Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Mexico

Aaron Brooks .... not long for this world ?

4-25-06 :

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports the Oakland Raiders

do not see QB Aaron Brooks as a long-term solution at quarterback.

They will probably take a quarterback in the upcoming draft,

perhaps as early as the first round.

4-25-06 :

hes perfect for a 1-2 year role...ala Jeff Garcia.

Guest Mr.T

This is news?

He'll still finish top ten this year. Likely another year of fantastic value for those who take him.

This is news?

He'll still finish top ten this year. Likely another year of fantastic value for those who take him.

I agree. Brooks has been in a bad situation in New Orleans - especially without Duece and Horn last season, and a terrible Saints defense. He was a decent fantasy QB before those problems. I think he'll be a good sleeper in Oakland with a healthy Randy Moss and L.Jordan.

I agree. Brooks has been in a bad situation in New Orleans - especially without Duece and Horn last season, and a terrible Saints defense. He was a decent fantasy QB before those problems. I think he'll be a good sleeper in Oakland with a healthy Randy Moss and L.Jordan.

He can't be worse than Collins.

He can't be worse than Collins.

Take a good look at Collins's numbers from last year....because it can indeed get much worse than that.

That's not a knock on Brooks....just saying that Collins's numbers last year weren't half bad and yet everyone speaks of him like he was awful last year or something.

2005 oak | 15 | 302 565 53.5 3759 6.7 20 12 | 18 38 1

There's Collins's stat line from last year. Granted, the completion % wasn't all that great, but 20 TDs vs. 12 INTs is pretty solid as is nearly 3800 yards in 15 games.

Collins got scapegoated last year because the team was 4-12. That's all there is to it.

Take a good look at Collins's numbers from last year....because it can indeed get much worse than that.

That's not a knock on Brooks....just saying that Collins's numbers last year weren't half bad and yet everyone speaks of him like he was awful last year or something.

2005 oak | 15 | 302 565 53.5 3759 6.7 20 12 | 18 38 1

There's Collins's stat line from last year. Granted, the completion % wasn't all that great, but 20 TDs vs. 12 INTs is pretty solid as is nearly 3800 yards in 15 games.

Collins got scapegoated last year because the team was 4-12. That's all there is to it.

Brooks was without Duece for most of the year and was without Horn, the only player he had to throw to was Stallworth. Last year Collins had the best WR in the game to throw to and an effective running game behind him. There is no reason why his numbers should not have been better!!!!

That team was no way close to a 4-12 team

Brooks was without Duece for most of the year and was without Horn, the only player he had to throw to was Stallworth. Last year Collins had the best WR in the game to throw to and an effective running game behind him. There is no reason why his numbers should not have been better!!!!

That team was no way close to a 4-12 team

Lamont Jordan was solid from a fantasy perspective, but in reality, he averaged only 3.8 yards per carry...hardly an effective running game. In fact, one of the lowest YPCs for starting RBs in the entire league. Plus, Moss was a shell of his usual self.

Again, Collins's numbers weren't off the charts to be sure, but they weren't too bad either given what I just related. Jordan and Moss weren't the world-beaters last year that you have suggested that they were.

Brooks vs Collins as a career.

Both have talent and ability.

Brooks has, as ESPN likes to show, made some bad decisions. Throwing a pass backwords instead of taking the sack, etc.

Collins is not a motivator. Lacks the ability to lead the team past mediocrity. Talent gets him by. But his character leaves the team short of its potential regardless of the situation. Reference NY Giants.

Best put, he plays down to the level of his competition on a consistent basis. This is a definition of lacking motivation.

Brooks can, with proper coaching, have a chance to become his potential.

Collins is beyond that point in his career.

Also, Collins contract with the Raiders was rediculous.

Between the two, Brooks will still have some left in 3 years, if a first round rookie is drafted. Will have trade value then.

It just seems odd to me the Raiders draft a QB to be starter. So used to them taking someone elses developed products to the playoffs.

In defense of Collins, leading his team to an NFC title and Super Bowl berth is "past mediocrity" in my book.

What!!!! :thumbsup: I thought they signed Brooks to take them to the super bowl :lol:

4-25-06 :

i guess i don't find what's shocking about that assessment.

Lamont Jordan was solid from a fantasy perspective, but in reality, he averaged only 3.8 yards per carry...hardly an effective running game. In fact, one of the lowest YPCs for starting RBs in the entire league. Plus, Moss was a shell of his usual self.

Again, Collins's numbers weren't off the charts to be sure, but they weren't too bad either given what I just related. Jordan and Moss weren't the world-beaters last year that you have suggested that they were.

Moss can single handedly make a QB look better, look what he did for C-Pep. Collins what so bad last year that even Moss could not help him look good. Why did Jordan have a 3.6 yard average, could it be that teams were trying to stop the run and begging Collins to throw the ball?

Moss can single handedly make a QB look better, look what he did for C-Pep. Collins what so bad last year that even Moss could not help him look good. Why did Jordan have a 3.6 yard average, could it be that teams were trying to stop the run and begging Collins to throw the ball?

Moss was hurt most of the year.....did you miss that?

In defense of Collins, leading his team to an NFC title and Super Bowl berth is "past mediocrity" in my book.

Considering he face the Ravens, whose offense was led by Trent Dilfer, who was snubbed and dropped by his coach after the win.

Yes, i think mediocre best describes Mr. Collins.

That Giants squad had the talent to go somewhere, and between Collins and Fassel could suck the life out of marrow. :lol:

That Giants squad had the talent to go somewhere, and between Collins and Fassel could suck the life out of marrow. :cheers:

They did go somewhere. They won an NFC title and played in the Super Bowl. That was my point.

They did go somewhere. They won an NFC title and played in the Super Bowl. That was my point.

that teams was a lot better than the Oakland team on the whole though

i think with Moss and Jordan that offense should have done a lot better, record not being a factor

Brooks is the same way IMO, that offense should also be doing good things even if the sdefense lets them down every game

hard to say how this is going to work out for Oakland with Brooks at the helm but i am very much in agreeance with the fact that he should only be here for the year

As someone mentioned the Raiders have 3rd round pick Walters from last year and Brooks. I dont see them going qb in round 1. Maybe they take the top CB to replace Woodson or one of the DTs? They are a wild card as always.

But did he show up? 4 picks. Facing a team without an offense.

But did he show up? 4 picks. Facing a team without an offense.

Yes, he played poorly in the Super Bowl....doesn't mean he was mediocre for the season. He had a stellar playoffs up until that game.

Kind of like Rich Gannon in the TB-Oakland Super Bowl. His performance in that game doesn't mean he's mediocre, either. He led his team to an AFC title....no small feat.

Guest Mr.T

Did you see how Collins was doing when Moss was healthy vs. when Moss was hurt?

Now if somebody wants to bring up the fact Moss has been hurt two years in a row that'd be fine by me.

I would not draft Brooks as my FF starter, but he is at the top of my board as my #2. But I never draft a QB before RD 6 so I generally draft another one with top 5 potential shortly after. It's always worked and with the weapons Brooks will have, I really like him as a 2 especially given how I draft.

Guest Mr.T
I would not draft Brooks as my FF starter, but he is at the top of my board as my #2. But I never draft a QB before RD 6 so I generally draft another one with top 5 potential shortly after. It's always worked and with the weapons Brooks will have, I really like him as a 2 especially given how I draft.

This is a good strategy. I'd be ok taking Brooks as my starter only if I was stacked at other positions.

I can see the locker room talk now...... Randy: hey if you get in trouble, I'll just break long. Throw it up and I will protect you from the pick and often times come down with it, I won't let anyone else get it." And, I see that happening. Kerry did not have scample albility to mess up the field. Brooks does. I see them doing that a lot and if it works once a game both will be big.

Guest Mr.T
I can see the locker room talk now...... Randy: hey if you get in trouble, I'll just break long. Throw it up and I will protect you from the pick and often times come down with it, I won't let anyone else get it." And, I see that happening. Kerry did not have scample albility to mess up the field. Brooks does. I see them doing that a lot and if it works once a game both will be big.

Kerry Collins was playing some solid, mistake free football before Moss got hurt. He tossed about 270 yards a game and had 0 interceptions while Randy was healthy.

That's how brilliant Oakland is...they do something stupid and sign Kerry Collins, an overrated QB, then watch Collins suck all season. He even got himself benched. Not satisfied with ineptitude, they then go out and get the black equivalent of Kerry Collins. BRILLIANT! Brooks is a clone to Collins, in the fact he has some skills, make terrible decisions and throws picks left and right when forced to pass. And he doesn't have the arm Collins has to begin with. There's a reason NO is glad to be rid of him because he cost the Saints as much as that idiot Haslett. Everything that will be said of Brooks this season, was said about Collins last season, because of all the talent on the team. I don't care how good the players are around him, he's still Aaron Brooks. I hope they give him Collins old uniform #5 too, then with the helmet on, nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Yes, he played poorly in the Super Bowl....doesn't mean he was mediocre for the season. He had a stellar playoffs up until that game.

Kind of like Rich Gannon in the TB-Oakland Super Bowl. His performance in that game doesn't mean he's mediocre, either. He led his team to an AFC title....no small feat.

Difference is Gannon is a leader and has a huge fire burning within him.

I cannot recall ever seeing Gannon go out on the field without intensity and emotion.

Where as Collins, on the other hand, you cannot tell if he has a pulse most days.

Gannon definitely had a leadership advantage on Collins, but the biggest difference was his footwork and smarts. You didn't want to blitz Gannon because he'd pick you apart. Collins was absolutely helpless against the blitz, I can't tell you how many plays consisted of him taking the snap, starting his drop, then running backwards to take a 10+ yard loss as the blitzer got through, instead of planting and getting rid of the ball. :doh:

hes perfect for a 1-2 year role...ala Jeff Garcia.

Hey, I am a pro-bowler, not a 1-2 year guy! :huh:

That's how brilliant Oakland is...they do something stupid and sign Kerry Collins, an overrated QB, then watch Collins suck all season. He even got himself benched. Not satisfied with ineptitude, they then go out and get the black equivalent of Kerry Collins. BRILLIANT! Brooks is a clone to Collins, in the fact he has some skills, make terrible decisions and throws picks left and right when forced to pass. And he doesn't have the arm Collins has to begin with. There's a reason NO is glad to be rid of him because he cost the Saints as much as that idiot Haslett. Everything that will be said of Brooks this season, was said about Collins last season, because of all the talent on the team. I don't care how good the players are around him, he's still Aaron Brooks. I hope they give him Collins old uniform #5 too, then with the helmet on, nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Racist :cheers: