Sign in to follow this  
Timinator

Packers WRs

Javon is gone and Murphy, God bless him, is injured an out of the league. This leaves Donald Driver, Robt Ferguson and Rod Gardener. Could be worse, but not what I'd hope for. What are your thoughts?

Sink/swim with the young guys:

Can Greg Jennings crack the starting line-up?

Is Cory Rodgers any more than a return man?

What about NFLE headliner Chad Lucas?

Still looking for outside help:

Are the Packers hoping for a FA/June 1st guy?

Would Green Bay still trade for Stallworth/Lelie/other?

From everything I've heard about Jennings, he's polished enough to contribute at WR this season. In what role, I'm not sure. Obviously, Driver is option A. I'd guess they can get something out of Gardner. Ferguson is a non-factor in my opinion. Boerigtor, well, I'm not just not sure about.

Things aren't looking great, but they have some time to figure it out a bit.

Javon is gone and Murphy, God bless him, is injured an out of the league. This leaves Donald Driver, Robt Ferguson and Rod Gardener. Could be worse, but not what I'd hope for. What are your thoughts?

Sink/swim with the young guys:

Can Greg Jennings crack the starting line-up?

Is Cory Rodgers any more than a return man?

What about NFLE headliner Chad Lucas?

Still looking for outside help:

Are the Packers hoping for a FA/June 1st guy?

Would Green Bay still trade for Stallworth/Lelie/other?

Don't forget Marc Boerigter. I think you will see a top four of Driver, Gardner, Jennings, and Boerigter in that order. Ferguson as a #5/Special teamer or cut altogether.

My thought is.....Thompson blew it in the 2nd round.

I was elated when the pick came around thinking "Holy crap, we're about to get Chad Jackson handed to us" only to see them piss it away.

I loved the trade with Denver but the trade with New England never should have happened.

Please don't try to justify with all this talk about taking guys from the midwest who have experienced the bad weather. That's ludicrous. Why did Javon excel in Green Bay?.....he came from FSU.

I hope Greg Jennings is decent but they gave away Jackson only to reach for Jennings a little later. I think Thompson got a little "Deal" crazy.

Driver is a great possession rec with big play possibilities. Ferguson showed me something while he was healthy with a decent streak of TD's. Rod Gardner was a former first rounder with good size and can probably take Walkers place as Brett's "jump ball" guy. Not too sure about the rook's, but I really like what I've heard about Jennings. I'm not too nervous about the WR corp coming into this season...

Where does this group stand

On their feet? :cry:

Dang Javon, why couldn't you go with the Eags :banana:

Don't forget Marc Boerigter.

...and I did. Thanks, guys.

Here's a fun draft fact: Fergie was picked just ahead of Chris Chambers and Steve Smith. :cry:

i'm not sure you can count on jennings this year. history shows that a majority of rookie wrs face a sharp learning curve and it usually takes a couple of years to get their feet wet.

...and I did. Thanks, guys.

Here's a fun draft fact: Fergie was picked just ahead of Chris Chambers and Steve Smith. :wall:

heres an even funner fact...Freddie Mitchell was drafted ahead of Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Chris Chambers and Steve Smith

Freddie Mitchell was drafted ahead of Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Chris Chambers and Steve Smith

:sleep: :shocking:

Its hard to get too excited about that bunch, and I think the numbers will be pretty spread out so that they will make for crappy FF players. However as a group overall, I think they will be pretty solid and will give us quite a few different options. Favre has certainly made do with lesser WRs. We also have a lot more depth at that position than we have had in a long time and a couple injuries will not leave us in such a desparate position as we were in last year.

I don't really know much about the rookies, but they will certainly get their chances. I don't really expect Jennings to be a #2 man any time soon though - maybe a couple years from now.

PS. They need to rework Driver's contract and give the man a raise. Nothing extravegant, but he is our #1 WR and he has earned his keep.

Its hard to get too excited about that bunch, and I think the numbers will be pretty spread out so that they will make for crappy FF players. However as a group overall, I think they will be pretty solid and will give us quite a few different options. Favre has certainly made do with lesser WRs. We also have a lot more depth at that position than we have had in a long time and a couple injuries will not leave us in such a desparate position as we were in last year.

I don't really know much about the rookies, but they will certainly get their chances. I don't really expect Jennings to be a #2 man any time soon though - maybe a couple years from now.

PS. They need to rework Driver's contract and give the man a raise. Nothing extravegant, but he is our #1 WR and he has earned his keep.

driver is #1 by default now...but does that mean he should be paid like a legitimate #1? that's the vexing part.

I was elated when the pick came around thinking "Holy crap, we're about to get Chad Jackson handed to us" only to see them piss it away.

I loved the trade with Denver but the trade with New England never should have happened.

Please don't try to justify with all this talk about taking guys from the midwest who have experienced the bad weather. That's ludicrous. Why did Javon excel in Green Bay?.....he came from FSU.

I hope Greg Jennings is decent but they gave away Jackson only to reach for Jennings a little later. I think Thompson got a little "Deal" crazy.

You know, I've heard this in a few places, and I'm just not convinved that Thompson blew it. Seriously. Chad Jackson may well turn out to be a great WR, but if he is still there in round 2, there must be a reason right? I'm always wary of the workout warriors who vault up the draft boards after good workouts, wich seems to be what happened with Jackson.

I liken this to the Murphy pick last season. Lot's of people wondering about that pick, but it was working out prior to Murphy's injury.

Here's what NFL.com has to say about the two of them:

Jackson:

Overall, Chad is not a game-changing speed receiver, but he has all the tools and competitiveness to become a very good starting receiver in a season or two and will consitently get open, make all the catches, and make plays running after the catch.

Jennings:

Overall, Jennings is the type of receiver who usually ends up slipping a bit in the draft because he lacks the great height or elite 40-yard dash time that teams usually focus on. However, his athleticism will combine with his football intelligence and instincts to let him contribute sooner than nearly all the other receivers available this year. In the end, he will become a very good starting receiver that will make big plays when running after the catch and as a punt returner.

Is the difference really that great? Seems to me they're getting a similar player while adding more picks. Add into the fact that Jennings can contribute sooner, and that fits better with Green Bay on offense, since they need help right now and Favre won't be around forever.

You know, I've heard this in a few places, and I'm just not convinved that Thompson blew it. Seriously. Chad Jackson may well turn out to be a great WR, but if he is still there in round 2, there must be a reason right? I'm always wary of the workout warriors who vault up the draft boards after good workouts, wich seems to be what happened with Jackson.

I liken this to the Murphy pick last season. Lot's of people wondering about that pick, but it was working out prior to Murphy's injury.

Jackson:

Overall, Chad is not a game-changing speed receiver, but he has all the tools and competitiveness to become a very good starting receiver in a season or two and will consitently get open, make all the catches, and make plays running after the catch.

Jennings:

Overall, Jennings is the type of receiver who usually ends up slipping a bit in the draft because he lacks the great height or elite 40-yard dash time that teams usually focus on. However, his athleticism will combine with his football intelligence and instincts to let him contribute sooner than nearly all the other receivers available this year. In the end, he will become a very good starting receiver that will make big plays when running after the catch and as a punt returner.

Is the difference really that great? Seems to me they're getting a similar player while adding more picks. Add into the fact that Jennings can contribute sooner, and that fits better with Green Bay on offense, since they need help right now and Favre won't be around forever.

You can spin it either way.

- Why does any player drop?.......Leinart?......Justice? Seems a lot of guys fell from their predicted spots.

- Why did NE move up to get him? Belicheck must have seen something and Belicheck has done pretty well in the draft.

- Chad Jackson can contribute sooner because he played against great competition in the SEC so he's more ready for the NFL. He's had success against much better talent than Jennings who plays in the MAC.

- Check what nfldraftcountdown.com has to say about the 2 of them. Pretty small downside to Chad Jackson. I tried to copy and paste here but was unable.

Its hard to get too excited about that bunch, and I think the numbers will be pretty spread out so that they will make for crappy FF players.

I think Driver is in for a big year myself.

Pretty small downside to Chad Jackson. I tried to copy and paste here but was unable.

That may be true. However, my main point is, the difference between the two is not all that great. They may have given up slightly more potential in Jackson for a player who is pretty close, and landed another prospect in the process. I don't think the gap between Jackson and Jennings is all that wide. Just my opinion, and I'm a guy who thought Green Bay would take Jackson rather than trade.

- Chad Jackson can contribute sooner because he played against great competition in the SEC so he's more ready for the NFL. He's had success against much better talent than Jennings who plays in the MAC.

- Check what nfldraftcountdown.com has to say about the 2 of them. Pretty small downside to Chad Jackson. I tried to copy and paste here but was unable.

Just checked that out. It really is strange how different evluators rank guys. There's risk in either case. I'm just not sure that Jackson is so much more of a sure thing than Jennings, that Thompson made a bad move here. I would've been happy to see them land Jackson, but I'm definitely not upset that they traded down and got Jennings.

What's the track record on Florida WRs who are high draft picks ........... that's right horrible!!

I don't know much about Jennings, but Jackson's stock was dropping. I'm comfortable passing any Florida WRs. Packers still need help at WR I'm not expecting much from Jennings, it's difficult for rookie WRs to step in and make an impact. Hopefully the Pack can pick up a vet. WR prior to the start of the season.

I am a Packer homer but try to remain objective. Right now its kind of a question mark. We have the well established Donald Driver and after that we have potential. Rod Gardner was showng signs of hope last year. Marc Boerigter I dont see anything beyond a #3 or #4. Ferguson had opportunity after opportunity and didnt take advantage. I say the Pack gives him another shot to crack the starting lineup, but if hes still not up to par, its time for the new blood to step up. DUe to these issues, I would imagine that Greg Jennings would have a considerable amount of playing time in year one. I see him stepping in and contributing immediately. Realistically though I would imagine that the Packers would be looking at adding another veteran before the season begins. Like I said too many questions.

I am a Packer homer but try to remain objective. Right now its kind of a question mark. We have the well established Donald Driver and after that we have potential. Rod Gardner was showng signs of hope last year. Marc Boerigter I dont see anything beyond a #3 or #4. Ferguson had opportunity after opportunity and didnt take advantage. I say the Pack gives him another shot to crack the starting lineup, but if hes still not up to par, its time for the new blood to step up. DUe to these issues, I would imagine that Greg Jennings would have a considerable amount of playing time in year one. I see him stepping in and contributing immediately. Realistically though I would imagine that the Packers would be looking at adding another veteran before the season begins. Like I said too many questions.

I disagree about there being questions marks there. Driver performed as well as Walker did when Walker had his big year. Last year Ferguson regressed big time but I think that's due to Sherman losing the confidence of his team and the total lack of coaching when it came to developing his players. I see him as being serviceable this year. Jennings will take over the Chatman role & Gardner will see a good amount of time as well. I think we're better off than many people realize.

Jackson:

Jennings:

Agreed...I think Ted really looked more at guys whose "measurable" were not the most impressive...but what they did on the field is what made them stand out to him.