Sign in to follow this  
Los Angeles Raiders of Oakland

Larry Johnson

If he and his line can stay healthy, some rushing records are going to get broken this year.

Why? He was unstoppable almost every carry last year. He is a beast, and if Priest isn't in the picture, he's the runaway #1.

what about the coaching changes? Not a big Herm fan. I don't know...It just keeps poping up in my mind.

You mean Herm "Curtis Martin averaged 1700 total yards per year under me until last year when he got injured" Edwards?

Sure, he may not be the best coach out there, but he loves to run.

If he and his line can stay healthy, some rushing records are going to get broken this year.

Why? He was unstoppable almost every carry last year. He is a beast, and if Priest isn't in the picture, he's the runaway #1.

i guess losing a 2-time pro-bowl FB isn't going to affect him at all then?

Personally, i'm not too concerned about the coaching change myself due to Herm's usage of CuMar, but the loss of TRichardson is definitely going to have an effect.

Larry Johnson will be lucky to finish in the top 10 in rushing, he just isn't that good.

(Hope no one think's I'm serious.)

AS good?...............nooooooooo........BETTER.

and by the way, Larry didnt have Tony Richardson or an All World line at Penn State when he was kicking the college football nation's ass either......I think he'll be just fine.

yeah hes not that good he only had the best 9 game streach of rushing in the history of the nfl...

wow they all must be raiders fans...dont take him and watch your wallet get smaller...

MEAT GAZER

It's all about the health of his line for a big year

Agreed. If Shields, Waters and Roaf stay healthy he'll be in good shape. Another factor is Trent Green. He's 36 and if he went down (or simply broke down) it would be a negative for LJ. LJ's so good he'll work through it but it could mean he has to work that much harder for the monster numbers we're expecting.

On a sidenote the Chiefs offense is getting old all of a sudden. Roaf is 36, Shields is 34, Wiegmann is 32, Green is 36, Gonzo is 30, Dunn is 32 and Kennison is 33 (Waters is also 29). This year could be their last big hurrah before they have to retool.

I think he will be even better than projected. Many FF Teams with LJ will win the championship. Similar to the high scoring years of Priest Holmes. Just look at the starting KC Chiefs RB over the last 5 years when there was only one clear cut #1 RB for the Chiefs (or the backup was injured and out of the game(s)).

I think there is a good chance he will be right where many FF sites have him maybe less. I doubt that he will do much more than that. His 9 game stretch last season was un fockin real but he did play some soft Defenses. Hey will be keyed on every single down because Gonzo seems to be there only other weapon. That being said, the O-Line is the shiznit still. Still with S.A. being so consistent and having one of the 3 easiest schedules in Football (Chiefs are right in the middle there) , I think he is the safer pick. In the end, I would not be shocked if the big 3 have very similar seasons. I have the first pick in my draft coming up in about a month and have bounced back and forth between LJ and SA at least 10 times.

No one could live up to the expectations.

2600 Yards 35 TD

90 Receptions 850 yards and 10 TD

That should be about right. :mad:

I think LJ will be pretty solid this year but I dont think he will come close to what the projections are based on last season.

yeah hes not that good he only had the best 9 game streach of rushing in the history of the nfl...

wow they all must be raiders fans...dont take him and watch your wallet get smaller...

MEAT GAZER

:mad: What the hell? MEAT GAZER? I think I'd like it better if you went back into the closet. :mad:

I do find it funny that some of the people that are finding problems with LJ are the same ones who have Ronnie Brown 5-7th overall on their draft chart.

There's no reason why LJ can't have the greatest year ever for a RB.

Agreed. If Shields, Waters and Roaf stay healthy he'll be in good shape. Another factor is Trent Green. He's 36 and if he went down (or simply broke down) it would be a negative for LJ. LJ's so good he'll work through it but it could mean he has to work that much harder for the monster numbers we're expecting.

On a sidenote the Chiefs offense is getting old all of a sudden. Roaf is 36, Shields is 34, Wiegmann is 32, Green is 36, Gonzo is 30, Dunn is 32 and Kennison is 33 (Waters is also 29). This year could be their last big hurrah before they have to retool.

This is exactly the point I was going to make. The KC O line is great, but old. Remeber, they did have some trouble when Roaf was injured last year. An O Line can age quickly, look at Baltimore's line from last year. They were a once dominant run-blocking line, but last year they seemed to get old fast. It wasnt' all Lewis' fault (although he did run timid for most of the year). Factor in the loss of Saunders, addition of Herm (likes the run, but less dynamic play calling), and you have some questions.

That said, I still love L.J. and would likely pick him #1 if all things remain as they currently stand.

AS good?...............nooooooooo........BETTER.

and by the way, Larry didnt have Tony Richardson or an All World line at Penn State when he was kicking the college football nation's ass either......I think he'll be just fine.

At Penn St????? That has absolutely no bearing on the NFL.....ask Curtis Enis, Ki Jana Carter, Rashaan Salaam, Ron Dayne, William Green....need I go on.

I don't think LJ will be as great. New coach, offensive coordinator.....as great as LJ did last year where did it get them, nowhere. The philosophy has been "let's have the best fantasy player in the land for four years" and now and it has gotten the Chiefs nowhere. Obviously it's not the offenses fault, but I think things are gonna change...I think they have to change the entire philosophy of that team.

LJ is great no doubt, but to say he's gonna run for 2300+ yards is rediculous. If it was that easy, the record would be more than 2100 right now.

By the way, the reason Curtis Martin always ran so much is because he had to. Were they going to let Pennington pass...oh he can't, how bout Bollinger? The Jets had to run or it was over.

At Penn St????? That has absolutely no bearing on the NFL.....ask Curtis Enis, Ki Jana Carter, Rashaan Salaam, Ron Dayne, William Green....need I go on.

LJ is great no doubt, but to say he's gonna run for 2300+ yards is rediculous. If it was that easy, the record would be more than 2100 right now.

By the way, the reason Curtis Martin always ran so much is because he had to. Were they going to let Pennington pass...oh he can't, how bout Bollinger? The Jets had to run or it was over.

:thumbsup:

if someone does in college matter so much, where is Brad Banks these days?? yes, Brad Banks (QB, Iowa), the guy that finished ahead of LJ in Heisman voting (and behind Palmer).

or where is Luke Staley? who? Luke Staley (RB, BYU), the guy that won the Doak Walker RB award the year before LJ...

Think he'll have stats similar to what he finished at last year. He had 336 carries last year, he's not going to get much more than that. He was such an animal the second half of the season because he pretty much got a full season's worth of carries in 9 games, 5 games with more than 30 carries. That's not going to happen over an entire season unless Herm wants to kill him.

Think he'll have stats similar to what he finished at last year. He had 336 carries last year, he's not going to get much more than that. He was such an animal the second half of the season because he pretty much got a full season's worth of carries in 9 games, 5 games with more than 30 carries. That's not going to happen over an entire season unless Herm wants to kill him.

i think that's more reasonable to expect, with possibilities of getting up to 360-380 carries. Which still warrants serious #1 overall consideration...

if someone does in college matter so much, where is Brad Banks these days?? yes, Brad Banks (QB, Iowa), the guy that finished ahead of LJ in Heisman voting (and behind Palmer).

or where is Luke Staley? who? Luke Staley (RB, BYU), the guy that won the Doak Walker RB award the year before LJ...

C'mon, Luke Staley is white.....no such thing as a white tailback in the NFL.

C'mon, Luke Staley is white.....no such thing as a white tailback in the NFL.

:(

thanks. i just spit up my breakfast...

of course, he does have the raiders twice to rack up some yards in those games :(

I don't think LJ will be as great. New coach, offensive coordinator.....as great as LJ did last year where did it get them, nowhere. The philosophy has been "let's have the best fantasy player in the land for four years" and now and it has gotten the Chiefs nowhere. Obviously it's not the offenses fault, but I think things are gonna change...I think they have to change the entire philosophy of that team.

when a team isn't winning (and KC was 10 and 6 last year, so I don't know that they have been all that unsuccessful), they try to fix what is wrong, not change the things that are working for them. maybe the line doesn't play as well as they age. maybe lj doesn't do as well for any number of reasons. but to think they are going to dismantle a powerhouse offense because the defense sucks. whatever.

when a team isn't winning (and KC was 10 and 6 last year, so I don't know that they have been all that unsuccessful), they try to fix what is wrong, not change the things that are working for them. maybe the line doesn't play as well as they age. maybe lj doesn't do as well for any number of reasons. but to think they are going to dismantle a powerhouse offense because the defense sucks. whatever.

My apologies...for the not winning comment. Making the playoffs...say what you want, but the goal is to get into the playoffs to win a Super Bowl. Maybe they don't need to score 40 points a game and run for 8000 yards in a season. Maybe they can change the philosphy of the team, score about 20 and not give up 45, maybe a stronger empahasis on defense.

The Colts put up a chitload of points two years ago and did okay, they slowed things down a bit and really focused on making their defense better last year and could have went undefeated if not for some unfortunate events.

If the Chiefs are happy having the best fantasy player and not making the playoffs, keep doing what they're doing. I'll try and draft LJ myself, even if they play a more controlled game LJ is still a top 5 pick.

My apologies...for the not winning comment. Making the playoffs...say what you want, but the goal is to get into the playoffs to win a Super Bowl. Maybe they don't need to score 40 points a game and run for 8000 yards in a season. Maybe they can change the philosphy of the team, score about 20 and not give up 45, maybe a stronger empahasis on defense.

The Colts put up a chitload of points two years ago and did okay, they slowed things down a bit and really focused on making their defense better last year and could have went undefeated if not for some unfortunate events.

If the Chiefs are happy having the best fantasy player and not making the playoffs, keep doing what they're doing. I'll try and draft LJ myself, even if they play a more controlled game LJ is still a top 5 pick.

teams do not intentionally try to score fewer points. i am sure edwards will try to improve the defense, but he isn't going to say, "we need to play better d, so lets try not to do so well on offense."

teams do not intentionally try to score fewer points. i am sure edwards will try to improve the defense, but he isn't going to say, "we need to play better d, so lets try not to do so well on offense."

I agree with you. My point is simply that things need to change if the Chiefs are going to be a serious contender. All aspects of the team will change....one way or the other.

Here's a thought: LJ had his amazing breakout season last year. It's not coming. It's been.

The guy has three strikes against him right from the get-go in 2006: Richardson is gone, Al Saunders is gone, and the O-line is ancient. However, the biggest hurdle may very well be that LJ has already been named starter--he doesn't have to "prove" anything to anybody anymore.

Sure, there are arguments for and against huge numbers. But I have a feeling he'll ultimately be more interchangable in the 2006 Top 5 RBs than most folks want to admit.

I think LJ will put up great numbers and could be the number one fantasy back at years end... But... if I had the number one pick i am going with SA (I think)... I think he is just a little safer pick. His consistancy over the last 4 or 5 years is unreal... JMHO

Want to hear something retarded? Yesterday on NFL Live, Salsbury(spelling?) and the rest of the tards on the show were saying they would trade LJ for either Rudi J or Ronnie B in a heartbeat.

Okay here it is:

261 carries

1351 yards

26 receptions

276 yards

17 TD's

projected over a 16 game season

464 carries....NFL record by 54 carries.......29 carries per game

2401 yards....NFL record by 296 yards.......150 yards per game

30 TD's.........NFL record by 2 TD's

46 receptions

490 yards

Of his 200 yd games.

Week 17 He was 26-201-3 TD's vs the Bengals . The Bengals already had the division wrapped up and did not play their starters all game. Chiefs won 37-3

Week 11 he was 36-211-2 TD's in a 45-17 win over the Texans....IMO, his 200 yard games weren't as great as they seemed. They won both games by over 28 points...wouldn't it have been smart to take him out of the game? 36 carries...he had to have been in there til the end!

He had 30+ carries in 5 of nine games. He is a good sized back at 6'1, 220 lbs and he's only gonna be 27 years old. But, can he really carry the ball almost 30 times a game and average 3 receptions? I think the TD record could be within reach, but 131 yards per game is alot to get. That's what it will take to break the record. He's got a great O-Line and a good qb....that helps

Does that really sound possible, to break the rushing attempts record by that much (54)? If so, how long can he play....it was about two season after Jamal Anderson set the record that his body said enough! I think the biggest thing that everyone is overlooking is his health. If he is gonna be as great as he was to end last year....he'll have to tote the ball alot.....and there is a good chance of injuries happening. Even in Faulk and Holmes' days they didn't have the ball that much!

The kid has HIGH expectations and I don't think he'll be able to match them, especially considering they did nothing to help him.....Vermeil, Saunders and Richardson....gone....most important..they brought no one in to fill the voids at other skill positions. Samie Parker is still the #2?!

Good luck Larry....cause your on your own!

Okay here it is:

261 carries

1351 yards

26 receptions

276 yards

17 TD's

projected over a 16 game season

464 carries....NFL record by 54 carries.......29 carries per game

2401 yards....NFL record by 296 yards.......150 yards per game

30 TD's.........NFL record by 2 TD's

46 receptions

490 yards

Of his 200 yd games.

Week 17 He was 26-201-3 TD's vs the Bengals . The Bengals already had the division wrapped up and did not play their starters all game. Chiefs won 37-3

Week 11 he was 36-211-2 TD's in a 45-17 win over the Texans....IMO, his 200 yard games weren't as great as they seemed. They won both games by over 28 points...wouldn't it have been smart to take him out of the game? 36 carries...he had to have been in there til the end!

He had 30+ carries in 5 of nine games. He is a good sized back at 6'1, 220 lbs and he's only gonna be 27 years old. But, can he really carry the ball almost 30 times a game and average 3 receptions? I think the TD record could be within reach, but 131 yards per game is alot to get. That's what it will take to break the record. He's got a great O-Line and a good qb....that helps

Does that really sound possible, to break the rushing attempts record by that much (54)? If so, how long can he play....it was about two season after Jamal Anderson set the record that his body said enough! I think the biggest thing that everyone is overlooking is his health. If he is gonna be as great as he was to end last year....he'll have to tote the ball alot.....and there is a good chance of injuries happening. Even in Faulk and Holmes' days they didn't have the ball that much!

The kid has HIGH expectations and I don't think he'll be able to match them, especially considering they did nothing to help him.....Vermeil, Saunders and Richardson....gone....most important..they brought no one in to fill the voids at other skill positions. Samie Parker is still the #2?!

Good luck Larry....cause your on your own!

I don't care which week...against who...or which string of players he played against...200yds is 200yds...if it was that easy then why didn't the Texans give up 16 200yd rushers last year!!!!

I don't care which week...against who...or which string of players he played against...200yds is 200yds...if it was that easy then why didn't the Texans give up 16 200yd rushers last year!!!!

fyi,

the Texans finished w/ these rankings on Def:

passing D:

CMP / ATT / YD / YPA / TD / INT

304 / 469 / 3521 / 7.51 / 24 / 7 / 16

4 / 24 / 31 / 27 / 31

rushing D:

ATT / YD / YPA / TD / YD

506 / 2303 / 4.55 / 21 / 5824

29 / 32 / 30 / 29 / 31

so even though they didn't give up 200+ rush yds. every game, they were pretty frickin' awful... letting opponents avg. 143 rush yds per game.... unfortunately for LJ owners, they don't play HOU this year.

But as previously mentioned luckily they do still play da Raiders twice... :thumbsup:

Actually everyone spanked on the Texans, 8 teams had at least a 100 yd rusher exept I found this interesting:

Alexander ran for 141 yds on 22 carries and 4 Touchdowns.

Maurice Morris came in and ran for 104 yards and 1 TD. So if Shaun (the best ff back) would have stayed in he would have had 245 yds and 5 TD's and ended the season about ten yards short of 2000. But unlike the Chiefs, they didn't leave Shaun in for 36 carries.

But I agree....I don't care either, if my back gets me 200 yds....5 TD's....I don't care, my point was that if the Chiefs want to do something this year, they can't run LJ into the ground...when your up by 20-30 points...give the kid a breather! And this would lessen his fantasy value a littel...still an elite back, but not the Super Man that he's being made out to be.

Want to hear something retarded? Yesterday on NFL Live, Salsbury(spelling?) and the rest of the tards on the show were saying they would trade LJ for either Rudi J or Ronnie B in a heartbeat.

I love it when people like you act like they are so above everyone. How the hell do you know whether LJ is actually a better RB than Rudi J or Ronnie B. KC has the best line in the NFL and it's hard to compare RBs, so you couldn't possibly be that certain one way or the other unless you saw those other two RBs run in KCs system.

LJ put up better numbers than LT, is he better than LT too? LT would rush for 3000 yards behind KCs line.

I dont think that he is going to get 2000 yards and 25 scores but I also dont think that he will be a guy who FF'ballers are going to have been ashamed at picking in round 1....

1600-1700 yards with 18 TD

Alexander ran for 141 yds on 22 carries and 4 Touchdowns.

Maurice Morris came in and ran for 104 yards and 1 TD. So if Shaun (the best ff back) would have stayed in he would have had 245 yds and 5 TD's and ended the season about ten yards short of 2000. But unlike the Chiefs, they didn't leave Shaun in for 36 carries.

:lol: I love these kind of assumptions! So all of a sudden in Shaun’s last 8 carries he would have averaged 13 ypc like Mo did? Yeah……ok. :blink: FYI, LJ had 138 yards rushing and 2 TDs after 22 carries in his game against Houston.

However, if it’s necessary to pretend that his games against Houston and Cincinnati were meaningless, lets compare the only other common opponents Shaun and LJ played last year and their defensive rank against the run:

Shaun

NYG #12 def rank 31-110, 1 TD 0 rec. yds

DAL #15 def rank 21-61, 0 TD 4 rec. yds

LJ

NYG #12 def rank 31-167, 2 TD 17 rec yds

DAL #15 def rank 26-143, 3 TD 28 rec yds

I’m sure with 5 more carries in the Dallas game Shaun would have run for at least 82 yards and 3 TDs right Cuse?

Oh and since Shaun didn’t have to play the top 2 defenses last year, why don’t we look at how poorly LJ did in his starts against them:

LJ

SD #1 def rank 32-131 1 TD 48 rec yds 1 TD

DEN #2 def rank 30-140 2 TD 9 rec yds

9 starts, 9 100+ yard games to finish the season! :ninja:

Why is it that people are so quick to dismiss what Larry did last year? Have people just forgotten what Priest did each year he was healthy? Is LJ the best RB in the game? Probably not, but we’ll have a better idea in 2007 if Roaf and Shields retire. Is LJ the best fantasy RB in the game this year? Most definitely yes! :first:

:blink: What the hell? MEAT GAZER? I think I'd like it better if you went back into the closet. :blink:

I do find it funny that some of the people that are finding problems with LJ are the same ones who have Ronnie Brown 5-7th overall on their draft chart.

There's no reason why LJ can't have the greatest year ever for a RB.

you think its funny to have ronnie at 5-7, why is that? i have LJ at 1 and wouldnt take SA or LT2 above him. but back to ronnie, he is young, big, durable(havent seen anything to suggest he isnt), can recieve, block, he is the #1 back there now, has cpepp and good recievers to keep DEF honest, good miami defense and good miami offense should have miami on top alot of games leading to more rushing attempts for ronnie...