Sign in to follow this  
fightklub

Oficial JETS draft room

So now that we have (2) 1st RD picks, what do we do with them? I know that if Mario Williams is there at 4 he should be going to the JETS. Da Bick would be fine with me as well. I think we pick up a RB and a QB late day 1 or late in the draft. I hope we do not trade up to get R. Bush. I know he could be great but we have many holes to fill. Now we just need Winston Justice, Mathias Kiwanuka or Eric Winston to fall so we can get one of them at 29 or move up and get one of them as well.

Blair Thomas and Kyle Brady.

I spend some time over at TheGangGreen.com and am 1 of the only people who wants to trade up and get Bush. I really dont see that happening. There has been more talk about the Jets moving up to grab Leinart with the #2 pick. I'm really not sold on Leinart or any other QB in the draft so I'm hopefull the Jets won't to that. If M.Williams is there at 4( I don't think he will be if NO doesn't trade out) I'd like him and the best OL on thier board.

The trading of John Abraham has made the Jets selection of Mario Williams the logical choice.

I can see them making a move or two before the draft, but they stay status quo with picks that is who I would pencil in.

Thought this was interesting....

Leberfeld praises Tanngini If Mike Tannenbaum is looking for a second career, he might consider entering the “World Poker Challenge.”

He’s turned out to be quite a poker player, and he’s beaten some formidable opponents.

In the last week, the Jets' 37-year-old GM has gotten the best of Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, and now Falcons GM Rich McKay, who might be the NFL’s next commissioner.

Both thought they could take advantage of Tannenbaum’s inexperience in his new job by making him take deals below market value.

Tannenbaum called their bluffs in both cases, and came out the victor.

First, Tannenbaum refused to give up the reported third-round pick the Redskins wanted for backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey. By waiting the Redskins out, Tannenbaum was able to steal the former first-round pick for a sixth-round selection, giving the Jets insurance for Chad Pennington.

Then in a poker game involving even higher stakes, Tannenbaum insisted on getting a first-round pick from the Falcons for defensive end John Abraham. The Falcons were holding fast on offering just a second-round pick, and a player (probably running back T.J. Duckett).

But Tannenbaum wanted nothing less than a first-round pick. After all, we are talking about one of the NFL’s premier pass rushers, a man responsible for 53.5 sacks in his first six years. Players like Abraham are really hard to find.

But McKay believed the Falcons' first-round pick, 15th overall, was too much to give up. So Tannenbaum turned his attention to the Seahawks, who agreed to send the 31st selection of the first round to New York for Abraham.

While it was very clear that Abraham wanted no part of going to Seattle, Tannenbaum sent a message to the Falcons that he’d be willing to take a late first- round selection for the prized defensive end.

So, after several days of deliberating, on Tuesday McKay went out and got a late first-round pick from the Denver Broncos, 29th overall, and sent it to the Jets for Abraham.

Tannenbaum is now 2-0 in stare-downs. While it remains to be seen if he is a good talent-evaluator, with a somewhat limited football background, you can’t question his negotiating skills. They are topnotch.

So now, with Abraham gone, it’s essential that the Jets use one of their two first- round picks on a 3-4 outside linebacker with pass rushing and coverage skills. Ohio State’s Bobby Carpenter (the son of former Giants running back Rob Carpenter) would be a perfect choice at 29, if he’s still there.

The rumors that the Jets want to use the extra draft pick to possibly trade up to the No. 2 spot with the Saints -- to grab USC quarterback Matt Leinart -- are a little crazy.

With Pennington doing well in his rehab, and with Ramsey and plucky Brooks Bollinger on board, why would they want to throw Leinart in the mix? It would be the mother of all quarterback controversies, the last thing a rookie coach (Eric Mangini) and GM need to deal with in the New York market.

Plus, Leinart is basically a lefty Pennington in that he’s smart, a good leader and a great decision-maker, but lacks a rocket arm.

The Jets have so many needs, they should keep their two first-round picks and add two potential starters. How about picking left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson at four, and then grabbing Carpenter at 29?

Here is where we see what kind of talent-evaluator Tannenbaum is. Let’s see what he does with a truckload of draft picks. Don’t forget, that aside from two first- round picks, the Jets pick near the top of the second round, which is almost like having another first-round pick. And they also have some compensatory picks on the way, likely at the end of the third and fourth round, due to the free-agent losses last year of tackle Kareem McKenzie, LaMont Jordan and Jason Ferguson

I spend some time over at TheGangGreen.com and am 1 of the only people who wants to trade up and get Bush. I really dont see that happening. There has been more talk about the Jets moving up to grab Leinart with the #2 pick. I'm really not sold on Leinart or any other QB in the draft so I'm hopefull the Jets won't to that. If M.Williams is there at 4( I don't think he will be if NO doesn't trade out) I'd like him and the best OL on thier board.

Yeah I'm not sure if he will be there or not. I do not believe we should trade up because you have to look at the value of trading up 1 or 2 spots. Teams want ridiculous things to move up one or two sports these days and I believe there are at least 6 great talents in this draft. Just pick your poison and move on. I mean if the price is right, sure trade up, but it usually is not. The price will be astronomical to move up and get Bush... Lets stay away from that. As far as QBs go, I hope Chad is back, but Ramsey will do just fine. I think he is a good QB. I mean he did not get a fair shot in WAS. Spurrier got him killed and Gibbs did not like him from day one. I think Leinart is a franchise QB but I do not want another QB that cannot throw the ball down the field. If we really want a QB we need to sit tight and one will fall to us at #4. It could very well be Leinart (HOU will take Bush, NO will not be taking a QB, and Tenn is in love with Cutler or there will be a trade) I think we are in a great spot at #4. Let's keep it that way.

Yeah I'm not sure if he will be there or not. I do not believe we should trade up because you have to look at the value of trading up 1 or 2 spots. Teams want ridiculous things to move up one or two sports these days and I believe there are at least 6 great talents in this draft. Just pick your poison and move on. I mean if the price is right, sure trade up, but it usually is not. The price will be astronomical to move up and get Bush... Lets stay away from that. As far as QBs go, I hope Chad is back, but Ramsey will do just fine. I think he is a good QB. I mean he did not get a fair shot in WAS. Spurrier got him killed and Gibbs did not like him from day one. I think Leinart is a franchise QB but I do not want another QB that cannot throw the ball down the field. If we really want a QB we need to sit tight and one will fall to us at #4. It could very well be Leinart (HOU will take Bush, NO will not be taking a QB, and Tenn is in love with Cutler or there will be a trade) I think we are in a great spot at #4. Let's keep it that way.

Jets could trade down from the 4 to aquire more picks.

Also looks like the Jets may sign Runyan. Got this out of todays NY Daily News

JETTING IN: The Jets are making a strong push to sign free-agent RT Jon Runyan (Eagles), who dined last night with their coaches....The Jets agreed to terms with former Patriots PR/WR Tim Dwight. He will sign a four-year, $4.2 million contract, which includes a $750,000 signing bonus.

Originally published on March 22, 2006

I like Mario Williams at #4 and Carpenter at #29. Those guys could become instant starters for what suddenly became a porous defense last year. And, if given protection, I think Ramsey will be a good QB. He is still shell shocked from the Spurrier days of college level pass blocking. Give the man some protection and I think he'll be a good QB, not great, but good.

I like Mario Williams at #4 and Carpenter at #29. Those guys could become instant starters for what suddenly became a porous defense last year. And, if given protection, I think Ramsey will be a good QB. He is still shell shocked from the Spurrier days of college level pass blocking. Give the man some protection and I think he'll be a good QB, not great, but good.

Blair Thomas and Kyle Brady.

:doh: Yeah, just draft any one of the many overrated Penn State clowns :cry:

reggie bush will be great, not good, great. i know rb isnt our #1 concern right now but it will be in a year or 2. blaylock nor houston are the future, at least i doubt it. if the jets can trade the #4 and #29 for the #1 it would be awesome.

reggie bush will be great, not good, great. i know rb isnt our #1 concern right now but it will be in a year or 2. blaylock nor houston are the future, at least i doubt it. if the jets can trade the #4 and #29 for the #1 it would be awesome.

I agree, but I doubt the FO does. I really hope they don't take a qb. Alot of speculation that they move up to grab Leinart. No one knows what they will do. One thing is for sure...they have alot of different directions they can go

I agree, but I doubt the FO does. I really hope they don't take a qb. Alot of speculation that they move up to grab Leinart. No one knows what they will do. One thing is for sure...they have alot of different directions they can go

I believe the will stay put unless they can get Bush. They moved up in the past and it ended up being a bad decision.

what really sucks is that i get all excited about this draft stuff and completely forget that we are not going to be any good next year. lost our 2 best o-linemeng(including a probowl center), starting fullback, shut down corner and one of 2 players in the probowl last year and and not to mention the whole qb thing and on and on and on.... :blink:

i hate that last year was our year and everyone got friggin hurt! now we are going to have to waite a few years before we are a good team again, imo.

and yes if we cant trade up to get bush, i would like williams, furguson maybe huff or davis, no qb

i guess we will waite and see

J-E-T-S! you know the rest.

what really sucks is that i get all excited about this draft stuff and completely forget that we are not going to be any good next year. lost our 2 best o-linemeng(including a probowl center), starting fullback, shut down corner and one of 2 players in the probowl last year and and not to mention the whole qb thing and on and on and on.... :pointstosky:

i hate that last year was our year and everyone got friggin hurt! now we are going to have to waite a few years before we are a good team again, imo.

and yes if we cant trade up to get bush, i would like williams, furguson maybe huff or davis, no qb

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9331679

For better or worse, the Jets are now in the post-John Abraham era.

And for their next act, they will attempt to turn their fourth overall pick in next month's draft and the 29th pick they acquired for trading Abraham to Atlanta on Tuesday, into an impact player or two for new coach Eric Mangini.

Recent rumors have had the Jets intent on trading up with New Orleans at No. 2 and selecting Southern Cal quarterback Matt Leinart. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum admitted he's heard those whispers.

"I know there's a lot of speculation out there. I can't sit here and comment on any specific situation," Tannenbaum said Wednesday. "We'll see what opportunities are presented to us. I won't rule anything in or anything out."

Here are some of those opportunities the Jets will face when outgoing commissioner Paul Tagliabue presides over his final first round April 29.

TRADE UP: Gang Green followers are divided over whether trading up for Leinart is a good idea. Why give up the extra picks and extra millions when the Jets have so many other needs and could get their franchise QB next year?

But post-Abraham, the Jets have $8.33 million in additional salary cap space for a big-ticket item such as the Trojans' lefty. What would it take to make the trade?

According to a popular draft value chart, it might require more than those two first-rounders. The Jets might have to kick in a third- or fourth-round pick to balance the trade to the Saints' liking.

But let's say the Jets and Saints can't agree on a deal, or the Raiders offer a better package to move up from No. 7. The Jets still have a bounty of draft choices in the four-hole.

SIT TIGHT: The scuttlebutt has been that the Jets want their QB of the future now. If it's not Leinart, they also were clearly enamored of Jay Cutler at the Senior Bowl workouts and could take him if Tennessee at No. 3 doesn't go there first.

The Jets also are intrigued by Vince Young, who would be a two- year project but might be signed economically and used judiciously until he's ready to roll as an NFL signal-caller. Young, a lifelong Texan, also wants to be a Jet as his agent, Mason Adams, recently told The Record, "Hopefully our zip code will change to N.Y., N.Y."

NON-QB OPTIONS: Excellent players who don't line up behind center also abound. Offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson makes sense on many levels: he's the best blind-side protector in the draft, he would help the pieces of the Jets' line puzzle fall into place and he'd be returning to his Long Island roots, at least until the Jets uproot from Long Island to New Jersey.

But two defensive players for the defensively oriented Mangini will be attractive here, too. A.J. Hawk could be the versatile weak- side outside LB Mangini needs. DE Mario Williams could be the new Richard Seymour in the Jets' realignment to the 3-4 Mangini played with the Patriots.

29TH AND BEYOND: If the Jets hold onto this pick that Atlanta got from Denver and dished off to them for Abraham, they could have one very big-need player staring them in the face. Ohio State center Nick Mangold has the size and skills to help the Jets and their fans begin to forget that Kevin Mawae is now a Titan.

Others who may be available here: running backs such as Minnesota's Laurence Maroney and LSU's Joseph Addai, or linebackers such as Alabama's DeMeco Ryans, if he slips, and Mangold's Buckeyes teammate, Bobby Carpenter.

Because the Jets held the line on not sending any lower picks to the Falcons for their 15th overall pick, they still have their second- and third-round selections. Draft analysts believe there is strong value in these rounds, especially at wide receiver and tight end.

Additionally, Tannenbaum said the Jets "hopefully will receive more than one" compensatory pick for losing three starters (LaMont Jordan, Jason Ferguson and Kareem McKenzie) as unrestricted free agents last year. The NFL announces those picks, some coming as soon as the end of Round 3, next week in conjunction with the owners' meeting that begins Sunday in Orlando, Fla.

Running the option

Jets' choices with No. 4 pick in April's draft:

Trade up for Matt They love Matt Leinart, Southern Cal's heady, winning QB, and could get him in trade with Saints at No. 2.

A 'Cut' above Leinart not available? Jets also admire Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, who has the tools and attitude to play here.

Young and restless A bold move for a longer-term QB project would be choosing Texas' raw but dynamic Vince Young.

Fix that line Virginia's D'Brickashaw Ferguson is head and shoulders the best offensive tackle at the top of the draft.

Ball Hawk? The top linebacker available is Ohio State's A.J. Hawk, who has the size and versatility to play OLB in 4-3 or 3-4.

Super Mario North Carolina State's Mario Williams could be the post-John Abraham end in coach Eric Mangini's defense.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9331679

I have been a fan for many years. Many of these years were filled with pre-season excitment over how "talented: the Jets were and how we were going to make some noise in the regular season just to be disappointed, again. Mabe this year, that we have no real expectations will be different. Wishful thinking anyway probablly the same old Jets when it's all said and done.

what really sucks is that i get all excited about this draft stuff and completely forget that we are not going to be any good next year. lost our 2 best o-linemeng(including a probowl center), starting fullback, shut down corner and one of 2 players in the probowl last year and and not to mention the whole qb thing and on and on and on.... :pointstosky:

The rumor is the saints want 2 1st RD picks and a 3rd or a 4th to move up to. You would have to be stupid to accept this deal. That exactly is the reason I would not move up when you are aleady holding a top 4 or 5 pick... It's just not worth it.

Additionally, Tannenbaum said the Jets "hopefully will receive more than one" compensatory pick for losing three starters (LaMont Jordan, Jason Ferguson and Kareem McKenzie) as unrestricted free agents last year. The NFL announces those picks, some coming as soon as the end of Round 3, next week in conjunction with the owners' meeting that begins Sunday in Orlando, Fla.

The Jets also have the 4th rounder from KC for Herm, I haven't seen that mentioned.

I'm in the 'Let's stand pat and use the picks' camp. I think trading up for one player is a mistake, we have so many holes to fill.

To me, witht he 4th, 29th, and 36th picks (and hopefully signing Runyan) you can begin to restock this team with young talent and still have quite a few picks in rounds 3/4 to hopefully find some gems.

If they really want a QB, I agree that they should sit at 4 and wait for one to fall. Why trade away extra picks to go 2 spots when there are 3 very talented QBs to chose from and then you can still use the 29th and get another top talent too?

I'm excited to see what the new regime does, and i'm willing to give them time to see how it pans out. I think that the Jets will be more competative than most people would think this year, I'm not crazy, i'm not saying they will be a playoff team, but I think that with the right moves and draft selections they can make strides forward.

I think the Jets need a player to print on those tickets, Reggie Bush or Leinart serves that purpose, I think Bush gets the nod, Jets have Pennington and Ramsey now. We are talking about NY area, where Eli, Tiki, and Strahan resides. Jets need there own marquee player, and a RB is the right way to go IMO

Jets miss out on Runyan:

The Eagles re-signed offensive tackle Jon Runyan on Friday. He inked a three-year deal, the team's official web site reported.

I think the Jets need a player to print on those tickets, Reggie Bush or Leinart serves that purpose, I think Bush gets the nod, Jets have Pennington and Ramsey now. We are talking about NY area, where Eli, Tiki, and Strahan resides. Jets need there own marquee player, and a RB is the right way to go IMO

Great, let's run the Jets like the Knicks or Rangers. :cheers:

The Jets season ticket waiting list is 10+ years, they don't need any name, face, or dog and pony show to make $$. What they need is to win, and in my humble opinion keeping the picks and restocking the team with talent is the best path to that.

Does anyone think trading the #4 to Denver fot the #15, and #22 is possible?

At this point I think anything is possible, but do the Jets have that much cap room to pay 3 first rounders?

I wouldn't bet on that, but again, anything is possible. After losing out on Runyan, i'm thinking more and more that taking Dabrickshaw at 4 is the likely scenario.

At this point I think anything is possible, but do the Jets have that much cap room to pay 3 first rounders?

I wouldn't bet on that, but again, anything is possible. After losing out on Runyan, i'm thinking more and more that taking Dabrickshaw at 4 is the likely scenario.

Well, Abraham is gone and so is his cap number. Pennigton and Martin restructured. Law, Mawae, Fabini, Sowell, and Fiedler have been released. We should be able to sign our picks. Still, I say stay put for now, if some one wants to give us 2 1st round picks for #4 overall...let them.

There are so many ways to go at this point that it's anyone's guess as to what is going to happen.

I'd be happy with drafting DBrick or Williams. Both would be instant starters and imo, forces in their rookie years.

There's always the quarterback route, but I don't like trading up for Leinart. If anything, stay put and take Cutler. I think Ramsey is ok though. He won't be great, but I think he can get it done.

I'm also in favor of trading down for more picks. The only question is...is there enough salary cap room?

It seems AJ Hawk was forgotten about. I would still love him on the team. He would also be an instant impact on this team.

At this point, I think the best way to go is Williams to replace Abraham. It all starts with defense and we can pick up an olineman with the #29 and down. A good oline can be made up of middle rounders.

There are so many ways to go at this point that it's anyone's guess as to what is going to happen.

I'd be happy with drafting DBrick or Williams. Both would be instant starters and imo, forces in their rookie years.

There's always the quarterback route, but I don't like trading up for Leinart. If anything, stay put and take Cutler. I think Ramsey is ok though. He won't be great, but I think he can get it done.

I'm also in favor of trading down for more picks. The only question is...is there enough salary cap room?

It seems AJ Hawk was forgotten about. I would still love him on the team. He would also be an instant impact on this team.

At this point, I think the best way to go is Williams to replace Abraham. It all starts with defense and we can pick up an olineman with the #29 and down. A good oline can be made up of middle rounders.

I agree with just about everything you said. I also would really like M.Williams at #4. It's going to be crazy, I could see the Jets doing just about anything in the draft. Mangold would be nice late in the 1st, mabey get Bobby Hamilton early in the 2nd rd if he's there.

We may pick up a RB here or there as well... Houston is developing nicely so I would get one late (unless someone slides till the end of the 1st round)

NICE. We got a 3rd round compensatory pick... a 3rd rounder is nice...but what that really mean we lost a buch of quality players. :ninja:

Here is the list of all the picks

Round Overall selection Team

3 33-97 New York Jets

4 33-130 Denver

4 34-131 Pittsburgh

4 35-132 Baltimore

4 36-133 Pittsburgh

5 33-165 Green Bay

5 34-166 Baltimore

5 35-167 Pittsburgh

5 36-168 Philadelphia

5 37-169 Tennessee

6 33-202 Tampa Bay

6 34-203 Baltimore

6 35-204 Philadelphia

6 36-205 New England

6 37-206 New England

6 38-207 Indianapolis

6 39-208 Baltimore

7 33-241 Tampa Bay

7 34-242 St. Louis

7 35-243 St. Louis

7 36-244 Tampa Bay

7 37-245 Tennessee

7 38-246 Tennessee

7 39-247 Detroit

7 40-248 Buffalo

7 41-249 Seattle

7 42-250 Washington

7 43-251 Houston

7 44-252 New Orleans

7 45-253 Green Bay

7 46-254 San Francisco

7 47-255 Oakland

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9341500

7 picks in the first four rds is pretty nice.

With this new 3 rd pick... it seems like they will package some picks to move up in the draft. I still hope they would stay put and draft best available player.

From what I've heard, Ferguson might not be available at 4 seeing as the Saints would take him there assuming they sit at 2 or even if they trade down with the Jets and hope that both the Jets and Titans would take a QB, whomever that may be. The Jets could go a couple different ways: take a QB since Pennington may or may not come back from the shoulder injury, take Ferguson to upgrade the o-line and replace Fabini who was cut or take Mario Williams if he's available to compensate for the loss of Abraham. I know the Jets have Bryan Thomas but my question is how much do they like him?

From what I've heard, Ferguson might not be available at 4 seeing as the Saints would take him there assuming they sit at 2 or even if they trade down with the Jets and hope that both the Jets and Titans would take a QB, whomever that may be. The Jets could go a couple different ways: take a QB since Pennington may or may not come back from the shoulder injury, take Ferguson to upgrade the o-line and replace Fabini who was cut or take Mario Williams if he's available to compensate for the loss of Abraham. I know the Jets have Bryan Thomas but my question is how much do they like him?

I think Hawk is a possiblity as well. I don't think they will take a QB this year. I thought I read somewhere that Mangini wanted to be able to play Thomas at LB in 3-4 sets, and at DE in the 4-3. I still would like Williams if he is there at #4

I really liked C. Houston last year when Martin went down. He played very well considering we had no OL and non existing passing game. I think we should take a RB late unless someone falls into our lap.