Sign in to follow this  
iforgotmypassword

Frank Gore

Frank Gore is very intriguing to me this year.

He's a locked in starter, but he's not being drafted til 7+.

Meanwhile, on other teams, backups, 3rd stringers, and potential hopefulls are being drafted.

Why is this? What does everyone else know that I dont??

Granted, his team is horrid, but isn't a starter on a bad team still better than a backup on a good team?

Someone explain to me why he isn't going earlier. Cuz I take him in all of my mocks, and I feel like i'm stealing...

Here's a Niners follower's perspective, and I'm sure scooter will have a nice say into this:

As far as I know (and most of the guys on the 49ers forum know), Gore is for sure going to split time with KEvan Barlow.

The only games that Gore received a significant amount of carries are when Barlow was out with an injury.

Personally, I don't feel like the Niners staff wants to give up on Barlow yet, mainly because they want to blaim their bad running game last year on Fred Beasley and his complaining and bad-play. Oh, and also barlow is still one of the higher paid players on the team.

Also, I just don't feel like Gore has the skills to pull away from Barlow or even M. Hicks to become the undisputed starter that will be guarenteed 20 carries a game.

oh, and from a fantasy prespective, I think most drafts got his place right. Unless Mike Nolan announces that Gore will be the #1 guy and will get 20 carries a game, I don't think I would draft the guy before the 6th round.

Here's a Niners follower's perspective, and I'm sure scooter will have a nice say into this:

As far as I know (and most of the guys on the 49ers forum know), Gore is for sure going to split time with KEvan Barlow.

The only games that Gore received a significant amount of carries are when Barlow was out with an injury.

Personally, I don't feel like the Niners staff wants to give up on Barlow yet, mainly because they want to blaim their bad running game last year on Fred Beasley and his complaining and bad-play. Oh, and also barlow is still one of the higher paid players on the team.

Also, I just don't feel like Gore has the skills to pull away from Barlow or even M. Hicks to become the undisputed starter that will be guarenteed 20 carries a game.

oh, and from a fantasy prespective, I think most drafts got his place right. Unless Mike Nolan announces that Gore will be the #1 guy and will get 20 carries a game, I don't think I would draft the guy before the 6th round.

Riceman has it right. Money has something to do with it, but Barlow isnt "that bad" His team has been putrid the last two years, so it isn't like he has had opportunities. With the overall improvement of his team, he should be better as well. Gore scares me beacuase of that horrid knee injury... that has to be the most devastaing knee injury ive EVER seen....

cept mabye that thiesman injury...but that was just his leg sticking out

How can Gore be JJ's twin brother. JJ didn't do a damn thing. Atleast Gore as done something. But it all depends on Barlow.

Riceman has it right. Money has something to do with it, but Barlow isnt "that bad" His team has been putrid the last two years, so it isn't like he has had opportunities. With the overall improvement of his team, he should be better as well. Gore scares me beacuase of that horrid knee injury... that has to be the most devastaing knee injury ive EVER seen....

cept mabye that thiesman injury...but that was just his leg sticking out

I could be wrong...but I have a feeling you are confusing McGahee's injury with Gore. McGahee is the one that took the nasty hit during the Fiesta bowl in 2003....

The simple fact of the matter is that Gore is ALOT more talented than Kevin Barlow. I may not be a Niners fan...but I've been watching Gore since high school and through the miracel of Sunday ticket I've also gotten a pretty good look at Barlow. No comparision between the two. Gore has something that good runners are born with...and that Barlow will NEVER have....and that's great vision between the tackles. Gore is now 2 years removed from all his knee injuries so you're going to see him get even better. He was one of the best running backs I had ever seen before the injuries, coming out of high school. If he's even 90% of that he'll beat out Barlow. Barlow is a waste of space in my opinion....I thoroughly believe the only reason he keeps getting chance after chance is the fact that Shanahan had the now infamous quote that Barlow was the best running back in the draft the year he came out.....which just proves Shanahan is human and makes mistakes like the rest of us. I've always found that quote funny since, hypothetically speaking, if Shanahan really liked him that much I think he would have drafted him himself.

Not getting the correlation between Gore and JJ.

Oh, and also barlow is still one of the higher paid players on the team.

Unfortunately, pay scale has a lot to do with who gets the edge on the starter job. Looking at the last 3 games of last year, Gore looked pretty good even though one of them was the "Reggie Bush Bowl" (or so we thought) with Houston.

Even if he is named a #1 starter and there's a limited chance of RBBC, he's still a forgettable player on a forgettable team, so he should be there late.

Keep your hands inside the carriage at all times and don't reach.

JJ had 112 carries with a 3.3 average for 370 yards and 2 TDs. 25 receptions for 139 yards.

Gore had 127 carries with a 4.8 average for 608 yards and 3 TDs. 15 receptions for 131 yards.

Its clear IMO that Gore has established himself as a much better back. Gore is a guy with the realistic potential to tally up 1500 yards this year. I love the fact that Norv Turner is the OC there as his track record is amazing with backs.

JJ had 112 carries with a 3.3 average for 370 yards and 2 TDs. 25 receptions for 139 yards.

Gore had 127 carries with a 4.8 average for 608 yards and 3 TDs. 15 receptions for 131 yards.

Its clear IMO that Gore has established himself as a much better back. Gore is a guy with the realistic potential to tally up 1500 yards this year. I love the fact that Norv Turner is the OC there as his track record is amazing with backs.

Gore averaged 4.8 yards per game - which is better then his Miami U Alums, James, Portis, MaGahee. I am HIGH on him esp where his ADP is.

Barlow has been a hack since he was over hyped at UPitt... can't believe he got that contract and playing time... Gore is a wild card, and he is being drafted as such... a starting RB on a horrible offense isn't as great as it seems...

Isnt virtually every NFL team a RBBC commitee now? Not the obvious ones of course (SEA, SD, KC, NYG etc...). But, once you get away from the top 8 or so, i think every back loses carries to the backups. Based on that and on what i saw from Gore last year, i'd take him above the ADP this year. It depends on how my draft goes and what my team looks like in the 5th or 6th, but i'd consider him as high as early 5th rnd. I have the 2nd pick in a "ppr, redraft, 6 pt TDs for all" league and i was thinking of going RB-WR-WR-RB. So, in that scenario, i probably wouldnt take him. But, if for some reason i go RB-WR-WR-QB, then I would definitely snacth him up in the 5th.

Frank Gore is very intriguing to me this year.

He's a locked in starter, but he's not being drafted til 7+.

Meanwhile, on other teams, backups, 3rd stringers, and potential hopefulls are being drafted.

Why is this? What does everyone else know that I dont??

Granted, his team is horrid, but isn't a starter on a bad team still better than a backup on a good team?

Someone explain to me why he isn't going earlier. Cuz I take him in all of my mocks, and I feel like i'm stealing...

this topic is rendered invalid because Barlow is listed atop the depth chart. This was just discussed on local sports radio. He is "locked in" as a backup in what will be a RBBC at best for Gore.

Team is concerned about his durability.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=218326

Scooter, http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/SF saids Gore is #1.

As far as I know, the official niners site have not released a depth chart therefore there is no clear #1 RB.

Gore seems like an overvalued #3 RB to me

Niners' beat writer said on KNBR about an hour ago that Barlow did all the work with the 1st team and is atop the depth chart.

Again, when asked if Gore had a chance to usurp Barlow's hold on the position, the answer was that such a situation was unlikely since the team has no faith in Gore's ability to sustain the punishment of 20 carries a game. If Barlow went down for any reason it would be a RBBC of Hicks and Gore.

I think taking Gore as a #3 RB in any format is suicidal.

There's also been rumors of a Barlow and Ashley Lelie trade blowing in the wind.

Ya Lelie will save the niners season :huh:

Ya Lelie will save the niners season :huh:

It'll clear up the backfield situation a little bit and give the young QB another good recieving option.

Nice.

Thanks for all the info guys. Gore is officially off of my radar.

Now I have to start researching another late round RB steal...

I've noticed in my 14 team league that Barlow is undrafted. Maybe i'll swap the two...

What about Greg Jones. Surely Fraud can't stick around all season...

Its wait and see IMO. Whoever wins the job might be a big time sleeper with Norv's track record. I understand durability is a oncern, but so is Barlow's 3.3 yards per carry average over the last 2 years.

It'll clear up the backfield situation a little bit and give the young QB another good recieving option.

Wait.... Did you just say Lelie and good WR option in the same sentance :(

He's the locked in starter?

I'd like too know where you heard he was the lock for the starter. I thought it was all up for grabs. Love to see a link. :banana:

Fine. I'll explain it....

Last year, Arrington was supposed to be a super sleeper RB on a terrible team, who people thought was going to carry the team.

This year, a lot of people (or perhaps, just me...) consider Gore to be this same guy, on a similar team...

Last year, Arrington crashed and burned, and Arizona had no running game all year. Gore could very easily do the same this year....

That's all I meant.

Geez....

can the sf off line be as bad as they were last yr......when i saw them on tv the line really looked ...just lost....barblow had NO running room...i think its just as much the line as it is the rbs at sf...one more point...its not like the sf qb is scaring def's with the passing attack...

can the sf off line be as bad as they were last yr......when i saw them on tv the line really looked ...just lost....barblow had NO running room...i think its just as much the line as it is the rbs at sf...one more point...its not like the sf qb is scaring def's with the passing attack...

Perhaps if you think FFB is something you're cut out for, you'd pay attention to movement and players returning from injury. Jennings return and the addition of Larry Allen make this one of the best O-Lines in the NFC.

But that's ok - keep living in the past.

Here's two links that list Gore first.

Notice that one is our own FFtoday...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/SF

http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/depth.php?TeamI...7&order_by=

oh, you mean FFT that had Barlow as a top 12 pick a couple years ago, despite the team imploding all around him? :mad:

LOLOLOL!! Love the title to this thread. Nice one.

As for Gore, he is sleeper. Arrington was going as concensus #1 rookie RB and taken anywhere from 4th round (little high) to 6th round (a tad low). Gore is going later, which makes him good value at his current slot. Wouldn't pay a 4th or 5th for him, but 7th and beyond is great pick.

LOLOLOL!! Love the title to this thread. Nice one.

As for Gore, he is sleeper. Arrington was going as concensus #1 rookie RB and taken anywhere from 4th round (little high) to 6th round (a tad low). Gore is going later, which makes him good value at his current slot. Wouldn't pay a 4th or 5th for him, but 7th and beyond is great pick.

People keep saying this but no one says why.

most senseless hype picks seem to be this way.

:rolleyes: