Sign in to follow this  
thedanzone

Heard on the radio today about DET WRs

Camp started today for Detroit and it was announced on the radio that Rogers is coming into camp as the #2 WR.

Mike Williams is the only Lion who came into camp overweight.

Camp started today for Detroit and it was announced on the radio that Rogers is coming into camp as the #2 WR.

Are you sure? I thought I heard at lunch this noon that it was going to be Bradford and Rogers would be in the mix for the slot.

You don't say. :headbanger:

hmm... must have skipped voluntary workouts... :D

or did he go to the voluntary workouts, and it's just that they were so soft that he managed to show up overweight anyway? :cheers:

Are you sure? I thought I heard at lunch this noon that it was going to be Bradford and Rogers would be in the mix for the slot.

The report was erroneous. Rogers is working with the #2 unit. Bradford is working with the first team right now.

define "overweight": he was down 16 pounds from last year the first camp this spring and the lions set a target weight for him (which was pretty aggressive). i doubt he was overweight ala last year--just not at the target weight.

define "overweight": he was down 16 pounds from last year the first camp this spring and the lions set a target weight for him (which was pretty aggressive). i doubt he was overweight ala last year--just not at the target weight.

This is GREAT news. He's may be a fatass, but he's not a fat as he was last year! HA!!!

Spin spin away...

Yeah, it was WDFN. They said he is coming into camp as the #2 WR and they had a 5 second comment by Rogers. Rogers said something like, "I'm coming to work with my hard hat on and trying to compete for a spot like everyone else."

hmm... must have skipped voluntary workouts... :D

or did he go to the voluntary workouts, and it's just that they were so soft that he managed to show up overweight anyway? :cheers:

hey, maybe he did. :D

lion shiat, bear shiat, shiat is shiat.

They did mention target weight.

lion shiat, bear shiat, shiat is shiat.

Nah, Bear shiat is the shiat of a winner.

Lions shiat is just shiat.

Even if it is target weight - he's the ONLY one that didn't hit it. But hey, it's still great news somehow I'm sure. :cheers:

This is GREAT news. He's may be a fatass, but he's not a fat as he was last year! HA!!!

Spin spin away...

Classic. :cheers:

Ah, I see. here is a cut and paste of the above link...

Lions WR Rogers is not No. 2, as reported

7/28/2006

After the first training camp practice some media outlets are reporting that Charles Rogers is the No. 2 WR. They're not wrong, it's what Rod Marinelli said. But, Killer says Marinelli meant he was with the No. 2 group.

TomKowalski: About Rogers ... some people are reporting that rogers is the no. 2 receiver ... that's misleading ... rogers is running with the no. 2 offense (with glenn martinez) ... rogers was with the no. 3 offense in the last camp so this is significant ... roy williams and corey bradford are still in the starting rotation ...

http://www.mlive.com/

FMW will continue to prove he was one of the worse top 10 picks in the last couple years.

Millen's a genius... :banana:

and from the same above link, and i quote:

"--- Mike Williams refused to talk to reporters after practice. And it's probably best that he puts the entire "fine'' situation behind him. He did show, though, why he could be such a threat. He was being covered by Dre Bly on deep ball down the middle and, while Bly is clearly faster than Williams, Williams used his size to keep Bly behind him and easily caught the touchdown pass."

:banana:

and i find no link on any lion board, mlive.com or anything kowalski's extensive blog of day 1 about mike wililams being overweight. but let's keep looking: we don't want to disappoint the miserably unhappy bearz homers :lol:

Nah, Bear shiat is the shiat of a winner.

Lions shiat is just shiat.

Even if it is target weight - he's the ONLY one that didn't hit it. But hey, it's still great news somehow I'm sure. :)

link that he didn't and he was the only one? haven't found one yet. have you? not saying it isn't out there--but you demanded "proof" in the other thread about benson's hands (and then dismissed it anyway) and yet you jumping on unsubstantiated info in this thread and running a million miles an hour with it.

oops. again.

danzone: i appreciate the clarification. i remember in the spring mike had lost so much weight that the lions actually LOWERED his target weight a second time. so even if this is true, he overall is doing much better in relation to last year.

still, i'd like to see a credible link on it and the specific number he's at and the specific number the lions want him at. my hunch is that those numbers aren't that far apart.

regardless of what team chuck is or isn't running with, tom k said he came in camp at lean and mean 195 and looked very good.

good early news.

my hunch is that those numbers aren't that far apart.

Irrelevant - he was the ONLY guy that couldn't hit the numbers, that is a pretty significant indictment of the guy. Just showing once again that he's not the professional that even 99% of the Lions players are....and that's saying a TON.

Irrelevant - he was the ONLY guy that couldn't hit the numbers, that is a pretty significant indictment of the guy. Just showing once again that he's not the professional that even 99% of the Lions players are....and that's saying a TON.

again, we have no link of any it. nothing.

what would have been your response had a poster said "hey, i heard on the radio today that benson was overweight."

i can tell you your response, because you've twisted in the wind this way for about a dozen posts in the jone thread: you would demand a link (and then dismiss the link when one was provided).

relax. your bears have bigger problems than mike williams alledged weight. you need to start focusing on curing those :huh:

:huh:

FMW

again, we have no link of any it. nothing.

what would have been your response had a poster said "hey, i heard on the radio today that benson was overweight."

i can tell you your response, because you've twisted in the wind this way for about a dozen posts in the jone thread: you would demand a link (and then dismiss the link when one was provided).

relax. your bears have bigger problems than mike williams alledged weight. you need to start focusing on curing those :huh:

Mike Williams is fat, linkboy. :D

:blink:

Mike Williams is fat, linkboy. :D

:blink:

dude, at the end of the day, mike williams--or your opinion of him--doesn't really matter one iota to me or my life.

knock yourself out. :huh:

but, hey, this is easy so why not, i'll play just to make it fun: benson is a lazy, stone-handed ######! :D

dude, at the end of the day, mike williams--or your opinion of him--doesn't really matter one iota to me or my life.

knock yourself out. :huh:

but, hey, this is easy so why not, i'll play just to make it fun: benson is a lazy, stone-handed ######! :blink:

It doesn't matter to you, so much that I'm sure this thread will hit 100.

:D

What the hell happened to Mike Williams? He seemed so solid when he declared a few years ago. Seemed like a hard worker, and a stand-up guy. He actually came off as eloquent and smart. His behavior and actions says otherwise, I guessing living in Detroit is a killjoy. The guy has freakish ability but he needs to get his act together, big time.

What the hell happened to Mike Williams? He seemed so solid when he declared a few years ago. Seemed like a hard worker, and a stand-up guy. He actually came off as eloquent and smart. His behavior and actions says otherwise, I guessing living in Detroit is a killjoy. The guy has freakish ability but he needs to get his act together, big time.

For as much money as he pissed away in fines last year, he could have lived in Chicago and commuted to Detroit for practice and games. I understand not wanting to live in the armpit of America but don't ruin your future over it.

from tom kowalski's 7-28-06 chat transcript at mlive.com

"jreffy: Killer, how "slightly overweight" was BMW?

TomKowalski: MIKE WILLIAMS WAS ONLY A FEW POUNDS OVERWEIGHT ... NOT SURE OF THE NUMBER ..."

given he exceeded the lions goal weight THREE MONTHS AGO and the lions gave him a second goal weight because of that, i think, overall, that's pretty good. certainly nothing to cut him over or run him over with a car like most want to do here :pointstosky: :huh:

if mike was down 16 pounds from last year's weight at the time the lions gave him a new goal weight...and he's only a "few pounds" from that new weight total...that means he's currently about 20 pounds down from his weight last year.

and that's bad...how again? :wub:

oh, and tom said both mike and charles "looked good" today on the field.

oh, come on: this thread was steaming along just fine when we all wanted to believe the absolute worst about mike...why no posts lately after it was reported he looked good at practice?

:rolleyes: :( :mad:

cat got your tongues?

hey, it ain't my fault you guys have been so irrationally venomous toward mike and said he has no purpose even living. kinda leaves you nowhere to go, know what i mean?

it'd be better if you all just relax and let mike have this season and see what it brings. then you don't run the risk of looking like complete azzes.

oh, come on: this thread was steaming along just fine when we all wanted to believe the absolute worst about mike...why no posts lately after it was reported he looked good at practice?

:.

Even a few pounds overweight should not be acceptable after what he pulled last year.

Williams needs to report on time and at or under weight and show he's ready to play

He needs to perform like a 1st round pick

nuff said

it'd be better if you all just relax and let mike have this season and see what it brings. then you don't run the risk of looking like complete azzes.

Heed your own advice to others regarding Cedric Benson. TIA

:lol: :thumbsup: :P

cat got your tongues?

hey, it ain't my fault you guys have been so irrationally venomous toward mike and said he has no purpose even living. kinda leaves you nowhere to go, know what i mean?

For a guy that "doesn't care" about what other people think, you sure spend a lot of time perpetuating these threads and crying for attention.

Even a few pounds overweight should not be acceptable after what he pulled last year.

Williams needs to report on time and at or under weight and show he's ready to play

He needs to perform like a 1st round pick

nuff said

Your right, they should kick him out of camp and not give him any opportunity. Even if he hit the 1st goal and was a few pounds short of the second. NOT :lol:

Your right, they should kick him out of camp and not give him any opportunity. Even if he hit the 1st goal and was a few pounds short of the second. NOT :thumbsdown:

I understand you're sympathetic because after you left the fries in the deep fryer at McDonalds too long 6 or 7 times the boss still kept you on but I didn't say don't give him a chance just that he should have reported at weight then we would'nt be talking about this or giving anyone another reason to rip on him

Mike Williams has a lot of talent but the problem is he just doesn't apply himself properly. I think he'll learn the hard way and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get cut in training camp. Getting sent home by the head coach is not a good thing. I believe things started going south for Williams when he got some bad advice and liek Clarrett, challenged the NFL and both guys got hammered. It's too bad you see talent like that go to waste.

not sure if this will work or not, but here's a video clip of the lions practice on friday. at the 36-second mark of the video there's about 10-15 seconds of mike, chuck, and roy each running a drill.

check it out yourself. if we listen to some of you clowns you'd think they had to wheel mike out there on a forklift or something. yeah, he looks so out of shape and fat on the first day of practice :pointstosky:

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/lion...sp&rbnkey=1

I understand you're sympathetic because after you left the fries in the deep fryer at McDonalds too long 6 or 7 times the boss still kept you on but I didn't say don't give him a chance just that he should have reported at weight then we would'nt be talking about this or giving anyone another reason to rip on him

so if the lions wanted him to report at 220 and he reported at about 222...we should kill him? this is a non-story and you certainly will, and would, make a big deal about it because it's the fav whipping boy, mike williams.

this is how stupid the negativity is: no one says boo about him dropping 16 pounds and the lions lowering his goal weight TWICE this spring (because he exceeded their early expectations in that deparment)--nope, he didn't drop 17.5 for the FIRST DAY of camp (or 18 or whatever).

that really, stupidly, is what this entire focking thread is essentially about. :pointstosky:

...and from the afternoon practice:

"During practice, Williams showed why he could be a force in the offense. On an underthrown bomb down the right sideline (by Josh McCown), Williams outmaneuvered veteran cornerback Jamar Fletcher and went up and snatched the ball cleanly for the catch."--tom kowalski

gee, two good practices in one day (*gasp?*) ohmygod!!!!

:pointstosky:

saturday morning's practice as per tom's blog (mlive.com)

"The coaches appear to be mixing up the units at receiver, tight end and backup running back. Tight end Casey FitzSimmons took all the snaps with the No. 1 offense and Marcus Pollard was with the second unit and, when receiver Corey Bradford left practice with cramps, Mike Williams jumped into his role with the No. 1 offense. Charles Rogers and Glenn Martinez stayed at No. 2. During a 7-on-7 period, both Williams and Rogers took turns with the No. 1 offense."