Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Packers' Kevin Barry out for the season?

Packers | Barry has torn quadriceps; may be out for season

Tue, 23 May 2006 09:54:34 -0700

Updating previous items, Lori Nickel, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers OL Kevin Barry (quad) has a torn quadriceps and could potentially be lost for the entire season. Barry suffered the injury Sunday, May 21, during the team's final minicamp practice.

KFFL.com

I heard a little blurb about that on Fox Sports Radio out of Madison this morning.

But with all the quality linemen the Packers have to spare...oh wait.

Packers | Barry has torn quadriceps; may be out for season

Tue, 23 May 2006 09:54:34 -0700

OL Kevin Barry

WHO???????????????????

WHO???????????????????

Backup OT, contender for one of the OG spots. He was used fairly often in tackle eligible plays, and really helped the run game.

Honestly, I did not get a good feeling about Barry even making it through camp this season. Yes, the guy was a solid contributor the last few years, but this staff was not impressed with his inability to cut down his weight. It was an ongoing issue, and one that likely would've cost him any shot at a starting job. I know the scheme thing has been beaten to death, but it really does favor lighter, more athletic guys. That is the exact opposite of Kevin Barry. I had high hopes for this guy, but I honestly don't think he is starting material on this team.

Links:

http://www.jsonline.com/blog/index.aspx?id...006&entry=19424

Kevin Barry was back at right tackle after working at right guard in the first camp, but said nobody told him the move was permanent. Barry said he lost about four pounds since the first camp, putting him at about

337, more than what the Packers want him to weigh.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25920099.shtml

Kevin Barry especially, but Will Whitticker as well, hurt their chances for winning starting jobs at the two open guard positions because they’re overweight for the new zone-blocking run scheme.

Barry figured to line up as the starter at right guard in minicamp but played behind second-year pro Junius Coston because he’s at least 20 pounds overweight. In the 340-pound range, Barry wasn’t quick enough to function well in Jagodzinski’s agility-oriented blocking scheme, which requires quickly getting to linebackers for second-level blocking. Jagodzinski wants him a little less than 320 pounds.

Honestly, I did not get a good feeling about Barry even making it through camp this season. Yes, the guy was a solid contributor the last few years, but this staff was not impressed with his inability to cut down his weight. It was an ongoing issue, and one that likely would've cost him any shot at a starting job. I know the scheme thing has been beaten to death, but it really does favor lighter, more athletic guys. That is the exact opposite of Kevin Barry. I had high hopes for this guy, but I honestly don't think he is starting material on this team.

Links:

http://www.jsonline.com/blog/index.aspx?id...006&entry=19424

Kevin Barry was back at right tackle after working at right guard in the first camp, but said nobody told him the move was permanent. Barry said he lost about four pounds since the first camp, putting him at about

337, more than what the Packers want him to weigh.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25920099.shtml

Kevin Barry especially, but Will Whitticker as well, hurt their chances for winning starting jobs at the two open guard positions because they’re overweight for the new zone-blocking run scheme.

Barry figured to line up as the starter at right guard in minicamp but played behind second-year pro Junius Coston because he’s at least 20 pounds overweight. In the 340-pound range, Barry wasn’t quick enough to function well in Jagodzinski’s agility-oriented blocking scheme, which requires quickly getting to linebackers for second-level blocking. Jagodzinski wants him a little less than 320 pounds.

beggars can't be choosers. the packers needed him this year. that line is razor-thin and so-so on the best of days, let alone losing ANYONE this early.

beggars can't be choosers. the packers needed him this year. that line is razor-thin and so-so on the best of days, let alone losing ANYONE this early.

I agree with Swamp....he actually had some decent experiance...and added great depth and could be a solid starter....they have some younger guys with talent but they arnt ready yet...

Backup OT, contender for one of the OG spots. He was used fairly often in tackle eligible plays, and really helped the run game.

Yes...he did in the U-71 package...however, that package was tossed out anyway once they started going with the zone blocking scheme.

As you said, he was a backup OT, competing to be an OG (but still not losing the weight they wanted him to lose).

Hurts depth for sure...that is what his value was.

The Packers needed him? For what? Are you predicting injuries to Tauscher or Clifton?

Yes...he did in the U-71 package...however, that package was tossed out anyway once they started going with the zone blocking scheme.

As you said, he was a backup OT, competing to be an OG (but still not losing the weight they wanted him to lose).

The Packers needed him? For what? Are you predicting injuries to Tauscher or Clifton?

lets get real....after last season an injury to a player that might have started....or been our number one backup this early in the season is scary....and does not sit well in my stomach and shouldnt in any other packer fans stomach either...

if the young guys cant cut it.....he would have been greatly needed...

Barry doesn't fit the new zone blocking scheme and came to camp out of shape. He was in danger of being cut outright. This is probably the best case scenario for all. Barry keeps his dignity, and the Packers can put him on IR and use the roster spot.

I'm actually not as concerned about the O-line as I was before the off-season started. Colledge is a stud and it looks like the Coston pick last year is paying dividends. If we were still lining up Klemm and Whittaker, I'd be more concerned.

Barry doesn't fit the new zone blocking scheme and came to came out of shape. He was in danger of being cut outright. This is probably the best case scenario for all. Barry keeps his dignity, and the Packers can put him on IR and use the roster spot.

I'm actually not as concerned about the O-line as I was before the off-season started. Colledge is a stud and I it looks like the Coston pick last year is paying dividends. If we were still lining up Klemm and Whittaker, I'd be more concerned.

Rookies and guys who didn't see any playing time last year are the answers.... :huh:

Im still very concerned about our LIne....

oh, please. all the realistic and honest packer homers here know this hurts.

what? you predicting the packers will carry only 5 lineman and only 5 lineman will play the entire season for them? :banana:

you don't have to defend to the death every, little thing. just admit this isn't good news and move on.

what? you predicting the packers will carry only 5 lineman and only 5 lineman will play the entire season for them? :banana:

you don't have to defend to the death every, little thing. just admit this isn't good news and move on.

I am supposed to proclaim that the sky is falling because an overweight backup lineman got hurt? :P

You want to know what I'm concerned about???? I'm extremely concerned about the running backs. I'm concerned about the wide receiver corps.

Yes, I'm concerned about the offensive line, but I don't see Barry as a solution to the problem anyway, so losing him is just like flushing the toilet....out with the big smelly stuff.

I am supposed to proclaim that the sky is falling because an overweight backup lineman got hurt? :banana:

You want to know what I'm concerned about???? I'm extremely concerned about the running backs. I'm concerned about the wide receiver corps.

Yes, I'm concerned about the offensive line, but I don't see Barry as a solution to the problem anyway, so losing him is just like flushing the toilet....out with the big smelly stuff.

again, beggars can't be choosers :P

He's no loss. Likely would not have even made the roster this year with new blocking scheme. Just another (GM) Sherman mistake. All he ever did was go try and fall on someone in the U71 package. He's a fat guy who can't pass block or basically move, unless at the buffet. He was tried at G because he couldn't play tackle. Goal line G. No loss.

He's a big manblocking mauler of a right tackle. I love the guy and he has a decent story being a seventh rounder from in the state, but let's get real. He was on the outside looking in. His skillset is limited. He wasn't going to play on the left side. He's an odd fit in the new system. He just didn't look to be a huge factor. Sorry to disappoint you swamp.

He's a loss for us, like Big Daddy is a loss for the kittens. He's just not the right fit. The Pack is going with the youth movement anyways. Coston and Colledge will shine. Moll getting some work at tackle and Spitz backing up the guards and center spot.

I'm not worried by this loss.

At first, I was worried. Now, I think this injury may actually help the team.

Instead of waiting for a solid, back-up RT (can't even back up LT) to lose weight or not, the team has to address the OL issue through free agency or trade. No more sitting on your butts. You may actually have to GM this thing before camp!

I like Barry, but I think anyone they might bring in would have a better shot at contributing to the scheme than he did.

lets get real....after last season an injury to a player that might have started....or been our number one backup this early in the season is scary....and does not sit well in my stomach and shouldnt in any other packer fans stomach either...

if the young guys cant cut it.....he would have been greatly needed...

Sure it is scary given Clifton and Tauscher have suffered serious injuries in the past.

but it is not the end of the world. Some are acting as if Clifton or Tauscher themselves are injurred rather than a backup.

what? you predicting the packers will carry only 5 lineman and only 5 lineman will play the entire season for them? :pointstosky:

Oh please? He is a backup Swamp. It hurts depth. Which is what I said. If Clifton or Tauscher get hurt....this hurts. Til then....it is exactly how I stated it.

Where do I eve say they will only carry 5 linemen? Just because I do not go jump off of a bridge when a backup gets hurt does not mean that.

You do not have to bash everything Packer like it is the end of the world. Just admit that it is a backup getting hurt and move on.

At first, I was worried. Now, I think this injury may actually help the team.

Instead of waiting for a solid, back-up RT (can't even back up LT) to lose weight or not, the team has to address the OL issue through free agency or trade. No more sitting on your butts. You may actually have to GM this thing before camp!

I like Barry, but I think anyone they might bring in would have a better shot at contributing to the scheme than he did.

Bingo....does anyone believe there will be someone available after June that will be as good as Barry? I would think there may be someone who brings just as much to the table as he does.

Despite Swamp's foolishness here....the fact remains this guy was a backup...one who was disappointing so far with his weight and handling the new scheme. Im not so sure he would have been cut...but it is a possibility. Losing him hurts depth...nothing more.

Speaking about Beggars can't be choosers.... I'd be more concerned about the Lions letting Joey go. He's terrible, but he's top-5 all-time for the Lions :D

On topic: Sorry to see a fat back-up getting hurt. :wall: