Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Royce Gracie vs. Matt Hughes

Any predictions for this weekends UFC match up?

Blood

I think Hughes...

Hughes can win a number of ways...

Decision, submission, KO

IMO, Gracie can only win with a submission.

Hughes will dominate this fight. No contest.

Gracie is undefeated in the octagon right? Hughes makes one mistake, and dude is in an armbar so fast his head will spin. :rolleyes:

Gracie is undefeated in the octagon right? Hughes makes one mistake, and dude is in an armbar so fast his head will spin. :rolleyes:

You could look at it that way...or you could look at it this way: Hughes will tie up, then toss Gracie to the matt, where he proceeds to pummel fock his face into a bloody submission mess. Or....Hughes will shoot a single, take Gracie to the matt, then proceed to pummel his face into submission, or Hughes will shoot a single or even a double, pick Gracie up, carry him to the center of the matt, then slam him violently to the matt, where he begins to pummel him into submission.

You could look at it that way...or you could look at it this way: Hughes will tie up, then toss Gracie to the matt, where he proceeds to pummel fock his face into a bloody submission mess. Or....Hughes will shoot a single, take Gracie to the matt, then proceed to pummel his face into submission, or Hughes will shoot a single or even a double, pick Gracie up, carry him to the center of the matt, then slam him violently to the matt, where he begins to pummel him into submission.

:blink: :rolleyes: However, I still like Gracie to win. Anybody know if Vegas puts out odds on these fights? If so what is it? ;)

Sooooo unless I'm mistaken you are pro Hughes right?

:blink: :rolleyes: However, I still like Gracie to win. Anybody know if Vegas puts out odds on these fights? If so what is it? ;)

I have no idea....i'd imagine that in a basic "Who wins" bet....Matt prolly pays $1 for every $3 bet, giv'r take a little.

Sooooo unless I'm mistaken you are pro Hughes right?

Ummm....yeah. My saying has always been "bet on the guy with cauliflower ear" when it comes to street fights. :wacko:

I have no idea....i'd imagine that in a basic "Who wins" bet....Matt prolly pays $1 for every $3 bet, giv'r take a little.

Ummm....yeah. My saying has always been "bet on the guy with cauliflower ear" when it comes to street fights. ;)

Good formula to me! :rolleyes:

I look at this, much the same way I'd look at a heavyweight boxer underdog that has "punchers chance".

The entire match, I think will be based on on Gracie trying to get an armbar, etc... and Hughes trying to avoid it.

So you think Hughes is around a 3-1 favorite? That sounds about right.

I suppose???? My guess is he'll be a "slight to moderate favorite".

I'm sure there are odds on "Submission" "Decision" and "KO".

I look at this, much the same way I'd look at a heavyweight boxer underdog that has "punchers chance".

The entire match, I think will be based on on Gracie trying to get an armbar, etc... and Hughes trying to avoid it.

Oh I totally agree with this assesment. :blink: I just remember watching Royce fight guys twice his size, get on his back in what looks like a defensive position (I forget what you call it) and then BAM! Snap this huge dudes elbow in half. I've vowed never to bet against him again.

Oh I totally agree with this assesment. :clap: I just remember watching Royce fight guys twice his size, get on his back in what looks like a defensive position (I forget what you call it) and then BAM! Snap this huge dudes elbow in half. I've vowed never to bet against him again.

Or fight him! :blink:

And this fight shouldn't be billed "The old man" vs. "the young gun" as I think some people see it.

I think Gracie is only 39, and I think Hughes is about 33. Not really a major difference.

Money line

MATT HUGHES -320

ROYCE GRACIE +240

Explain...

Money line

MATT HUGHES -320

ROYCE GRACIE +240

:blink: Thanks!

Hughes is about a 3-1 fav. Nice handicap DcOne.

I think that Gracie has lost his last three fights, but it's outside the UFC. I'll have to find a link.

I think this may be a lopsided pounding.

Explain...

In order to win $100 by betting on Hughes you must put up $320

But you can bet $100 and win $240 if you wager on Gracie.

I think that Gracie has lost his last three fights, but it's outside the UFC.

I think one loss was to Huck McGillicudy, in a bar located in Beecham County Alabama.

I think Barry Bonds could take em both! He is so huge and strong because of steroids he could head butt them with his 12 1/8 hat size head!

:headbanger:

alsoitsfridayyeah

You could look at it that way...or you could look at it this way: Hughes will tie up, then toss Gracie to the matt, where he proceeds to pummel fock his face into a bloody submission mess.

BINNNNGO.

Hughes had his choice of how to beat him. He's equivalent or superior to Royce in every style at this point in time. And had he beat him on his feet everyone would have said "well Royce is a ground fighter" so Hughes beat him at his own game. Just shows how far the sport has evolved.

So how did it end?

Royce Gracie on his stomach with Matt Hughes raining punches to the back of his head as Royce lay defenseless, until John MacCarthy stopped the fight.

I'll repost this, from similar topic:

Here is what happened.

The match began with both guys attempting some (what look liked) weak kicks...as they felt each other out. About 2 minutes in, Hughes threw a punch, while lunging at Gracie. Gracie was near the fence. The punch didn't connect, but now both guys were close enough to grab each other. They tied up, Hughes kinda pushed the action to the middle of the ring, where he took Gracie down.

Gracie was on his back...and Hughes was off the side (not directly over him--but that is where he was trying to get to--he only stayed off to Gracie's side). With about 2 minutes to go in the match, (Matt never did get all the way on top), he got Gracies left arm isolated and outstretched, and in perfect position for an armbar. He got the armbar, had it locked, with the fulcrum (the point of pressure) being on Gracies elbow. I am amazed Gracie didn't tap out. That is the one thing he should get credit for. The announcers said they thought it "popped". Dunno if it did or not.

Gracie got his arm loose, turn 1/4 turn, a little towards his stomach (his biggest mistake), Hughes hopped over, and was now riding Gracie. (Hughes stomach to Gracies back). That is the absolute WORST position you want to be in vs. Matt Hughes. You can't punch (like you can when you are face to face). You can't try for an armbar or choke (like you can when you are face to face). And..there is no focking way you are getting up unless Hughes let's you, the round ends or the ref calls stalemate.

Hughes then breaks Gracie down flat on his stomach (he started on his knees). Hughes then started throwing elbows and punches. It was Hughes right hand that did most of the damage. Grace tried to "cover up" the right side of his face with his arm...but Hughes alternated punches ---one OVER Gracie's arm, then Gracie would move his arm up a bit...then Hughes threw a punch UNDER Gracie's arm, then OVER, connecting on all of them---all rights. Then Hughes threw about 8 right-left-right left alternating punches, most of them landing also. Then the ref stopped it.