Sign in to follow this  
PWFFL

Why do packer fans want Davis?!

This is just absurd in my eyes. We have a solid TE already and this draft is loaded with TE that go 4 rounds deep. What linebackers do we have? Doesnt Barnett and Hawk sound better then Bubba and Davis?

I really think Hawk is just the type of player we need on this team because I see him being a fan favorite. Just think of our D as a whole if we get Hawk, even if our offsense isnt that good this year, we'll at least have our D to keep us in it.

Line-KGB, Pickett,Jackson/Jenkins, Kampman

Linebackers-Barnett, Hawk, Taylor

Secondary-Woodson, Harris, Collins, Roman?

Thats a top 15 D on paper and a potential 4 pro bowl players on this D

Why is it absurd?

I can understand your point about having Hawk but how can you miss the point about having Davis? Bubba and Davis would not be used the same way so I wouldn't put them in the same category. Bubba's a TE, Davis is a hybrid TE/WR that can create tons of problems for defenses.

Either would be a godsend. Trading the chance at either would send me wretching to bathroom.

Hawk appears to be mean, nasty and dominant. A true Ray Nitschke type that could put the Packer D on the map for years to come. Trouble is that this draft is even deeper at LB than at WR or TE.

Davis appears to be an offensive juggernaut. A true Tony Gonzalez type that could put Brett Favre back in the Pro Bowl right away. There's just not that many impact players at TE/WR this year outside of Vernon.

I do like Davis, but a "play-making" TE is a luxury a rebuilding Green Bay cannot afford right now.

Besides, it would force the Packers to become a mirror-image of the Baltimore offense for the forseable future. :cry:

If they're gonna make a statement for rebuilding, do it with a punishing linebacker. They'll likely be in the top 5 picks again next year. Then they can start with the offense, and draft a WR which they need far more than a TE.

I also prefer Hawk...

But if it's Davis/Carpenter or Hawk/Joe Schmoe WR, I go with the TE first.

Am I the only one who remembers how unstoppable the offense was with Jackson and Chumra? Guess so..

When favre was in his prime and would play for more then 1 more year....yea i remember THOSE DAYS :thumbsdown:

Am I the only one who remembers how unstoppable the offense was with Jackson and Chumra? Guess so..

Dude... I'm a Packer fan, too, but no way did Jackson single-handedly make that offense superbowl-caliber.

First, Favre was in his prime. Second, Mark Chmura was already pretty good (Bubba Franks is not). A solid offensive line was already in place. Dorsey Levens was ready to peak (you have to admit, he was good for awhile), and they had Robert Brooks (102 receptions, 1500 yds, 13 TDs) and Freeman was ready to break out.

Jackson added a single dimension-- he exploited the middle of the field.

NO way in hell Green Bay's offense is one 'Keith Jackson-esque' player from that type of production.

When favre was in his prime and would play for more then 1 more year....yea i remember THOSE DAYS :banana:

Great observation. I was just about to post that I think the desire for Davis is somehow connected to the infatuation with Favre. I'm betting the same peeps that still think Favre has it are the ones that want Davis. As if Davis will bring Favre back around, kind of "proving" that it was a lack of talent that was hindering him.

I do like Davis, but a "play-making" TE is a luxury a rebuilding Green Bay cannot afford right now

Exactly!

But if it's Davis/Carpenter or Hawk/Joe Schmoe WR, I go with the TE first.

Davis and Carpenter would be nice but Carpenter is a top 20 pick! He'll be gone 17 picks before the Pack picks in the 2nd round

Great observation. I was just about to post that I think the desire for Davis is somehow connected to the infatuation with Favre. I'm betting the same peeps that still think Favre has it are the ones that want Davis. As if Davis will bring Favre back around, kind of "proving" that it was a lack of talent that was hindering him.

Um, no, the desire for Davis is to get the best football player, period. Almost every scout I've read about says Hawk will be solid, while Davis will be special. At #5, you want a special player, a difference maker.

Favre doesn't even enter into the equation.

Um, no, the desire for Davis is to get the best football player, period. Almost every scout I've read about says Hawk will be solid, while Davis will be special. At #5, you want a special player, a difference maker.

Solid?? If you mean future hall of famer (as has been said by more than a few, Romeo Crennel for one) then I agree.

Exactly. In fact, a young, inexperienced QB will soon be entering into the equation and a stud TE can make a big difference in that situation.

In this draft I don't really see any other offensive players that would be much of a difference maker for GB - especially looking into the second and third rounds. They can spend their top pick on Davis and use the rest of the draft to build up thier LB corp and add depth to their lines.

how many of Davis' games have you seen...

Freakish talent doesnt mean great FOOTBALL PLAYER

its totally unfair to compare a great TE to the days when favre was in his prime and everything was clicking....good TEs did NOT make an UNSTOPPABLE offense....they did have all the right pieces plus one of the best QBs to ever play the game in his prime...I think Favre had a little mor eto do with that great Off. than 2 good TEs....

Do you agree?

how many of Davis' games have you seen...

Freakish talent doesnt mean great FOOTBALL PLAYER

Couldnt agree more!

We're looking for football players not weight room junkies.

I have to admit, but you're right.

At pick #5, Davis will be the best player available on the board. When you're rebuilding a franchise, you take the best player available (except for QB b/c they have Rodgers).

The Packers passing offense didn't fare too well last year w/o Javon Walker. Throw in 2 pass catching TE's in the middle, and that should free up the outside WRs a bit more.

Besides Driver, the rest of the receiving crew is very questionable.

Either guy's gonna help, but when you can get a talent like Davis in the draft, you take him.

Packers can still get a decent LB or two after round one. If memory serves me correctly, Lofa Tatupu wasn't a high first round draft choice.

Simply put...he is a playmaker on offense...something we do not really have without Walker.

He allows them to do so many thing with 2 TE sets. Franks kept in to block...Davis in the slot. No LBs can cover this guy...he can be a beast.

Next...this draft is full of LB talent. I think the dropoff from Hawk to the LB they could get in round 2, is not as great as the dropoff between Davis and the next WR/TE they could get.

I think Davis will be a bust since he is expected to be a cross between Gonzo and Gates. Worse yet he is starting to believe his own hype. I think he will be in for a surprise when he hits the NFL.

Dude... I'm a Packer fan, too, but no way did Jackson single-handedly make that offense superbowl-caliber.

First, Favre was in his prime. Second, Mark Chmura was already pretty good (Bubba Franks is not). A solid offensive line was already in place. Dorsey Levens was ready to peak (you have to admit, he was good for awhile), and they had Robert Brooks (102 receptions, 1500 yds, 13 TDs) and Freeman was ready to break out.

Jackson added a single dimension-- he exploited the middle of the field.

NO way in hell Green Bay's offense is one 'Keith Jackson-esque' player from that type of production.

Exactly! Thank you! I keep seeing these comments about Chmura/Jackson, but what people forget is that they also had a fantastic WR in Brooks, and Freeman was just hitting his stride as well. We don't have those weapons at the moment, and I'd rather see us get Hawk in this draft. He will round out a solid defense for other teams to take note of. Davis will not fix the problems we have on offense this year. I would love to have both of them because I am high on Davis as well, but Hawk is the right pick at spot 1.05.

You know another thing about a play-making TE is that they can be added as that 'last piece of the puzzle' quite easily-- and cheaply-- compared to nearly every other position. Besides kicker, I believe TE is the lowest paid position. If and when Green Bay puts all the other pieces back on Humpty Dumpty and are ready to make their run-- THEN they can go out and land a WR/TE hybrid.

With guys like Gates, and probably Davis, reshaping the mold of what a superstar TE should be (and it really is a TE renaissance right now), there should be a whole new generation hitting the draft. It should take 2-4 years for them to start filtering through the college ranks which is just in time for Green Bay to again make their run. At least I'm hoping it's only 2-4 years...

Seems to me that there are 3 types of teams in the NFL these days.

1. Never give an inch D. Baltimore, Pitts close. Control the game, no mistakes O. To a certian extent Carolina. Maybe Jax is going that way. Just examples.

2. Powerfull O. D based on speed and takeaways. Let's play BB, try to keep scoring with us, built for take-aways and big plays. StL in Sb years, Seattle, Cincy lately.

3. We don't know, just trying to put the best team on the field.

3 does not work. We will know which way TT thinks based on Davis vs Hawk (or Williams if he is there). He took Stevens early in Seattle. I am guessing that he got a solid player in Collins in the 2nd last year that he will go O 1st this year if Davis is there. Moreover, with Favre coming back, I think Brett knows that and it is part of his decision.

3 does not work. We will know which way TT thinks based on Davis vs Hawk (or Williams if he is there). He took Stevens early in Seattle. I am guessing that he got a solid player in Collins in the 2nd last year that he will go O 1st this year if Davis is there. Moreover, with Favre coming back, I think Brett knows that and it is part of his decision.

You do have a valid point here. Favre is coming back...what made him decide to do that if he didn't like what he was seeing in the offseason? Probably the promise of getting him some help on the O-Line and WR/TE position. And now that Driver is putting up a stink as well as Walker, I'm starting to think they may take Davis just to cover themselves at what is quickly becoming a problem position for them.

not that I think the Pack should take Davis, because I really, really don't - although I hope they do because then the Niners could take Hawk...but one could also make the argument that because Favre is not long for the Packers, a "next gen" TE would be a terrific asset to Rogers or whomever plays QB for the pack in the near future.

I think D'Brickshaw coiuld be there, and the Packers would be insane to take anyone over him, considering the status of that O-Line...

But I have to agree that an elite TE seems like a luxury for the Packers right now, with the caveat that it could help them later to develop their next QB.

At pick #5, Davis will be the best player available on the board. When you're rebuilding a franchise, you take the best player available (except for QB b/c they have Rodgers).

I don't necessarily think that is true.

I think Leinart or Vince Young could be there and I wouldn't be shocked to see them take one of them since they know this is Favre's last hurah and Aaron Rogers has reportedly been a huge disappointment thus far, slow to learn, troubles with the playbook, unpoised...all the things you don't want in a QB.

If Fergusen is there, he's also better than Davis, and significantly more valuable both in terms of draft value and positional need.

Hawk is probably better, and with the lack of cover guys in the NFL, Huff could be considered more valuable as well.

If somehow Mario Williams slides to 5, the Packers HAVE to take him. I think the Jets will grab him to replace Abraham, but there's always a chance - funny things happen on draft day.

All that said, if the Niners take VD at 6, I won't be sad - I do think he's the real deal if you want a big receiver who can shake off defenders and get you 1st downs...he's getting so much hype because the learning curve for a receiving TE in the NFL seems to be much shorter than for a WR. Otherwise I'd say the Packers should be looking WR in the draft since Walker is as good as gone, and Driver is rumored to be on the way out too...who the hell will the Packers have at WR? :pointstosky:

I just find it humorous that there is such debate about the #5 pick. Can the Packers really go wrong here with anyone they've got their eye on? I mean, come on....Ferguson, Williams, Hawk, Huff, Davis. Any or all of these guys will be there at #5, and would instantly have a significant positive impact on a trouble spot on this team. Okay, rule out Huff because we now have Harris/Woodson....not that Huff wouldn't be a good pick, but isn't an immediate need. I can honestly say that I would be thrilled to have any of these guys! Why are we even arguing this really?

not that I think the Pack should take Davis, because I really, really don't - although I hope they do because then the Niners could take Hawk...but one could also make the argument that because Favre is not long for the Packers, a "next gen" TE would be a terrific asset to Rogers or whomever plays QB for the pack in the near future.

Agreed. It will be something for the future...not just one year with Favre. But part of it is to give Favre a solid weapon for his last year.

I think D'Brickshaw coiuld be there, and the Packers would be insane to take anyone over him, considering the status of that O-Line...

I could agree if tackle was a problem...but its not. They have 2 stud tackles. Taking Brick would mean moving one to guard...not a for sure thing out there that Tauscher can even play guard in the zone blocking system they are going to. Especially considering there will be a hell of a guard available in the 2nd...or possibly 3rd.

Otherwise I'd say the Packers should be looking WR in the draft since Walker is as good as gone, and Driver is rumored to be on the way out too...who the hell will the Packers have at WR? :headbanger:

Looking WR will happen 3rd to 4th round and later.

The Driver rumor looks to be dying out as nothing more than a rumor.

I just find it humorous that there is such debate about the #5 pick. Can the Packers really go wrong here with anyone they've got their eye on? I mean, come on....Ferguson, Williams, Hawk, Huff, Davis. Any or all of these guys will be there at #5, and would instantly have a significant positive impact on a trouble spot on this team. Okay, rule out Huff because we now have Harris/Woodson....not that Huff wouldn't be a good pick, but isn't an immediate need. I can honestly say that I would be thrilled to have any of these guys! Why are we even arguing this really?

Exactly...the only one that a few others have tried to bring up that would bother me is Ngata.

But I have to agree that an elite TE seems like a luxury for the Packers right now, with the caveat that it could help them later to develop their next QB.

I don't necessarily think that is true.

I think Leinart or Vince Young could be there and I wouldn't be shocked to see them take one of them since they know this is Favre's last hurah and Aaron Rogers has reportedly been a huge disappointment thus far, slow to learn, troubles with the playbook, unpoised...all the things you don't want in a QB.

If Fergusen is there, he's also better than Davis, and significantly more valuable both in terms of draft value and positional need.

Hawk is probably better, and with the lack of cover guys in the NFL, Huff could be considered more valuable as well.

If somehow Mario Williams slides to 5, the Packers HAVE to take him. I think the Jets will grab him to replace Abraham, but there's always a chance - funny things happen on draft day.

All that said, if the Niners take VD at 6, I won't be sad - I do think he's the real deal if you want a big receiver who can shake off defenders and get you 1st downs...he's getting so much hype because the learning curve for a receiving TE in the NFL seems to be much shorter than for a WR. Otherwise I'd say the Packers should be looking WR in the draft since Walker is as good as gone, and Driver is rumored to be on the way out too...who the hell will the Packers have at WR? :headbanger:

My statement was based on the draft following the plan (with Williams, Bush, Leinert, and Ferguson off the board at that point).

Vernon Davis has so much upside, and he possesses physical talents that are rarely ever seen by collegiate TEs. I truly believe in the old addage "you can't teach size and speed".

Vince Young is the wildcard in the draft. If someone high up pulls the trigger on him real early, that could disrupt the entire top half of the first round.

My statement was based on the draft following the plan (with Williams, Bush, Leinert, and Ferguson off the board at that point).

Vernon Davis has so much upside, and he possesses physical talents that are rarely ever seen by collegiate TEs. I truly believe in the old addage "you can't teach size and speed".

Vince Young is the wildcard in the draft. If someone high up pulls the trigger on him real early, that could disrupt the entire top half of the first round.

Yes it could...talking today that if it goes Bush, Williams, Young, Ferguson....that unless a team pulls the trade with Green Bay...Leinart could easily be this year's Aaron Rodgers (though not dropping that far, but out of the top 10)