Sign in to follow this  
Arsenal

What would the NFL be like with no salary cap

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/...ol.22f7aab.html

The current CBA expires in March 2008. Failure to extend the agreement means the final year of the CBA would be an uncapped year. In 2006, each team is expected to operate under a $95 million salary cap.

No salary cap in 2007 would allow the big-market teams such as Chicago, Dallas, New York and Washington to spend whatever their owners deem necessary to compete for a championship.

But there are a couple of caveats. If the NFL reaches the uncapped year, players would not become free agents until they play in the NFL for six seasons. Under the current CBA, they can become free agents after four years. So there would be a smaller, older pool of players to sign in 2007.

Also, there'd be no minimum salaries. Every rookie in the NFL this season is entitled to a minimum salary of $230,000. Every veteran of four years is entitled to a minimum salary of $540,000. In an uncapped year, a team can pay rookies and veterans alike $100,000, $150,000, $200,000 ... whatever the player and team can agree upon as fair compensation.

There also wouldn't be a minimum a team must spend on player costs. Under the salary cap, it's roughly $50 million per club. In an uncapped year, a small-market team could opt to field a roster with a $30 million payroll.

Also, the NFL would no longer fund the insurance for the players. Nor would it fund pensions or 401(k) plans. Each side would be on its own in terms of job benefits. There also would be no provision for an NFL draft beyond 2008.

If you have any decency, you'll delete this post and hide the proof of your ugly, ignorant intolerance. :wacko:

That article is dated December 10, 2005. A new CBA was reached this year and extends for a number of years, I'm not sure how many but beyond 2010.

This is a focking joke right?

Gotta be. In related news there's a rival league forming called the USFL.

and with the 10th Selection in the 1982 Draft the Los Angeles Raiders select Marcus Allen USC Running Back...

Is this messing with us?

I also heard the NFL was gonna merge with the AFL, the league was going to get away from the leather helmets, and add a kind of protection ("facemask", as it were) to the new helmet. :cheers:

Labor daze: It's about the money

07:53 PM CST on Saturday, December 10, 2005

fixed

current economic reality reached on march 8, 2006

Posted 3/8/2006 4:43 PM Updated 3/9/2006 8:02 PM

Transcript: USA TODAY's Larry Weisman assessed the free-agent market, March 16

NFL owners accept player union proposal with 30-2 vote

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...-08-labor_x.htm

Guys, guys, I just heard there was a cosmic explosion that hurled matter into space forming our universe. :(

Guys, guys, I just heard there was a cosmic explosion that hurled matter into space forming our universe. :(

Link? :lol:

ib4tl :lol:

i think this otto graham fellow could possibly pan out for the Browns. i think he could be a good qb someday.

cant wait to watch him run the wishbone offense on my brand new 12' black and white tv i bought at Woolworth's last weekend :pointstosky:

Anyone hear about that movie coming out this week? The one about the Titanic? Supposed to be good. Get tickets in advance!

:banana:

Anyone hear about that movie coming out this week? The one about the Titanic? Supposed to be good. Get tickets in advance!

:banana:

Why would anyone want to watch that movie?!

Itisatipthatitsinks!

so if you were the colts, would you rather draft ryan leaf or peyton manning? they are so equal in talent, i cant decide which one is better. i'm leaning towards leaf, he's a little rough around the edges, but just has so much upside

Why would anyone want to watch that movie?!

Itisatipthatitsinks!

DUDE! I was gonna take the gal to see it this weekend. Now you've ruined it, just like this thread!

Hey, did y'all hear?

The new Pharoh has decreed Jews are no longer citizens and shall from this point on become slaves of Egypt.

I wonder what this does to Moses' draft value? :cry:

Hey, did y'all hear?

The new Pharoh has decreed Jews are no longer citizens and shall from this point on become slaves of Egypt.

I wonder what this does to Moses' draft value? :thumbsdown:

Best...thread...ever...

Now I have to go get one of those new Pet Rocks - I can't wait!

So what do you guys think about Steve Young? He sucked in Tampa, and he's got the impossible job of replacing Joe Montana, but I think he'll be OK. He might even make the Pro Bowl once or twice.

if the eagles dont draft ricky williams, i'll drive right up madison square garden and boo the sh*t out of whoever they draft :blink:

OK, some of his ideas sound a bit crazy. But I think this whole "Master Race" concept is gonna catch on in a big way.

is it just me, or does it look like barry bonds bulked up a bit recently?

i'm really loving this thread