Sign in to follow this  
Grateful Parrot

Let's talk Kickers

I guess I'll go there:

If everyone is taking a kicker the last two rounds, as we all seem to recommend, why not take someone you like three rounds from the end?

Obviously there is no need to reach, but I see nothing wrong with grabbing vanderjack, feely, or reed after vinitari and rackers are off the board...

honestly I think reed is the pick this year. decent offense, stout defense, tough division, coach who will kick, good schedule for kicks.

Reed for #1 you heard it hear first! or you heard it somewhere else...

jdon

Look if you can't see my "theory" is backed up by that link I sent you earlier then I'll just be wasting my breath explaining it again... FACTS are right there... bad defenses give up the most FG Opportunities and the MOST POINTS... your "STOUT" defenses give up a lot less... cut and dry...

:D

I wait until the last round, check the prior season's stats, and draft whoever made the most 50+ yarders. Nothing sweeter than getting 5 points from one kick!

That's how I ended up with Rackers on all 4 of my FF teams last year, before the season even started. He led the NFL in 50+ yarders in 2004, nobody ever thought of drafting him, so I did.

I always try to take a kicker as late as i can. I usually try to draft the last dome kicker. I like knowing that for at least 8 games he will have no weather problems.

true... Can we get a list of all the teams that use domes?

Atlanta

New Orleans

Minnesota

Indianapolis

St. Louis

Dallas (retractable roof)

Detroit

I thought I heard that Seattle had a retractable roof, but I'm not sure. Also don't know whether Arizona's new stadium has one or not, but I don't think so.

Dallas (retractable roof)

Texas Stadium does not have a retractable roof. It's a partial dome that does not cover the field.

Qwest Field (Seattle) only has partial coverage of the stands.

Cardinals Stadium has a retractable roof. Plus, it's Arizona, so it's not like it matters that much, anyway.

Reliant Stadium (Houston) has a retractable roof.

Texas Stadium does not have a retractable roof. It's a partial dome that does not cover the field.

Really? :angry: I thought they had a retractable. Well, I stand corrected then. :banana:

Really? :angry: I thought they had a retractable. Well, I stand corrected then. :banana:

Thinking of Houston, maybe?

My advice is to pick a Defense and a Kicker in the 3rd to last and 2nd to last rounds, respectively.

Nearly EVERYONE picks a defense and a kicker in the final 2 rounds. (just read 99% of these posts)

Why not get a jump on the competition? More options is always good thing. :doublethumbsup:

My advice is to pick a Defense and a Kicker in the 3rd to last and 2nd to last rounds, respectively.

Nearly EVERYONE picks a defense and a kicker in the final 2 rounds. (just read 99% of these posts)

Why not get a jump on the competition? More options is always good thing. :doublethumbsup:

That's what I usually do. For my last pick, I usually go after a sleeper RB or WR.

That's what I usually do. For my last pick, I usually go after a sleeper RB or WR.

Exactly.

:huh: Last year I wasn't even going to draft a K, my plan was to wait until after the last preseason game, cut someone that I had drafted, and pick up a K then. Our draft was the same day Jerome Bettis got injured and I was going to pick Willie Parker with my last pick. Well the stupid draft tool forced me to pick a kicker since I didn't have one yet! Being the commish I had no choice but to do the right thing and obey the restriction, so I lost out on Willie. The team with the highest waiver priority (defending champ since they had the worst draft position) got Willie in post-draft waivers two days later. I ended up having absolute dung for running backs all year and would have had a much better team with Willie. :cry:

right...because there's typically loads of those floating around at 20.07 :wall:

:mad:

right...because there's typically loads of those floating around at 20.07 :dunno:

:P

Guess I should have clarified that my league only drafts 14 rounds (so if you draft 2 QB, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF, that leaves 9 spots for RB and WR), so many of the potential sleepers are still available at the end of the draft.

I know kickers for the most part don't rate very high in FF, but I would like to know some of the methods you experts use in picking kickers. I try to go with most consistant inside the 40 on teams that don't fair well in redzone scoring. How do you guys pick them?

i look over teams that have a decent offense but not potent enough to punch in the endzone with any consistencies. my thinking is that if they consistently stall outside the 20, it's an easy 3 points for me. I'd rather have a kicker that has multiple short kicks than a kicker who kicks left often. Best example was Rackers, who was probably undrafted last year. I picked Elam because I thought that the Denver offense under Plummer would stall inside the 20. Unfortunately, I underestimated their ability to score TD's, but the thinking is correct. Now, the question is, "Which team is going to stall outside the 20 this year?". For my money, I like teams like Arizona (but Rackers will be gone before I even think about picking a kicker), Houston, Green Bay, Pitt, maybe even New England. Actually, Tampa's kicker may be a good choice because they have a young QB and good running game.