Sign in to follow this  
Sweetness_34

Peter King and the 2000 draft

Let me start by saying that King clearly said at the outset that he has no clue who is going to be good or not immediately after the draft weekend. I still find some of the claims made really funny, now looking at it in hindsight. :pointstosky: And I also find that he nailed some of the predictions (Eg Shaun Alexander > Jamal Lewis)

Some hilarious predictions immediately following the 2000 draft:

Janikowski is the best kicking weapon to come out of college football, maybe ever.

Pick 89 overall, Corey Moore, will be one of those classic Bills picks (they always get a very good player after the first round, every year), the kind of player GMs will regret passing on

Love the pick of Tee Martin late in the fifth.

J.R. Redmond will be the every-down back by Oct. 1. Not bad for the 76th overall pick.

10. Cleveland. Courtney Brown is a draft.

16. Baltimore. I really like Chris Redman at 75 for the Ravens, but the 49ers were skeptical of the beating he's taken in college and the one he'll take as a pro.

20. Kansas City. I like Sylvester Morris.

22. Detroit. Stockar McDougle and Aaron Gibson will be pulling this year for James Stewart one play, some linebacker will get leveled by the 748 pounds of padded beef, and he'll file a lawsuit claiming cruel and unusual punishment.

Some really good predictions immediately following the 2000 draft:

To get Alexander at 19 -- he'll be a better pro than Ron Dayne -- and a monster blocker for him in McIntosh is a good draft if the Seahawks get no one else.

Good value in LB Keith Bulluck at 30. The Titans are the NFL's Linebacker U.

The 49ers did the right thing by passing on Pennington.

I like Laveranues Coles, who has Deion speed and, at 77 overall, is an almost riskless pick.

19. Denver. Deltha O'Neal is a better returner than corner; Denver needs him to be great at both jobs. Bill Romanowski, those are Ian Gold's footsteps you're feeling.

15. Giants. I do think Dayne's a plodder, which would be okay here if he had a line to open a hole for him.

21. Carolina. Top pick Rashard Anderson, a corner/safety, has hands of stone. Not a good quality for an interceptor.

I found this very funny too (obviously he had no clue Det would do the exact thing regarding WRs in the future)

2. I think the dumbest thing I heard pre-draft was this: The Detroit Lions would pick a running back in the first round to take some of the pressure off newly signed back James Stewart. What? You pay a guy $25 million and then you want to pick a back in the first round? THAT IS CERTIFIABLY, ABSOLUTELY LOONY. AND IF THE LIONS THOUGHT FOR THREE SECONDS ABOUT THIS, THEN THEY ARE SIMILARLY LOONY.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...4/16/king_mmqb/

At first I didn't think SF passing on Pennington was a good decision, but now that I think about it. Pennington only had 1 above average year.

20. Kansas City. I like Sylvester Morris.

I liked his potential as well :doublethumbsup: Too bad he had those knee injuries

I liked his potential as well :doublethumbsup: Too bad he had those knee injuries

I was pissed when Pittsburgh didn't take Pennington. Guess that worked out o.k.....

Isn't this the same guy who said Plummer would win an MVP in Denver?

:doublethumbsup:

There's all I need to know about his ability to judge NFL talent.

:huh:

The guy is a reporter, not a scout. He never claimed that he's a good judge of NFL talent. At least he's always entertaining.

The guy is a reporter, not a scout. He never claimed that he's a good judge of NFL talent. At least he's always entertaining.

True. As long as people don't take him seriously. He is always entertaining.

:wall:

for some of those positive reviews, they were supposed to be no-fail studs

im still confused about Tee Martin though, not sure how he could have said that was going to work out...

:blink:

Didn't Plummer come pretty close last year? I don't understand what the joke is.

Didn't Plummer come pretty close last year? I don't understand what the joke is.

He's been pimping Plummer since since Arizona drafted him.

I believe King called him the next Montana. :blink:

Shane didn't attack King for what he said when Plummer was in Az., he made fun of him for what King said as the QB in Denver, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there were a lot of people saying that Plummer deserved consideration for MVP last year.

Shane didn't attack King for what he said when Plummer was in Az., he made fun of him for what King said as the QB in Denver, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there were a lot of people saying that Plummer deserved consideration for MVP last year.

Last year, yes there were. But he's been predicting Plummer as the MVP pretty much every preseason for the past 5+ years.

Last year, yes there were. But he's been predicting Plummer as the MVP pretty much every preseason for the past 5+ years.

Look, I'm not saying that Peter King is a genius or anything, but you guys are way off on this one. He predicted that Plummer could be an MVP QB if given the right situation... AND HE WAS RIGHT!

that was surprisingly unfunny. B)

:huh:

agreed.

Peter King wasn't too far off with a lot of his comments here.

All these talking heads spew so much garbage, they'd be lucky to get 50% of what they say correct.

King seems like he made a few good calls with this article.

ETA: thank you Sweetness for posting this though. Although it was surprisingly unfunny, it WAS an interesting read. I'd like to see more of these "draft grades/analysis" from years past.

:first:

agreed.

All these talking heads spew so much garbage, they'd be lucky to get 50% of what they say correct.

ETA: thank you Sweetness for posting this though. Although it was surprisingly unfunny, it WAS an interesting read. I'd like to see more of these "draft grades/analysis" from years past.

kiper thought the lions should have taken leinart this year...but then i remember the draft day when the lions took ware and kiper gushed he was going to be a perennial all-pro.

and i also vividly remember him skewering the lions for "reaching" for the "overrated" and "slow" chris spielman in round 2...to which the lions d-coach at the time (forget who) retorted "the kid simply makes plays." :P

:blink:

agreed.

Agreed. It's an interesting read and I'm sure his predictions are no worse than any of the other guys we read/hear from.

huh, then what category do you put him in? he is a football columnist who writes exclusively about the nfl and each year writes columns grading each teams draft. and you are saying that "he never claimed that he's a good judge of NFL talent". he can't start a column by covering his ass and get away with it. if he is going to put in his two cents, he has to be willing to take his lumps.

i read king, because just like everyone else, sometimes he has some insightful views. and just like everyone else, he is wrong half the time.

regarding draft picks, i do like that he goes out and at least doesn't predict everyone in the first round is going to be a stud. just going by pure odds, over half the first round picks are have a better chance in being a failure than in succeeding. It is good to see someone reflect this in their evaluation of the draft.

And, don't forget that Mr. King will now be part of NBC's Football Night in America Sunday broadcast.