Sign in to follow this  
surferskin

Redskins Cap Situation

FULL ARTICLE

2. Now we know how the Redskins play Houdini with the cap every year.

I hear it every winter -- from editors, readers, people in line at Starbucks. (True story: I got asked at an Orlando Starbucks during the league meetings how the Redskins were able to sign 10 guys to gigantic contracts every year.) The answer: They don't. It's 70 percent funny money. Take the case of linebacker Andre Carter, signed to a reported seven-year, $32.5 million contract on March 15. It's more accurately a one-year, $5.85 million deal, or a two-year, $10.18 million contract, or a three-year, $13.5 million deal. See, the Redskins sign players to long deals, but the contracts are back-loaded, meaning the players would get most of the money in the final years of the contracts, if they get the money at all. And if Carter turns out to be the defensive force the Redskins hope he'll be, they'll almost certainly let him play the first two years, then re-do the deal before the fat money kicks in. Specifically, in Carter's case, he has two major slices of money he may never see: $13.4 million, combined, in five separate roster bonuses to be earned if he's on the roster in 2008, '09, '10, '11 and '12; and salaries totaling $8.9 million between 2008 and 2012. Collectively, that's $22.3 million of $32 million he may never see. Now the other question you have is this: Won't the Redskins get killed on the salary cap if they release Carter after, say, two years? The answer is not really, because the only part of his contract that's guaranteed is the signing bonus, which is $5 million.

it's about fockin time he did some research, instead of his normal rants about "CAP HELL" FOR THE SKINS or SYNDER IS CHEATING. :huh:

FULL ARTICLE

it's about fockin time he did some research, instead of his normal rants about "CAP HELL" FOR THE SKINS or SYNDER IS CHEATING. :huh:

Unbelievable...this douche claims to be some kind of expert reporter and he finally came to this realization. What's that quote..."better to shut up and seem an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove it." :huh:

I wonder if he'll finally "get" that Art Monk belongs in the HOF.

Peter King = #1 Jackass

If that's it, why does this work for the Redskins but not for other teams?

It would/could work for other teams but most seem to want to ignore this fact.

they're too cheap to guarantee the upfront money.

they're too cheap to guarantee the upfront money.

I'm sorry, I don't think that this makes sense, nor does it make sense to say that Dan Snyder is just that much smarter than the other GM's/owners in the league.

Players want to go places that guarantee that most upfront money, or give contracts that are hard to get out of (more long term assurance). Bottom line: if it was this easy to figure out, other teams would do it.

I'm sorry, I don't think that this makes sense, nor does it make sense to say that Dan Snyder is just that much smarter than the other GM's/owners in the league.

Players want to go places that guarantee that most upfront money, or give contracts that are hard to get out of (more long term assurance). Bottom line: if it was this easy to figure out, other teams would do it.

yeah, you're right and the article is wrong...it can't be true because every team in the league doesn't operate like the redskins. :unsure:

Does it really work? What have they won since Danny Boy bought the team? :unsure:

Does it really work? What have they won since Danny Boy bought the team? :unsure:

Well, I'd respond in two ways.

1. You're right, it hasn't worked (in terms of winning) and perhaps that's why other teams aren't doing it.

OR

2. It works in terms of signing top FA's, which seems like is something that ALL teams would want to do.

Perhaps the issue is that other top teams draft well and so their money is tied up with their own guys, rather than relying on FA/Trades like Wash.

Well, I'd respond in two ways.

1. You're right, it hasn't worked (in terms of winning) and perhaps that's why other teams aren't doing it.

OR

2. It works in terms of signing top FA's, which seems like is something that ALL teams would want to do.

Perhaps the issue is that other top teams draft well and so their money is tied up with their own guys, rather than relying on FA/Trades like Wash.

The NFL is all about winning period. It hasn't worked.

The Redskins are definitely an organization on the rise. It hasn't worked in the past, but they did make the playoffs last year. And had an extremely impressive run at the end winning 6 of their last 7. I don't see how the addition of these FAs can hurt the team. The biggest question mark is the play of Mark Brunell who's as inconsistent as sex after marriage. If they had a average-above average QB I think they could really go far. If Brunell plays decent I don't see how they aren't the favorite to win the division. They have all the pieces.

Elite RB

Great WR corps, as deep as any other team in the league.

Elite return guy in Randle El

Top 5 defense

Rising TE in Cooley

Not really sure of their O-Line play but when you have a 1500+ yard back and a 1400+ yard receiver I gotta assume the line is more than adequate

The Redskins are definitely an organization on the rise. It hasn't worked in the past, but they did make the playoffs last year. And had an extremely impressive run at the end winning 6 of their last 7. I don't see how the addition of these FAs can hurt the team. The biggest question mark is the play of Mark Brunell who's as inconsistent as sex after marriage. If they had a average-above average QB I think they could really go far. If Brunell plays decent I don't see how they aren't the favorite to win the division. They have all the pieces.

Elite RB

Great WR corps, as deep as any other team in the league.

Elite return guy in Randle El

Top 5 defense

Rising TE in Cooley

Not really sure of their O-Line play but when you have a 1500+ yard back and a 1400+ yard receiver I gotta assume the line is more than adequate

:doublethumbsup:

First, I think it failed in the past because they went after the wrong people. Take this offseason. 5 years ago Danny would have grabbed TO immediately. Probably would have grabbed Fonoti too. Heck, Rod Woodson might have even gotten a ridiculous paycheck from them. This year, Gibbs wouldn't do that. He knew it would be a quick fix, rather than another brick in the wall.

Second, they have learned that to operate in this way means not having draft picks. Previously, they also paid for high draft picks - Lavar, Samuels. But if you stop paying for unknown high draft picks, right there you save a ton of money to pursue FAs. Look at what Alex Smith will cost the 49ers. They would have been better off trading that pick for a bunch of esatblished players and grabbing a Warner/Kitna type in free agency.

The other way to do it is the way the Eagles and Patriots are doing it. Bring system guys in through the draft, coach them very well, and retain only the studs. But be ready for them to leave after 3-4 years.

The third method - building thru the draft and picking up marginal FAs seems like a risky proposition.

The third method - building thru the draft and picking up marginal FAs seems like a risky proposition.

We all know it didn't work out for the Patriots.

We all know it didn't work out for the Patriots.

Corey Dillion was a margianal FA?

Rodney Harrison was a marginal FA?

They were both studs in their prime... dont' give me that crap about the Pats build through the draft.

They luck'd out with Tom Brady - NOTHING ELSE, He was a 6th round pick who played one season ion college, and only got on the field because of an injury, not becuase he wont the job or beat out anyone.

Add a lucky call in NE (against a better Raiders team) and they win their first SB; not saying they aren't good, nor am I saying they dnd't have one of the best runs in pro football history, but they did not NOT use Free agency to build that team.... and using the draft - WHO??? Willie McGinest 110 years ago?...enough with that nonsense.

with out the assistants - the Pats are NOTHING - Now Synder has paid dollars to his assts coaches, we'll see how it works out in the next few years.

I'm not a Pats fan, so you can bash them all you want. They still have 3 more Super Bowls then your team or my team in the past decade.

I just think the Redskins lovefest in entertaining considering you've won how many play-off games under Snyder? Let's at least repeat a winning season or two before we annoint him owner of the millenium.

I'm not a Pats fan, so you can bash them all you want. They still have 3 more Super Bowls then your team or my team in the past decade.

I just think the Redskins lovefest in entertaining considering you've won how many play-off games under Snyder? Let's at least repeat a winning season or two before we annoint him owner of the millenium.

what are you talking about? this thread was not about bashing the pats or puffing up the skins...everyone always asks how skins sign some many big name FA's and everyone writes "cap hell" articles about the skins. the article i posted just explains how they do what they do...or did you even read the article?

what are you talking about? this thread was not about bashing the pats or puffing up the skins...everyone always asks how skins sign some many big name FA's and everyone writes "cap hell" articles about the skins. the article i posted just explains how they do what they do...or did you even read the article?

I read the article; have you read the responses to your thread.

I read the article; have you read the responses to your thread.

you're the one that brought up the pats.

you're the one that brought up the pats.

In response to someone saying "The third method - building thru the draft and picking up marginal FAs seems like a risky proposition."

I felt they needed to be brought up since they used that method and have won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls. Instead, it seems like there's a lot of people in awe of Dan Snyder's cap manipulation when it's won him less playoff games total than the Pats have Super Bowls.

I'm not a Pats fan; in fact because of the fanbase contingent on here I've actually grown a slight disdain for them. That's not to say I don't completely respect what their organization has done in the salary cap era.

I felt they needed to be brought up since they used that method and have won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls. Instead, it seems like there's a lot of people in awe of Dan Snyder's cap manipulation when it's won him less playoff games total than the Pats have Super Bowls.

The Pats didn't win 3 super bowls by building through the draft, stupid.

Am I the only one who isn't astonished by the alleged "revelation" in the original post? I mean... it's friggin' common knowledge that a large majority of these HUMONGOUS contracts are backloaded and have been for a long time. MOST teams do this, it's not something that has just happened along in the last year or so.

Am I the only one who isn't astonished by the alleged "revelation" in the original post? I mean... it's friggin' common knowledge that a large majority of these HUMONGOUS contracts are backloaded and have been for a long time. MOST teams do this, it's not something that has just happened along in the last year or so.

Isn't this what the niners did to win super bowls in the 90's?

no...in the title of the thread is stated that peter king "finally" gets it. that was the point.

Danny boy hans't used his money wisely -- it hasn't turned into SB wins... but he has settle down and invested his money into football people -- the results will come soon :first:

I was just about to post this. :rolleyes:

The lesson, as always, is Redskin fans are idiots.

Redskins blow.

blow me.

i guess your reading comprehension sucks too. sorry. :(

Peter King is a Redskins fan?

They luck'd out with Tom Brady - NOTHING ELSE, He was a 6th round pick who played one season ion college, and only got on the field because of an injury, not becuase he wont the job or beat out anyone.

:rolleyes: :( :lol:

The Pats didn't win 3 super bowls by building through the draft, stupid.

Calling people names doesn't make your post any more valid either. :rolleyes:

Brady, Seymour, Kenyatta Jones, Mat Light, David Givens, Deion Branch, Ty Warren, Asante Samuel were all drafted between 2000 and 2003. I'm not going to say that this is their whole team, or that they didn't make any signifigant FA moves, but to say that a big part of their success did not come from the draft is also false.

David Givens

7th round pick. :lol: But they ONLY LUCKED OUT WITH BRADY!@!@ :(

Redskin fans are silly. :lol:

:rolleyes:

GREAT FIND

From what I understand, incentive monies are not counted against the salary cap, and those monies are paid out from that team's revenue.

This is what I heard from the mouth of Joe Banner, head bean counter for the Eagles. Everyone says the Eagles are cheap, and are always consistently well under the cap. However, their overhead for overall player salaries is top 5 in the NFL, and that is because they offer and pay out alot of incentives in player contracts.

It's part of the reason why high revenue generating teams like the Skins and Eagles were against the new CBA. If a teams making alot of money because they can, why should they share more of it, especially when they're really good at managing it?

Public perception in regards to spending has always been "what's their cap number", when that's entirely false. It's like judging the success of a business based on gross revenues and not looking at the net results. :(

Brady, Seymour, Kenyatta Jones, Mat Light, David Givens, Deion Branch, Ty Warren, Asante Samuel were all drafted between 2000 and 2003. I'm not going to say that this is their whole team, or that they didn't make any signifigant FA moves, but to say that a big part of their success did not come from the draft is also false.

is that supposed to prove your point? anyone can name that many guys drafted on any team. :(

Good call on Mat Light, I forgot how critical he was to the Pats SB wins.

Redskins blow like surferskins’ mom. I can’t believe all of the wasted posts in this thread regarding the focking REDSKINS. They suck! Who cares what Peter Queen or surferskins has to say about this? It’s the focking SKINS! They blow and so does this thread.

Redskins blow like surferskins’ mom. I can’t believe all of the wasted posts in this thread regarding the focking REDSKINS. They suck! Who cares what Peter Queen or surferskins has to say about this? It’s the focking SKINS! They blow and so does this thread.

there's no comeback for jokes like this. i bow to your superior message board wit. :rolleyes: