Sign in to follow this  
SoloMatisse

Jerry Porter...DUMB pick league...Draft COMMENTARY...take 2.

well i have chosen... and it was painful, and tough. too many players to decide from, which i will refrain from saying on behalf of scooter. they will surely be drafted soon, and i will probably regret picking dunn, because his consistency will probably drop now that i pick him. seemed like the safest choice there.

geez i hope duckett gets traded....

well i have chosen... and it was painful, and tough. too many players to decide from, which i will refrain from saying on behalf of scooter. they will surely be drafted soon, and i will probably regret picking dunn, because his consistency will probably drop now that i pick him. seemed like the safest choice there.

Dunn was 1 of the 3 RB's I referred to before who I was surprised was still on the board given Parker and Foster were drafted first. I think you'll be happy with him as I think he'll have an even BIGGER role this year. That BIG FAT BACKUP running back just isn't in there long term plans.

As for my own pick. I'm extremely happy with Chambers. He's a far better #1 WR than I thought I was going to get this late in the 3rd. I think he's a dark horse to sneak into the top 3 fantasy WR's this year with You-Know-Who chucking the rock to him. He may not be quite as fast as Moss, but he's plenty fast and comparably athletic. I think those 2 are really gonna click and I see alot of upside here.

As for my own pick. I'm extremely happy with Chambers. He's a far better #1 WR than I thought I was going to get this late in the 3rd. I think he's a dark horse to sneak into the top 3 fantasy WR's this year with You-Know-Who chucking the rock to him. He may not be quite as fast as Moss, but he's plenty fast and comparably athletic. I think those 2 are really gonna click and I see alot of upside here.

chambers was the WR i was battling with....i wasnt sure if i should take him, or a safe #2 RB... i expect good numbers from chamber this year. C-pep can really wing it, and chambers can really catch it. should be a good duo.

Duckett better get traded

OK..I quit...I was suppose to get J.Lewis. That was my decision pick against JJ. :first: :wacko:

Oh well...I guess I'll stay. I really think this will be a great great value pick for you. DAMM!T!!!!!!!

Dunn is the guy I was torn between when I took Parker. I see him as an older Parker who's QB steals GL carries even if [player who shouldn't have been named] gets dealt as rumored.

It remains to be seen where the final choice I had is taken, but he's slipping far past where he should, IMHO.

ETA - Jamal Lewis is who I really, really wanted at 3.04 but couldn't pull the trigger. Health, poor 2 years of play, and a major competitor for carries had me too nervous for a RB2. I think he'll get back to 1500/9, but the risks outweighed the rewards.

Hard to think of FWP as a "safe" pick though so I probably shoulda just taken Jamal Lewis. :first:

Health, poor 2 years of play, and a major competitor for carries had me too nervous for a RB2.

Not much health, but I figured it was hard to have an off-season workout behind bars then try to be competitive. So I figured if he stayed off the pipe this off season, and with a chip on his shoulder, he would really bounce back this year.

Not much health, but I figured it was hard to have an off-season workout behind bars then try to be competitive. So I figured if he stayed off the pipe this off season, and with a chip on his shoulder, he would really bounce back this year.

Possible.

But it's also possible his best ball is behind him, despite his relative young age. One thing is for sure....this scoring system won't be friendly to Jamal. He'll be lucky to catch 15-20 passes ALL SEASON, in PPR he'll be at a big disadvantage since he's also never been a big TD guy. But if you're projecting him to reach career highs in rushing TD's....then I can see you're reasoning.

Personally, I'm not touching the guy in any of my drafts this year. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a decent pick. There is definitely upside there....alot of it actually.

There is definitely upside there....alot of it actually.

agreed - only 2 years removed from 2000 yards, and a new QB to open things up in the passing game.

downside is health, competition and the deterioration of that BALT O-Line that used to be the best in the game.

now they're solidly mediocre.

This is why I took rb rb with my 2.12 and 3.1 - Fwp gone, dunn gone, lewis gone, i'm sure Taylor and Foster would have been gone - - and I bet in the next 13 or so picks, a few more rb's will been taken off the board also, leaving me with the choice between fat guys, old guys, rbbc, and backups. I know I have three starting running backs that will receive the gl carries. P.S I still would have taken one of my top 7 receiver's, but I just couldn't pull the trigger with Boldin in my #8 wr spot.

I love it when guys are running late in the draft...they end up taking guys like Hines Ward and Fast Willie Parker. Someone wanna be late again so you can hustle in here and take BIG BEN??? :(

Sweetness...thats a solid lookin' trio....about 3 years ago. :cry:

Ace.......I see youre still viewing the fantasy football world thru those aquamarine colored glasses. Dont even think youre gonna get the guy throwing to your man there in the 3 hole........he's fallin' soon. ;)

Jocstrap....youve got LJ on your team.....why on earth would you take 2 MORE RBs??? LJ will put up twice as many #s as those other two RBs combined.....you blew it. God, I wished Id have drafted LJ #1 overall, so I could afford to throw away my next two picks . Deshaun Foster????? honestly......I hope you DONT know what youre doin'..........:cry:

Im likin how things are shapin' up here. All Ive got is Ron Brown in the RB stable.....hey Joc, can you loan me one of those RBs for a week or two.....???

Unbelievable...and I thought you guys knew what you were doin'...........

I love it when guys are running late in the draft...they end up taking guys like Hines Ward and Fast Willie Parker. Someone wanna be late again so you can hustle in here and take BIG BEN??? :(

Sweetness...thats a solid lookin' trio....about 3 years ago. :cry:

Ace.......I see youre still viewing the fantasy football world thru those aquamarine colored glasses. Dont even think youre gonna get the guy throwing to your man there in the 3 hole........he's fallin' soon. ;)

Jocstrap....youve got LJ on your team.....why on earth would you take 2 MORE RBs??? LJ will put up twice as many #s as those other two RBs combined.....you blew it. God, I wished Id have drafted LJ #1 overall, so I could afford to throw away my next two picks . Deshaun Foster????? honestly......I hope you DONT know what youre doin'..........:cry:

Im likin how things are shapin' up here. All Ive got is Ron Brown in the RB stable.....hey Joc, can you loan me one of those RBs for a week or two.....???

have you checked the scoring system lately matisse? try plugging in mike's projections with ward's numbers and you might be a little shocked compared to some of the other clowns that have been taken before him...looks like some have failed to capture the true meaning of this scoring system by doing NO research-lol...ward is a very safe pick there in this system..nice pick with gates...i was taking him there- suprised you drafted him

and guys can we speed this up a little bit...i promise to make a better effort to check-in every couple of hours and again i apologize for last nite...we have a guy about to go on vacation in a couple of weeks and me as well..i would like to get this done...this is slowly dragging it's feet

Jocstrap....youve got LJ on your team.....why on earth would you take 2 MORE RBs??? LJ will put up twice as many #s as those other two RBs combined.....you blew it. God, I wished Id have drafted LJ #1 overall, so I could afford to throw away my next two picks . Deshaun Foster????? honestly......I hope you DONT know what youre doin'..........

I could have gone Boldin and Ward then my #2 and #3 rb's would be ranked 32 and higher on my list. I just can't live with that period.

Or Chestor Taylor and Boldin - - then my #3 would still be ranked 32 or higher :cry: . Bottom line is my top 3 running backs are solid and that is a good foundation for me!

Yes Clash I agree with you - - let's speed this sucker up - - check the site 10X's daily or more:)

I love it when guys are running late in the draft...they end up taking guys like Hines Ward and Fast Willie Parker.

Schitzo much? You said you liked the FWP pick.

:blink:

I wasn't late at all - I judged what RBs were there, and who wasgood value for 3.4

My options were FWP, Dunn, JLew and a RB who's not yet been picked. If I went with a WR2 I would have grabbed Boldin, but I decided there were too many picks to gamble on that. I think you'll find that out soon enough as your options for a RB2 dwindle to the point that you'll be picking a guy who

1. is at the very hind end of the RB run

2. struggles to compete with other RB2s in terms of value/differential.

I believe that some of you are vastly overrating the PPR aspect - with RBs, it absolutely makes some more valuable than others. Westy Vs Jamal for example.

However with regards to ranking WRs higher than stud RBs, I think that is a flaw. All WRs get a point per reception, and the guy you grab as your WR2 is not going to be too far off of what you could have had in the 4th if you'd taken a RB2 there. And I think the dropoff you get at RB2 (unless you get very very lucky) is going to be greater than the dropoff you'd have had at WR2 if you'd waited.

And the fact that we start 3 WRs really neutralized the PPR value, IMO. If you have 2 solid WR2's, they will, on a typical week, make up for having a WR1 and a WR3. The same cannot be said of your starting RBs.

Just one man's opinion, but especially when picking in a high spot, it seems imparative to take 2 Rbs in the 1st 3 rounds, PPR or not.

Really a matter of philosophy, but I'm open to hearing counter arguments from the peanut gallery. :banana:

If either R. Bush or C. Taylor fell to me, I would have given them serious consideration.

I'm sure you meant Kenny G cause we don't mention unpicked players in this league.

Solo, because you're a fan, if you win this league, I will burn you a copy of your favorite Kenny G cd.

:D that would be just too cool................

I love it when guys are running late in the draft...they end up taking guys like Hines Ward and Fast Willie Parker. Someone wanna be late again so you can hustle in here and take BIG BEN??? :blink:

Sweetness...thats a solid lookin' trio....about 3 years ago. :banana:

Jocstrap....youve got LJ on your team.....why on earth would you take 2 MORE RBs??? LJ will put up twice as many #s as those other two RBs combined.....you blew it. God, I wished Id have drafted LJ #1 overall, so I could afford to throw away my next two picks . Deshaun Foster????? honestly......I hope you DONT know what youre doin'..........:wacko:

guys im just kidding around with these obvious fishing trip comments.........dont take any of these very serious..... :wacko:

and Im all about speeding this thing up as well.........

Dont want to get all 'schizo'ed out...............slacker.

we have a guy about to go on vacation in a couple of weeks

A week from today actually. At this exact time, I will be checking in to the PoP Century Hotel.

Just one man's opinion, but especially when picking in a high spot, it seems imparative to take 2 Rbs in the 1st 3 rounds, PPR or not.

Really a matter of philosophy, but I'm open to hearing counter arguments from the peanut gallery. :banana:

Why does it seem like nobody is paying attention to draft stadegies?

It alway seems easier if your able to draft and stud at the top. Picking at the bottom seems to play more into a philosophy as well as the scoring system. Just my .02

A week from today actually. At this exact time, I will be checking in to the PoP Century Hotel.

Make reservations to have dinner at Ohana one night. It's a restaurant located inside the Polynesian Resort (which is on the monorail system that connects to Disney). The kids will enjoy it and the food is great....best of all it's all you can eat.

Anybody seen Steel City around? You're on the clock!!!!!

Make reservations to have dinner at Ohana one night. It's a restaurant located inside the Polynesian Resort (which is on the monorail system that connects to Disney). The kids will enjoy it and the food is great....best of all it's all you can eat.

We got the Disney passport system and laid everything out as far as food pretty much. 2 character dinners (which we had to book along time ago) italian and japanese at epcot...coral reef....and brown derby, I think.

I'm getting ready to split from work...I'll be back in a couple of hours...I'm pretty sure of my next pick, even though you bunch of butth0les won't like it..it makes me happy?

Did you literally mean 12 hours per pick :rolleyes: 12 X 12 X 20 ==2,880 hours (twelve picks by 12 people by 20 rounds I think :rolleyes: ) 2880 hours divided by 24 hours in a day = 120 days :D 160 days and 3 hrs til kickoff - - We are ok!

NOW LET'S GET A MOVE ON BOYS!

Oh yea - I'm giving a team by team Jocstrap analysis once round 5 is completed then 10, and so on...

I know you will be looking forward to honest team by team analysis and opinion and yes rankings! Get you some of that!

Some of us have to work without viewing FFToday. :ninja:

Back from work & ready to roll. If we are all here this evening, I'm up for thrashing out as much as we can.

:headbanger:

Changed my team name to Steel City Blues on the web site last week by the way. Thought it would make things easier to follow.

Viagara backed out as my sponsor.

Some of us have to work without viewing FFToday. :headbanger:

Back from work & ready to roll. If we are all here this evening, I'm up for thrashing out as much as we can.

Me too. My friday. Stick around Steel, I will round the corner fast. I have a 3 player short list to make two picks.

I have a few mottos:

todays RB is worth the WR taken a round earlier tomorrow.

throw your hat out the window and you'll hit a WR to start in ff.

coaches influence franchises more than is given credit for.

Actually my Dillon pick was a complete "cover you A$$" pick with a little PPR value...cause:

1. It's freaking June. I've never had a draft this early and I'm afraid of any one of my RBs getting injured during camp or preseason.

2. Needed a definate starter to cover bye weeks.

3. According to my rankings, everybody after Dillon is injured, injury prone, or RBBC.

4. Since I had the 11 pick, and everybody here is intellegent, so all the studs were gone, so in my rankings, I was able to get a 2 tier in Johnson, and 4th tier in JJ (plus the risk). I figured another 4th tier would help in case one of the others don't work out.

5. I have some recievers on my list that I'm hoping will fall to me next time around...which should be around Friday...LOL

Steel...I really really like that Droughns pick...I just didn't have the balls.

Steel...I really really like that Droughns pick...

Ace is up!

I have a few mottos:

todays RB is worth the WR taken a round earlier tomorrow.

throw your hat out the window and you'll hit a WR to start in ff.

coaches influence franchises more than is given credit for.

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Dunn is the guy I was torn between when I took Parker. I see him as an older Parker who's QB steals GL carries even if [player who shouldn't have been named] gets dealt as rumored.

Dunn still doesn't get the respect. what's new..

If we are all here this evening, I'm up for thrashing out as much as we can.

Lets get this SOB moving tonight! Also, if I can't pick by 11:00 am est tomorrow, I will not be able to until 9:00pm. I apologize in advance if that scenario happens.

Dunn still doesn't get the respect. what's new..

he gets plenty from me. But for now [RBtbnl] is still in the mix, and even if not, [QBtbnl] takes away TD opportunities. added to that he's on the wrong side of 30 for a 3rd round RB and I didn't feel comfortable.

I just saw Parker as having more upside and less injury risk - doesn't mean I don't think Dunn is good for another 1000+ 4-7 TD season with 30/300+ rec.

Believe you me, had FWP been taken at the turn, Dunn would be on my roster right now. :doublethumbsup:

As for the KJones pick, I actually almost took him at 3.04. The word of his catching 100 balls a day in practice bodes well. But I got BURNED at 2.11 (where the geniuses of FFT told me I had "the steal fo the draft" and I decided to pass on him. I can't take another season of watching the guy get a bruise on his widddwle arm and be taken out after 5 carries.

Too much headache and uncertaintly with that pick. I KNOW the steelers are going to run the ball...I have no idea what Martz will do with that offense, but I've never been a fan of his. I think he was able to take a team that D!ck Vermiel built to the superbowl and hasn't accomplished jack on his own except subsequently run that same team into the ground.

And he has nowhere near the talent to work with on this year's lions. Sure, a coach can make a difference. But when you get lemons, often you make lemonade. Uh, or something.

Still - KJ has strong upside...I love watching him flatten defenders (like Ray Lewis - man that was sweet...put him on his a$$) and he's surprisingly elusive for a man that stout. But I don't think I'd trust him as a RB2 this year. I could see him making me regret that.

As for the KJones pick, I actually almost took him at 3.04.

I think the guy has a world of talent and he is one of my keepers in another league, so I wan't going to pick him here. I couldn't stand owning in two leagues and watching him tank again, if that happens.

I think the guy has a world of talent and he is one of my keepers in another league, so I wan't going to pick him here. I couldn't stand owning in two leagues and watching him tank again, if that happens.

yea i had him last year and he burnt me...i didnt have the balls to take him this year, especially in a martz offense where they will throw 2-3 times per 4 downs. but the guy has a big upside, so its a good spot to take him. i just had to stick with the safe pick of warrick dunn (please dont fail me now warrick).

well i left for a a couple of hours or so and we made some progress :doublethumbsup:....lets keep this thing goin!

My options were FWP, Dunn, JLew and a RB who's not yet been picked. If I went with a WR2 I would have grabbed Boldin, but I decided there were too many picks to gamble on that. I think you'll find that out soon enough as your options for a RB2 dwindle to the point that you'll be picking a guy who

1. is at the very hind end of the RB run

2. struggles to compete with other RB2s in terms of value/differential.

I believe that some of you are vastly overrating the PPR aspect - with RBs, it absolutely makes some more valuable than others. Westy Vs Jamal for example.

However with regards to ranking WRs higher than stud RBs, I think that is a flaw. All WRs get a point per reception, and the guy you grab as your WR2 is not going to be too far off of what you could have had in the 4th if you'd taken a RB2 there. And I think the dropoff you get at RB2 (unless you get very very lucky) is going to be greater than the dropoff you'd have had at WR2 if you'd waited.

And the fact that we start 3 WRs really neutralized the PPR value, IMO. If you have 2 solid WR2's, they will, on a typical week, make up for having a WR1 and a WR3. The same cannot be said of your starting RBs.

Really a matter of philosophy, but I'm open to hearing counter arguments from the peanut gallery. :wub:

Good post to rattle off some FF discussion. :ninja:

FWP was arguably a good pick @ 2.04 to reach for here because of who will be left when you pick next. However, all those RB reaches in the early third round allowed Gates and excellent WR value to slip all the way to 3.10. You simply have to judge whether you like FWP + (value a tier lower than Boldin-Wayne) or a Boldin + a value RB to be named later. Clearly you like the first option & I can't blame you for that. Unfortunately, you have the same value RB as the next 4+ selected. Not gaining on the competition there while losing some value in WR.

REWIND to round 2. We put Joc in a tight position by taking all of the top WR talent + Peyton in lieu of #2 running backs. Anyone with LJ doesn't need a gift pair of WR like Moss & Harrison to fall to him at the turn. Instead, Joc bled RB theorist by taking the 2 RB. No way he does this if we let even one of those WR go.

I still haven't seen anything to convince me that Westy was a bad pick @ 1.10.

1. Your argument that he should be there for me in round 2 was off. Yippie would have taken him 2 picks later.

2. 60+ receptions is = to 10 Touchdowns in our league. Whomever doesn't see Westy as a top 10 RB in a PPR league is beyond me.

3. Using Mike's early projected numbers, Westy will outscore the likes of Portis, Rudi, Edge & Caddy. That should make you :cry:

4. Under valuing RB that catch bou-coup passes in a PPR league is something I take advantage of in my home league. Not what I'd expect here.

Jocstrap checking in laaater and I can see we've taken some rb's and wr's but what the heck is the holdup again- -

Man law - if you know you are not going to be around the computer for lets say 10 hours during the daylight hours, just let the league know. Hey this is Jocstrap i'm not checking the computer all day tomorrow just thought it would be nice to let you gungho, zero attention span, nothing in life but fantasy football, sob's in on that info - THANKS! :thumbsdown:

It's all about the communication :lol:

Good post to rattle off some FF discussion. :thumbsup:

FWP was arguably a good pick @ 3.04 to reach for here because of who will be left when you pick next. However, all those RB reaches in the early third round allowed Gates and excellent WR value to slip all the way to 3.10. You simply have to judge whether you like FWP + (value a tier lower than Boldin-Wayne) or a Boldin + a value RB to be named later. Clearly you like the first option & I can't blame you for that. Unfortunately, you have the same value RB as the next 4+ selected. Not gaining on the competition there while losing some value in WR.

I disagree - I think Parker will improve significantly without Bettis there. the only risk is that one of the backups plays a bigger role than I think, but they sure didn't step up last year when the Bus was hurt.

The thing abou FWP that I've held out on commenting on until now that he's off the board is that at 201 lbs, he's surprisingly powerful between the tackles. He's got a burst that if he hits the hole, he's gone. Dunn is still fast, but not as fast - and as mentioned he has more competition. Without the Bus, I think Parker has 1700 total yards and 7-10 TDs.

I seriously doubt than anyone but Dunn, Kevin Jones, Reuben Droughns or Jamal Lewis matches FWP's production, especially in a PPR league. And if [disfigured QB to be named later] doesn't play well, the Steelers will lean even more on the run than normally. I think FWP is a mid-second round value at 3.04

One man's opinion.

REWIND to round 2. We put Joc in a tight position by taking all of the top WR talent + Peyton in lieu of #2 running backs. Anyone with LJ doesn't need a gift pair of WR like Moss & Harrison to fall to him at the turn. Instead, Joc bled RB theorist by taking the 2 RB. No way he does this if we let even one of those WR go.

100% agree with this statement and was thinking the same when the n00b picked Harrison. I was rolling. I knew that if Harrison slipped to 2.12, Joc would be immediately dangerous as hell - LJ/MH is the stuff of football championships. As it is, he's got some work to do still. ;)

I still haven't seen anything to convince me that Westy was a bad pick @ 1.10.

I think it was a bit of a reach, but hey. no moreso than Ronnie Touchdown Brown at the 5 spot.

1. Your argument that he should be there for me in round 2 was off. Yippie would have taken him 2 picks later.

2. 60+ receptions is = to 10 Touchdowns in our league. Whomever doesn't see Westy as a top 10 RB in a PPR league is beyond me.

Yeah, but you two are the exception to the rule I think. If he made it past you two I think he might have gotten to solo at least. He definately wouldn't have made it past me. And for the record, it's not that I don't see him as a top 10 RB. I completely do. I just don't see him as a 1st round pick. Taking him in the 1st round sort of kills his value, which is a 2nd rounder who can put up 1st round numbers. Hopefully you get what I'm saying on that...

The thing is that his propensity for injury knocks him out of the 1st round, IMO. I could see going RB1/Westy at 1.12 and 2.01, but 1.10? I think there were better picks there. I fully realize his value in a PPR league - I am all about PPR and Westy is a stud. But as of now, Westbrook is the scariest player on that offense and you and I both know well that defenses are going to key in on him. Wouldn't you if you were an opposing DC? So now not only does Westbrook have the increaded touches that has you giddy, but he has more trouble finding room, which should counter your giddyness a bit. And more hits by defenses means more injuries for a guy who's had trouble staying healthy.

Again, different strokes for different folks, but it seems like the cards are stacked against him a bit this year. QB coming off serious injury; injury prone; lack of quality WRs on the team; defenses keyed on him; tough division...tough call as a RB1 IMO. I took a risk/reward approach to FWParker - I think you did the same with Westy, but 2 rounds earlier.

3. Using Mike's early projected numbers, Westy will outscore the likes of Portis, Rudi, Edge & Caddy. That should make you :cry:

All due respect to Mike, who I like a lot, but he pojected Barlow for a pro-bowl season in 2003. How'd that work out? Those who listened to your boy Mike were the one's :cry:

I seriously seriously doubt that Westbrook finishes the season being woth more than Portis, who I actually might have grabbed at the 3 spot. And LT2 is my favorite player. I think Saunders will actually recognize how to use Portis, who in a lot of ways is similar to the old KC RB. Using CP as a battering ram is not the way to go and the Skins are figuring that out - Saunders will take him to the edge, and he'll get more yards out of him on less carries. He also said something about emphasizing the screen more - again, something he was extremely successful with in KC. I see the Redskins and Chargers as teams in opposite directions this year. Chargers are re-tooling, and seeing what they've really got in Rivers. Redskins seem to have found an identity and should be a very stout offense. And with Lloyd and Randal El to diversify the offense even more, I expect a big big season from CP.

No lie.

4. Under valuing RB that catch bou-coup passes in a PPR league is something I take advantage of in my home league. Not what I'd expect here.

Again, I don't see it as a coup. I see it as an extremely risky play. So neither of us are really right or wrong - just different tollerances for risk. I don't see the value of Westy on my IR slot, so I project him a little differently than you & Mike. You think he'll stay healthy and be a monster - and on that I agree...when he's healthy, he's a monster.

All in all, it comes back to what I said earlier about 2 RBs in the 1st 3 rounds - philosophy.

Oh, and for the record, Gates was a decent, but unspectacular pick given the mystery that is the new-look Chagers offense. Ballsy, but again - I am not a huge risk taker. I consider FWP a risk...that's how skittish I am. :ninja:

right...........Mike's projections.....he probably had Larry Johnson ranked about 32nd last year. The only projections experts need are their own. Im with you, Scoot. We think for ourselves around here in the big leagues. You took FWP because you know Pitt will be top 3 in rushing at year's end, and fast Willie will have alot to do with that. So good call.

Now, Noone knows what San Diego is going to do, including myself, but some of us know what Antonio Gates is going to do.........dominate a league that he's been dominating for 2 years now. SD led the league in rushing D and has the best back in the NFL on O.....I dont care who's QBing this team....it could be Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton for all I care, Gates will blow up on cue like he always does. Dont think otherwise. So dont be shocked when I reach for a newbie as a starting QB in the 10th round......because everyone else isnt really sure.......its what seperates the men from the boys........NOT thinking safe.

...........and God, this slow pick SH@# is wearing me the F@@@ out! Step it up guys....slow draft does not mean MONTH AND A HALF draft.

Sorry if my pick took a bit.....just got home.

I'm very happy with Chambers and Plax as my #1 and #2 WR's respectively....I was planning on taking K Jones or R. Droughns (those were the other 2 of the 3 RB's that I liked) but since they both went before my 4.04 pick....it made my decision much easier.

I love love love love love the K Jones pick. While Gates, to me, was the best pick of the round.....K Jones offered probably the best value. I have little doubt he's going to outproduce at least a handful of the other RB's taken before him. I almost took him at 3.09 but i knew there wasn't a chance in you-know-where that Chambers would make it back to me. Good job on all the turn picks....Wayne was another solid choice. I think this is the year he finally outproduces Harrison.

I disagree - I think Parker will improve significantly without Bettis there. the only risk is that one of the backups plays a bigger role than I think, but they sure didn't step up last year when the Bus was hurt.

The thing abou FWP that I've held out on commenting on until now that he's off the board is that at 201 lbs, he's surprisingly powerful between the tackles. He's got a burst that if he hits the hole, he's gone. Dunn is still fast, but not as fast - and as mentioned he has more competition. Without the Bus, I think Parker has 1700 total yards and 7-10 TDs.

I seriously doubt than anyone but Dunn, Kevin Jones, Reuben Droughns or Jamal Lewis matches FWP's production, especially in a PPR league. And if [disfigured QB to be named later] doesn't play well, the Steelers will lean even more on the run than normally. I think FWP is a mid-second round value at 3.04

I didn't say FWP was a bad pick. Just showing some consequences. If you had taken a Boldin/Gates/Chambers, I probably would have been forced to go RB in round 3 (would have been a guy relatively equal to Droughns that I picked in the 4th. plus who knows??? another WR, gone TE or QB...taken another #2 type RB. Either way, the guy I get in the 4th is definitely < Wayne. I'd say my Ace & my team benefitted the most from the early 3rd RB run. Both of us are just a little better for it.

I think it was a bit of a reach, but hey. no moreso than Ronnie Touchdown Brown at the 5 spot.

Yeah, but you two are the exception to the rule I think. If he made it past you two I think he might have gotten to solo at least. He definately wouldn't have made it past me. And for the record, it's not that I don't see him as a top 10 RB. I completely do. I just don't see him as a 1st round pick. Taking him in the 1st round sort of kills his value, which is a 2nd rounder who can put up 1st round numbers. Hopefully you get what I'm saying on that...

I understand what you are saying 100%, but I also recognize that the FFToday people studing player values in early summer must see it too. Standard ADP from mocks don't hold as much weight when the owners are on top of their game. That's a compliment to all here btw.

How it helps us gain an edge in OTHER leagues, is to emphasize undervalued players. It sounds like you also project Westy to put up better numbers than guys drafted ahead of him. Me not beeing a sheep to ADP from weak drafters is :thumbsup:

There are only 2 reasons I'd pass on Westy at 1.10.

A. If my gut said the guys drafting behind me were going to let him slide. (Might have done this if the guy who said he's going TO + Steve Smith was picking 11 or 12.)

B. If my concern over Westy getting injured > Rudi et all...

The thing is that his propensity for injury knocks him out of the 1st round, IMO. I could see going RB1/Westy at 1.12 and 2.01, but 1.10? I think there were better picks there. I fully realize his value in a PPR league - I am all about PPR and Westy is a stud. But as of now, Westbrook is the scariest player on that offense and you and I both know well that defenses are going to key in on him. Wouldn't you if you were an opposing DC? So now not only does Westbrook have the increaded touches that has you giddy, but he has more trouble finding room, which should counter your giddyness a bit. And more hits by defenses means more injuries for a guy who's had trouble staying healthy.

Again, different strokes for different folks, but it seems like the cards are stacked against him a bit this year. QB coming off serious injury; injury prone; lack of quality WRs on the team; defenses keyed on him; tough division...tough call as a RB1 IMO. I took a risk/reward approach to FWParker - I think you did the same with Westy, but 2 rounds earlier.

His propensity for injury doesn't scare me. I've followed him for years. As you say, teams key on him, but Philly designs plays to put Westy in space where he can be effective. That is why he catches so many passes instead of handing it off to him 300 times in a season. The guy is electric and flat out makes plays. I'm not all that giddy about an increased role in the offense this year. Just even keel from prior years is what I project which is lowballing his potential.

All due respect to Mike, who I like a lot, but he pojected Barlow for a pro-bowl season in 2003. How'd that work out? Those who listened to your boy Mike were the one's :ninja:

I was just emphasizing a point. I would take Portis over Westy any day. Besides, Steve Smith would be on my team if I agreed with Mike.

Now, Noone knows what San Diego is going to do, including myself, but some of us know what Antonio Gates is going to do.........dominate a league that he's been dominating for 2 years now. SD led the league in rushing D and has the best back in the NFL on O.....I dont care who's QBing this team....it could be Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton for all I care, Gates will blow up on cue like he always does. Dont think otherwise. So dont be shocked when I reach for a newbie as a starting QB in the 10th round......because everyone else isnt really sure.......its what seperates the men from the boys........NOT thinking safe.

...........and God, this slow pick SH@# is wearing me the F@@@ out! Step it up guys....slow draft does not mean MONTH AND A HALF draft.

I am not positive about that. LT2 is a better dump off.

I think Gates will be solid - I peg him for 1100/9. I think he can do that in his sleep.

While better than most WRs left on the board, I agree that he was probably the best receiver left considering the TDs.

But with a 1st year starter, I'm not so sure that Martyball won't come back in a big big way. Gates is the best receiver on the team, but LT2 is going to shoulder a lot of that offense.

Again, you could be right, I could be right. I think Dunn was a much better pick for you. If you were going to go with risk, I would have expected to see Jamal Lewis on your roster right now. Either way, since Ronnie Brown was a risky pick, I guess I expected you to play it safe in the 3rd after going WR in the 2nd. And Owens isn't guarenteed to be out of the doghouse all year - a little risk there too. Enjoyable draft to watch. It's going to be fun to see how it pans out.

no questioning Gates' talent, but if the Chargers return to Martyball, Gates will be worth a top tier WR2/bottom tier WR1, and you've spent about that for him at 3.05. I don't see it as a steal, but I do see it as even value for where you took him.

There's a lot less of a gap between the #1 TE and the #10 TE this year. Even 11 & 12 might not be too far off when all is said & done.

There's a lot less of a gap between the #1 TE and the #10 TE this year. Even 11 & 12 might not be too far off when all is said & done.

:thumbsup: There really isn't much difference..

If the TE position keeps evolving at its present rate in the NFL, I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 TE starting line-ups in future fantasy leagues..

Ellison is on the clock!

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I see alot of people on the main forum saying "this is the year to wait on a TE"....."there won't be much difference between 1-10".....etc etc etc.

Sorry....I'm not buying it. Gates and (one, possibly 2 other guys) are HEAD and SHOULDERS above everyone else. Getting WR production from the TE slot is the equivalent of having a catcher that hits 30 home runs and gets 110 RBI's in fantasy baseball. The relative spread between the TE's will be such an advantage that anything you get from your receivers will be gravy. It's a huge advantage and I wish Gates would have fallen to me.

There's a couple of guys that keep getting mentioned (that I can't talk about yet cause they haven't been drafted) that are getting WAAAYYYYY too much man-love on the main board. IMO the position isn't anywhere near as deep as what most think.

Look - I see Gates as 95/1100 with 8-11 TDs

I have a list of projections for other TEs, - And without names, here it is:

2. 87/1040/6

3. 85/1000/7

4. 80/900/9

5. 77/770/7

6. 83/730/7

7. 68/780/6

8. 65/830/5

9. 64/710/7

10. 66/690/5

There's 3 more who didn't make the top 10 in my projections who are extremely close.

Here's 2005's numbers (again, without names) just so you can see where my projections are coming from and why they're not outrageous...

1. 89/1101/10 Gates

2. 65/891/7

3. 78/5905/2

4. 75/855/7

5. 71/774/7

6. 66/757/6

7. 65/877/5

8. 61/682/3

9. 60/582/5

10. 39/459/6 (1st year player)

And there are 3 additional TEs who I think have as much chance at being in the top 5 as not for this season.

There's a hell of a lot of balance at the position.

There was a time when there was 1 elite TE. Now there are many teams turning to the TE as a receiving threat and with great success. Which creates some balance at the position. Next year I don't think people will think as highly of the "stud TE" strategy, because the playing field is becoming more level.

OK, time to walk the pup and sleep. Nite all - and I agree, let's get picking. If you're going to be away, just mail your picks to someone who's picking at the opposite end of the draft.

:thumbsup:

Im not worried about the gap between the #1 and #10 TEs, thankfully, because I wont have the #10. But you dont think 120pt differential is alot??? Because that's what it would have been last year. All of a sudden, coaches around the league are going to start teaching their TEs to be more like Gates?? heck, the difference between Gates and the #2 in our league would have been 65pts....253 to 188. That's a full 33% differential, which by any standards isnt even close. I dont know, all I know is that right now, the guy throwing the ball to my TE this year is healthy, he's practicing, and he's actually able to speak and eat food. Not all teams are lucky enough right now to have such a guy leading their teams......... :headbanger: