Sign in to follow this  
Carrie

Question for Internet/Computer Geeks

What I want to know, as a lay person:

1) How long before we can have broadband-speed truly mobile everywhere internet access? So I can plug in my phone to my laptop and have it get access anywhere my phone works.

2) How much does/will it cost?

3) Who are the service providers?

4) Alternatively, how long before the whole planet has Wi-Fi access?

TIA!!!

2-6 weeks

hth

One factor here is that as the technology advances, profitability decreases.

Everyone wants high speed access, but nobody wants to pay much for it.

"Wi-Fi access? Great! Love it! Pay to buy and maintain the equipment? Hell no!"

What pays for Wi-Fi access now is the idea that people will come to your business and buy stuff in order to use your free Wi-Fi access.

This economic incentive does not apply to the notion of making high speed access available everywhere.

1) Under 5 years.

2) Just under $100

3) Verizon, AT&T, Major carriers at first

4) 20 years

One factor here is that as the technology advances, profitability decreases.

Everyone wants high speed access, but nobody wants to pay much for it.

"Wi-Fi access? Great! Love it! Pay to buy and maintain the equipment? Hell no!"

What pays for Wi-Fi access now is the idea that people will come to your business and buy stuff in order to use your free Wi-Fi access.

This economic incentive does not apply to the notion of making high speed access available everywhere.

That may be true, but if your everyday average Carrie is complaining about it, it's time technology gets its act together. It's like phone service at this point.

That may be true, but if your everyday average Carrie is complaining about it, it's time technology gets its act together. It's like phone service at this point.

How many Carrie complaints do you have to save up to buy a cup of coffee?

You live in Min, right? Don't hold your breath.

Major markets like San Fran, NYC, Phi, Boston...they will get it years before you do.

There are a few technologies that are being pushed right now.

Many cities are trying to launch free Wi-Fi access throughout their respective areas, but they are being fought toof & nail by the cable & phone companies. San fran just recently came to an agreement w/Google and earthlink (I think) to provide this service. Meanwhile, in New Orleans, they have a similar service set up that has bene used since Katrina to help prop-up the economy by providing free hi-speed internet access to residents and busineses. Of course, the major service providers are complaining, but the guy in charge in NO has pretty much told them to fock off.

There are alos new services coming out that compete w/Wi-Fi (one is called Wimax...I think.) Basically, it's a wireless broadband connection to your compooter. I know that verizon offers this in the NYC area now. I'v ebeen told it works well and is at a fairly reasonable proce.

Look into the T-Mobile MDA. It is like a mini laptop and has Window based programs (Excel, Word, etc). The speed is supposed to be better if you are in the area of a city (i.e. Minneapolis). Not sure how fast it is, but it is better than dial up, but still not cable fast.

It is $30 a month for the internet service. The phone is about $200 at CompUSA, $300 at T-Mobile.

You could move to a big city like Madison. :rolleyes:

We will have Wi-Fi throughout the city by the end of the year. :cry:

We need to go to the 64bit transfer protocol. I believe Japan and Finland are already using it, but as usual, the 32-bit demigods are holding fast against the switch.

I'm in Australia right now and they already have it. I'm typing this on a 1 mbit wireless broadband connection. It will happen soon, and at a reasonable price.

Major markets like San Fran, NYC, Phi, Boston...they will get it years before you do.

Philly almost has a Wi-Fi network set-up, but it will cost money.

Google is going to provide a wi-fi network for everyone in San Fransisco free of charge while Earthlink will provide a faster connection for a fee.

Also the city of Hermosa Beach provides a free wi-fi connection paid for by taxpayers. I like that idea.