Sign in to follow this  
mr.shitty

nfc east / toughest division ?

seems like every team in this allready tough division got much better in the offseason and/or draft.

dallas adds TO (though this could be a double edged knife) has a decent draft

philly unloads TO. has one of the best draft days. mcnabb should be healthy

giants improve lbs and secondary. get a gamebreaker wr in the draft

washington add andre carter, adam archiletta, brandon lloyd and randel el

I think the NFC East will be very competitive but the AFC West, and AFC south will also be very competitive.

Despite of of their "big name" signings, I see the Redskins taking a step down this season. Parcells is primed to make one final run and with TO in the mix, they have to be the favorite but people are forgetting about he Giants, who should only get better with Manning having another season under his belt but I'm not sure the defense can play up to the same level this year.

NFC EAST

Cowboys 11-5 (it pains me to make this prediction!)

Eagles 10-6

Giants 9-7

Redskins 7-9

Washington and the Giants will have very good teams. They are possible SB contenders since the NFC is still lacking in dominant teams.

The Eagles had a great draft, but it'll take a year to recover from the Owens fiasco. Their offense will be inconsistent. They are probably an average team this year, with the potential to get back on a roll within a couple of years if Donovan can stay healthy.

I think Dallas is by far the worst team here. Owens will be bitching at Bledsoe before training camp ends, and he's the only guy they got that would help them. Plus Owens was shut down by the Skins last year. I expect the NYG will figure out how they did it and copy it with larger corners and a man over the top. And while everyone yaps about how old Brunell is, Bledsoe is right there with him. Plus Bledsoe is WAY less mobile and their backup is worse than any other backup in the NFC East.

Skins: 12-4

Giants: 11-5

Eagles: 9-7

Cowboys: 6-10

Certainly a very tough division, if not the toughest.

Giants 12-4, had a great offseason even if they don't sign another guy, Manning should only get better.

Redskins 10-6, should only improve as a team in 3rd year with Gibbs, New OC should rev the Offense

Cowboys 9-7, better passing offense but you must run to win

Eagles 8-8, will certainly do better than last year, but every other team in Division will also, still questions at RB and WR.

Washington and the Giants will have very good teams. They are possible SB contenders since the NFC is still lacking in dominant teams.

The Eagles had a great draft, but it'll take a year to recover from the Owens fiasco. Their offense will be inconsistent. They are probably an average team this year, with the potential to get back on a roll within a couple of years if Donovan can stay healthy.

I think Dallas is by far the worst team here. Owens will be bitching at Bledsoe before training camp ends, and he's the only guy they got that would help them. Plus Owens was shut down by the Skins last year. I expect the NYG will figure out how they did it and copy it with larger corners and a man over the top. And while everyone yaps about how old Brunell is, Bledsoe is right there with him. Plus Bledsoe is WAY less mobile and their backup is worse than any other backup in the NFC East.

Skins: 12-4

Giants: 11-5

Eagles: 9-7

Cowboys: 6-10

Bledsoe is still better then Brunell and Campbell is a complete unknown so I'm not sure how he can be considered better then anyone. I hate the Cowboys as much as the next guy but I can't see how you project them to win 6 games.....Owens will NOT make waves in year one with the Cowboys, especially knowing that this is his last chance to make serious money. That offense will be down right scary and with Owens in the mix, they can afford to max protect because he is able to routinely beat double teams, something none of the other WRs in the division can do consistantly.....

The Skins caught a lot of people "off guard" last season with guys like S. Moss, C. Cooley, and even Brunell having career years. Now that people have a year's worth of tape on these guys, that won't happen again.....The Skins defense will keep them competitive but I think people are going to be gravely disappointed in this offense with Brunell at the helm.

Cowboys blew the draft by NOT adding quality Oline help -- Pacells knows this is his last year and pick Carpernter as a "favor" to his friend... not saying it wasn't a good pick -- but not the best pick for their needs. They also botched the draft by NOT getting safety help. Was TE a need for the Cowboys with Fasano?? or another "favor" pick for the Jersey connection. Bledsoe will not have time he needs to take advantage of Glenn and Owens, and once Owens is open and Bledsoe throws to Glenn -- AWW SHIAT -- I can't wait for that sideline show

Eagles had arguably the best draft - but Mcnabb will have to do it alone again. Avant wont be a factor this season, Bloom will help keep westy off the field on special teams... and the D should be back to a high level

Giants did good - Moss will be involved in the offense early, and they added to an already stout D

Skins - lost one starter (Ryan Clark) and upgraded with Archuletta; their offense should only be better with more talent as Lloyd, EL. I was dissapointed they did no upgrade the TE position, as Fauria is NOT the answer.

No FINAL predictions record wise, but all will be at or over 500, and I currently have the Eagles penciled in at 8-8, Giants 9-7 and both the Skins and the Boys at 10-6

Because its tough, I dont see any one team winning more than 10.

Definately the toughest top to bottom.

Right now, I would rak them:

NFC East - All 4 strong

AFC North - Pitt, Cinci and balt. Cle on the rise

AFC West - Den, KC and SD with Oak lagging behind

NFC South - car, TB and Atl all good

NFC North - Chi the fav, but all 3 others are close behind

NFC West - Sea with SL and Ari improving

AFC South - Tenn and Hou drag them down

AFC East - NE and Mia should fight it out

Bledsoe is still better then Brunell and Campbell is a complete unknown so I'm not sure how he can be considered better then anyone. I hate the Cowboys as much as the next guy but I can't see how you project them to win 6 games.....Owens will NOT make waves in year one with the Cowboys, especially knowing that this is his last chance to make serious money. That offense will be down right scary and with Owens in the mix, they can afford to max protect because he is able to routinely beat double teams, something none of the other WRs in the division can do consistantly.....

The Skins caught a lot of people "off guard" last season with guys like S. Moss, C. Cooley, and even Brunell having career years. Now that people have a year's worth of tape on these guys, that won't happen again.....The Skins defense will keep them competitive but I think people are going to be gravely disappointed in this offense with Brunell at the helm.

1. Dallas can't run the ball...at all.

2. Why would Owens care? He's on his last legs. He just want his name in print and some cash to buy Bentley's with. Nobody is going to give an aging WR a big contract after this year anyway. He's not that frickin blind. Not to mention that Bledsoe is probably the worst QB he's played with in the NFL, and certainly has the least scrambling ability to give Owens time to get open.

3. Check out last years' QB ratings. Brunell is ahead of Eli, Bledsoe, and McNabb. And that is with only 1 WR worth a crap. They added 2 decent ones...certainly better than Jacobs and PatteRn. So why he suck$ so bad is beyond me :thumbsup:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PRAT/2005/regular

The Skins weakness is at OL. It has no depth. If one of them gets hurt, they have problems.

Redskins 11-5

Eagles 10-6

Giants 9-7

Cowgirls 7-9

If Brunell can stay healthy, I believe the division is theirs to lose. The new fun bunch will open up running lanes for Portis, whom I believe has a career year.

I feel the Eagles get back to business with a tough defense and a healthy McNabb NOT turning the ball over (not to mention a new commitment to a running game). Eagles will get after the QB, which spells trouble for every QB in the division.

I believe Manning takes a step backwards simply because the defenses within the division will be that much better. I think an aging guy like Tiki will not longer be able to shoulder the load on offense, and the players get sick of Coughlin's shtick. Defense is better in the front seven, but d-backs are still questionable.

The offensive line is weak. No o-line, no playoffs. Bledsoe starts running for his life, TO starts complaining. Add some Tuna, and voila: a dish of disaster. I also believe with a weak o-line, those running backs get killed, especially in this division.

The winner of this division will play in the SB. They won't have home field in the playoffs, but the winner will definitely be battle tested and hardened for the playoff push.

sorry, but the toughest is still te AFCW.

:thumbsup: Which one should the NFL be scared of :banana:

The Phillip Rivers guided San Diego Chargers

Da Raiders :(

KC can be good if they stopped playing defense with only 9 guys :clap:

Denver was in the game before the game - so i wont make fun of them losing their best back, and acquiring a 'gimp' WR who if didn't play with the the QB he has played with, wouldn't be considered much of anything, while telling their QB ---> you got onemore year buddy.

The same division with one playoff team last year, and the same division where that one playoff team was the only one to improve during the current off-season?

Not. Oakland in terrible, KC still has no defense (and the offense has a real weak receiving corps, not to mention a new coach), San Diego lost their starting QB (not to mention crapping the bed on their first round pick), and Denver (on paper) got better.

Denver goes undefeated in the division, the other teams beat each other up, and the other teams post a collective sub .500 record against foes outside their own division.

Denver 14-2

San Diego 8-8

K.C. 7-9

Oakland 4-12

yes it is the toughest division and unfortunately, they will probably only get 1 team in the playoffs because of it. NFC east is toughest followed by the AFC west.

yes it is the toughest division and unfortunately, they will probably only get 1 team in the playoffs because of it. NFC east is toughest followed by the AFC west.

Id say the NFC South is tougher then the AFC West

Carolina

Tampa

Falcons

Saints

:first: Which one should the NFL be scared of :lol:

The Phillip Rivers guided San Diego Chargers

Da Raiders :lol:

KC can be good if they stopped playing defense with only 9 guys :lol:

Denver was in the game before the game - so i wont make fun of them losing their best back, and acquiring a 'gimp' WR who if didn't play with the the QB he has played with, wouldn't be considered much of anything, while telling their QB ---> you got onemore year buddy.

Whoa there, I think you are selling the AFC West a tad short.....I'll give you that Rivers is someone of an unknown but I'll bet 90% of the NFL GMs out there would take a young, strong armed Rivers over a damn near washed up, old Mark Brunell or Drew Bledsoe......

The Raiders aren't going to be a playoff contender this season but I still think they will show improvement under Shell....

The Chiefs still have some money to sign more defensive help (T. Law?) and their offense is better then anyone one in the NFC short of Seattle.

Denver is a really scary team with J. Walker. Even at 80%, Walker is still better then any WR in the NFC East outside T.O., Rod Smith can still move the chains and the running game is always strong.

The think the NFC East has more "depth" but the Chiefs and Broncos could win 12-13 games each.....

but I'll bet 90% of the NFL GMs out there would take a young, strong armed Rivers over a damn near washed up, old Mark Brunell or Drew Bledsoe......

Gibbs passed on a young, strong armed QB for Brunell; and that decision got them into the playoffs.

and KC (if) they sign law -- its an upgrade, but they haven't so they yes, they can score, but when you give up 25 points a game - u dont win int he NFL; last year was case in point for that

Id say the NFC South is tougher then the AFC West

Carolina

Tampa

Falcons

Saints

i think they are pretty close but i'd give a slight nod to AFC west

denver = carolina

san diego = tampa

KC >= atlanta

oakland = saints

IMO

did all of you morons forget SD and KC (the top 2 teams not to make the playoffs) were just shy of reaching the playoffs, and just a game away from the Steelers, the friggin team that won the gawd damn superbowl! :first:

Yeah, some teams have the luxury of beating up other weakass teams in their division. Unfortunatley us in the AFCW dont have that luxury.

Denver has a solid defense. Their O-Line played very well last year and their offense dwelled on the running attack. They have only improved their team and should be one of the top AFC teams once again.

KC should pickup right where they left off as well. yeah we lost Tony Richardson, boo-hoo. Robert Holcombe is healthy and will be our FB. Yeah, our OL is old. They're also one of the best units in the league, and we have some backups that have starting experience as well (Sampson, Wellbourne, Black...)

Larry Johnson is a monster, and is going to be the workhorse this offense relies upon. Dont worry about our receivers, its the same thing every year and every year we manage to get by with one of the top offenses in the league. The D is improving, we made some picks to address areas of need and may not be done yet. Again, this is one of the top teams in the AFC.

As is SD. Yeah Phillip Rivers is an inexperienced QB, but he has some of the best skill position players around him, and they have a very solid defense as well. They're going to be good too and will be in playoff contention.

And while I hate to admit it, the Raiders are doing some things to improve their team also.

Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders >>> Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles

:lol:

Gibbs passed on a young, strong armed QB for Brunell; and that decision got them into the playoffs.

and KC (if) they sign law -- its an upgrade, but they haven't so they yes, they can score, but when you give up 25 points a game - u dont win int he NFL; last year was case in point for that

"Gibbs passed on a young, strong armed QB for Brunell; and that decision got them into the playoffs." - That is the first time in many years they made it and it was largely based on the Eagles having a horrible year and the Cowboys falling apart.

I think Gibbs was a great, HOF coach but lets see him get that team back to the playoffs before we say that he was smart to put all of his eggs in the M. Brunell basket (I stiil think Ramsey was the best QB on the roster)

Time will tell.....

Yeah, some teams have the luxury of beating up other weakass teams in their division. Unfortunatley us in the AFCW dont have that luxury.

Last year

AFC West 36-28

NFC East 36-28

NFC East 2 teams in Playoffs, Dallas 1st team out.

AFC West 1 team in playoffs, 2 teams out.

I am not stating that the NFC East is better, but your argument for the AFC West is weak. And to say that the AFC West is STILL best is completely out of order. They haven't even placed a team in SB in years. And most of the history for the teams in that division is ANCIENT History.

did all of you morons forget SD and KC (the top 2 teams not to make the playoffs) were just shy of reaching the playoffs,

I wanted you to read this sentence again... you have to make it to the party in order to dance.

I love your passion for the 'Chefs'... but the Defense NEEDS to stop someone, and Herm decided to keep Gunther and fire everyone else :wall:

Herm needs to put his own passion into that defense, but with Oakland and Denver and SD - THEY ALL have very good offenses, so unless they upgrade MORE - it will be more of the same in KC.

I wanted you to read this sentence again... you have to make it to the party in order to dance.

I love your passion for the 'Chefs'... but the Defense NEEDS to stop someone, and Herm decided to keep Gunther and fire everyone else :wall:

Herm needs to put his own passion into that defense, but with Oakland and Denver and SD - THEY ALL have very good offenses, so unless they upgrade MORE - it will be more of the same in KC.

I know they didnt make it, but my point was they weren't that far from the Steelers. It's not like we are looking at 1 playoff team with 3 bottom feeders.

Herm's mission is to fix the defense. Yes he decided to keep Gun, Gun is a great motivator and defensive guru. When Gun came to town, Vermeil kept all his suckass defensive assistants. Herm now got rid of all those assistants and filled the staff with his own people, Gunther's mission is to lead the charge with Herm having a heavy hand in all of this. This is exaclty what needed to happen, Vermeil didnt let loose of Gun and he had to try and work with vermeil's people. Now we have new blood to lead the charge on the defensive side of things.

What Herm won't do however is mess with the offense. Mike Solari has been our O-line coach for like 10 years. Terry Shea has been working in Vermeil's system for a long, long time. The offense is loaded with players who have been working in this system for 5+ years. Herm didnt come here to mess with the offense. Herm came her to fix our defense, and yes I'm very optimistic about where this team is going.

Last year

AFC West 36-28

NFC East 36-28

I am not stating that the NFC East is better, but your argument for the AFC West is weak. And to say that the AFC West is STILL best is completely out of order. They haven't even placed a team in SB in years. And most of the history for the teams in that division is ANCIENT History.

You beat me to it.

"Almost getting to the playoffs" is like almost getting laid. Besides, if the class of the division, who happens to have home field advantage, loses to someone they're supposed to beat easily, what does that really say about the toughness of their division?

The two biggest losses in the AFC West happen to be with the 2 best teams to not make the playoffs last year (that one cracks me up): ###### Vermeil and Drew Brees.

If anything, the AFC West is the 3rd best division in football, behind the NFC East and NFC South.

I think it is pretty obvious that SD's fate relies a lot on how well Rivers is able to perform. Luckily for him he has LT2 in the backfield and a damn good TE too. However to be honest I'm not sure I could name a WR on that team, unless McCardell is still there.

KC has a great back with LJ but I'm curious to see how well that offense runs without Al Saunders their anymore. The receivers are all sub par, but like SD they have a great TE and a great running game, which is more important that great receivers.

As for the NFC East, IMO any team could win this division and not because it is weak by any means. Philly will be tough again and they had a great draft. Everyone should be healthy again but they need to start running the ball. They cant repeat last years run to pass ratio. Dallas will have a good offense and a tough defense as well. I think TO will be OK to a certain extent. That O-line is weak and if they have any injuries at all to the starting O-line, it could get ugly. The Giants front 7 is just plain nasty with 2 of the top DEs in the league and LA. As for the Skins, their biggest pickup was Al Saunders. Greg Williams always had his defense ready for gameday, and now that Saunders is doing the playcalling the offense should be able to give the D some help. I think Washington has the best coaches in the league so you know the team will be prepared.

If anything, the AFC West is the 3rd best division in football, behind the NFC East and NFC South.

false

Last year

AFC West 36-28

NFC East 36-28

just wanted to let you know that last year the NFC east went 8-8 against the AFC west, so its too even to call in my book.

(if the redskins didnt go 0-4 against the afc west, it would have been a different story)

KC has a great back with LJ but I'm curious to see how well that offense runs without Al Saunders their anymore. The receivers are all sub par, but like SD they have a great TE and a great running game, which is more important that great receivers.

As for the Skins, their biggest pickup was Al Saunders. Greg Williams always had his defense ready for gameday, and now that Saunders is doing the playcalling the offense should be able to give the D some help. I think Washington has the best coaches in the league so you know the team will be prepared.

You think it's going to be easier for Washington to pickup and learn the new offensive system than it will be for an assistant moving up to OC to guide a system all the players and other assistants are already familiar with? :thumbsup:

because that's kind of what it seems that you are alluding to...

just wanted to let you know that last year the NFC east went 8-8 against the AFC west, so its too even to call in my book.

(if the redskins didnt go 0-4 against the afc west, it would have been a different story)

I wouldnt look at those games from last year. The Chiefs had the Eagles beat before a 2nd half utter meltdown, and the Cowboys game was a disatser as well. Even though the NFCE won those 2 games, either one could have went either way.

of course the tackling in the KC/ NYG game was outright atrocious and something I'd like to forget for all eternity :unsure:

You think it's going to be easier for Washington to pickup and learn the new offensive system than it will be for an assistant moving up to OC to guide a system all the players and other assistants are already familiar with? :blink:

because that's kind of what it seems that you are alluding to...

I wouldnt look at those games from last year. The Chiefs had the Eagles beat before a 2nd half utter meltdown, and the Cowboys game was a disatser as well. Even though the NFCE won those 2 games, either one could have went either way.

of course the tackling in the KC/ NYG game was outright atrocious and something I'd like to forget for all eternity :cry:

dude, thats most football games (refering to you saying it could have gone either way). bottomline, if one division goes 8-8 against another, i'm gonna say that the division are extremely equal. its all about the wins/losses

dude, thats most football games (refering to you saying it could have gone either way). bottomline, if one division goes 8-8 against another, i'm gonna say that the division are extremely equal. its all about the wins/losses

so true.

How does this look?:

1a. AFCW

1b. NFCE

1c. NFCS

4. AFCN

5. AFCE

6. AFCS

7. NFCN

8. NFCW

:blink:

I know they didnt make it, but my point was they weren't that far from the Steelers.

Steelers weren't the best team in the NFL last year, but they played the best ball when they needed to.

false

Aren't you the same guy who told us last year that KC's defense was gonna be vastly improved before last season? :sleep:

You want to know why you're wrong?

2005 - Eagles go winless in the division. However, 3 of the Eagle's 6 wins last year were against San Diego, Oakland, and KC.

Ergo:

Philly, Wash., Dallas, NY> San Diego, Oakland, and KC. Denver's better than every team listed here, but the entire NFC East division is better than 3/4ths of the AFC West.

All 4 NFC East teams improved vastly over this off-season. The only team to really improve in the AFC West is Denver.

the AFC is still much stronger.

All 4 NFC East teams improved vastly over this off-season. The only team to really improve in the AFC West is Denver.

Not to be disagreeable or anything, but I think this remains to be seen. You can't make this statement until, say, 1/2 through the 2006 season...at that time you'll be able to begin to evaluate how the moves these teams made improves them respectively.

Before that it's all speculation....what looks good on paper doesn't always translate to on-field production. :sleep:

the AFC is still much stronger.

Not to be disagreeable or anything, but I think this remains to be seen. You can't make this statement until, say, 1/2 through the 2006 season...at that time you'll be able to begin to evaluate how the moves these teams made improves them respectively.

Before that it's all speculation....what looks good on paper doesn't always translate to on-field production. :sleep:

Isn't this thread all about speculation (hence the question mark)? :shocking:

Most of the teams in the NFC East ADDED players to the roster. No one team lost their QB, no team lost their head coach. :angry:

Which NFL Division Will Be the Toughest in 2006?

NFC East 2681 (27.07%)

AFC West 2108 (21.28%)

AFC North 1939 (19.58%)

NFC North 968 (9.77%)

AFC East 887 (8.96%)

NFC South 726 (7.33%)

NFC West 325 (3.28%)

AFC South 271 (2.74%)

9905 votes

Link

Cowboys blew the draft by NOT adding quality Oline help -- Pacells knows this is his last year and pick Carpernter as a "favor" to his friend... not saying it wasn't a good pick -- but not the best pick for their needs.

Please remember that starting left tackle Flozell Adams only played the first 6 games last year in which the Cowboys were 4-2. Three of those wins were against Tomlinson and his Chargers, McNabb and his Eagles and vs a very solid Giants team.

With Flozell back at left tackle I'm sure he'll help bring better blocking and consistancy back to the o-line.

By adding a Te in the draft it's going to allow the Cowboys to do some things that they weren't able to do last year. And when you add a T.Owens to the mix it just gives the opposing team that much more to worry about. They wont be able to play 8 in the box to stop the run. I happen to think that the Cowboys will have a much more ballanced attack this year. I know I've bumped the Cowboys running game up on my fantasy rankings.

As for the topic.. The NFC East has always been a tough division.

All you have to do is look at all of the Super Bowl appearances and Championships won.

The Cowboys alone were in 8 S.Bowls in which they won 5.

They average 1 S.B every 5 years.

It'll be an interesting year. All four teams were aggressive and active in adding talent.

If I had to pick right now, I'd say that Dallas and Philadelphia are the class of the division, with NY in as a wild card. Dallas has a very tough D and obviously TO is a huge upgrade in the short-term. What would worry me about the Boys if I were a fan is that Bledsoe really degenerated late last year and the OL is aging. At some point this year Drew is going to have a few bad games, and it'll be interesting to see how TO reacts.

Philadelphia is the real wild card here. Everything that could go wrong last year did - bad personnel decisions, injuries all over the roster, the TO fiasco, etc. Just being healthy should get them to about .500. The D and O lines are both much better than last season, and I expect STs to be a lot better, too. Maybe I'm just being a homer but I expect they'll win 9-10 games because they're the only team in the division with a franchise QB.

New York made some significant moves on defense. Sooner or later Strahan and Tiki are going to age and that will leave some big holes. I'm just not sold on Eli Manning - he seems to have a pretty average NFL arm and he's not particularly accurate. He'll improve, but in the long run I think the Giants will find they traded a lot to get a good but not great quarterback. They do have good weapons in the skill positions. I could see NY winning 8-10.

Washington is the only team I don't have much hope for. They continued to overpay for free agents in the offseason and their QB situation is still murky. Why keep drafting QBs in round 1 if you're never going to play them? Gibbs is a terrific coach and he'll keep them competitive, but they keep neglecting the importance of the draft in favor of "name" signings that don't help much - no leadership or continuity on this team. Right around .500.

Really, any team in the NFC East could go 6-10 or 10-6. There isn't a clear dominant team here, but even the worst of the bunch was a playoff team last season. These divisional games are going to be brutal. Any team in the NFC East that goes 4-2 or better against its divisional opponents should have a real strong shot to win the div. because on paper at least, these look like some pretty close games.

lol @ the chiefs

the nfc east would go 64-0 if they played only the cheifs..

until kc gets a decent defense (they are improving though) they will never make much noise against playoff caliber teams