Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Bands that have successful "comebacks", IYO...

Maybe not a "comeback" in the true sense of the word, but AC/DC after Bon Scott's death, def. exceeded anyones expectations. I think they were pretty much written off, but instead they "cameback" with the classic Back In Black which is THE rock and roll party/drinking album still after all these years even after be played millions of times.

Spinoff off of yesterdays Aerosmith Jump the Shark thread. While not as "classic" as their earlier work and nowhere near cheesy as their later stuff (last 10-12 years approx), Done With Mirriors was a solid album IMO...although it didn't generate a lot of buzz. Let The Music Do The Talking and My Fist Your Face were the last gasps before their "commercial comeback" started, i.e. Run DMC, Dude, Angel, Elevator, Gun :cheers:

Got a few others that come to mind, but I'll see if they get mentioned first ....

The best song on Back in Black is "Shake a Leg"

:cheers:

"Hells Bells" – 5:11

"Shoot to Thrill" – 5:17

"What Do You Do for Money Honey" – 3:35

"Givin' the Dog a Bone" – 3:31

"Let Me Put My Love into You" – 4:15

"Back in Black" – 4:15

"You Shook Me All Night Long" – 3:29

"Have a Drink on Me" – 3:58

"Shake a Leg" – 4:05

"Rock 'n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" – 4:16

Not a bad song in the lot. :wub:

The follow up wasn't bad either:

"For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" - 5:44

"I Put the Finger on You" - 3:25

"Let's Get It Up" - 3:54

"Inject the Venom" - 3:30

"Snowballed" - 3:23

"Evil Walks" - 4:23

"C.O.D." - 3:19

"Breaking the Rules" - 4:23

"Night of the Long Knives" - 3:25

"Spellbound" - 4:39

Steven Tyler of Aerosmith inducted AC/DC into the hall of fame.

How about The Bee Gees with Sat. Night Fever?

By 1973, The Bee Gees were in a rut.....The Bee Gees agreed to participate in the creation of the soundtrack for "Saturday Night Fever.". The album broke multiple records for soundtrack sales, and three Bee Gees singles ("Stayin' Alive", "How Deep Is Your Love", and "Night Fever") reached #1, launching the most popular period of the disco era.....This album has since sold over 30 million copies worldwide, making it the best selling soundtrack album of all time. In the U.S., the soundtrack to the movie "The Bodyguard" has passed "Saturday Night Fever" in sales, but worldwide, "Saturday Night Fever" remains #1. The Bee Gees became bigger than ever before, even outselling The Beatles.

Bon Jovi currently.

I never would have pegged them as the '80s band to reinvent themselves as relevant, but... And whatever Jon did to make himself look better at 43 than he did at 22: I need me some of that elixir.

Bon Jovi currently.

Bon Jovi has some loyal ass fans. Those girls that loved him when they were 17 still love him now at 35.

For all the old-timers out there....

In the late sixties, Cat Stevens was very popular in England, but not so much in the States. His songs were more pop-based and he was contemplating getting out of the music business.

In 1969, Stevens contracted a case of Leukemia. He was hospitalized for several months. During that time, he was alone in a hospitol room with nothing but an acoustic guitar.

He started writing more folk-based music. What followed was three of the best singer-songwriter albums of the seventies: Mona Bone Jakon, Tea For The Tillerman, and Teaser and the Firecat.

Stevens used his recovery time to change his style and become one of the top singer-songwriters of his era.

Ozzy fell away from fame after going solo to some extent, then did The Osbournes and released No More Tears to lauch him into super stardom.

Bon Jovi currently.

I never would have pegged them as the '80s band to reinvent themselves as relevant, but... And whatever Jon did to make himself look better at 43 than he did at 22: I need me some of that elixir.

I liked their 80's stuff way better than their new stuff, but I still enjoy their concerts and the 40 year old hags dressed like 80's sluts.

I guess you could say Velvet Revolver is resurrecting the careers of Slash, Duff & Scott

Fall To Pieces is a f'n great tune

Ozzy fell away from fame after going solo to some extent, then did The Osbournes and released No More Tears to lauch him into super stardom.

IMO, Ozzy's whole career has been a number of comebacks, but the first and best one was when he went solo (although this was forced) Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman with Randy Rhodes made Ozzy focking huge....yeah he got the mainstream with The Osbournes, but that was more like a "career change" rather than a comeback, musically.

IMO, Ozzy's whole career has been a number of comebacks, but the first and best one was when he went solo (although this was forced) Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman with Randy Rhodes made Ozzy focking huge....yeah he got the mainstream with The Osbournes, but that was more like a "career change" rather than a comeback, musically.

Randy Rhodes. What a tragedy. :thumbsup:

Genesis did pretty well making the transition from Peter Gabriel to Phil Collins. More mainstream, yes, but cannot argue with the success.

Not bad when a singer of Gabriel's caliber exits, and some kid behind the drum kit takes his place rather admirably. :lol:

Genesis did pretty well making the transition from Peter Gabriel to Phil Collins. More mainstream, yes, but cannot argue with the success.

Not bad when a singer of Gabriel's caliber exits, and some kid behind the drum kit takes his place rather admirably. :lol:

Good one. :lol:

Two bands that couldn't recover - past and present:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - the brother Johnny just can't fill Ronnie's shoos. :D :cry:

INXS - that new kid is terrible. "It ain't pretty..." Literally. :lol: :blink:

I can only hope he trys spanking it hanging from the ceiling fan. :lol:

I thik the Eagles had a pretty big comeback after a long hiatus, right?

Their tour was a huge success, right? But I can't name a new song by them, although they are not up my alley as far as music goes, so I could be wrong?

Two bands that couldn't recover - past and present:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - the brother Johnny just can't fill Ronnie's shoos. :lol: :lol:

INXS - that new kid is terrible. "It ain't pretty..." Literally. :huh: :lol:

I can only hope he trys spanking it hanging from the ceiling fan. :lol:

I disagree. I thought he came across a a doosh on the Rock Star show, but I bought the CD and I think he sounds great. In some songs, he sounds a lot like Michael Hutchence.

Maybe not a "comeback" in the true sense of the word, but AC/DC after Bon Scott's death, def. exceeded anyones expectations. I think they were pretty much written off, but instead they "cameback" with the classic Back In Black which is THE rock and roll party/drinking album still after all these years even after be played millions of times.

Spinoff off of yesterdays Aerosmith Jump the Shark thread. While not as "classic" as their earlier work and nowhere near cheesy as their later stuff (last 10-12 years approx), Done With Mirriors was a solid album IMO...although it didn't generate a lot of buzz. Let The Music Do The Talking and My Fist Your Face were the last gasps before their "commercial comeback" started, i.e. Run DMC, Dude, Angel, Elevator, Gun :huh:

Got a few others that come to mind, but I'll see if they get mentioned first ....

I would call that a comeback from adversity, but not necessarily a "comeback" in the sense that the band struggled for years and then suddenly came back with a kick-ass album.

Hell, isn't Duran Duran doing well these days?

What about Sinead O'Connor's return as a reggae artist? :banana:

"Nuttin Kompares to yu Mon!" :P

Ganja = :clap: :rolleyes:

I would call that a comeback from adversity, but not necessarily a "comeback" in the sense that the band struggled for years and then suddenly came back with a kick-ass album.

Hell, isn't Duran Duran doing well these days?

Yeah, I kinda though that about half way through what I wrote. :banana:

Beastie Boys....I like Paul's Boutique from the start, A LOT, but it seems like a lot of people were expecting Licensed to Ill part II, which it def. was not. Then they "cameback" with Check Your Head and Ill Communication. :rolleyes:

Check Your Head was released in 1992 and went double platinum in the U.S., reaching a peak of #10 on the Billboard 200. The first single, "So What'cha Want," reached #43 on the Billboard 100 and made both the urban and modern rock charts while "Pass the Mic" became a hit in dance clubs.

Ill Communication, released in 1994, saw the Beastie Boys' return to the top of the charts when the album peaked at #2 on the R&B/ hip hop album chart. The single, "Sabotage," became a hit on the modern rock charts and the music video—directed by Spike Jonze—received extensive play on MTV. "Get It Together" reached Top 10 of the Billboard dance charts and also became an urban hit while "Sure Shot" was a dance hit. Some Old Bullshit, featuring the band's early independent material, made #50 on the Billboard independent charts.

Ok, we could go to a tad heavier genre - ANTHRAX :rolleyes:

Neil Turbin exits, and the band explodes with (terrible singer, couldn't hold Turbin's jock IMHO) Joey Belladonna.

Howevah, they took off.

Howevah, they took off.

They did?

Yeah, I kinda though that about half way through what I wrote. :banana:

Beastie Boys....I like Paul's Boutique from the start, A LOT, but it seems like a lot of people were expecting Licensed to Ill part II, which it def. was not. Then they "cameback" with Check Your Head and Ill Communication. :rolleyes:

Check Your Head was released in 1992 and went double platinum in the U.S., reaching a peak of #10 on the Billboard 200. The first single, "So What'cha Want," reached #43 on the Billboard 100 and made both the urban and modern rock charts while "Pass the Mic" became a hit in dance clubs.

Ill Communication, released in 1994, saw the Beastie Boys' return to the top of the charts when the album peaked at #2 on the R&B/ hip hop album chart. The single, "Sabotage," became a hit on the modern rock charts and the music video—directed by Spike Jonze—received extensive play on MTV. "Get It Together" reached Top 10 of the Billboard dance charts and also became an urban hit while "Sure Shot" was a dance hit. Some Old Bullshit, featuring the band's early independent material, made #50 on the Billboard independent charts.

Check Your Head was not remotely similar to Licensed to Ill. HTH

They did?

Check Your Head was not remotely similar to Licensed to Ill. HTH

Did I say they were similar? :rolleyes:

Sure, in a bad speed 80's metal kinda way. Of course, they were no Krokus. :thumbsup:

You know you have a dusty copy of Fist Full of Metal in far reaches of the garage. :lol:

Sure, in a bad speed 80's metal kinda way. Of course, they were no Krokus. :thumbsup:

You know you have a dusty copy of Fist Full of Metal in far reaches of the garage. :lol:

I have to agree, for a brief period of time in the underground "thrash: metal scene Slayer, Anthrax, and Metallica were basically leading the way in the new music movement. Not sure if it was really a comeback since Fist Full of Metal didn't take the world by storm, but they def. increased their porpularity and sales a ton when they canned the old singer and brought in Joey B.

I have to agree, for a brief period of time in the underground "thrash: metal scene Slayer, Anthrax, and Metallica were basically leading the way in the new music movement. Not sure if it was really a comeback since Fist Full of Metal didn't take the world by storm, but they def. increased their porpularity and sales a ton when they canned the old singer and brought in Joey B.

I am sorry. I misread your original post. :thumbsup:

Two modern-relevant metal bands in Fear Factory and Machine Head were both about dead in the water with their releases of Digimortal and Supercharger, respectively. A breakup of FF and a hiatus of MH later, both returned with excellent albums.

The "comeback" was only a couple of years, but it was still an impressive turnaround for their fans. They were some of the few bands that say they're going to "return to their roots", and are actually successful in doing such.

Two modern-relevant metal bands in Fear Factory and Machine Head were both about dead in the water with their releases of Digimortal and Supercharger, respectively. A breakup of FF and a hiatus of MH later, both returned with excellent albums.

The "comeback" was only a couple of years, but it was still an impressive turnaround for their fans. They were some of the few bands that say they're going to "return to their roots", and are actually successful in doing such.

MACHINE HEAD frontman Robert Flynn has revealed to Kerrang! magazine (web site) that death is a common theme on a number of the new songs that the band are currently working on.

"We've got about five songs right now that I'm stoked with," says Flynn. "There are songs about suicide and death. I read a letter by this soldier who was over in Iraq, who had written to his mother after he got shot in a battle. He came to the conclusion that he was dying and ended up giving the letter to his buddy to pass on.

"It went 'as I die here understand that my blood is on his hands,' and I turned that into lyrics," he adds. "It was one of the most poignant things I'd ever read. Our goal is to write the 'Master of Puppets' for this generation."

The follow-up to 2003's "Through the Ashes of Empires" is expected out in 2007 on Roadrunner Records.

Carlos Santana did a pretty good job of re-inventing himself with the Supernatural album. Even though I think it kind of sucks.

Sounds like the war is providing a lot of writing material for metal bands these days...as you'd expect. I read a clip from the Unearth singer that said Unearth's new CD is going to cover a lot of topics related to the war as well. I know Lamb of God is politically charged as well.

Less mainstream for sure, but another is Suicidal Tendencies. Thier first album was huge with the punk crowd, but their followup (4 years later) was not received well by the punk crowd or anyone else for that matter (cept me :blink: ) After that though, they moved in a very metal direction and had pretty solid metal success with How Will I Laugh Tomorrow If I Can't Even Smile Today? (1988);

Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Sh1t...Déjà Vu (1989); and Lights...Camera...Revolution! (certified gold)

Didn't Pink Floyd's original frontman go insane and was replaced by Roger Waters? :huh:

Interesting.. Ah, Syd Barrett. He did have some issues, erratic and manic behavior and was replaced. Waters was there - Gilmour replaced Barrett. Actually did some solo stuff, pretty neat. The Barrett Floyd stuff was really bizarre, with humor and wit. Floyd post Barrett was more universally accepted.

The Wall was actually about Syd I believe. In a round about kinda way.

Neat stuff. Acid anyone? :ninja: :banana:

Johnny Cash ? :thumbsup:

Another intersting topic...posthumous "comebacks" or "blowups".

IMO, Nirvana is severely overrated, but gained far more publicity and sales because of the Kurt Cobain story. Smashing Pumpkins, Soundsgarden, and AIC were all far better bands.

:thumbsup: Smashing Pumpkins

Isn't Billy C trying a comeback with them?