turn the channel.

When that loser Skippy Dismal has his 60 seconds of suckage, I turn the channel.

When Stuart Scott and Cokey Irvin are acting the fool, I turn the channel to NFL network and watch a show where English is spoken.

Are you getting the picture here?

i think john madden should become a gangster rapper, and do a bit every week. could you picture him with a huge gold medallion and dew rag, and the whole wardrobe. His hit single would be "I Gave Brett Favre A BJ"

What? You would prefer some 'b!tch slappin' rapper?

Believe it or not, not everyone is a fan of hip/hop, rap, or whatever.

I prefer Janet Jackson's Boob shot :rolleyes:

I agree with the original poster. The show should mix it up a bit. The merits of country music isn't the point. The point is not wanting to listen to it every week. I like some country, but then again I could listen to Rob Zombie, Mozart and Abba in the same sitting. I have a wide range of music that I like. I'm sure that most of us are like that. The trouble is the network wants an image and they see us all as cardboard cut-outs, which is sad.

Hell, I'd love to see a half-time show with music composed by Nobuo. That would be something completely different.