Sign in to follow this  
striker1z

Selling my house

Just got my first offer on my house today......its a 2000 sq ft, 4 bdrm, 2.5 bathroom house in SC, in a cul-de-sac in a great neighborhood, and with a huge, fenced back yard. I'm asking $187,500, with a view to come down to $185,000. A couple from NJ came 3 days in a row to look at it while they were here, and made their offer today. They are offering $178,000, want me to pay $2500 in closing costs, and want a contingency for the sale of their house, with a closing date as late as September 9th.

I have half a mind to not even counter. Even their RE agent told them that their offer was low. Never mind the contingency. I'm having a house built, which will be ready to close at the end of September, and if they think I'll have my house virtually off the market during the summer by having it under contract for 3 months, they must be smoking something.

Would you counter or let it go?

Just got my first offer on my house today......its a 2000 sq ft, 4 bdrm, 2.5 bathroom house in SC, in a cul-de-sac in a great neighborhood, and with a huge, fenced back yard. I'm asking $187,500, with a view to come down to $185,000. A couple from NJ came 3 days in a row to look at it while they were here, and made their offer today. They are offering $178,000, want me to pay $2500 in closing costs, and want a contingency for the sale of their house, with a closing date as late as September 9th.

I have half a mind to not even counter. Even their RE agent told them that their offer was low. Never mind the contingency. I'm having a house built, which will be ready to close at the end of September, and if they think I'll have my house virtually off the market during the summer by having it under contract for 3 months, they must be smoking something.

With a contingency you can keep it on the market. Then if you get an offer with no contingency the original buyer must come up with the money in like 2 weeks. Your agent should know how to write that up.

With a contingency you can keep it on the market. Then if you get an offer with no contingency the original buyer must come up with the money in like 2 weeks. Your agent should know how to write that up.

I know, but around here, if your house is under contract, most people won't even come to take a look. If this was another part of the year, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but with June and July typically being the best months to sell your house in SC, I don't want to miss out on potential buyers by having it tied up, only to find out that they couldn't sell their house in August.

Wowza....how the market differs from state to state...I have a 2000SF 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath in a great neighborhood as well...only in SW FLA...between Ft. Myers & Naples.....paid 316 last May and had it appraised at 430 K last month :first:

BOL on your decision.

can alwasy re counter with 5k more than what they offered.. no sense in turning it down.. if they looked 3 days in a row they like it. Since you are not in a real need to seel right now, recounter for at least 5k more. See what happens, they dont buy it so what.. 3-4 more months for you to sell..

Depends if you think you can get closer to your price.

HTH

Wowza....how the market differs from state to state...I have a 2000SF 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath in a great neighborhood as well...only in SW FLA...between Ft. Myers & Naples.....paid 316 last May and had it appraised at 430 K last month :first:

BOL on your decision.

appraisels dont mean sh1t!!

need a CMA to see what its really worth

Just sold our house in 5 days and in the process of prepping for the move. Had a similar situation.

Sounds like your prospective buyer has a better feel for how much negotiation room there typically is in a house. Last national average I saw showed properties selling 5-7% below asking price. 5% drop in yours is theright around $178,000. Just what my research showed.

We countered our prospect for more money, with a caveat on the contingency. House stays on market. If we get better $ offer they have 72 hours to match and drop the contingency. Basically gives them a chance to get theirs on the market and, if they're close to making a deal, push things a bit at crunch time. Turns out we eneded up selling to someone else, and don't know how real estate regs might change from state-to-state.

Good luck!

You can counter with something in the middle, say no to the extra closing costs, put a time limit on the contingency (say they have to sell within 30 days) and see where it goes.

How long has your house been on the market? Have you bought another? That all factors in. We wouldn't take a contingency at this point because we've already bought another house. It's all about what you can do.

Good luck. Selling a house sucks.

HTH

appraisels dont mean sh1t!!

need a CMA to see what its really worth

Your right swirven....if I were to list it today, i would list it for about 475K....and easily get 450...absolutely wild market down here in the last 5 years. Funny thing is, the lady I bought it from paid 165 almost 2 years to the day.

Your right swirven....if I were to list it today, i would list it for about 475K....and easily get 450...absolutely wild market down here in the last 5 years. Funny thing is, the lady I bought it from paid 165 almost 2 years to the day.

yep, you should know what you can get for yours by your neighbors recently sold. Appraisers just come out and appraiser it for whatever you or the mortage co wants it for. Really is a joke

If this couple is from New Jersey, they are thinking that they are getting a steal for $178,000 for that house, that would cost them probably $300,000 in NJ depending on the area. Don't let them lowball you and make sure you don't agree to basically having your house off the market through the summer. Have your realtor write something up that will say that you can accept other offers and if the other is better this couple needs to come up with the money asap or walk.

Wowza....how the market differs from state to state...I have a 2000SF 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath in a great neighborhood as well...only in SW FLA...between Ft. Myers & Naples.....paid 316 last May and had it appraised at 430 K last month :ninja:

BOL on your decision.

My grandfather just passed leaving my aunt and mother two condos in Naples. One on a golf course, maybe 250K and one with a view of the gulf in Vanderbuilt towers.

The Vanderbuilt Towers condo was purchase din 1972 for 32,500. Last sale of a 1 bedroom like this one went for 550K+. Naples has gone bananas in regards to market value.

15 year ago, I could have bought acres of dune/sand lots for nothing. Now they go for a couple hundred thousand apiece. Sad.

Counter- $176,000- not paying for closing costs, no contingency.

I wouldn't weight this one much as they could fock you over by locking you up with no guarantee of the sale of their house.

yep, you should know what you can get for yours by your neighbors recently sold. Appraisers just come out and appraiser it for whatever you or the mortage co wants it for. Really is a joke

:ninja:

I ended up talking to my RE agent again, and she is going to talk to their agent about no contingency. We also worked out the lowest price we will take, and worked out $185K, and I'll give them $2500 towards closing. They think that I've jacked the price up $10K because that's what the norm is up in NJ, according to them. We'll also keep it on the market, and they have 48 hours right of first refusal.

I don't want the contingency because I'm building a house, which should be ready by the end of September. My house has been on the market for a month. I'll see if they take it. If not, then I'll just reject their offer.

My grandfather just passed leaving my aunt and mother two condos in Naples. One on a golf course, maybe 250K and one with a view of the gulf in Vanderbuilt towers.

The Vanderbuilt Towers condo was purchase din 1972 for 32,500. Last sale of a 1 bedroom like this one went for 550K+. Naples has gone bananas in regards to market value.

Probie...I would think that house on a Golf Course in Naples is worth far more than 250 K...the land alone is probably 500K right now.

As for Vanderbilt Towers, I know that place well, did some work there last summer and the view of the GUlf does not get much better. I'd bet that Condo at Vanderbilt Towers is worth closer to 1 million now.

Why the name Bob Probert ??? We grew up just around the corner from Probie and some of my good friends have partied with him several times over the years.

And yes, I am originally from Windsor, ONT.

How much is the property tax?

Wowza....how the market differs from state to state...I have a 2000SF 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath in a great neighborhood as well...only in SW FLA...between Ft. Myers & Naples.....paid 316 last May and had it appraised at 430 K last month :banana:

BOL on your decision.

$1500 last year.

Got a counter offer from them today. They are offering $180,500, want $2500 in closing costs, and are ok with doing a July 30th close. I'm going to counter for the last time with either $180,500 and no closing costs, or $183,500 and I'll give them the $2500 in closing. We might actually be able to get this done. Of course, I'll still be able to show the house, and they'll have 48 hours right of first refusal.

Does this sound fair?

$1500 last year.

Got a counter offer from them today. They are offering $180,500, want $2500 in closing costs, and are ok with doing a July 30th close. I'm going to counter for the last time with either $180,500 and no closing costs, or $183,500 and I'll give them the $2500 in closing. We might actually be able to get this done. Of course, I'll still be able to show the house, and they'll have 48 hours right of first refusal.

Does this sound fair?

I don't really have a response to your offer but to your question about is it fair, who cares? What's fair? It's a free market and if you can get more take it. If they're willing to pay it it's "fair". I mean, I just sold my house that I owned for 5 years for 325k more than I paid for it. Is that fair?

I don't really have a response to your offer but to your question about is it fair, who cares? What's fair? It's a free market and if you can get more take it. If they're willing to pay it it's "fair". I mean, I just sold my house that I owned for 5 years for 325k more than I paid for it. Is that fair?

That's the problem.....I'm not sure if I can get more. My house has only been on the market for a month. This is the first offer I've received, although I have gotten a lot of comments that it is nice, and its clean. While I would love to wait and see if I will get more offers, I also don't want it to become mid August and not have received another offer, and then have to back out of the house I'm having built.

That's the problem.....I'm not sure if I can get more. My house has only been on the market for a month. This is the first offer I've received, although I have gotten a lot of comments that it is nice, and its clean. While I would love to wait and see if I will get more offers, I also don't want it to become mid August and not have received another offer, and then have to back out of the house I'm having built.

That's a little different. I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't take less than you can get out of guilt. If you think the price is good then take it, especially if you're making a decent profit. This is where hopefully your real estate agent can offer some guidance. They're supposed to help you maximize your profit since they supposedly know what things are going for. Plus, you can use a CMA to know if you're in the right neighborhood. Good Luck and cheers on the new house. :blink:

Probie...I would think that house on a Golf Course in Naples is worth far more than 250 K...the land alone is probably 500K right now.

As for Vanderbilt Towers, I know that place well, did some work there last summer and the view of the GUlf does not get much better. I'd bet that Condo at Vanderbilt Towers is worth closer to 1 million now.

Why the name Bob Probert ??? We grew up just around the corner from Probie and some of my good friends have partied with him several times over the years.

And yes, I am originally from Windsor, ONT.

The place on the golf course is a condo. and I think I mistyped, 350K is the number I meant.

as for Probert, we as kids were big fans of watching him enforce in Detroit. I grew up in N. Indiana.

That's a little different. I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't take less than you can get out of guilt. If you think the price is good then take it, especially if you're making a decent profit. This is where hopefully your real estate agent can offer some guidance. They're supposed to help you maximize your profit since they supposedly know what things are going for. Plus, you can use a CMA to know if you're in the right neighborhood. Good Luck and cheers on the new house. :blink:

Oh no, no guilt on my part....I just want to make sure that I don't turn them away with my counter-offer. In a way, it will be nice to have (for the most part) the sale wrapped up. CMAs for my house are a little tricky because of the square footage, it's 2-stories, and my back yard is pretty big, but they might actually have me coming ahead if I get what I'm countering with.

And thanks for the cheers on the new home......it's a little bit of an upgrade over the house we currently have, and will be only 20-30 minutes from my new job than the 80 minutes it takes me to get there now.

:blink:

Counter offer. They pay you the money, and you get both houses. Then bargain from there. It's normal in these sitchamations.

Without knowing all the details of the area you live in, the way you describe your street and home layout I think you are cheating yourself. I would have started out with a price of 225K or more. The only thing that could happen is someone will come in with a lower bid. And let me tell you this, those people from NJ know that your price is a steal. I wouldn't give them the upper hand in the negotiation process. There will always be another buyer. Your house sounds nice so I don't think you'll have a problem.

My in-law's are looking to buy a home in Myrtle beach. Are you near there? I'd like to see the listing. Could you please post a link to your home details. I'd like to show it to them.

I live in NJ and know all to well what they are thinking. Don't let them have the upper hand.

Good Luck!

$1500 last year.

Does this sound fair?

1500?

I have a 1200 sq ft 2 bed 1 bath valued at $49000 and pay 1100 in tazes.

1500?

I have a 1200 sq ft 2 bed 1 bath valued at $49000 and pay 1100 in tazes.

Wow.....which part of the country are you in? Where I'm moving to, I'm expecting my taxes to be about $1350 for a 2000 sq ft, $185K home.

Without knowing all the details of the area you live in, the way you describe your street and home layout I think you are cheating yourself. I would have started out with a price of 225K or more. The only thing that could happen is someone will come in with a lower bid. And let me tell you this, those people from NJ know that your price is a steal. I wouldn't give them the upper hand in the negotiation process. There will always be another buyer. Your house sounds nice so I don't think you'll have a problem.

My in-law's are looking to buy a home in Myrtle beach. Are you near there? I'd like to see the listing. Could you please post a link to your home details. I'd like to show it to them.

I live in NJ and know all to well what they are thinking. Don't let them have the upper hand.

Good Luck!

I couldn't ask for that much (I wish I could).....in my neiborhood, 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom houses go for $235K range. The last phase of my subdivison is being finished, and new homes about the same size as mine are going in the $180K range, so I couldn't as for over $190K. My RE agent was suggesing I list at $179,900, with a view to sell at $175,000. I told her to list at $187,500, with a view to sell around $185,000. I'm pretty happy that I'll probably be getting close to what I was thinking actually.

I'm in Columbia, so I'm a couple of hours from Myrtle Beach. I don't think your in-laws would be interested in living here.......not too much to do. They should also look in Charleston and Hilton Head....nice real estate there too.