Sign in to follow this  
AirRam

Don't look now but the UN *might* have to do their job in the Middle East

Color me shocked if it happens.

UN to push for Lebanon stabilisation force

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:25 AM BST

By David Clarke

ST PETERSBURG, Russia (Reuters) - United Nations Security Council members will on Monday start hammering out a detailed agreement on deploying a multilateral security force to Lebanon, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said.

World leaders at a Group of Eight summit in St Petersburg had raised the possibility of a force at the weekend. But Annan, after talks with Prime Minister Tony Blair, said he would push ahead with the plan as a matter of urgency.

Blair and Annan told reporters they will take discussions forward on Monday with Security Council members. With China's President Hu Jintao in St Petersburg as a guest, all five permanent members are present at the summit.

"I intend to pursue this with the other leaders, as I have with the prime minister (Blair), later on," Annan said.

"Several of the countries here are also key members of the Security Council and I expect them to work with us to get the package that will push this forward."

Annan said his officials in the region should report back to him with recommendations by the end of this week.

Once the Security Council had agreed on the force, it would need a contingent of well-equipped troops ready to deploy to the region quickly, he added.

It's already changing from rockets and bombs to a ground war.

Israel has troops in Lebanon.

Gee...I wonder if the UN would have their own troops...oh...I dunno'...enforce the 2004 UN resolution that called for the disarming of militants like Hezbollah!?! :thumbsup:

Havent we been here before? :cheers: :thumbsup:

Once the Security Council had agreed on the force, it would need a contingent of well-equipped troops ready to deploy to the region quickly, he added.

Translated to:

Once the Security Council has agreed on the force, it would need The United States military, a contingent of well-equipped troops, to leave Iraq quickly and redeploy to the region, he added

A lot of leaders think Isreal went a little overboard and started an all out war over a small kidnapping incident. But at this point, Isreal seems committed. Unless the UN steps in, I don't believe Isreal is going to stop until most of Lebanon is in ruins.

It's easy to sympathize with Isreal, who's probably tired of weaker countries taking cheap shots at them all the time. But Ireal did encourage this, when they exchanged prisoners for hostages back in the 90's. Hezboula is probably thinking "We just wanted the same deal as last time. We weren't expecting a full blown war."

I hope the UN can find a resolution. A lot of innocent people on both sides are going to get killed.

I think the act of entering the politcal arena and allowing themselves to become part of the political process has placed these groups into an area of existence for which they do not posess enough understanding to make it work. THey do not seem to understand that the stupid sh!t they are used to pulling now takes on an entirely new status when they are members of the government of a nation.

I absolutely think they wanted to use the old method od taking prisoners and swapping etc. I think they also wanted to take advantage of Isreals primary attention being on Hamas et al. I am certain that to them it was an opportunity to show off, poke at Israel and what not.

They could not have though that it would come to this, but they seem to have been ready for it at least. One thing is for certain. those six years of building up, making things nice in Lebanon are going to be totally negated. Israel will chew them to pieces and I applaud them for it :ninja:

It's easy to sympathize with Isreal, who's probably tired of weaker countries taking cheap shots at them all the time. But Ireal did encourage this, when they exchanged prisoners for hostages back in the 90's. Hezboula is probably thinking "We just wanted the same deal as last time. We weren't expecting a full blown war."

And that's what anyone can expect if they try to negotiate and have diplomacy with terrorists.

Unfortunately, some people just don't seem to understand that concept.

As sickening as I find the thought of even a single innocent civilian death, even more discomfiting is the prospect of the UN going in and trying to "fix" what literally decades of diplomacy could not. I don't think this is necessarily good news at all...

Edit: Then again, the UN pretty much gave us this situation so maybe they SHOULD be forced to deal with it.

Translated to:

Once the Security Council has agreed on the force, it would need The United States military, a contingent of well-equipped troops, to leave Iraq quickly and redeploy to the region, he added

we won't need to leave Iraq. There are troops that we could deploy there or North Korea if needed. True many of our heroes are working OT, but there are some here at home that are asking to go over there and not being assigned. I'm just speaking from conversations I had w/ an Army drill SGT. that trains troops in Ashland, NE.

Regardless, I think the US should just stay out of this one. Let Israel fight this fight. The UN doesn't deserve our full cooperation IMO. Those crooked bastards need to figure out how to deal w/ their own crap besides I think they are all talk. All my confidence in them was lost after they dropped the ball on the Iraq sanctions and all that corruption was uncovered.

On the national news last night, Isreali officials seemed surprised and outraged that Hezbollah (sp?) retaliated against Northern Isreal with rockets.

I'm on Isreal's side and all, but how could they possibly be surprised? They blew the crap out of Lebanon and Hezbollah's hedquarters... what did they think would happen?

On the national news last night, Isreali officials seemed surprised and outraged that Hezbollah (sp?) retaliated against Northern Isreal with rockets.

I'm on Isreal's side and all, but how could they possibly be surprised? They blew the crap out of Lebanon and Hezbollah's hedquarters... what did they think would happen?

Yeah...I didn't quite get that either. Unless they were just shocked and suprised and Hezbollah was given access to and used new weapons that had further range and destructive power than they had anticipated.

Unless they were just shocked and suprised and Hezbollah was given access to and used new weapons that had further range and destructive power than they had anticipated.

You may be right. Isreal might have underestimated Hezbollah's fight.

I'm actually a little surprised how far Isreal went. I mean, blowing up Hezbollah's headquarters was one thing, but Isreal blew up the airport, food supplies, and other major infrastructure in Lebanon. Seems like they're gearing up for a long term war.

I'm actually a little surprised how far Isreal went. I mean, blowing up Hezbollah's headquarters was one thing, but Isreal blew up the airport, food supplies, and other major infrastructure in Lebanon.

Can't really speak to the other stuff, but the airport was a legitimate military target.

As we all know Iran supplies Hezbollah w/weapons. Apparently, Iran would pack as much as $150 million worth of weapons each month into a 747 and send it off to Lebanon. The international airport is the only one in the country that can accomodate such a large aircraft.

So, maybe if the Lebanese hadn't let Iran and Hezbollah use their fancy new airport as the central hub of their gun running operation...

Can't really speak to the other stuff, but the airport was a legitimate military target.

I'm sure it was. But wheat silos? Seems like if you're going after food supplies, you're getting ready for a long term fight. Which is not what Isreal usually does. Normally, they just send a few attack helicopters to blow something up and then they all go home.

Normally, they just send a few attack helicopters to blow something up and then they all go home.

Yeah...that hasn't been working out too greta. :cheers:

ETA: Considering how Islamic militants don't seem to have many qualms about hiding weapons in mosques and schools, it's probably not a stretch to think that maybe they were hiding weapons in wheat silos. (Just guessing and pure speculation on my part tho.)

Hey, I don't blame Isreal. I just feel sorry for the day to day regular people of Lebanon and Isreal who are now caught in the middle of all this.

For their sake, I hope it ends peacefully.

Yeah...that hasn't been working out too greta. :huh:

ETA: Considering how Islamic militants don't seem to have many qualms about hiding weapons in mosques and schools, it's probably not a stretch to think that maybe they were hiding weapons in wheat silos. (Just guessing and pure speculation on my part tho.)

They would hide them in schools, then happily lament the aweful Israeli's for hurting their precious little future suicide bombers.

They have this down to a system, they hide behind women and children like it is cool, then assail the Israeli's when those women and children get hurt.

These militants dont give two sh!ts about the people they claim to be fighting for..... :angry:

I'm sure it was. But wheat silos? Seems like if you're going after food supplies, you're getting ready for a long term fight. Which is not what Isreal usually does. Normally, they just send a few attack helicopters to blow something up and then they all go home.

They are not looking for a long term conflict.......they are attemting to force Lebanon to take direct action against the militants by squeezing them. If you cut off tourist $$, oil & food & begin a methodical destruction of the highway system & other infrastructure the govt. will have 2 choices.....act or take a seat & watch it go down. If you can't control your dogs.......one of your neighbors will :huh: