Sign in to follow this  
Dog Face Gremlins211

Jets | V. Davis thinks the Jets will pick him

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports Maryland TE Vernon Davis thinks the New York Jets will select him in the first round of the NFL Draft. "I think I'm going to the Jets," Davis told The Post Wednesday, April 27. "If I'd say anything, I'd say the Jets will draft me. I'm pretty sure, if nothing crazy happens, it'll be the Jets." Asked if he believes he can come in and be an immediate impact player, Davis said, "Oh, I know I can, right away."

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

That boy is smoking some alabama crack! Might be cooking it and shooting it up actually!!!

Jets go either leinert or furgeson...

Davis was on KNBR yesterday, and did not say that he thinks that the Jets will pick him.

He was asked if he'd heard what teams were expressing interest, and he was told it was the Jets and Niners making the most noise.

When asked where he'd rather play, he said the Jets....then laughed when asked if that was because he wanted to be on the Jets, or because of the difference in $ that being picked 1.03 vs 1.06 would be.

At no time did he suggest, imply or intimate that he thinks that the Jets would pick him. That writer is looking for a story and taking statements out of context to do so. :P

I listened to the whole interview - Davis was asked if he'd be ok if the 49ers selected him, and he said the right things there too - that he'd be thrilled to play for San Francisco, and that he thought he could be an immediate impact player and a good target for a young QB.

This is a non-topic, because Davis never said that he thought the Jets would pick him. Just saying...

:doh:

From the New York Post

April 27, 2006 -- Vernon Davis has a gut feeling, and it's one that either will excite Jets fans or horrify them as Saturday's NFL Draft approaches.

"I think I'm going to the Jets," the Maryland tight end told The Post yesterday. "If I'd say anything, I'd say the Jets will draft me. I'm pretty sure, if nothing crazy happens, it'll be the Jets."

Davis is a 6-31/4, 254-pound physical freak of nature who runs faster than 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash and can leap over the Empire State Building without a running start. He's thought of as a can't-miss prospect, a dynamic player who can change the game for any offense.

Think the moribund, pop-gun Jets' offense, devoid of a single explosive player, can use someone like Davis?

Davis does.

"If [the Jets] know what's right for them, they'll take me, a guy that can make plays," he said at a lunchtime interview in Manhattan set up by representatives from EAS, the supplement drink he'll endorse as a pro. "I don't look at myself as a tight end; I look at myself more as a playmaker.

"I feel I can come in and be one of the best tight ends in the league. It seems like every goal I set for myself I tend to reach it. My philosophy is, somebody might beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."

Asked if he believes he can come in and be an immediate impact player, Davis said, "Oh, I know I can, right away."

Told of the black hole the tight end position has been over the years for the Jets, who since 1992 have used seven draft picks on tight ends, three of them in the first round (Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady and Anthony Becht, where have you gone?), Davis was undaunted.

Told that sports-radio callers already are ranting against the Jets taking another tight end in the first round, Davis said, "My answer to that is - and I'm not trying to knock anyone - but who do they have now?"

The answer would be Chris Baker (eight starts in 52 games, 52 career catches) and journeyman Doug Jolley (118 catches in four seasons and a non-factor as a blocker).

Davis was asked if he would embrace some New York competition with Giants brash TE Jeremy Shockey. Davis' eyes lit up.

"Oh, yeah, he'll definitely have some competition here," he said. "Oh, yeah."

Davis said he's well aware of Shockey's game and those of the other top tight ends in the NFL.

"I can make people miss and run them over, too," Davis said. "I'm explosive. With that, you've got a Jeremy Shockey and Antonio Gates mixed in one."

Davis said he visited the Jets at Weeb Ewbank Hall three weeks ago, spending time with owner Woody Johnson and head coach Eric Mangini.

Davis, asked what his lasting impression was, said, "I could tell by the way they were talking, the way we bonded, that they liked me. It just seemed like it was good."

Davis said he'll wait for his name to be announced in the green room at Radio City on Saturday. Told by The Post that we'd be at the Jets' complex for the draft on Saturday, Davis smiled and said, "Well, I'll see you at the complex on Saturday then."

:wall:

:doublethumbsup:

From the New York Post

:doh:

interesting...he said nothing like that on the radio yesterday. I am sure those were prompted quotes by the interviewer - he probably asked, "could you see the Jets taking you at 1.03?" and Davis probably gave that answer.

I'm somewhat speaking from experience, as many years ago, I used to be one of the fans interviewed for a SF Giants column on a weekly basis...and every week I'd read the article and my quotes would be mis-stated or taken out of context.

With regards to the Jets, they have far more pressing needs - and just like it's a little bit of a reach for the Niners to take Davis at 1.06, it's a HUGE reach to make him a top 3 selection. I just don't see it happening.

interesting...he said nothing like that on the radio yesterday. I am sure those were prompted quotes by the interviewer - he probably asked, "could you see the Jets taking you at 1.03?" and Davis probably gave that answer.

I'm somewhat speaking from experience, as many years ago, I used to be one of the fans interviewed for a SF Giants column on a weekly basis...and every week I'd read the article and my quotes would be mis-stated or taken out of context.

With regards to the Jets, they have far more pressing needs - and just like it's a little bit of a reach for the Niners to take Davis at 1.06, it's a HUGE reach to make him a top 3 selection. I just don't see it happening.

I agree with all that. I suspect VD was sat down by his agent and given a little lesson on what to say and what not to say after this was published. These comments are not playing well, anywhere. He's getting a little full of himself. I can forgive that. A four month long interview that ends with rich old men picking teams like they're on the playground could break the best of young men.

The Jets pick 4th not 3rd, and it wouldn't be a huge reach. Also having a guy, probably the best playmaker in the draft outside of Bush going to an offense that really has nothing absolutely fills a big need. I think their pressing needs you refer to can be addressed later. Remember the Jets have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds

Also having a guy, probably the best playmaker in the draft outside of Bush going to an offense that really has nothing absolutely fills a big need.

Mario Williams?

AJ Hawk?Or hey - Matt Leinart/Vince Young?

Those are the biggest playmakers in the draft.

I think Davis is a beast, but there's nothing but a handful of plays on a highlight reel and his 4.38 time to tell anyone what kind of playmaker he is.

Man, this may be one of the fastest growing hype machines I've ever seen. And I like Davis - but the Jets are nutty to overlook one of the 4 mentioned above. I don't see it happening.

his agent is coaching him. what's he going to say? "i really don't think anyone has shown much interest."

the man is making money for himself: he hypes himself as going by pick 4 in hopes team trade up to get him. the higher he goes, the more money he gets.

either that or the jets are using him to feed misinformation to the media.

All I know is that Davis will not pass the 6th pick in the draft, and any mock draft that does not show that...is wrong.