Sign in to follow this  
Ron Mexico

Chris Brown

Seems that a lot of folks are ranking Chris Brown outside of the top 30 RBs*. In both a pt/rec and regular leagues he was the 20th RB (1 pt per 10 yards, 6 pts per TD, -2 pt for fumble). He accumulated over 1000 total yards and 7 TDs, not bad for a back with ~220 carries.

Brown seems to be labeled as injury prone yet he only missed one game in 05.

TEN should be improved based on what they have done in FA and the fact that they were the third worst team in the NFL (based on draft status). Kevin Mawae should improve the OL and Givens seems like one of the better blocking WRs (don't really know but based on his style of play am guessing here). No where to go but up....

Yes, Travis Henry is still there but he did restructure his salary for 06 (not 100% what that means for # of carries) and is one incident away from a year long suspension. Seems to me that TEN is leaning towards Brown and could easily see RBBC turn into more un-even split in Brown's favor.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

* Rankings

Yahoo Big Board

Sportsline

He may have only missed 1 game, but he does have a history of missing more than his fair share of half games.

He got 20 carries only 5 times last year. That's not something you want from a starting RB.

He may have only missed 1 game, but he does have a history of missing more than his fair share of half games.

He got 20 carries only 5 times last year. That's not something you want from a starting RB.

No CHris Brown fan here but..

-the lack of carries may be a bit related to the sucktitude of the Titans...they were always getting drilled.

-Henry is no threat, he sucked donkey balls all year

-The real threat will come in the draft.

-Brownie has always had THE talent to be a McAllister type stud. unfortunately, he has acquired Duece's penchant for being a candybone

-all in all, he should certainly be in the top 30 fantasy RB's and based on skill, he is much higher than that.

True. But he did have more carries than any of these players that most probably have ranked ahead of him:

Curtis Martin

Corey Dillon

DeShaun Foster

Ronnie Brown

Fred Taylor

Kevin Jones

Tatum Bell

Brain Westbrook (still less total touches than Brown)

Before last season he was often injured but performed well when healthy. Last year he didn't even do that. YPC less than 4 and zero 100 yard games.

He's been a sleeper for the past 2 seasons. He has a total of what, 5 games over two full seasons where he has performed like a true starting running back?

If he is available late, way late, I would consider taking a flyer on him.

If the Titans shock the pundits and pick up D'brickshaw Ferguson, his value will increase exponentially. Anyone running behind a run blocker in the style of a Walter Jones will get get a little love from fantasy football world.

Travis Henry will see more carries than Brown. Brown's contract is up after this year (he is an RFA this year), and they will look to establish Henry as the featured back for when Brown is gone. Both have the ability to start, and both are injury-prone, so when it comes right down to it: The one who will start will be the one who has the hot hand and is free of injuries. I'd bet that Henry is that guy, and Brown will walk into another role after this season.

Travis Henry will see more carries than Brown. Brown's contract is up after this year (he is an RFA this year), and they will look to establish Henry as the featured back for when Brown is gone. Both have the ability to start, and both are injury-prone, so when it comes right down to it: The one who will start will be the one who has the hot hand and is free of injuries. I'd bet that Henry is that guy, and Brown will walk into another role after this season.

Don't forget that Brown is almost 2.5 years younger than Travis and no history of drug abuse so the Titans wanting to make Travis their back of the future doesn't jive with me.

I think it will be Brown with a little bit of Henry in the mix based on recent comments by Fisher. However, Fisher's comment lead me to believe that he favors Brown so the RBBC could become more of a 75/25 split if Brown can stay healthy.

“Going back and looking at the cut-ups, I was pleased with what Chris was able to do,” Fisher said. “I think we can help Chris much better with some changes. I think if Travis can really settle down and buckle down and get in real good shape, that’s a situation where will be satisfied with the two of them.”

LINK

I think the Titans know they made a mistake with Henry. He got very little action even when he wasn't suspended last year.

i think for now, they're both short-term fillers until they get the more "important" pieces...like QB + O-Line

and having both henry + brown in my dynasty league...its no fun

You are dreaming buddy.

TH sucks

Like the thinking, Ron.

Tremendous value if he performs as well as he should given the recent enhancements to the team. It is threads like this that allow guys to get an edge. Nice. Very nice.

I agree that Chris Brown will be the opening day starter. However, it will likely be a 75/25 RBBC with Brown getting the majority of the carries and Henry getting his fair share of carries as well. However, in the last few weeks of the season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Henry's carries went up since Brown IS a free agent after this season. That way, the Titans can decide whether or not to make Henry their full-time RB, re-sign Brown, or draft/sign another RB.

As far as the Titans's running game, I think that most of the problems were not with the RBs themselves (Brown, Henry, & Payton). Most of the problems were because the defense was bad and the interior O-Line was crappy as well. The good thing is that the defense looks much improved IMO with the signing of Thornton and Hope, as well as the re-signing of KVB, and the likely addition of several rookie defensive players.

The interior OL is still a little of a concern. They re-structured with Olson after a bad year, and thankfully, they didn't overpay for Hartwig. Plus, the signed future hall-of-famer (albeit old) C Kevin Mawae. Hopefully, they'll draft a couple of lineman to bolster the O-Line, as well as give Jacob Bell some more playing time (since he was probably the best Titans's O-Lineman last season).

Overall, I think with an improved defense and perhaps a better O-Line that Chris Brown can get around 1,000 yards rushing with a handful of TDs. My prediction for Brown this season: 950 yards rushing, 6 TDs.

He did a great job last year when given the opportunity. Never know what will happen with Henry there. He is a nice 3rd rb.

You are dreaming buddy.

TH sucks

This sucking you speak of, is it based on his stats, his ability to perform even with a weak supporting cast and/or serious injury, or simply due to his off-field antics. If it is the latter I can understand where you are coming from, but saying Henry "sucks" without a valid argument seems meaningless. I've been around this board a while, only posting here and there, but bigtuna I thought you were a Bills fan... maybe I am dreaming, I just think he is a better back than Brown.

He is a huge risk. He is best as a #3 because he cant be counted on. When he plays he is a legit #2. So if your into your draft and you need a #2 RB and its in the middle rounds he would be a solid pick. I would try to avoid getting into that but it happens. Let another team grab him in the 3rd..Someone will..

This sucking you speak of, is it based on his stats, his ability to perform even with a weak supporting cast and/or serious injury, or simply due to his off-field antics. If it is the latter I can understand where you are coming from, but saying Henry "sucks" without a valid argument seems meaningless. I've been around this board a while, only posting here and there, but bigtuna I thought you were a Bills fan... maybe I am dreaming, I just think he is a better back than Brown.

First off I hate the Bills.

secondly, Henry hasn't done anything since 2003...and he did not look good in '05. At least one could say Brown looks good on occassion...when he flashes his speed. He is a good reciever....Henry you can't say anything good about: he is slow, not that big, not a great reciever, fumbles a lot, and has no nose for the endzone.

He just took a massive paycut.

not a huge fan of brown. i don't have him in the top 20 for rbs. he's not consistent enough and plus he is very fragile.

reminds me of Deshaun Foster a little bit. Good when he is healthy and gets all the carries, but how often is that. I think that Foster should at least be the main guy this year but durability is still a ? for both these guys. I'll stay away unless I can get really good value where they may fall to me

reminds me of Deshaun Foster a little bit. Good when he is healthy and gets all the carries, but how often is that. I think that Foster should at least be the main guy this year but durability is still a ? for both these guys. I'll stay away unless I can get really good value where they may fall to me

bingo.

First off I hate the Bills.

secondly, Henry hasn't done anything since 2003...and he did not look good in '05. At least one could say Brown looks good on occassion...when he flashes his speed. He is a good reciever....Henry you can't say anything good about: he is slow, not that big, not a great reciever, fumbles a lot, and has no nose for the endzone.

He just took a massive paycut.

My mistake on you not being a Bills fan. Having said that, you musn't have watched Henry very often when he was on the Bills, otherwise you would know that he cut his fumbles down to virtually none after his second year, he is a good reciever (and you cannot use stats as a basis for this argument, because he wasn't utilized as a reciever), and he had the best nose for the endzone of almost any back in the league in 2003. Inside the 10 yard line he was virtually unstoppable. His size prevented him from being a good goal-line back, but from 10-15 yards out he was great. He is not that big, but he is powerful as hell (benches over 450), and when asked to describe who he thought was the toughest runner to tackle in the league, Zach Thomas said, without hesitation, that it was Travis Henry. Perhaps the reason he didn't look good in 2005 was because he didnt play. Having 5 or less carries a game, and not playing in something like 6 games, does not not result in solid play for any back in the NFL. I don't care if you don't like him, but the guy is a good RB, and has proven it.

as a bills fan, all i know is, i'm a lot more excited about having an extra 3rd rounder this year than travis henry

If he falls that low, people are nuts. Even if he does only play 10 or 12 games a season, he is still worthy of a top 20 pick. When you get that high up, its not like guys are setting the world on fire with their play and if you are looking for a primary back, you've pretty much screwed your draft by then. He is not a primary fantasy back, but a good 2nd or 3rd back regardless of how often he gets nicked up. Part of the problem with him is the teams method of injury reporting, just like denver, they reveal nothing so you are often waiting to hear on game day and THAT frustrates people more than anything else.