Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

UPDATE on the paintjob on my '65 Mustang

Don't know if anyone recalls the post awhile back about me trading website work for a paintjob? Well I asked the guy last night how much the paintjob was going to be for this color:2006 Ford Vista Blue Metallic.

Man that's a sweet color. Anyway, this is his reply.

That Ford Blue would look sweet on your Mustang. We did a Mustang about a year ago and it was the Dodge Viper Blue. Man it look good! It just so happens that I am doing a 1978 Ford pick-up the same exact color and it will have Pearl White Interior. Weird huh?

How Much for a Paint Job?...Well..To make it less expensive for you..

You can remove all the Chrome, Bumpers, Interior and so on. This will save me hours which saves you cash$$! If everything were removed and you were going to install everything...I could do it for around $2000. If you didn’t have the time to remove & re-install everything...Then it would run around $2500 to $3000.

That’s with Epoxy Primer (for adheision and rust preventer), Urethane Primer for Body Work, Catyalized Sealer, Polyester Base Coat and High Solids Poly-Urethane Clear and Cutt & Buffed to Glass.

We can trade up to 50% if you like.

How sweet is that?! Essentially 1000-1500 after the website trading I'm hoping! :D The only thing is that I don't know if my wrenching skills are good enough to taking everything off and reinstall after. I'm more inclined to think this would be the scenerio after the re-install: "Hey what the hell is this big box of extra stuff doing here?!!" :banana: :first:

What do you guys think? Anyone got a paint job before?

I'm pretty sure Earl Scheib would give you the same paint job for $199.

That's a nice color for sure, but I'm a big believer that all classic cars should retain a paint color that was available for that model in that year.

Anyone got a paint job before?

Not me. But knowing myself, I'd pay the full price and have him do all the work.

Good Luck though.

..... but I'm a big believer that all classic cars should retain a paint color that was available for that model in that year.

:thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure Earl Scheib would give you the same paint job for $199.

Chit, I've got some cousin's that will paint that thing for $100. Course, it may be sitting on blocks when they're done.... :thumbsup:

That's a nice color for sure, but I'm a big believer that all classic cars should retain a paint color that was available for that model in that year.

Yeah... I debated with myself quite a bit about that as well. The two blues in for '65 were Guardsmen and Caspian Blue... both which look like ass in my opinion.

I really want to "make it mine" ya know? :thumbsup: I'm never selling it and if my son decides he wants to change it back to the origional burgundy when he gets the car in his 30's then he sure can. But until then.. I've always loved a dark blue metallic and I want to enjoy this car as much as I can.

I'm also going to slowly change the plain jane white vynil interior to a nice two tone blue/white pony interior.

It's only paint bruah... it can always be changed.

That makes the most sense to me.

Question.

For value sake is it better to use a model year color?

Value?

Older color

vs

Newer color

Does it matter all that much?

I'm asking just to see if it would make the value increase or decrease.

That makes the most sense to me.

Question.

For value sake is it better to use a model year color?

Value?

Older color

vs

Newer color

I asked all the old mustang guys on my 'stang website and most agree that while it's somewhat frowned upon, nowdays people don't really care and it doesn't really hurt the value. People will pay for a mustang with a nice paintjob.

On the other hand... as far as the 'stang enthusiasts... here are the poll results after about 5 days on the classic mustang site:

Keep it original silly boy, thats a crassic!

18% (6)

Make it your car man! You only live once!

81% (26)

Total Votes : 32

Most are pretty much in agreement that as long as I'm not selling it and I'm going to keep it for like 30 years... then who cares? It can always be changed back later. Make it enjoyable to you, as long as your not trick moding it with some goofy parts and rice'in the damned thing up it's cool.

Oh and as long as it's not a specialty mustang that needs to remain all original.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edit.

I asked because I have an 82 Corvette and it could use a paint job.

I was going to buy a new Mustang Convertable last month but someone told me to wait until the 07 comes out. I have no idea why, but that's what he said.

I have a 69 Landcruiser I'm fixing up. It's original color is "spring green". I was telling my 15 yo nephew I was thinking about getting it repainted,

Nephew; "Cool, what color?"

Me; "Same color."

Nephew; " :( :thumbsup: "

:D

Of course he can't believe I don't want a lift-kit or a V8 in it either.

Anyone got a paint job before?

Not me. But knowing myself, I'd pay the full price and have him do all the work.

Good Luck though.

See Pman.. now THIS makes sense to me.

See the problem with this is... I'm wondering if I'll save myself at least the cost of the install on replacement parts of the stuff I break getting it out.. ie windows... trim... hehe.. other stuff.

Plus... all the aggrivation of me screaming/swearing when something doesn't come off/go on uber easily.

I may pay the extra 500 or so just to get it done right.

I can understand painting it what color you want instead of sticking with the original a lot more since you explained that you're keeping the old gal in the family forever. That new Mustang blue is sweet for sure. Enjoy it!

:thumbsup:

I have a 69 Landcruiser I'm fixing up. It's original color is "spring green".

I really debated on keeping it the original vintage burgundy. I don't mind that color and a fresh coat with a nice clear coat would keep it looking nice, but I've decided I'm going with the color I've always wanted in the blue metallic.

There is something to be said for the original colors though.. as long as it's not some nasty freakin puke green/yellow or something.

At least you'll know that if they broke something they would have to replce it and not you.

I like that color though. :thumbsup:

Enjoy it!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edit.

I asked because I have an 82 Corvette and it could use a paint job.

I was going to buy a new Mustang Convertable last month but someone told me to wait until the 07 comes out. I have no idea why, but that's what he said.

I wonder why as well? Maybe he was saying wait to buy an '06 until the '07's come out because maybe you can get a deal when they're trying to move the remaining '06's off the lot?

I wouldn't think it would be for a "change" in the '07's as I'm positive they're not chaning anything after the super remodel they went through last year. Maybe that's what it was.... don't buy the 1st year of a new model?

Something to be said either way I guess.

There is something to be said for the original colors though.. as long as it's not some nasty freakin puke green/yellow or something.

Like this you mean?

Spring green

:(

Part of my reasoning is that I don't really want to repaint the inside as it is in pretty good shape, and the color has actually grown on me over time.

For the record I think your Mustang will look pretty sweet in the color you have picked. :thumbsup:

You're probably right.

I can still call to find out what he meant.

When he said it I just said ok without asking why.

Like this you mean?

Spring green

:D

Part of my reasoning is that I don't really want to repaint the inside as it is in pretty good shape, and the color has actually grown on me over time.

For the record I think your Mustang will look pretty sweet in the color you have picked. :thumbsup:

I actually don't mind that easter egg green color. That color on that rig looks like you should be zooming down a dusty road on an African plain, while your sticking out the top with BIG ASS safari hat and a rifle with a big ass scope... and some little skinny black driver chasing a rhino or a cheetah or something.

That rig is awsome! :(

I actually don't mind that easter egg green color. That color on that rig looks like you should be zooming down a dusty road on an African plain, while your sticking out the top with BIG ASS safari hat and a rifle with a big ass scope... and some little skinny black driver chasing a rhino or a cheetah or something.

That rig is awsome! :thumbsup:

That's not mine btw, but the same year and color, and it's pretty close to where I hope to be eventually.

That one actually sold on ebay a couple months ago, I was sorely tempted just to buy it and save myself a lot of time and effort. My wife didn't think my time and effort was worth that much though. :(

That's not mine btw, but the same year and color, and it's pretty close to where I hope to be eventually.

That one actually sold on ebay a couple months ago, I was sorely tempted just to buy it and save myself a lot of time and effort. My wife didn't think my time and effort was worth that much though. :(

:lol:

same goes for me and my 'stang/mrs.mmmmm...beer. :thumbsup:

If it were up to me we'd live in a nice trailer park with a BITCHIN mustang outfront. :banana:

If it were up to me we'd live in a nice trailer park with a BITCHIN mustang outfront. :thumbsup:

:banana:

I've seen that color in person on an 05 or 06 Mustang, it is very nice.

Took my son to the pool on saturday and there was a blue '06 mustang this color in the parking lot I walked by... I was like HOLY FRICKIN MOLY that color is nice... it looks nicer up close because of the metallic flake in it... MAN that's nice! :(

Don't know if anyone recalls the post awhile back about me trading website work for a paintjob? Well I asked the guy last night how much the paintjob was going to be for this color:2006 Ford Vista Blue Metallic.

Man that's a sweet color. Anyway, this is his reply.

How sweet is that?! Essentially 1000-1500 after the website trading I'm hoping! :wacko: The only thing is that I don't know if my wrenching skills are good enough to taking everything off and reinstall after. I'm more inclined to think this would be the scenerio after the re-install: "Hey what the hell is this big box of extra stuff doing here?!!" :doh: :wub:

What do you guys think? Anyone got a paint job before?

2 Things..........

1. Nice color......It doesn't sound like you are interested in the resale value or adhearing to stock materials. The car will look great & you will be happy.

2. Try the breakdown yourself. Buy some ziploc baggies & a black permanent marker & use them for managing bolts and other items that you remove. Use a digital camera to take pictures of areas that require a specific reassembly if needed. The only way you will get comfortable & learn is to do it. Don't be intimidated....once you start you will realize that it's not rocket science. If you have ever assembled a grill, bike, or anything that required bolts......it will be very similar. I learned by taking all the bodywork & fenders off my motorcycle for paint....including the hardbage locking mechanisims, wiring harnesses etc.....

I hope that you give it a shot & paint it........You will enjoy it & be happy that you did :first: