Sign in to follow this  
EyeOfDaTiga

Theory on Having a mid-round pick

I may be way off the wall here but I have this theory if you have one of those mid round picks. Ex: 5,6,7 in an 8 team Draft, 6,7,8 in a 12 team draft.

I don't know if it's a concensous that the 1st four picks will be LT, LJ, Alexander and Peyton, but for all my leagues it is. Anyone can make a case for any of those guys being the best at their position. My theory is to ensure that you take the best at the next position available.

EX>If you have a middle round pick go ahead and take the best reciever in your opinion and on the way back take Antonio Gates. Yes it seems like a reach but in all actuallity you would have the best WR and best TE in the league. With the depth at RB this year I would think this theory was perfect.

I may be thinking way out of the box but I wanted to get everyones opinion?

P.S> I have the 6th pick in an 8 team draft and I am debating whether or not to go with this strategy.

No way I have done it before and it back fires more often then not. Unless you get lucky with your RB's in the 3rd and 4rth round you are screwed. Take a RB in round one or two and take a WR in the first two rounds. Come round three be open minded and take the best available. If Gates is there you will thanking me.

I probally will take your advice. The only thing is I am in a 8 player league that values QB's because we start two of them. There will be plenty of good RB's in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. I guess it all depends on the makeup of your league.

One can take many more chances in an 8 team draft, and it really can't even be compared to what one would go through trying the same thing in a 12 teamer. There is really no excuse for fielding a poor team in an 8 team draft. There is way too much talent available, and plenty of depth at every position. All the teams should look very solid on paper, or owners replaced.

you gotta look at what the 5th, 6th or 7th ranked RB will get pts wise in your league vs what the top ranked WR or TE will get, and it all depends on your scoring system. RB will produce more consistently than most WR and TE, and have more points at year end.

I think Gates is going early third round with a 12 team draft. You could get him in the 4rth still. If not take Shockey the next round and you should be happy. There are plenty of good TE's this year also. [

With the depth at RB this year...

:doublethumbsup:

The what now?

I love what I'm seeing from the 5 through 8 spot this season, in a 12 team draft. I can someone like Tiki, Jackson, Brown, Caddy or Jordan in the first. Then I can target Westbrook in the 2nd, and land Dunn in round three. Many will disagree with the lack of a Wideout here, but I simply feel that guys like Driver in the 4th, and the bevy of other additional talent available 5 through 10, in that position, make for a very solid squad.

I love what I'm seeing from the 5 through 8 spot this season, in a 12 team draft. I can someone like Tiki, Jackson, Brown, Caddy or Jordan in the first. Then I can target Westbrook in the 2nd, and land Dunn in round three. Many will disagree with the lack of a Wideout here, but I simply feel that guys like Driver in the 4th, and the bevy of other additional talent available 5 through 10, in that position, make for a very solid squad.

Couldn't agree more here. You still have #1 and borderline #1 caliber WR available in the 4th round and can be loaded at RB. I probably look at RB/RB/WR/RB, but would consider starting RB/RB/RB if somebody I believe is undervalued is still sitting there at my rnd3 pick.

I forgot to add we are a points per recpetion league which supports my theory a little more.

QUOTE(EyeOfDaTiga @ Jul 6 2006, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the depth at RB this year...

The what now?

I do believe there is alot of RB depth this year, there are at least 25-30 backs that are useable in your every week lineup. Even the backs who are invovled in RBBC have some value and can be used. Like I stated before it is easier b/c I play in an 8 team league. I do participate in a 12 team league and I can see your point when talking about depth, but what more can you ask for than 25-30 backs that have value?

No way I have done it before and it back fires more often then not. Unless you get lucky with your RB's in the 3rd and 4rth round you are screwed. Take a RB in round one or two and take a WR in the first two rounds. Come round three be open minded and take the best available. If Gates is there you will thanking me.

I agree with you brother !!! :wall: :lol: :blink:

What about the rest of you other little Hulksters? :thumbsup:

you gotta look at what the 5th, 6th or 7th ranked RB will get pts wise in your league vs what the top ranked WR or TE will get, and it all depends on your scoring system. RB will produce more consistently than most WR and TE, and have more points at year end.

I agree. You certainly have to take a RB with one of your first two picks in a 12 teamer. In an 8 teamer I would venture to say the same is true. I would never spend a 2nd round pick on Gates, even though he is the best at his position. Unless your scoring rules give 20 pts for TDs from TEs, I would wait until at least the 3rd round, and that's in a 12 team league. In an 8 team league I'm thinking somewhere in the 4th at best. The TE position is deep this year and you can get one that will produce very late in the draft.

Does depend on the league size. 8 teams you may as well go with the best WR on the board such as Steve Smith then grab a rb later with the same value you would have had at your pick. More teams the RB's are tough to find, i think more so this year than ever.

what are your other starting positions besides two qb's? this probably should factor into your decision. i'd think i'd still go rb-rb. i'm generally not a rb-rb guy but you have picks 6 and 11. with your first pick you could get tiki, portis, sjax, edge, rudi, and with your second pick could get ronnie, caddy, jordan. after those guys are gone, the rb's have more and more question marks. i think it's okay to still wait on qb's, just not too long. i think you can wait until 8 or so are off the board and then go back to back or even back to back to back qb's. you should still get very good qb's like bledsoe, eli, trent green, brooks, culpepper, favre, delhomme, brooks, warner.......after stocking up on rb's, wr's, and maybe a te. i would think you could wait until atleast the 4th round and maybe the 5th or 6th to get your first qb. in the third you might be able to get gates or maybe boldin, chad johnson, or even fitz.

there is only about 10-20% that is in a serious 8 team draft on this board....and maybe less that start 2 QBs...so most of us don't know what you can or can't do in a 8 teamer...

seems to me your best option in this small of a league would be to go RB RB.....if you have a mid round pick you could possible get 2 top 10 backs...with plenty left over in the WR and QB areas....

wow, i couldn't disagree more with so many of your theories. stock up on running backs early, fill the middle with WRs, always wait on a TE, and only jump on a QB in the first 6 rounds if you're in a 12 teamer. oh yeah, i wouldn't touch peyton at 4, that's just plain wrong.

oh yeah, and it's almost impossible to apply the same theory to an 8 team league that you would to a 12 team league. in an 8 team league, if you have the 8th pick, your 2nd best player is the 9th overall ranked player in the draft. in a 12 teamer, it's the 17th best player. in an 8 teamer, your third best player is the 23 ranked player. in a 12 teamer, it's the 32nd! so many different things are going happen, i strongly advise adapting your draft strategy to the size of the league. those are monster differences.

In an 8 teamer, you can definitely go WR with one of the first couple of picks, but a backfield of like LaMont Jordan and Rudi Johnson (or steven jackson) sounds pretty damn good to me if you go RB, RB. you could still land harrison and boldin when you pick again at 23 and 24. so, what's better, LaMont/Rudi/Harrison/Boldin or LaMont/Steve Smith/Reuben Droughns (or Jamal Lewis)/Boldin. I'm going to say the first one.

In a 12 teamer, in my opinion, if you wait till 32 to get your second running back, i hope you like willie parker or kevin jones, because that's what you're getting (i personally don't). if you take your #1 wide out at 32 in a 12 teamer, you're talking chris chambers or hines ward. So again, I like LaMont/Julius Jones (or westbrook)/Chambers better than Steve Smith/Julius Jones/Kevin Jones.

With regards to TE's, yeah, Gates is the cream of the crop, but the rest of your team is going to suffer if you take him early in any draft. There are TONS of good tight ends available, why not let the rest of your league take them and then take the 6th, 7th, or even 8th best TE? Gates, Gonzalez (78, 900, 2), Crumpler (65, 900, 5), Whitten (66, 750, 6), Shockey (65, 900, 7), Heap (75, 850, 7) could all be the #2 tight end in the league, maybe even #1. And the tier after that isn't too shabby either - Cooley (71, 800, 7), McMichael (60, 600, 5). You reach to grab gates and Deion Branch is all of a sudden your #2 wide receiver. Not Cool.

And Peyton, am I the only one who sees he's only thrown over 30 TDs twice in his career. Don't get me wrong, he's the best QB in the game and even if Tom Brady's dad was in a fantasy league, he'd still take peyton as the first QB off the board, but get over the 49 TDs, it's not happening again. Food for thought, Jake Delhomme's 2004 stats were better than Peyton Manning's 2005 stats. Which means? Anything can happen with QBs. I would much rather take Jake Delhomme in the 12th round than Peyton in the first (or second for that matter).

Remember two things: 1) it's about building a roster from top to bottom, not just getting a couple playmakers, every pick is important. And 2) you can't win a fantasy league in the first round, you can lose it though.

HTH. Good Luck.

no way i even take a wr in any first round pick this year. however, i would definitely consider taking a wr in the 2nd round on the way back because you can get a similar rb at 3.05 to 2.07. the way i look at it is who are you going to take as the top wr? smith. so you take smith and then get a guy like westbrook or something. would you rather have that or portis/edge/rudi and holt/harrison/fitz? i would def go with the latter

IMO it depends on your scoring in an 8 team league especially starting 2 QBs.

I play in a 10 team league starting 2 QBs, and while I normally agree with and stick to the RB/RB draft strategy I don't in this one. I strictly go by Highest Available player. BUT Like I said it all depends on your leagues scoring. Ours does not favor RBs as some do with passing TDs being only 4 pts.

Heres our starting roster requirements and point values.

2QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE 1DEF, 4IDP

Scoring: 6 per TD, (Pass, Rsh or Rec), 1 pt per Rec, 1-20 yds pass, 1-10 yds rush, 1 -20 yds rec.

Sean Alexander gave me a total of 375 pts last year...Carson Palmer gave me 394.

So look at your leagues scoring and base it on that. If it turns out that 2 stud RBs are going to put up more points than 2 stud QBs then so be it, but be open minded going into your draft based on your leagues scoring.

HTH

I tottally agree with the RB RB theory thats the way I usually go in any draft, I was just asking if the other idea had any merit to it. I guess it doesn't lol. Yes we do play 2QB's and thats why Peyton is so highly regarded. I promise guys like Bulger, Palmer and McNabb will be gone by the end of the 2nd round. I think I'll end up going with Portis at 6 if he's there and McGahhee/SJax on the way back. I am not a big fan of Tiki but he is probally the pick I should go with at 6.

Who cares again this is 8 teams??? The free agent wire is full of talent.

Here's a listing of the top 10 fantasy scorers at each position. Using the standard 1 point for every 20 yards and 6 points per TD.

top 10 RB's

top 10 Wr's

Top 5 te's

Before this thread my plan was take the top WR if I couldn't get one of the top 5 RB's. Then take a RB in rounds 2 and 3. Maybe again in 4. But there is no way you take a TE. In the first 3-4 rounds.

Who cares again this is 8 teams??? The free agent wire is full of talent.

I was going to say the same thing.

8 league teams are for rookies. Play in a real league if you want real advice. :banana:

HTH

i don't think there is anything wrong with 8 team leagues as long as you increase the lineup and roster #'s to make the total # of players on fantasy teams in either league about the same.

example: 12 teamer * 8 starters + 8 bench = 192 players not free agents

8 teamer * 14 starters + 10 bench = 192 players not free agent

so you get basically the same talent on the waiver wire

you could start 2 qb's, 2 rb's, 4 wr's, 2 te's, 2 k's, 2 dst's which practically makes it more like a 16 team league. i don't know what this particular league plays with though. he did say they start 2 qb's so i would think that the rest of the lineups might also be increased.

EYEOFDATIGA, what does your lineup look like?

I may be way off the wall here but I have this theory if you have one of those mid round picks. Ex: 5,6,7 in an 8 team Draft, 6,7,8 in a 12 team draft.

I don't know if it's a concensous that the 1st four picks will be LT, LJ, Alexander and Peyton, but for all my leagues it is. Anyone can make a case for any of those guys being the best at their position. My theory is to ensure that you take the best at the next position available.

EX>If you have a middle round pick go ahead and take the best reciever in your opinion and on the way back take Antonio Gates. Yes it seems like a reach but in all actuallity you would have the best WR and best TE in the league. With the depth at RB this year I would think this theory was perfect.

P.S> I have the 6th pick in an 8 team draft and I am debating whether or not to go with this strategy.

i think there are many reasons not to do this (particularly Gates). the best reason is that in almost every league, you could get gates in the 5th or 6th round, why take him in the 2nd, when no one else is going to take him anytime soon anyway, not to mention all of the other reasons not to take a TE in the 2nd round.

Now WR, I can't say it is always a bad idea, but a stud RB always over a stud anything else, but there aren't that many stud RBs this year, so by the 8th or 9th picks a stud WR is a possibility.

i think there are many reasons not to do this (particularly Gates). the best reason is that in almost every league, you could get gates in the 5th or 6th round, why take him in the 2nd, when no one else is going to take him anytime soon anyway, not to mention all of the other reasons not to take a TE in the 2nd round.

Now WR, I can't say it is always a bad idea, but a stud RB always over a stud anything else, but there aren't that many stud RBs this year, so by the 8th or 9th picks a stud WR is a possibility.

There's a lot of good TE's and I wouldn't waste a high pick on Gates when you can wait and get Crumpler, Witten, Shockey, Gonzalez, Heiden etc. . Don't forget about Bubba Franks ... still a quality TE. HE was injured most of last year eventhough he played ... he wasn't the same when injured. Look for him to have a good season. I usually wait for someone else to take a TE first, then I act fast and pick one before all the elite ones are gone. It's a good strategy when there's a lot of quality players at a position.

:headbanger:

Intriguing.

What, you're not going to pimp fantasybowl.com, teh best site evar?!!?!

Evry time that i took any position besides RB with my #1 pick, it always came back to haunt me...

Alright I see I am getting blasted for this idea and I was going to try and stay away b/c people were getting just to ignorant about a simple idea I had, but I'll answer the question the guy asked above.

8 Team League-

we start: 2QB's, 2 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def and 8 bench. Nineteen total.

Yes there is some talent avaiable early but we pay per every drop and add so people are more relcutant to go adding people just to stash them.

I don't understand why people would look down upon 8 player leagues? I play in other 12 and 10 team leagues and this one is by far the most competitve. Yes some teams are loaded but it still takes an expereinced FF player to make the right moves to win this thing. I'm sorry for asking the question I just wanted to see if it held any merit. SORRY FOR ASKING!

It's sad to see people on here, where ideas are supposed to be freely tossed around just go off on someone b/c they don't agree with the structure of their league. Thanks for nothing. SAD !!!! :thumbsup:

Alright I see I am getting blasted for this idea and I was going to try and stay away b/c people were getting just to ignorant about a simple idea I had, but I'll answer the question the guy asked above.

8 Team League-

we start: 2QB's, 2 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def and 8 bench. Nineteen total.

Yes there is some talent avaiable early but we pay per every drop and add so people are more relcutant to go adding people just to stash them.

I don't understand why people would look down upon 8 player leagues? I play in other 12 and 10 team leagues and this one is by far the most competitve. Yes some teams are loaded but it still takes an expereinced FF player to make the right moves to win this thing. I'm sorry for asking the question I just wanted to see if it held any merit. SORRY FOR ASKING!

It's sad to see people on here, where ideas are supposed to be freely tossed around just go off on someone b/c they don't agree with the structure of their league. Thanks for nothing. SAD !!!! :wacko:

Don't take it personally, there's WAY too many condescending, know it all jackasses that post like you'd insulted their mother or something. Their idea is that in an 8-teamer, every team is loaded at just about every position, so it takes less knowledge. But, having to start 2 QB and 2/3 RB or 3/4 WR equates to about the same as a standard 12 teamer. Don't sweat it.

This means nothing, you do not compare RBs to WRs or TEs in terms of FF points scored, it means very little. What matters in how much more that RB scores in relation to the next set of RBs and the same for WRs/TEs, it the basic pricipal of value.

This means nothing, you do not compare RBs to WRs or TEs in terms of FF points scored, it means very little. What matters in how much more that RB scores in relation to the next set of RBs and the same for WRs/TEs, it the basic pricipal of value.

No, actually it doesn't necessarily mean "nothing". Look at krizay's post. The #1 TE gets less pts than the #9 WR and doesn't even sniff the top of the RB values. If I can get the #10 ranked RB as my #2 RB on my team, or the #8 ranked WR as a #2 WR on my team, then get the #2 or 3 ranked TE 2-3 rounds later...well, that's easy math. And if you wanna blow a 2nd round pick on the #1 TE just because he's gonna put up 2 more pts than per game more than the #2 TE, well then, let me invite you into my league, we need another sucker...er, uh owner.

It's a very viable strategy if you are confident in your drafting ability in the middle rounds. Only flaw I see is there really no need to draft the #1 TE in round 2 of a 12 team league, chances are very good that he will be there in round 3 and possible round 4 depending on your draft position.

No, actually it doesn't necessarily mean "nothing". Look at krizay's post. The #1 TE gets less pts than the #9 WR and doesn't even sniff the top of the RB values. If I can get the #10 ranked RB as my #2 RB on my team, or the #8 ranked WR as a #2 WR on my team, then get the #2 or 3 ranked TE 2-3 rounds later...well, that's easy math. And if you wanna blow a 2nd round pick on the #1 TE just because he's gonna put up 2 more pts than per game more than the #2 TE, well then, let me invite you into my league, we need another sucker...er, uh owner.

What matters is the seperation at the postion plain and simple, that is what makes the top Tier RBs so valuable they score far more FF points than the other RBs.

You flawed in thingking that the # 6RB compared to the #1 WR is a vailbe number it's not. What matters is the seperation that WR creates for you compared to who youor another owner would get later.

Simple

12 teams must start a TE and 2 RBs

#1 TE scores a total of 130 points

#12 Te scores 70 points

thats a + 60 value

#1 RB gets 315

#24 gets 175

Thats a +140 value

But if I get the #1 TE and his +60 value and you get the #4 Te with a value of 20

and you get the # 7RB who scores 220 points and has a value of 45 and I get the #10 RB who scores 210 and has a value of 40 then I have created the most seperation and drafted the better team.

After the top Tier of each position there is a huge drop off and then as you get to the next teirs there are many players with simular production, take advantage of this where you can.

And if you are getting the #10 RB as your #2RB and the #8 WR as your #2 in a 12 team league then you are already playing with suckers.

I also forgot to add that most of the leagues I participate in have big play scoring. (Ex. 40yd TD's and 50yd TD's have bonuses attached). This also makes WR have more value.

I was going to say the same thing.

8 league teams are for rookies. Play in a real league if you want real advice. :blink:

HTH

8 team redrafters are one thing, but I have been in an 8 team dynasty/keeper league for over 10 years now. We have 22 player rosters, five keepers each season (no more than 2 at any pos.), along with 2 keeper rookies. We then put three additional players on a restricted list. We lose one of those in our expansion draft, and then are immediatly up to pick, with the other two players getting locked into our squad. Add to that a three round rookie draft to start the season, and it is one fun league. Built in dynasties, along with re-building years. Teams all have talent and large rosters, so match ups can make or break you.

It's a very viable strategy if you are confident in your drafting ability in the middle rounds. Only flaw I see is there really no need to draft the #1 TE in round 2 of a 12 team league, chances are very good that he will be there in round 3 and possible round 4 depending on your draft position.

What matters is the seperation at the postion plain and simple, that is what makes the top Tier RBs so valuable they score far more FF points than the other RBs.

You flawed in thingking that the # 6RB compared to the #1 WR is a vailbe number it's not. What matters is the seperation that WR creates for you compared to who youor another owner would get later.

Simple

12 teams must start a TE and 2 RBs

#1 TE scores a total of 130 points

#12 Te scores 70 points

thats a + 60 value

#1 RB gets 315

#24 gets 175

Thats a +140 value

But if I get the #1 TE and his +60 value and you get the #4 Te with a value of 20

and you get the # 7RB who scores 220 points and has a value of 45 and I get the #10 RB who scores 210 and has a value of 40 then I have created the most seperation and drafted the better team.

After the top Tier of each position there is a huge drop off and then as you get to the next teirs there are many players with simular production, take advantage of this where you can.

And if you are getting the #10 RB as your #2RB and the #8 WR as your #2 in a 12 team league then you are already playing with suckers.

I see your points, and agree to a certain extent. Couple of things though. First, I didn't say I was getting the #10 RB as my 2 AND the #8 WR as my 2, I said "OR", there's a big difference there.

Now, assuming all other things are equal...lets say you and I are drafting back to back to keep things as even as possible...

Meglamaniac 1.06 #6 RB 257

jgcrawfish 1.07 #7 RB 247

jgcrawfish 2.06 #2 WR 219

Meglamaniac 2.07 #1 TE 165

Meglamaniac 3.06 #10 WR 168

jgcrawfish 3.07 #19 RB 168

jgcrawfish 4.06 #2 TE 141

Meglamaniac 4.07 #24 RB 147

jgcrawfish 775

Meglaman 737

Those are based off Antsport ADP and AVT (from footballdiehards) for RB/WR/TE on 6pt for all TD, 1 pt for 10 yds rush system. It assumes we both come out of Rnd4 w/ 2RB, 1WR and 1TE. Yes, you get the best TE in the game, but you sacrifice pts overall because TE are less valuable and produce less on average than WR. The difference between the #1 TE and #2 TE is narrower than the difference between the #2WR and the #10WR, which is what you would end up w/ if you reach for Gates in 2nd round.

I also forgot to add that most of the leagues I participate in have big play scoring. (Ex. 40yd TD's and 50yd TD's have bonuses attached). This also makes WR have more value.

Same w/ mine, and that's not even factored in here, which would widen the gap even further.

Meglamaniac, where'd you go? Eagerly awaiting your pithy rebuttal...