Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Cedric Benson

When will little Ricky start having some value in both the real and fantasy world of football?

Holding out really seemed to drop him off of the charts.

the way i see it, is the bears are driving up thomas jones' trade value, and they will trade him in the offseason, and benson should be the man next year. but, forget about this year.

the way i see it, is the bears are driving up thomas jones' trade value, and they will trade him in the offseason, and benson should be the man next year. but, forget about this year.

They should trade Benson and keep Jones.

:thumbsup:

that all sounds good, but what are you going to get for a guy that has proven nothing? they could get a pretty decent draft pick or a position of weakness for jones. his value is very high right now. i think teams would rather trade for a guy like jones than invest $10+ million in an early first round running back in the draft. besides, they would have to take a huge cap hit if they traded benson. the bears invested 17 million in benson, they are going to go with him in the future.

It has been surprising that they haven't given the rock more to Benson. I know TJones is playing well right now, but they've got a ton of money in the rookie, and I am sure they'd like to know if he can play.

I would be shocked if they dealt Benson in the offseason. He's really not tradable with his contract, and also, while TJones is kicking azz right now, one of his many problems throughout his career has been staying healthy.

that all sounds good, but what are you going to get for a guy that has proven nothing? they could get a pretty decent draft pick or a position of weakness for jones. his value is very high right now. i think teams would rather trade for a guy like jones than invest $10+ million in an early first round running back in the draft. besides, they would have to take a huge cap hit if they traded benson. the bears invested 17 million in benson, they are going to go with him in the future.

According to reports, Benson is not hitting the hole fast enough and not great at picking up the blitz. Maybe he's a RB who needs 25-30 carries a game to get his flow going. I don't know but one thing I do know is that as long as Jones is healthy and playing the way he is, Benson will be riding the :clap: .

It has been surprising that they haven't given the rock more to Benson. I know TJones is playing well right now, but they've got a ton of money in the rookie, and I am sure they'd like to know if he can play.

I would be shocked if they dealt Benson in the offseason. He's really not tradable with his contract, and also, while TJones is kicking azz right now, one of his many problems throughout his career has been staying healthy.

They have given Benson carries and he has fumbled and gone in the wrong direction. They are quite aware he isn't ready. Anyone that has seen 2 or 3 Bears games right now has to think that if the Bears win the divison (as bad as it is) that Jones is an honest MVP cantidate. He looks like a man possessed out there. He is fast, tough, cuts at full speed, and runs through linebackers. He is playing with fire right now. My favorite play from last week's win over Baltimore was: 4th and 1 at the Ravens 40. A first down would ice the game. They run a dive to TJones and theres no hole, so he jumps, not dives, but hurdles the entire offensive and defensive line. That boy can fly.

As for Benson, I think he was extremely overhyped. He put up 300 yards on teams like Baylor and Texas Tech and when the big boys like Oklahoma came to town he turned into the invisible man. He was a standard college stat padder if I've ever seen one.

No way in the world they give Benson many carries this season. I only say that because a rookie running back is a hell of a blocking risk for a rookie quarterback. Give him the rock next year after more "seasoning" practice and in training camp next summer.

Thomas Jones has clearly earned every carry. Smith would be crazy in my mind to switch from his only bright spot on offense to a major unknown.

Knowing Jones' past, he'll probably miss at least one game, and we'll get to see Benson.

That was supposed to be 2 weeks ago...when he went for 80 yards and 2 TDs with his knee wrapped

Knowing Jones' past, he'll probably miss at least one game, and we'll get to see Benson.

That was supposed to be 2 weeks ago...when he went for 80 yards and 2 TDs with his knee wrapped

yes... you forget the pain in your knee when i fire has been lit up your arse! :thumbsup:

Maybe he's a RB who needs 25-30 carries a game to get his flow going.

Ahhhh.... 25 to 30 carries... mmmmmm.... ^_^

:wall:

:huh:

:blink:

:bench:

:pointstosky: I hate waking up when you're having a dream. :rolleyes:

According to reports, Benson is not hitting the hole fast enough and not great at picking up the blitz. Maybe he's a RB who needs 25-30 carries a game to get his flow going. I don't know but one thing I do know is that as long as Jones is healthy and playing the way he is, Benson will be riding the :thumbsup: .

As a Bears fan, I'd have to agree. Thomas Jones won't be losing his job anytime soon, if at all. Right now, Benson is no better than any other backup RB.

It has been surprising that they haven't given the rock more to Benson.  I know TJones is playing well right now, but they've got a ton of money in the rookie, and I am sure they'd like to know if he can play. 

I would be shocked if they dealt Benson in the offseason.  He's really  not tradable with his contract, and also, while TJones is kicking azz right now, one of his many problems throughout his career has been staying healthy.

They have given Benson carries and he has fumbled and gone in the wrong direction. They are quite aware he isn't ready. Anyone that has seen 2 or 3 Bears games right now has to think that if the Bears win the divison (as bad as it is) that Jones is an honest MVP cantidate. He looks like a man possessed out there. He is fast, tough, cuts at full speed, and runs through linebackers. He is playing with fire right now. My favorite play from last week's win over Baltimore was: 4th and 1 at the Ravens 40. A first down would ice the game. They run a dive to TJones and theres no hole, so he jumps, not dives, but hurdles the entire offensive and defensive line. That boy can fly.

As for Benson, I think he was extremely overhyped. He put up 300 yards on teams like Baylor and Texas Tech and when the big boys like Oklahoma came to town he turned into the invisible man. He was a standard college stat padder if I've ever seen one.

Why do people insist on slanting stories?

They have not given him chances. In 1 game, yes "1 game" against Detroit at home (week 2) he got 16 carries for 49 yards. Not fabulous, but in his 2nd pro game, first set of carries ever in the NFL (with no training camp), respectable.....

In his other games he has had 3, 0, 5, 3, and 2 carries, wow, what a helluva chance!

And yes "I have" watched every game this season. His fumble was not a fumble. He was clearly down (on his back). His coaches decided not to challenge the call. Why? Who knows. Clearly a mistake.....

Why they are not playing him, I don't know. Jones is hot, hot, hot right now, but late in games where they are clearly up or down, Benson is not getting a chance. He must really have pi$$ed some people off.

I'm not neccesarily in his corner as I "think" he's caused a lot of his own problems.

But if you think 13 carries in 6 games is a chance, I'm sorry you are wrong!

I have seen virtually every game Benson has played during his college career. IMO he is slow to the hole and indicisive at reading his blocks when there is room. He does however have quick feet when the defense closes in on him and he has the ability to slide off tacklers and the strength to bust through arm tackles and get tough yardage on full contact hits.

I hope he does well in the NFL, but I am not expecting it. Chicago could be a really good fit for him though.

Go Longhorns :(

As long as the Bears have a chance to win that division this season, which they should be in the running all season because 7-9 could end up taking that division I wouldn't expect to see Benson more than 3-6 carries a game. Jones has found new life and looks and feels great. Just a few weeks back I was saying Benson would be starting by week 8 and he won't start at all this season IMO now if Jones stays healthy and keeps pounding out 100 yd games. The bears whole offense is Thomas Jones right now! He certainly looks to be heading to his first probowl.

It has been surprising that they haven't given the rock more to Benson.  I know TJones is playing well right now, but they've got a ton of money in the rookie, and I am sure they'd like to know if he can play. 

I would be shocked if they dealt Benson in the offseason.  He's really  not tradable with his contract, and also, while TJones is kicking azz right now, one of his many problems throughout his career has been staying healthy.

Why do people insist on slanting stories?

They have not given him chances. In 1 game, yes "1 game" against Detroit at home (week 2) he got 16 carries for 49 yards. Not fabulous, but in his 2nd pro game, first set of carries ever in the NFL (with no training camp), respectable.....

In his other games he has had 3, 0, 5, 3, and 2 carries, wow, what a helluva chance!

And yes "I have" watched every game this season. His fumble was not a fumble. He was clearly down (on his back). His coaches decided not to challenge the call. Why? Who knows. Clearly a mistake.....

Why they are not playing him, I don't know. Jones is hot, hot, hot right now, but late in games where they are clearly up or down, Benson is not getting a chance. He must really have pi$$ed some people off.

I'm not neccesarily in his corner as I "think" he's caused a lot of his own problems.

But if you think 13 carries in 6 games is a chance, I'm sorry you are wrong!

The game against Detroit barely counts because anyone that saw the game knows Detroit gave up before halftime. That was just as sad of an effort by NFL team as you'll ever see.

Against Washington: 3 carries for 10 yards

Cleveland: 5 carries for 6 yards 1 fumble lost (I didn't see it and can't comment on how legit the fumble was)

Minnesota: 3 carries for 2 yards

Baltimore: 2 carries for 6 yards.

In the Cleveland game he was stuffed on 3rd and inches and 4th and inches. That was the telling part. He has just not been very effective. I'm not saying you can judge the rest of Benson's career off those 12 carries, but for a team in a division hunt with a hot RB, you can discern that he belongs on the bench right now.

He did hold out and miss all of training camp so he has not practiced with the first team and has not had much time to learn the offense or study NFL blitzing defenses. The Bears drafted him because of TJ's inability to stay healthy. Although they should have predicted it, the Bears front office didn't know he was going to be so difficult to sign. I am not sure if it was the Bears being cheap or Benson was being greedy but from what I heard on the radio it was a combonation of the 2. Benson is not familiar with the offense and needs some time to practice. Not many teams start a rookie QB along with a rookie RB.

Not sure why everyone has givin up on Benson. I am disappointed because I am a bears fan and again they are having difficulties with another 1st round pick. He has not had enough practice or playing time but unfortunatly, the way TJ and the rest of the division are playing, he will not see the field unless they fall out of the race, which is highly unlikely. It sucks that we have to wait until next year, but Benson will be a good back for the Bears.