Sign in to follow this  
wild_and_crazy_guy

Why not Willie Parker?

In looking at most RB pre-rankings for 2006, why isn't Willie Parker considered by most to be a top 12 RB? If he takes over as the #1 RB in Pittsburgh, especially with Bettis not taking the goal line carries, I would think he would be a great pick. Pittsburgh has all of the supporting cast to make any RB strong (defense, OL, good QB) Why is he not considered a top RB? Are they looking at RBBC??

In looking at most RB pre-rankings for 2006, why isn't Willie Parker considered by most to be a top 12 RB? If he takes over as the #1 RB in Pittsburgh, especially with Bettis not taking the goal line carries, I would think he would be a great pick. Why is he not considered a top RB?

His size I would guess. Also with the departure of Bettis I imagine they are looking at RB's in the draft.

He is a small back and they will use Duce if he ever gets healthy. I think they will try to get a rb in the draft. Maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.

He is a small back and they will use Duce if he ever gets healthy. I think they will try to get a rb in the draft. Maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.

He held up for 1200 yards last year and only missed one and half game with ankle injury.

However, do not expect Parker to get all the TDs, those will be Duce's if he is healthy.

Durability is not an issue, he handled that very well with very little missed time, the issue is he still will only score TDs beyond 10 yards.

He doesn't get many tds, but when he does they are usually long. That is good for length of td leagues.

The main problem I see with Parker is the lack of TDs. And yes Bettis is gone, but I still see Cowher using a GL back whether it's Staley, Hayes, or someone they draft...

The main problem I see with Parker is the lack of TDs. And yes Bettis is gone, but I still see Cowher using a GL back whether it's Staley, Hayes, or someone they draft...

You got that right. Willie is incapabable of moving a pile at all. I think Steelers bring in a RB thru the draft, to replace Staley next season. But this season Staley gets short yardage until he gets hurt :lol:

:lol:

I'm willing to take him in the 4th of a 12 team redraft. I had him the entire season last year and he rode the <_< literally every game. I wanted to plug him in, but Bettis 3 yards/3td's :wall: . It's like watching Warrick Dunn - fun and yes some great td's ...but not enough

If they do go after a RB who do you think it would be ?

From the posts coming from the Pittsburgh camp, best explanation is he is a Robert Smith type RB.

Great in yardage only leagues or where you get a pt per 10 yds.

But if tds are scored at all, unless where bonus for length is factored, his value drops.

Does this help?

Meaning in many leagues, he would be drafted as a number 2 rb.

Verron HayNes resigned. and Staley restructured, both in early March. Staley is happy being the backup RB and collecting a paycheck. Bettis is not replaceable, and the goaline carries were reflective of that being his talent. The Steelers never had a goaline back before Bettis and I suspect it will be years until they have another goaline back.

HayNes is the best pass blocking RB and comes in on passing plays almost exclusively. He is not a better goaline back than FWParker. Neither is Staley. FWParker is not great, but his skills give the offense more options. And that O-line will help get the job done. Big Ben will likely get a few more rushing TDs this year.

I doubt that any RB drafted by the Steelers will see playing time. Parker will start the season as the #1 RB for a very good offense. I don't think he'll be there in the fourth round, nor do I think he should be.

Look.. Parker proved himself last year. Sure he got nicked up a bit and his production went down a bit last year towards the end of the season, but what he did was show off his talents and his heart. Cower is sold on him... Duce coming back won't mean much, Willie will be the guy and Duce will spell him. Question is still those valuable GL carries though. Will Duce take on Jeromes roll there?? I think they change up a bit to start the season and see if he can handle the full load, otherwise the fall back to their between the 20's use of him.

Question still remains though, if they will draft a RB or pick one up. I for one am surprised they haven't gone after Jonathan Wells.....

Verron HayNes resigned. and Staley restructured, both in early March. Staley is happy being the backup RB and collecting a paycheck. Bettis is not replaceable, and the goaline carries were reflective of that being his talent. The Steelers never had a goaline back before Bettis and I suspect it will be years until they have another goaline back.

HayNes is the best pass blocking RB and comes in on passing plays almost exclusively. He is not a better goaline back than FWParker. Neither is Staley. FWParker is not great, but his skills give the offense more options. And that O-line will help get the job done. Big Ben will likely get a few more rushing TDs this year.

I doubt that any RB drafted by the Steelers will see playing time. Parker will start the season as the #1 RB for a very good offense. I don't think he'll be there in the fourth round, nor do I think he should be.

Have you seen the size of Staley? He is going to be the short yardage back. Forget his days in Philly, he beefed up the last couple years.

You can't judge the Steelers RB style before Bettis cause Cowher was only there a couple years before that. He had the Eric Pegram/Bam Morris days and also the Barry Foster days.

Cowher loves Parker's big play ability but there is nothing in his running style that says he will getting any carries inside the 5, but he is young and this was his first year as a starting RB since high school since his college coach must have been blind....he may learn to read his holes better

Cower is sold on him... Duce coming back won't mean much, Willie will be the guy and Duce will spell him. Question is still those valuable GL carries though. Will Duce take on Jeromes roll there?? I think they change up a bit to start the season and see if he can handle the full load, otherwise the fall back to their between the 20's use of him.

I hope you are right, but I can't shake the feeling that FWP will be pulled somewhere around the 10 yard line. Cowah wants to keep him fresh for that explosion and won't want to burn his energy grinding out 1 yard for a first down or TD. A fresh Staley should be more effective after a the D has been chasing Willie for 60 yards.

I would find it hard to believe that Cowher would have willie taking the goal line carries. Expect Duce (if healthy) verron haynes, or a rookie if takin in the draft take the role of bettis.

I do think that if Fast Willie drops and you can snag him in the 4th rd or so its a steal. Because he can provide depth at the rb spot as a 3rd rb.

Lack of TD's makes him at best a #3 RB for me. I also read some reports that he was really struggling to keep his weight up last year toward the end of the year. That would make him risky come playoff time.

Look.. Parker proved himself last year. Sure he got nicked up a bit and his production went down a bit last year towards the end of the season, but what he did was show off his talents and his heart. Cower is sold on him... Duce coming back won't mean much, Willie will be the guy and Duce will spell him. Question is still those valuable GL carries though. Will Duce take on Jeromes roll there?? I think they change up a bit to start the season and see if he can handle the full load, otherwise the fall back to their between the 20's use of him.

Cowher is sold on him, just not inside the 10 yard line. Duce Staley will be the short yardage RB next year, count on it.

The comparison to Warrick Dunn is right on mark...exact same situation and very similar players.

I have a tough choice with FWP too.

I can keep FWP for an 11th round pick

OR Plaxico Burress for an 8th round pick

OR Deshaun Foster for a 6th round pick

what to do what to do...

I have a tough choice with FWP too.

I can keep FWP for an 11th round pick

OR Plaxico Burress for an 8th round pick

OR Deshaun Foster for a 6th round pick

what to do what to do...

Don't know why FWP would be part of this decision. Why keep someone you really don't want to start on a weekly basis?

Lack of TD's makes him at best a #3 RB for me. I also read some reports that he was really struggling to keep his weight up last year toward the end of the year. That would make him risky come playoff time.

Good point.. but like any rookie or young player, they learn what they need to do with their bodies. All the rookies last year had a hard time with conditioning, like Ronnie Brown and Caddie. A full off season of conditioning and training and the knowledge of what is needed to get through a season now will go a long way.

Good point.. but like any rookie or young player, they learn what they need to do with their bodies. All the rookies last year had a hard time with conditioning, like Ronnie Brown and Caddie. A full off season of conditioning and training and the knowledge of what is needed to get through a season now will go a long way.

Either way, he looks like a 4th rounder right now. Definitely better to grab a slew of full time backs, several upper tier WR and even a few QBs before him. If the hype builds around him leading up to the start of the season, he will get pushed up draft boards accordingly.

I wouldn't hesitate to get him in yardage leagues or those with bonuses for distance scores.

My take on FWP is his stat line is more like Barry Sanders - he will break a couple of big ones but not consistently make 4 and 5 yard runs. This doesn't seem to fit in with what Cowher likes to do. That is why I am leaning towards not keeping FWP in my league but I may change my mind depending on what happens in the draft and in preseason.

If the Steelers take a back in the first round, then his value is nothing more than a fifth-sixth rounder. With a bad showing at his pro day, I can see LenDale White falling in the draft. I do not think he will fall all the way to the last pick in the first, however. So basically, Parker's fantasy value is high simply due to the Steeler's success this past year, which puts them out of contention for a stud RB in the draft. Again, in the second round I can foresee all of Addai, Calhoun, and Jones-Drew being selected before the last pick. So again the value of an RB in the second is low at that spot. I have no doubt that if there was a good back available at their pick, they would take him in a second, especially if Lendale somehow fell that far in the first. At the highest, the Steelers will take a back in the 3rd round, probably a big guy like Cedric Humes. But I get the impression that the Steelers like Parker's big-play ability, and the loss of Randel El only increases his value to the team in that regard. If Parker goes into the season as the no.1 guy witout much competition, I would take him 3rd-4th round, which is a good value for the numbers you will get out of him.