Sign in to follow this  
MattG2103

Waiver Wire Gems - Week 8 edition

Sorry RonMexico, couldn't wait for you to get your act together....

I don't really have a clue at this point, but here are some suggestions:

QB: Jeff Garcia (the dude can still run), Chris Simms (on a short leash), Tim Rattay (as a deep sleeper), Brooks Bollinger (gag)

RB: Tony Fisher, Patrick Pass (if he's still available)

WR: Tyrone Calico (the only healthy option left in Tenn.), Az-Zahir Hakim, Doug Gabriel (again, if they're still available)

TE: Heath Miller (if he's not already taken)

Who else do you guys like?

Someone dropped Leftwich in my league. I'm thinking about dopping Frerotte for him. Plummer is my starter.

I liked Brandon Jones a lot last week not only because he was going to be the #1 WR in TEN, but also because Volek was starting and would look down the field more. Sure enough, Jones cashed in with a 30+ yard TD catch.

Since it looks like McNair is back this week, I'm not sold that Calico is going to be much of an option unless you're really desparate.

I am wondering whether Amani Toomer will finally put up some decent stats again with Burress getting a lot of attention and Eli Manning looking good.

I liked Brandon Jones a lot last week not only because he was going to be the #1 WR in TEN, but also because Volek was starting and would look down the field more. Sure enough, Jones cashed in with a 30+ yard TD catch.

Since it looks like McNair is back this week, I'm not sold that Calico is going to be much of an option unless you're really desparate.

Jones got hurt, keep any eye out. Other waiver fodder: Aaron Stecker (he may win the job outright over Smith when he gets healthy), Travis Henry (come on, Chris Brown injures his mangina every week, plus he sucks in general), Antonio Chatman (if he's available)

...deep waiver sleeper: Duce Staley (FWP, you're not facing that pathetic Cincy run D ever week, you hear that ticking sound...it's your 15 minutes of fame, times almost up),

I am wondering whether Amani Toomer will finally put up some decent stats again with Burress getting a lot of attention and Eli Manning looking good.

Shockey is demanding attention and Plex is getting double covered...that puts in Amani in the role he was made for, #2 WR...he's gonna get his. :sleep:

I'd add Antonio Chatman in Green Bay, who should be the #2 WR in Green Bay with Fergie's injury.

Kevan Barlow had a minor thigh injury, but I'd consider picking up Frank Gore if he's available and you've got the space.

Is Fred Taylor going to play in week 8?

I was thinking about picking up Taylors backup, Greg Jones.

Is that a good idea?

Is Fred Taylor going to play in week 8?

I was thinking about picking up Taylors backup, Greg Jones.

Is that a good idea?

Taylor is expected to play.

Guest Karim Abdul-Jabbar

QB: Jeff Garcia (the dude can still run), Chris Simms (on a short leash), Tim Rattay (as a deep sleeper), Brooks Bollinger (gag)

WR: Tyrone Calico (the only healthy option left in Tenn.), Az-Zahir Hakim, Doug Gabriel (again, if they're still available)

Calico??? Please............. where do u get ur info??? They still got Kinney and Troupe... they are the ONLY viable options for McNair/Volek at this point!

BAD INFO = CALICO!!!

Calico??? Please............. where do u get ur info??? They still got Kinney and Troupe... they are the ONLY viable options for McNair/Volek at this point!

BAD INFO = CALICO!!!

My info comes from noticing that Greg Jones and Drew Bennet are both injured and likely out for the upcoming game. I imagine the Titatns will attempt to throw the ball to a wide-out over the course of the game (hmmmm.... tough call). Who else is going to catch the ball near the sidelines? You think the tight ends are going to get all the passing yards?

Remember that Calico was a pre-season sleeper that flopped. He does have some talent, albeit it hasn't been witnessed so far.

Plus, we're talking about waiver-wire fodder here. It's not like I'm saying trade your no. 2 rb for him. Relax.

Coles and Hakim are the 2 best WRs on my league's WW, and I'm thinking about dropping Bryant for one of them - probably Coles. Then again, Pass is still available too. I'm set at RB though with LT, Tiki, Dunn and T. Jones, while I'm hurting a little at WR with Harrison, Galloway, Keyshawn and Bryant. Also going to finally drop Conwell for D. Clark (nothing else really as far as TE goes). Got Kinney as my starter, but need a decent backup just in case (we are forced to have 2 TEs on our rosters).

I think I have to start Fisher. Out of options.

Roydell Williams will be the man in Tennesse this weekend

Just a hunch.........go get QB Frye. One more bad week by Dilfer and he'll be :lol:

Ummm...is Frye a gem or just a waste of a roster spot?

BAD INFO = CALICO!!!

My info comes from noticing that Greg Jones and Drew Bennet are both injured and likely out for the upcoming game. I imagine the Titatns will attempt to throw the ball to a wide-out over the course of the game (hmmmm.... tough call). Who else is going to catch the ball near the sidelines? You think the tight ends are going to get all the passing yards?

Remember that Calico was a pre-season sleeper that flopped. He does have some talent, albeit it hasn't been witnessed so far.

Plus, we're talking about waiver-wire fodder here. It's not like I'm saying trade your no. 2 rb for him. Relax.

Yeah, good post on Calico. A lot of these posts contain players that were picked up off the WW last week, or even the week before, or guys that were never even on the WW in 10+ team leagues, so it is nice that someone at least put some thought into why a realistic WW player might be a good play this week. :thumbsup: I picked up Chris Simms myself and I am starting him. I have Bulger who is out, and Hasselbeck as my back-up who is on a bye. The only thing left on the WW was Dilfer and Gus. The 49er's atrocius pass D made the decision for me. I would be happy with 200 yards and a TD, but I think Simms will be allowed to test this crappy secondary and throw for a couple of scores, especially with Caddy still nursing an injury. I look for Pittman to play the majority of the snaps and he is better utilized in the passing game anyway, so I look for Gruden to attack early and often. I could be wrong, but Gruden has never been a shy one.

I like to take risks with my 4th or 5th WR and go after boom or bust guys with high upside. One that comes to mind is Charles Rogers. Lots of upside, lots of injured WRs, and new QB.

Guest Loose Circuits
rod gardner will get more looks in carolina and as the year goes on the steelers will go to staley more

if by more, you mean he may get to play in a game or two, you hit it on the nose

...Proehl and Foster seem to be the secondary targets in Carolina, I've heard Jake praise Ricky many times talking about he likes his route running, etc.... Probably the only reason he doesn't start is because he doesn't block as well, cause he's a little white dude.

BAD INFO = CALICO!!!

Calico caught 6 balls last week.

The most on the team.

If he stays healthy, he is a legitimate threat.

Marion Barber III - high ankle sprains tend to linger, and Julius has one right now.

Good call...I just added him in a league where MFaulk was my RB4. I figure it's more likely for JJones to go down again than SJax. :huh:

Julius Jones has missed a lot of games in his season and a half. Marion Barber was a very good back here with the Gophers last season splitting time with Maroney. Especially if you can stash him away in a big keeper or dynasty he is worth a spot even if you don't have Julius.

Someone dropped Leftwich in my league.  I'm thinking about dopping Frerotte for him.  Plummer is my starter.

Jacksonville has a cake schedule from here on out :thumbsup:

Oh, and Bobby Engram is due back after the bye this week