Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

I know this guy! - Funny story

Busted!

When I was frittering away my sizable severance package in the alchoholic stupor many of you refer to as "2005", I'd stop by one of two local watering holes occasionally to get lunch / bs with the bartenders - whatevah. Anyway, there was this guy that was ALWAYS there from the minute the bar opened. He'd knock back a handful of double tall crown and diets. He'd flirt with the girls, bullshiot - general bar shenanigans. - And be there for at least a coupla hours. I'd talked to the guy, he'd bought me drinks - we'd bs occasionally - but I never knew who he was. I figgered he was one of the bar's investors.

Turns out, he's the Head of Tourism & Visitors commission here in town. - A $200K gubmint job. - Also turns out, he'd head to OTHER bars after he was done with our part of town.

He shows up on the local news last night - busted for f'ing off on the government dime. The Mayor sounds pretty pixxed.

too funny. Can't wait to see him again.... (prolly won't)

as long as he was going to hotel bars and buying visitors drinks, sounds like he was doing his job!

Yeah, these aren't hotel bars. And, unless he was trying to convince the natives to visit their own city..... :doublethumbsup:

I like the way he tries to spin it that he's trying to drum up convention business, espeicially at the Front Porch.. :bench:

Mayor White has had a rough time this year, when you add in the "new residents" and the mayor pro-tem scandal..

Partial Story:

Long lunches and hanging out in bars. That's what our Troubleshooters found when they followed the president of the Greater Houston Visitors and Convention Bureau. Records show Jordy Tollett is paid upwards of $200,000 of your tax dollars every year. His job is to lure vital tourism and outside business dollars to Houston.

Meet Jordy Tollett -- the president of the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau.

When we followed Tollett, we found him spending up to two hours in the middle of the workday sitting at the bar of the Front Porch pub in midtown. And after a two-hour lunch one day at the Front Porch, Tollett headed to Floyd's in Clear Lake where we again found him sitting at the bar.

But when we sent a Channel 2 employee inside with a hidden camera, she spotted Tollett being served four drinks from the bar in an hour while talking to this woman. He then hopped into his truck and headed back to city hall.

On another day, our producer saw Tollett having five drinks during a nearly two-hour lunch with this man. Tollett then gets into his Corvette and heads back to work.

But, Tollett is adamant about his time at the bar, saying he only drinks Diet Coke during the day. But, when we pressed him on the issue.

"Are you saying you've never had a drink at the Front Porch or at Floyd's during the middle of the work day?" Arnold asked.

"I ain't saying that. I'm not going to say that. It's absolutely, positively true I may have," Tollett said.

"If people are supposed to be working, getting convention business for the city of Houston, that's what they ought to be doing, not hanging out at bars," Houston Mayor Bill White said.

Mayor White says he feels it's time for a change of leadership at the bureau.

"I think, you know, he's had the job for quite a while and I think it's about time that we looked at alternatives," White said.

Tollett's five-year employment contract with the bureau comes up for renewal in February. The Convention and Visitor's Bureau is also now being audited by the city controller's office. The results of that audit should be complete in the next few weeks.

How much did he pay Parking Lot Pete?

:bench:

...and now you can say "Hey! I went to that bar!"

...and got scammed by a vagrant!!! :ninja:

...and now you can say "Hey! I went to that bar!"

...and got scammed by a vagrant!!! :ninja:

Somehow, I'm thinking ol' Pete probably makes more than I do.

Somehow, I'm thinking ol' Pete probably makes more than I do.

Nah, not everybody's that gullible.... :ninja:

Congrats on the new digs.

For some reason this makes me think of the guys up from Houston who George Costanza had to wine and dine....

"Hey, you son of a b!tch! Come sit down and buy that bastard a beer!"