Sign in to follow this  
jockdoc

Power Shift in the NFL

With all the players leaving the Patriots and Steelers, and Edge and Vandercrack leaving Indy, will the NFC be a stronger conference than the AFC this year?

With all the players leaving the Patriots and Steelers, and Edge and Vandercrack leaving Indy, will the NFC be a stronger conference than the AFC this year?

Maybe. :banana:

All the players leaving the Steelers? Hun? I think there were only 3 and they are hardly on the scale of an Edge James like you reference.

Randle El (overrated WR who had exactly one receiving TD last regular season and that came week 1, Cedrick Wilson showed more promise when he was given decent playing time, like in the playoffs)

Kimo (great veteran who was ready to be replaced by Brett Keisel who was resigned, I liked Kimo a lot but his time is just about up at age 35)

Hope (weakest link of the Steeler defense by far, he was above average but Ryan Clark from the Skins will fill be a fine, if not equal replacement).

Duce will fill in the short yardage duty from Bettis, this would be a downgrade unless Staley can remain healthy.

Steelers have been able to keep essentially the same exact team going in to next season and re-signed a lot of key depth and a couple starters....and FA and the draft is not over yet.

Now the rest of the AFC North has improved so that may knock them down a couple notches, but none of the FA loses Pitt has will really affect them much at all.

Oh, back to the subject. I think the NFC was so weak that they absolutely had to improve through free agency. But team chemistry is a big factor in the NFL and superstars usually underperform with their new teams.

the only teams worth a damn in the nfc were seattle, carolina and da bears. the rest of the conference was so weak it was pathetic. the afc is still a better conference.

The AFC has probably 8 of the top 10 QBs in the league in their conference......

Until that shifts a little more, I think the AFC remains the better of the two. JMO.

I don't think that it is even close.

AFC all the way.

Even the "bad" AFC teams are better than the "dominant" teams in the NFC. I honestly believe that the Chiefs or the Chargers could have made the superbowl if they would have been in the NFC last year, and this year while many of the top teams have lost some talent (mainly Indy) the weaker teams have gotten stronger. Miami could easily get 9 wins this year with the moves they've made. AFC top to bottom is far superior to the NFC

While some players have moved, its not significant enough to sway the balance. The quality of teams is still the same, the only team that possibly has gone down a notch is Indy and even that is open to debate. You still have the prime organizations and any lowering of quality was made up by other teams like Denver and KC.

While some players have moved, its not significant enough to sway the balance. The quality of teams is still the same, the only team that possibly has gone down a notch is Indy and even that is open to debate. You still have the prime organizations and any lowering of quality was made up by other teams like Denver and KC.

what has KC done to make themselves better? getting rid of their coaching staff and bringing in herm edwards? :blink:

and it could be easily argued that pats and steelers have gotten weaker as well.

Just a little stat. In head to head games last year the AFC won 34 out of 64 games vs the NFC. About a 53% win percentage, and only two games over .500, maybe the AFC isn't as dominant as the media claims it is... thoughts.

what has KC done to make themselves better? getting rid of their coaching staff and bringing in herm edwards? :banana:

and it could be easily argued that pats and steelers have gotten weaker as well.

To answer the KC question......1) theyve hired a coach who wont CRY to the team before and after every game and 2) theyve decided to make Larry Johnson a starter. 2 big reasons to like their chances this year. I loved Vermeil, but for God's sake after a while the crying just becomes ridiculous. And LJ?....9 starts and 1750yds and over 20 TDs???? KC would have gone to the Superbowl last year in the NFC....and couldnt make the playoffs in the AFC....and Rome wasnt built in an offseason....it took several hundred offseasons.

Guest Emoticon Only Poster
KC would have gone to the Superbowl last year in the NFC

:lol: :doh:

Its actually a legit question based on the off season so far.

The top tier is probably Indy, Pitt and Seattle

After that I would probably say Cincy.

Then there is a logjam with a bunch of teams including NE, Mia, Den, jax, Was, NYG, Dal, Chi and Car.

All of the NFC East teams except Philly have gotten better so far this off season. NE has lost some key players and have yet to replace them. Denver has lost pryce and a couple of others as well.

SD's loss of Brees drops them out of the playoff picture for now.

I would still give the edge to the AFC, but the gap has closen quite a bit.

Miami could easily get 9 wins this year with the moves they've made.

I hope so considering Miami won 9 games last year and they has supposedly improved. Way to go out on a limb there.

NFC may be stronger in a year or two, but I still think the Colts are the best team. It does go in cycles though.

5 or 6 players doesnt make a conference better.....AFC is still going to be dominant for years to come

-------------------------

Taz It

Carson Palmer, Michael VIck

Stephen Davis, Deshaun Foster, Corey Dillon

Joey Galloway, Nate Burleson, Laverneus Coles,Travis Taylor

Alge Crumpler

Shayne Grahm

Colts D