Sign in to follow this  
Striker99

Chambers to see fewer deep chances

The Miami Herald reports Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey won't take as many deep chances as Scott Linehan did last season, but Chris Chambers likes his schemes. "The offense is going to be more controlled and more balanced," Chambers said. "Linehan liked to go downfield a little bit more. Early in the year last year, we were throwing up balls just to be throwing it up. Now there's a reason behind a lot of the stuff we're doing. [Mularkey] wants a tough, physical team. I like his approach."Chambers had a breakout season in 2005, but this news can't be considered a positive for his current value.

Does he really have #1 Value if his deep chances are being reduced? :cry:

Depends on your league. In PPR leagues, this is a wash. In fact, this might even increase his value in such a scorning system. Especially if he can rack up yards after catch which, being big and fast, he should be able to do. And being that Dante is likely to be feeding him balls, don't be surprised if he grabs a few deep ones every game or two.

That is just stupid IMHO. One of C-Pep's strengths is tossing the long ball, one of Chambers strengths is to adjust to the ball well and his leap and catch ability. Are they just going to toss it to him in the flat? I think not, I think the O -Cord might just be saying this to say it.

I like Chambers for a big season. :cry:

I don't think fewer deep chances is going to hurt Chambers' value that much, in fact, more short passes might make his a more consistent FF point-getter. For a No. 1 receiver last year, Chambers really didn't see that much consistency in receptions: 82 on the season, but 23 of those came off two big games. Other Chambers' owners from last season probably remember the agony of the games when he would put up 3 catches for 40 yards. Under a better QB and better team overall, I think he'll be about where he was last year in production even with a more conservative offense.

but for Big Play reward leagues...its a bummer :bench: . PPR leagues will benefit. But culpepper will probably not listen and air it out.

I don't think fewer deep chances is going to hurt Chambers' value that much, in fact, more short passes might make his a more consistent FF point-getter. For a No. 1 receiver last year, Chambers really didn't see that much consistency in receptions: 82 on the season, but 23 of those came off two big games. Other Chambers' owners from last season probably remember the agony of the games when he would put up 3 catches for 40 yards. Under a better QB and better team overall, I think he'll be about where he was last year in production even with a more conservative offense.

That's one of the reasons I traded him away last year. (It didn't end up being that bad a trade Me: Chambers and Brunell for Him: Fitzgerald and an injured Bulger) It seems like people are only remebering the end of last season with Chambers and not his highly inconsistent first half. I think that with more of a controled passing game, Chambers numbers may well increase and at the very least become more consistant. Plus, sometimes the short game can open up the long game.

Overall, this news equals a push for me, doesn't increase or decrease his value in my book...

Guys, calm down. This is nothing but coach speak. Do you think they want defenses stacking the line against Brown? No way.

Last season the Fins took a sick amount of shots downfield. They did it because Lame Brain Linehan doesn't know what a crossing route is. Most of the passes were dropped, intercepted, or severly underthrown.

Chambers will still get his deep passes and the Fins will be better offensively than last season. Culpepper is NOT the most accurate passer in the NFL. He does have one of the strongest arms though. The Dolphins will be fine and Chambers will be a superstar with CPep tossing him the pigskin.

.....................and I'm sure they're gonna just come right out and truly tell everyone what they are gonna do, giving up half the of the field length wise in coverage. This is just one of those "giving a dog a bone" comments.

Guys, calm down. This is nothing but coach speak. Do you think they want defenses stacking the line against Brown? No way.

Last season the Fins took a sick amount of shots downfield. They did it because Lame Brain Linehan doesn't know what a crossing route is. Most of the passes were dropped, intercepted, or severly underthrown.

Chambers will still get his deep passes and the Fins will be better offensively than last season. Culpepper is NOT the most accurate passer in the NFL. He does have one of the strongest arms though. The Dolphins will be fine and Chambers will be a superstar with CPep tossing him the pigskin.

In summary:

If it's a player you have, it's coachspeak . . .

If it's a player you don't have, then it's something OTHER owners should worry about . . .

Culpepper drops back, panics, forgets everything, and will still throw it deep and hopes moss (oops) - chambers can bring it in. I just don't trust Culpepper at all.

Guest fantasyfreak64

eh....if this is true its :unsure: :banana: :(

Chambers is surely a great deep threat, but he also led the NFL in redzone pass targets last year with 29....so who really cares if they dont throw the ball deep as often? Those are low percentage passes anyway, and he'll still get as many TD looks as any other receiver in the game in the area where it matters most.

Chambers is surely a great deep threat, but he also led the NFL in redzone pass targets last year with 29....so who really cares if they dont throw the ball deep as often? Those are low percentage passes anyway, and he'll still get as many TD looks as any other receiver in the game in the area where it matters most.

Gotta figure the short yardage rushing TDs will go up this year though. Only had 6 last year.

For what it's worth, last year Chambers was tied for third in targets with Fitzgerald at 165. Only Burress (166) and Boldin (171) had more. Since Marty Booker had ten or more looks in only two games last year and the year before I doubt he'll be a threat to take any passes away. This leaves McMichael, Welker and the rookie Hagans as the remaining options. That is unless Brown turns into Westbrook. If the Harrinton / Culpepper duo can improve upon the 50% completion ratio from last year then Chambers catches have already gone up. In ppr I'll take three ten yard catches over one thirty yarder all day long.

For what it's worth, last year Chambers was tied for third in targets with Fitzgerald at 165. Only Burress (166) and Boldin (171) had more. Since Marty Booker had ten or more looks in only two games last year and the year before I doubt he'll be a threat to take any passes away. This leaves McMichael, Welker and the rookie Hagans as the remaining options. That is unless Brown turns into Westbrook. If the Harrinton / Culpepper duo can improve upon the 50% completion ratio from last year then Chambers catches have already gone up. In ppr I'll take three ten yard catches over one thirty yarder all day long.

He was part of the reason for the low completion percentage. One of the worst in the league in dropped ball percentage. Second worst I believe for those with over 50 catches (Donte Stallworth).

He was part of the reason for the low completion percentage. One of the worst in the league in dropped ball percentage. Second worst I believe for those with over 50 catches (Donte Stallworth).

good point . . .

The Miami Herald reports Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey won't take as many deep chances as Scott Linehan did last season, but Chris Chambers likes his schemes. "The offense is going to be more controlled and more balanced," Chambers said. "Linehan liked to go downfield a little bit more. Early in the year last year, we were throwing up balls just to be throwing it up. Now there's a reason behind a lot of the stuff we're doing. [Mularkey] wants a tough, physical team. I like his approach."Chambers had a breakout season in 2005, but this news can't be considered a positive for his current value.

Does he really have #1 Value if his deep chances are being reduced? :clap:

That just doesn't make any sense. Sure, deep chances last year were bad ideas because you had a bunch of sucktastic QBs. Now that Culpepper's taking the reigns, he's going to air it out whether you like it or not. All this rubbish will be forgotten the first time Daunte drops back deep and lets fly with a 50 yarder to Chambers for a TD.

That just doesn't make any sense. Sure, deep chances last year were bad ideas because you had a bunch of sucktastic QBs. Now that Culpepper's taking the reigns, he's going to air it out whether you like it or not. All this rubbish will be forgotten the first time Daunte drops back deep and lets fly with a 50 yarder to Chambers for a TD.

True dat. I already read a quote or two from Chambers saying how much he liked working with Culpepper because in the past he'd get open downfield and his QB's couldn't throw it that far. :clap:

Miami receptions and targets by player:

Chambers - 82/165

Booker - 39 / 86

McMichael - 60 / 104

Brown - 32 / 47

Welker - 29 / 52

Williams - 17 / 20

H. Miller - 14 / 17

Morris - 8 / 12

Miami finished below the league median % for receptions by position at all three positions. They were only a couple points below on RB's though. I'm not saying Chambers isn't free from any of the blame for his numbers but if every offensive pass catching position managed to finish below the leagues average and the one common denominator is the QB then it's not too hard to see where the bulk of responsibility and room for improvement exists. Same as you can't blame Stallworth entirely for Brooks inability to hit targets or Burress for Eli's low completion % either.

My boy C-Pep does not listen to coaches! Pep will be winging it deep..mark it down.